3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
Hmm... It keeps crashing when I try to retopo my merged sculpture. once I was tweaking vertices, another time I drew out 4 polygons (2 with symmetry), then I wasn't doing anything when it crashed, just sitting there looking at it. Ironically I just said how great retopo on VS is on the CGtalk about 2 seconds before. lol I'm not mad though, I know it's an alpha.

Edit: It happens with both DX and Gl versions.

Edit 2: Non VS related bug found. I imported a model as a reference mesh which had textures applied to it. The textures appeared, but they are wrong. See attachment. The model does have a UV map, but none of the surfaces are using it.

I think your texturing problem is similar to this one:

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1485

try flipping your texture up side down may helps.

I think your texturing problem is similar to this one:

http://3dbrush.kriska.hvosting.net/forum/i...?showtopic=1485

try flipping your texture up side down may helps.

Interesting. I see. It doesn't really bother me since I'm just using it to retopo the object. Actually I wasn't even expecting to see a texture, it surprised me when I did.

• Advanced Member

Okay! time for updating shaders LOL

Bronze:

1. cavity now will affect specular.

Bronze_Shadow:

1. same with Bronze plus shadow mapping.

RedWax/RedWax_Shadow:

1. reduced the opacity of white wax part.

SSAO:

1. added GL version, but performance is unusably slow. may needs a hand from Andew :)

2. Sorry Andrew but replacing the random vector pattern with vertex normal doesn't work, b/c pl vector can't be normalized. So i changed the code back.

bug on GL version:

If i launch voxel mode with RedWax shader by defult and switch to RedWax_Shadow shader, the depth buffer will stop updating until you restart 3DC.

Regards,

akira.

Shaders_Bronze002_SSAO002_Wax004.rar

• Advanced Member

One feature I would like to be inserted for mouse users, is an option to make current tool act like a airbrush.

Currently the stroke is "digital", could be more convenient having a fake "analogic" behaviour.

In other words, if depth of "extrude" is set to 1, the stroke could start with a value of 0.1 and then raise up until it reaches 1, after than it stops growing as usual.

I know that one should sculpt with a pen, but when I try 3dcoat I usually install it on my notebook, and I don't have always the wacom connected... how I am lazy :D !

• Advanced Member
One feature I would like to be inserted for mouse users, is an option to make current tool act like a airbrush.

Currently the stroke is "digital", could be more convenient having a fake "analogic" behaviour.

In other words, if depth of "extrude" is set to 1, the stroke could start with a value of 0.1 and then raise up until it reaches 1, after than it stops growing as usual.

Good idea, can't agree more.

Here's another non VS related bug. Or feature request, depending on how you look at it. While working with retopo occasionally there will be a point that gets stuck inside the geometry and you can't get at it. I thought I'd just hide the geometry. However once the geometry is hidden there's nothing there so the brush cursor doesn't appear. So that means now you can see the points that were inside, but you can't select them.

• Advanced Member
@Jaf:

I'm really curious too, and especially what kind of model you are using. Because for me what the low-end navigator lack is the number of key. It can be an help to navigate but if you have to go back to your keyboard to switch tool and so on that kill the process.

So I think that the SpaceExplorer will fit better for my need, but I really don't know if I am wrong or right because I never tested such a mouse.

Some feedback will be really appreciated if that's not too much off subject.

I have a SpacePilot, which I inherited -- too expensive for me to buy! So I'm not sure of the other less expensive models.

Anyway, these devices are designed for two hand use. You use your regular mouse or tablet with your dominant hand and the navigator in the other. Since I was used to using a mouse with my left (natural) or right hand, it was easy for me to become somewhat proficient. The Pilot has six programmable buttons and a LCD display panel where you can set the button names. It also has alt, shift, esc, and ctrl keys.

Andrew did a great job when he added the 3Dconnexion support by providing a bunch of programmable options.

• Advanced Member

This weekend I found an interesting article here:

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/nvision08-bwotf.html

In slide 109 ~ 112 the author is talking about using shader ball as texture and index by view-space surface normal,

that's almost the same way how MatCap materials work!

This method is very simple and fast, and user can easily make their own shader by replacing shader ball texture files.

So i implemented it and named it PicMat Shader :)

Take a look at some quick examples, and don't forget to share those shaders which gonna be made by you.

All you have to do is duplicate(and rename) the folder of one of the PicMat shaders and replace the dds texture file with your own ones.

"Everyone can cook!"

akira.

p.s. Shadow version of PicMat still looks odd, will needs Andrew's help to tweak it. :)

PicMatShaders.rar

post-751-1223233044_thumb.jpg

post-751-1223233057_thumb.jpg

post-751-1223233077_thumb.jpg

post-751-1223233087_thumb.jpg

post-751-1223233103_thumb.jpg

post-751-1223233115_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I have the smallest 3dconnexion Spacenavigator PE unit and i use that thing with a lot of apps. It works very well with 3DC and definately helps speed up the workflow instead of having to use the navigation buttons or the mouse in 3DC. And yes this small one has only two butons but to be honest i never use the buttons unless it's to bring up the config window to tweak some of the settings for the Spacenavigator device. It's quicker to move the hand back and forth to the keyboard for the other stuff. Last but not least the price of this little Spacenavigator PE is unbeatable, 60 euro. :)

Sorry for the offtopic post, but it was a reply to the guys asking for more info about it.

/ Magnus

• Advanced Member

It must be getting old but.. awesome shaders Akira! ;) To be honest i cant really sculpt in realtime on your other shaders but these are like i have a default lambert on there. Soooo fast!

