3DCoat Forums

Linux updates news

Go to solution Solved by SERGYI,

On 12/20/2023 at 10:11 PM, matiya said:

WOW...out of sheer desperation I tried latest version (2023.40) and it WORKS !!!! Not sure if that was due to me trying different file managers in an attempt to make it work

This looks like a christmas miracle )))
In my case, 2023.40 still didn't work, even I've switched from Cinnamon with Nemo to Xfce with Thunar on Fedora 34.
So lets wait for next try... In any case, for some unknown reason I bought a 2023 license (((

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 5:00 AM, ymesh said:

This looks like a christmas miracle )))
In my case, 2023.40 still didn't work, even I've switched from Cinnamon with Nemo to Xfce with Thunar on Fedora 34.
So lets wait for next try... In any case, for some unknown reason I bought a 2023 license (((

I am in process of migrating to Arch from Fedora and I set up a test machine and it didn't work on Arch / Xfce / awesomeWM / Thunar. I am however using Fedora 39 / Cinnamon / AwesomeWM / Thunar on my main workstation and it all works. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with, seems like we have very similar setup. 

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Anyone out there using Ubuntu 22.04 and AMD gpu 7900xtx or any amd gpu? I have installed the amdgpu-install proprietary drivers from amd site due to the fact that mesa drivers have only just recently been able to implement gpu raytracing with amd cards. Blender sees the card and renders with no problems with amd proprietary drivers installed. However in 3D coat I just get black meshes in the render room. This is true for versions 20.04 and 22.04 of 3Dcoat.  @SERGYI any thoughts? Specs below. I know the graphics card is running when in the render room from radeontop output. However I just get black meshes in the render room. 

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
    Device: Radeon RX 7900 XTX (navi31, LLVM 17.0.4, DRM 3.56, 6.5.0-25-generic) (0x744c)
    Version: 23.3.0
    Accelerated: yes
    Video memory: 24576MB
    Unified memory: no
    Preferred profile: core (0x1)
    Max core profile version: 4.6
    Max compat profile version: 4.6
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
Memory info (GL_ATI_meminfo):
    VBO free memory - total: 23544 MB, largest block: 23544 MB
    VBO free aux. memory - total: 15942 MB, largest block: 15942 MB
    Texture free memory - total: 23544 MB, largest block: 23544 MB
    Texture free aux. memory - total: 15942 MB, largest block: 15942 MB
    Renderbuffer free memory - total: 23544 MB, largest block: 23544 MB
    Renderbuffer free aux. memory - total: 15942 MB, largest block: 15942 MB
Memory info (GL_NVX_gpu_memory_info):
    Dedicated video memory: 24576 MB
    Total available memory: 40589 MB
    Currently available dedicated video memory: 23544 MB
OpenGL vendor string: AMD
OpenGL renderer string: Radeon RX 7900 XTX (navi31, LLVM 17.0.4, DRM 3.56, 6.5.0-25-generic)
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 23.3.0-devel
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL core profile context flags: (none)
OpenGL core profile profile mask: core profile

OpenGL version string: 4.6 (Compatibility Profile) Mesa 23.3.0-devel
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.60
OpenGL context flags: (none)
OpenGL profile mask: compatibility profile

OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.2 Mesa 23.3.0-devel
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.20

.ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso.       Host: X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI -CF
   /ssssssssssshdmmNNmmyNMMMMhssssss/      Kernel: 6.5.0-25-generic
  +ssssssssshmydMMMMMMMNddddyssssssss+     Uptime: 30 mins
 /sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhmNMMMNhssssssss/    Packages: 2203 (dpkg), 19 (flatpak), 18 (snap)
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss.   Shell: bash 5.1.16
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+   Resolution: 1920x1080, 1920x1080
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso   DE: GNOME 42.9
ossyNMMMNyMMhsssssssssssssshmmmhssssssso   WM: Mutter
+sssshhhyNMMNyssssssssssssyNMMMysssssss+   WM Theme: Adwaita
.ssssssssdMMMNhsssssssssshNMMMdssssssss.   Theme: Yaru-dark [GTK2/3]
 /sssssssshNMMMyhhyyyyhdNMMMNhssssssss/    Icons: Yaru [GTK2/3]
  +sssssssssdmydMMMMMMMMddddyssssssss+     Terminal: gnome-terminal
   /ssssssssssshdmNNNNmyNMMMMhssssss/      CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (24) @ 3.700GHz
    .ossssssssssssssssssdMMMNysssso.       GPU: AMD ATI 0b:00.0 Device 744c
      -+sssssssssssssssssyyyssss+-         Memory: 3259MiB / 32026MiB
        `:+ssssssssssssssssss+:`
            .-/+oossssoo+/-.                                       

