3DCoat Forums

Why not some sort of paid Alpha-Beta version? (With import-export)... Where eventual release will be a small upgrade price?... Also Why not subdivide huge features into add-on, pay as you go pluggins or scripts. In this scenario, such payments should compliment inspiration and progress.

That are my thoughts too. I would like to work with my voxel-creatures NOW! And I would pay for the bridge/export or whatever, because this way to sculpt is the one I want and nothing else. Each further development/bug-fixing is welcome and very important, but the other functions of the "main application" I want to use too.

Maybe that's a possibility.

Tilo Deeg

That are my thoughts too. I would like to work with my voxel-creatures NOW! And I would pay for the bridge/export or whatever, because this way to sculpt is the one I want and nothing else. Each further development/bug-fixing is welcome and very important, but the other functions of the "main application" I want to use too.

Maybe that's a possibility.

Tilo Deeg

Export for volumetric alpha is not done. When it will be done all customers will be able to export objects. Export function will work until release date of 3.0 and then will be disabled. Purchasing upgrade 2->3 will enable them again. It is usual way. So soon you will be able to export it, just some patience. Now I am squashing bugs that are really annoying to all. Most are squashed already.

Export for volumetric alpha is not done. When it will be done all customers will be able to export objects. Export function will work until release date of 3.0 and then will be disabled. Purchasing upgrade 2->3 will enable them again. It is usual way. So soon you will be able to export it, just some patience. Now I am squashing bugs that are really annoying to all. Most are squashed already.

Thanks for your reply, Andrew. I know I'm impatient. Go your way, I will follow...

Tilo

I could've really used the volumetric export last week, you didn't hear me complaining. We're getting a free sneak peek at the features to come. Most 3D software doesn't even offer an open beta, even with LightWave that does, you have to pre-order the upgrade before joining the beta.

It would be nice if I could move basic primitives from within the current model (or pushing from the outside), not actually changing the current model, just distorting it around the 3D shape? Kinda like pushing a marble around underneath your own skin if you get my meaning?

Also, its using a sort of polygon-mesh for basic editing and a final conversion to voxels when the basic shape editing is complete, personally I would like to edit everything in voxels for clarity.

• Advanced Member

Hi

Did this only with curves.Remeber me Zspheres in ZBrush...I used a lot zspheres with unified skin in Zbrush, against adaptive skin , the most usual method for zspheres.Any way the mesh results in zbrush unified skin is poor compared to voxels.

With some improvements at the splines manipulation this can be a good way to create with freedom with voxels at 3DC.

But is very fun already.

Alemar

post-495-1222696943_thumb.jpg

post-495-1222697000_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Hi

Did this only with curves.Remeber me Zspheres in ZBrush...I used a lot zspheres with unified skin in Zbrush, against adaptive skin , the most usual method for zspheres.Any way the mesh results in zbrush unified skin is far from voxels.

With some improvements at the splines manipulation this can be a good way to create with freedom with voxels at 3DC.

But is very fun already.

Alemar

post-495-1222696943_thumb.jpg

post-495-1222697000_thumb.jpg

It seems that you had a lot of fun! Today Pixologic will release (sure?) Zbrush 3 for mac, but i'm not so anxious to try it, 3D coat with voxels sculpt is enough for me now, i can model every thing i have in mind... VOTE FOR ANDREW AS "MAN OF THE YEAR"!

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
I could've really used the volumetric export last week, you didn't hear me complaining. We're getting a free sneak peek at the features to come. Most 3D software doesn't even offer an open beta, even with LightWave that does, you have to pre-order the upgrade before joining the beta.

I agree with philnolan3d. I would have enjoyed retopoing and painting my sculpts but... Its an -alpha- with lots of more important features to be implemented.

Ill just say i find Andrew's solution extremely generous and kind. Thankyou Andrew.

With that said you have opened the alpha version of your software for production (instead of just testing). I hope the people will remember its still in alpha and wont make you regret this decision.

3dioot

• Advanced Member
It would be nice if I could move basic primitives from within the current model (or pushing from the outside), not actually changing the current model, just distorting it around the 3D shape? Kinda like pushing a marble around underneath your own skin if you get my meaning?

Also, its using a sort of polygon-mesh for basic editing and a final conversion to voxels when the basic shape editing is complete, personally I would like to edit everything in voxels for clarity.

You can. If you choose merge > a mesh > on pen. You will be allowed to sculpt with the mesh you have chosen. It is a bit slow for now (at least for me and a few others) but Andrew is optimizing it. It doesnt really distort though; its more like carve but with a different shape.

At the moment flatten, pinch and the pen tool all work on the mesh requiring a polygons>voxel conversion when you switch back to a true voxel tool like carve or move. I have requested true voxel versions of all brushes/tools and im hoping we will see them next update. (really hoping hard) ;)

3dioot

Ohayo gozaimasu :)

I can't speak for Andrew but from what I have read 3.0 will have 64 bit support as well as CUDA support for nVidia cards GeForce 8 and above. Andrew says he's planning to have a "reduce resolution" function, but has to figure it out first.

Thank you. BIG Performance is one of the things i really hope the first version of volumetric sculpting will have.

I think i found a BUG....After some time working the mesh the Symmetry in X gets broken very badly. The stroke don't repeat the same in the opposite side and sometime don't repeat at all.... :(

• Advanced Member

Andrew,what you think about quad dominant anisotropic remeshing?

If you could do a function that reconstruct the volumetric mesh in a clean way I think you can have strong advantage to competitors(and you can make your user base really happy :)) ,no program have some nice filter for that,the web is full of papers for this subject,I wonder why nobody code that.

Bye

• Advanced Member
Andrew,what you think about quad dominant anisotropic remeshing?

