3DCoat Forums

OK they all seem great. Odd thing though... The tool called SCULPT_SFEXTRUDE just crashed my computer. I had used the other tools and enjoyed them, then I increased res twice and tried that extrude tool and it "flipped out" on me, made really huge extrusions. I was trying to undo so that I could do it again on video, but my mouse was frozen. Every once it a while I could get it to move a few inches, but then eventually I just gave up and shut down my computer with the power button.

• Advanced Member

Great, great update, Andrew!

Surface tools rock now! It is interesting how everything is shaping up - at this point some might even say that need for direct voxel tools is diminishing. But i'll wait and see how it evolves :)

Cut&Clone - dream tool! Would be awesome if it had limited and adjustable depth instead of copying everything through. Also multiplying "the paste" with current brush profile would be awesome. You can even consider making just "Copy" and using existing "Merge" tool - just add "voxel buffer" to Merge options.

Great job again!

• Advanced Member

Testing the latest alpha 55 release here i got this errormessage when i did the following. I imported the camel mesh which is included with 3DC, then i clicked on the retopo tool, that caused 3DC to crash with this errormessage. This is when i used the DX version.

f_3DCretopocrm_786b41a.jpg

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

Loving the new tools.

Sorry to be the bearer of more bad news...

I am afraid I am getting a pretty serious out of memory error though. After about 100 uses of the move tool and 10 minutes work, this alpha just crashes. I have tested it a few times while watching the little memory counter in the bottom left corner.

This happens with the DX and GL versions.

With the last alpha I was able to doodle away for hours.

After installing and dinking with it, it crashed on me too. Due to running out of memory, after 27 minutes.

Hi Andrew,

Loving the new tools.

I am afraid I am getting a pretty serious out of memory error though. After about 100 uses of the move tool and 10 minutes work, this alpha just crashes. I have tested it a few times while watching the little memory counter in the bottom left corner.

Hi Andrew,

Loving the new tools.

I have found the reason of memory leaking, it is fixed. Update is coming in few hours.

Hmm smoothing with Transpose doesn't seem to work at all now. Everything else seems fine except for that file I sent in the bug report about which still crashes 3DC.

The new shaders look great, I never expected to see shaders with textures. The only thing I find a little strange is he Silver shaders seem to be reflecting something but it seems to be behind the models so you only sometimes see little glimpses of it. It's not bad I guess, just a little strange.

Edit: I spoke too soon. Gum (strange name BTW) still causes spikes, no crashing though.

2009-01-10_0948.png

Edit again: Not sure if this is 3DC related but as I'm working with retopo, every minute or two my screen goes black and I get an error that the display driver has crashed and recovered. The screen stays black until I force it to refresh by maximizing the window then unmaximizing.

• Advanced Member

Im confused by this focus on polygon (surface) tools. I see how fast they are which i find a real coding achievement on your part. But can you please explain to me why you would want to choose mesh sculpting operations on a "limited" polygon surface with a conversion back to voxels over true voxel operations? You choose for a way that degrades sculpting smoothness for no good reason that i can see. And eventhough its very fast there is still a delay on conversion. The gum brush i could understand to a certain degree (super hf detail is hard(er) to do in voxels) but clay?!

Why didnt you spend the time on improving the voxel frankenstein clay brush? Make the scrape brush react on pressure better? Give it more options so it can act like a true voxel flatten if we want to, or even better, give us a seperate voxel flatten? Improve brush handling in general (facetting strokes, strokes burying into surface, pressure sens smoothing)? Improve the voxel pinch brush?

I see alot of improvements/new features that really matter like the layering system, clone and cutting brushes and primitives. And im happy with them.

But they all have to stand on the base of a great, controllable, smooth sculpting experience.

I may not have all the answers on how to make stuff work and i dont think ill spend as much time trying to find them as i did in the past, but then again im not the developer.

Dont settle for good enough in the area that matters most.

JW

A suggestion on the “Voxel->Curves”- tool. Every time I place a new curves node the scale is reset and it becomes tedious rescaling all the nodes. I would like the new node to retain the same default size as the previously created node size.

Also I have noted a problem with the tool if a Curves node is scaled large - so that the node cover a large part of the screen - the app becomes sluggish and almost halts. Only thing one can do at this point is hit Esc and abort the Curves tool. There is the same issue with the Voxel->Primitives. If one scale them up the app becomes sluggish.

betaversion: 55

Edit: I spoke too soon. Gum (strange name BTW) still causes spikes, no crashing though.

I have tried, but uhable to reproduce it... How?

Edit again: Not sure if this is 3DC related but as I'm working with retopo, every minute or two my screen goes black and I get an error that the display driver has crashed and recovered. The screen stays black until I force it to refresh by maximizing the window then unmaximizing.

Recently I have read on one of forums that this problem may be caused by problematic NVidia chips... Try google: nvidia black screen of death