• 1 month later...
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

SreckoM was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

I am not sure that 3Dcoat supports Wayland, did you under X11? I am working with it on daily basis on PopOS, which is based on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. But yes, in nutshell, it works better and more stable under Windows than on Linux, which I can say for every 3D app I use. Maybe Blender is exception.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

So, after some months without builds or, to my knowledge, any communication about the status of Linux development, may we have any news about the Linux development?

Thanks in advance for any info given.

There's been a lot of bug fixes and new improvements since the last update available to us. I'd like to know if or when we'll get to use any of those. Again, thanks for any info you may provide. :)

On 5/14/2024 at 4:53 PM, Sorn said:

any news about the Linux development?

Hello Sorn! I am porting from GTK2 to GTK3. The code is compiling and linking, but it is not working yet. The step from GTK2 to GTK3 was needed because GTK2 is deprecated. Some distros don't have GTK2 by default. Also, there is a probability that the deprecated GTK2 causes the problem with file dialogs under some distros. As soon as I will get a workable build, I will upload it.

• Thanks 3

• Contributor
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, SERGYI said:

Hello Sorn! I am porting from GTK2 to GTK3. The code is compiling and linking, but it is not working yet. The step from GTK2 to GTK3 was needed because GTK2 is deprecated. Some distros don't have GTK2 by default. Also, there is a probability that the deprecated GTK2 causes the problem with file dialogs under some distros. As soon as I will get a workable build, I will upload it.

Absolutely fantastic news! Thanks for the explanation and the heads-up, it's very appreciated.

Edited by Sorn

• Contributor

@SERGYI Wouldn't it be safer to skip GTK3 and instead port directly to GTK4? GTK3 is already somewhat obsolete, so you might be risking the same situation as with GTK2. Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ajz3d said:

Wouldn't it be safer to skip GTK3 and instead port directly to GTK4?

Yes, GTK4 is very welcome. However, the difference between GTK2 and GTK4 is greater than between GTK2 and GTK3. So, I plan to make steps from GTK2 to GTK3 and then from GTK3 to GTK4.

• Like 1

• Contributor

Makes sense as the differences are quite substantial.

Some sources say that GTK3 will be phased out from distros once work on GTK5 starts. Might take a few years, judging by the past GTK development timeline.

A digression. What exactly GTK is used for in 3D Coat? I was under the impression that the program uses Pilgway's own proprietary GUI toolkit.

15 hours ago, ajz3d said:

What exactly GTK is used for in 3D Coat? I was under the impression that the program uses Pilgway's own proprietary GUI toolkit.

GTK is the bridge between the app and Linux. Although it may seem that "3DCoat" does not use GTK widgets, several thousands of GTK/GDK code lines are inside it. This code handles the main window, input events, and file dialogs. Input string dialogs appear above every entry inside "3DCoat," using GTK widgets. So you are right about proprietary GUI, which is drawing using OpenGL. Still, app and OS links are implemented using platform-dependent libraries.
Web apps are free from such dependency. As an example, I have ported the core engine to WebAssembly and made a demo:
https://collectallitems.com/
As you can see, it works on any platform. Using Cocoa to run under macOS, Win32 API for Windows, or GTK/GDK under Linux is unnecessary. I hoped to port "3DCoat" in such a way, but the web has enormous limitations. They are related to stripped OpenGL support, the absence of third-party libraries, and no multithreading. Therefore, for "3DCoat," there is no other way except to maintain and update platform-dependent APIs.
I have installed Ubuntu 24.04 under WSL to try GTK4. I could write and build a simple GTK4 app, and it ran. Still, the resulting window has visual artifacts, and the console has several errors related to visuals/graphics. The standard and default "gedit" is not showing its window when running in Ubuntu 24.04 under WSL and the console has the same visuals/graphics errors as running my simple app. Therefore, I cannot get a working environment for GTK4 under WSL.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Contributor
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, SERGYI said:

Hello! Despite several complications and trash in our country, I am actively working on the build for Linux using GTK3 and feel optimistic about it. As I said, the code has already been successfully compiled and linked. The problem is that some things are not working as expected. Again, it's worth waiting for the build because I have restructured the code, and it seems like it will be possible to migrate to GTK4.