If you could do a function that reconstruct the volumetric mesh in a clean way I think you can have strong advantage to competitors(and you can make your user base really happy :)) ,no program have some nice filter for that,the web is full of papers for this subject,I wonder why nobody code that.

Bye

Andrew has already said that he's going to look into adding "remeshing" ability eventually. Still too early yet though.

• Advanced Member

Wow Andrew, I can't wait for this.

It feels like christmas is ariving early! :)

I'm so impatient, that I even haven't read your answer exactly...

That's so much better than I imagined, I only can say thanks for your incredible work.

Tilo

• Advanced Member
Do you mean showing some background picture for reference?

I could use this also! I have a reference image and i want to use VS to create the basic form.

You can. If you choose merge > a mesh > on pen. You will be allowed to sculpt with the mesh you have chosen. It is a bit slow for now (at least for me and a few others) but Andrew is optimizing it. It doesnt really distort though; its more like carve but with a different shape.

Its close but I would like a method that pushes all voxels away from the current 'brush' model, this would allow for the insertion of basic shapes below the current models 'skin'... this would allow for bone structure and musculature to be inserted into any model after the basic form has been decided...

At the moment flatten, pinch and the pen tool all work on the mesh requiring a polygons>voxel conversion when you switch back to a true voxel tool like carve or move. I have requested true voxel versions of all brushes/tools and im hoping we will see them next update. (really hoping hard) ;)

Me too! ;)

• Advanced Member
I could use this also! I have a reference image and i want to use VS to create the basic form.

Maybe you guys could add your voice to this request here too:

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1325 :D

for whatever reason, I'm not sure that thread/request has been seen, but I bet if more folks

indicate they will need a way to keep (unique) ref images on camera views, perhaps Andrew

will implement...

(just to be clear again, Andrew, that request is not for multiple viewports at the same time, but

rather, for the ability to have different images assigned to different camera ortho views ... so we

can sculpt Left/Right/Front/Top/Back etc. from ref images) :)

• Advanced Member

I've understood wich is the bug with the snake tool (previous polygons in the air discussion). The snake tool draw geometry freely when with the tool selected i use the navigation menu. Mac version of latest alpha. Using both mouse or tablet.

post-903-1222760638_thumb.png

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
Maybe you guys could add your voice to this request here too:

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1325 :D

for whatever reason, I'm not sure that thread/request has been seen, but I bet if more folks

indicate they will need a way to keep (unique) ref images on camera views, perhaps Andrew

will implement...

(just to be clear again, Andrew, that request is not for multiple viewports at the same time, but

rather, for the ability to have different images assigned to different camera ortho views ... so we

can sculpt Left/Right/Front/Top/Back etc. from ref images) :)

for character modeling, i mainly use image planes linked to multiple perspective views, NOT ortho view. I also use a xray mode to see the images through the model i'm working on.

• Advanced Member

I've updated the RedWax shaders, download em again if you want to try it.

redwax_v2548.jpg

I've added a reflection trick to mimic the cavity looking of ZB's MatCap RedWax,but it's not good enough tho.

Andrew can we access the cavity info in real-time? would be great if it's possible.

note:

1. to use them, extract them into Shaders\UserShaders

2. these shaders work in voxel mode only

3. Foreground color controls diffuse color, Background color controls subscattering color, you can change em as you like.

To make it more like ZB's RedWax, set foregroundcolor to RGB(175, 58, 40), backgroundcolor to RGB(143, 21, 14)

Light slider to 100, Ambient slider to 70.

Cheers

akira.

RedWaxShaders_v0.2.rar

Andrew can we access the cavity info in real-time? would be great if it's possible.

Yes. I have looked at shader from Ogre that you posted there and I see that there is enough parameters to make SSAO. The general algoritm:

1) Store vertex position in vertex attributes to get it in pixel shader

2) use normal and position to get random point in space like it is done in that shader

3) use g_WorldViewProjection matrix to get screen position of that point -> get position on texture (DepthSampler, see Normal_from_depth sample) -> all like in that shader from OGRE

It is even more easy to get cavity - need only 5 samples.

1) use variables du, dv to get depth from depth texture from 4 neghbour points

2) Calculate depth diffetence between average depth and depth in current point - multoply on some coefficient and add 1 - it is cavity coefficient (should be clamped between 0.5,1.2).

• Advanced Member
Yes. I have looked at shader from Ogre that you posted there and I see that there is enough parameters to make SSAO. The general algoritm:

1) Store vertex position in vertex attributes to get it in pixel shader

2) use normal and position to get random point in space like it is done in that shader

3) use g_WorldViewProjection matrix to get screen position of that point -> get position on texture (DepthSampler, see Normal_from_depth sample) -> all like in that shader from OGRE

It is even more easy to get cavity - need only 5 samples.

1) use variables du, dv to get depth from depth texture from 4 neghbour points

2) Calculate depth diffetence between average depth and depth in current point - multoply on some coefficient and add 1 - it is cavity coefficient (should be clamped between 0.5,1.2).

I've tried the cavity method you described above, but the result doesn't look right :blink:

cavity_try259.jpg

and the shader code:

float4 main(const PS_INPUT In) : COLOR {
	float4 d0 = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv);
	float4 c0 = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv-float2(du,0));
	float4 c1 = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv+float2(du,0));
	float4 c2 = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv-float2(0,dv));
	float4 c3 = tex2D(DepthSampler, In.uv+float2(0,dv));	
	float3 d=float3(1.0,1.0/255.0,1.0/255.0/255.0);
	float vd = dot(d0.rgb, d);
	float v0=dot(c0.rgb,d);
	float v1=dot(c1.rgb,d);