I dont know how you can solve the shadows issue. In a way the lights are baked into the image you use so i dont know if its solvable. Lights would only be used to cast shadows. Perhaps a seperate "picball" with lighting information? Which is black and where white spots (or other markings which are easily recognized by 3dcoat) are placed where you'd expect light to come from. Then maybe lights in 3dcoat can be placed automatically according to that lightmap? Its probably faster then trying to derive the light sources for the shadows from the actual picballs. However even without true shadows in the scene i think they are awesome. :)

Thanks alot.

3dioot

PS

I like "the real slim shader". Perhaps you could make it your signature? ;)

• Advanced Member

How do you guys create your base shape or armature?

I've found a great way is to use Merge with a sphere primitive and then go through pasting the spheres in appropriate places. Scaling if necessary for the longer muscles and structures.

I enabled symmetry on this one to speed things up even further:

figure.jpg

I made the fella in no time at all!. (Ignore the crotch area).

I think with a panel of basic primitives to rapidly select from this could be the ideal method for creating armatures.

• Advanced Member
About create base shape,I think Andrew would improve the 2d-paint tool to act as this!

http://www.archipelis.com/

Oh yeah! That's a great way to create a rough shape! But it can be very tricky to get the form's position correct though.

Maybe have it work similar to Insert Mesh so that after we draw the form then the positioning tool can be activated so that we can adjust the position and rotation etc. Then we can go around pressing 'Enter' to draw the form into the scene.

• Advanced Member

Andrew I think Surface Smooth and Voxel Smooth dont match to well, I model this face and i use a lot of surface Pinch with smooth be cause it was more faster that voxel smoth and check what I get.

http://screencast.com/t/rIS2WGGDmdx

I upload the model,so every one can have a look

http://rapidshare.com/files/151321267/cara4.zip.html

• Advanced Member
I see many issues reports, many proposed, many feedback! Thank you for active discussion!

I need some time to fix/estimate all this.

Akira! big thanks for shaders! Really cool work over it!

It might be too early to ask for this, and perhaps also the wrong thing to add at this time -- but as most of the shaders are now available with and without shadows - could you add a "shadows" checkbox - and feed this as a boolean to the shaders? It seems like a good way to unify the large number of shaders that Akira has been making.

Another thing - can you add a display of the current shader in between 'Shaders' and the '>' popup arrow?

Also, while I'm suggesting little things :rolleyes: -- could you make the 'triangles' display in the viewport so that it is part of the status back at the bottom (the bit with the FPS, polygon count, etc. ) ?? I always seem to be covering it up and it looks a bit weird floating there when I want to take screenshots.

ps. Akira, love the hemisphere lookup shader - I'd never thought of using that outside of an environment map - very creative!

It might be too early to ask for this, and perhaps also the wrong thing to add at this time -- but as most of the shaders are now available with and without shadows - could you add a "shadows" checkbox - and feed this as a boolean to the shaders? It seems like a good way to unify the large number of shaders that Akira has been making.

Another thing - can you add a display of the current shader in between 'Shaders' and the '>' popup arrow?

Also, while I'm suggesting little things :rolleyes: -- could you make the 'triangles' display in the viewport so that it is part of the status back at the bottom (the bit with the FPS, polygon count, etc. ) ?? I always seem to be covering it up and it looks a bit weird floating there when I want to take screenshots.

ps. Akira, love the hemisphere lookup shader - I'd never thought of using that outside of an environment map - very creative!

Btw, good idea about unification. I will make some #define in shaders and use

#ifdef SHADOWS

#endif

It is important to do now because shaders count growth much and it is inconvenient to make 4 shaders of same type - glsl/hlsl/shadows/noshadows.

Triangles - ok.

• Advanced Member
Btw, good idea about unification. I will make some #define in shaders and use

#ifdef SHADOWS

#endif

It is important to do now because shaders count growth much and it is inconvenient to make 4 shaders of same type - glsl/hlsl/shadows/noshadows.

Triangles - ok.

Also I've seen there are many constant that have been defined in 'hard' within the shaders code. Probably not the right time to implement this, but at some point it would be great to support CgFX semantics to enable the user to define, expose and bind those constants (like colors) in the host application (3dcoat) like Maya and Mudbox2009 do.

Franck.

Time for a Hardware Poll?

It might be useful to Andrew to run a "What Kind of System Do You Use?" poll. I honestly don't think there are that many high and mighty hardware moguls among us. I'll bet most of us are using slightly antiquated hardware or newer "low powered" hardware. So, some of us might be reticent to admit to realtime rendering failures, slow performance, etc.

At any rate, it might be nice for Andrew to know these things. Of course the poll is anonymous, so there will be no shame.

Psmith

• Advanced Member
It is interesting, does render works on your PC?

I've not tried that feature yet - I've not really made anything worth rendering! also, when I say 'slow' it's really not a major amount - just a little part of the overall sum, perhaps I'm even imagining it. I'm using a 7800GTX so it's not terrible by any means. Also sometimes I turn shadows off for purely aesthetic reasons too, sorry to mislead you - overall performance is nice!

Time for a Hardware Poll?

It might be useful to Andrew to run a "What Kind of System Do You Use?" poll. I honestly don't think there are that many high and mighty hardware moguls among us. I'll bet most of us are using slightly antiquated hardware or newer "low powered" hardware. So, some of us might be reticent to admit to realtime rendering failures, slow performance, etc.

At any rate, it might be nice for Andrew to know these things. Of course the poll is anonymous, so there will be no shame.

Psmith

Btw, I think it could be good to open new forum section like "Volumertic sculpting development" with multiple threads there. This thread has become really huge.