Thanks for keeping us updated. It's appreciated.

Uncertainty makes relying on a tool for work difficult. I can handle the wait for bug-fixing and new features if I know roughly what's going on behind the scenes. Or, for instance, that things are being worked on but nothing concrete has come out of it yet. If you have us in mind, tell us so from time to time, that's also important so we aren't forced to think otherwise, assuming the possibility that development has actually stopped or stalled for some unknown reason. Tell us, we'll handle it, whatever it is.

Thank you, then, for communicating with us, Sergyi. Make it a habit, now! :) 

PS: I can only imagine how difficult it must be to be in your position. Stay strong!

Edited by Sorn
  • Like 2

On 2/9/2021 at 3:11 PM, SERGYI said:

On start-up "3DCoat for Linux" automatically enables tablets which it is able to recognize. Otherwise the tablet should be enabled manually by defining the environment variable "COAT_PEN" equals the name of the input stylus device. For example:
export COAT_PEN="Wacom Intuos3 4x6 Pen stylus"
Since "3DCoat 4.9.70 for Linux" it outputs into the Terminal the list of your input devices. Please see the attached screenshot as an example. You have to send a screenshot with the name of your input stylus device (similar screenshot as the attached) to me (support PERIOD linux AT 3dcoat PERIOD com). Then your input device name will be added into "3DCoat" to automatically enable it in the future builds.

COAT_PEN.jpg

I have the same issue. I have tried the suggested solution however when I input the correct name into the environment variable and launch 3dcoat, 3DCoat freezes. I have tried 3dcoat and textura and ubuntu22.04 and 20.04 executables all with the same results. Any ideas?

err1.png

Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

Grakino was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 1 points.

14 hours ago, Aa5678 said:

I have the same issue. I have tried the suggested solution however when I input the correct name into the environment variable and launch 3dcoat, 3DCoat freezes. I have tried 3dcoat and textura and ubuntu22.04 and 20.04 executables all with the same results. Any ideas?

err1.png

Your COAT_ERASER and COAT_MOUSE is empty, you need to set environment variable for them too. Also you need make sure your system uses files in 3DCoat -> LinuxLibs folder.
I had this problem in Debian 12, to solve it, i did next:
Create .sh file. We will use for execution with all additional commands. Don't forget to make it executable.
image.png.fa0d7d50b5cdfbf5c6b6426b5c93892f.png
I wrote next code, your paths and environment names will be different it's an example:

#!/bin/bash
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/home/denys/Applications/3DCoat-2024.06/LinuxLibs' #Path for additional 3DCoat Linux libs.
export COAT_MOUSE='Logitech G502 X'
export COAT_PEN='HUION 256C PEN STYLUS Pen (0)'
export COAT_ERASER='Huion Mouse'
/home/denys/Applications/3DCoat-2024.06/3dcoat-Ubuntu20.04 # Execution file

Test your .sh execution file to make sure is everything work fine. Do it from terminal.

sh ./YourFileName.sh

Create a .desktop file to run 3DCoat by using .sh execution file from desktop.

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=3DCoat
Comment=3DCoat
Exec=sh /home/denys/Applications/3DCoat-2024.06/Zapustyty_3DCoat.sh %U #Execution path
Icon=/home/denys/Applications/3DCoat-2024.06/data/Icon/3DCoat.png #Icon path
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Graphics;
StartupWMClass=3dcoat

That is, now you can run 3DCoat just clicking on .desktop icon. At least it worked for me for 3dcoat-ubuntu20.04, for 22.04 it didn't. I hope it will be helpful for you.
After that my terminal looks like this.
image.thumb.png.da097b5ae5ee6c8ffe5580968c46863d.png

• Thanks 2

Thanks a lot Grakino! Very thorough description.

After a bit of fiddling with the variables it finally works! I had to add the tablet name a first time before it revealed more input device names. One of the new ones revealed was the correct one. In my case  "XP-Pen Pen Pen (0)".

Also for me adding the mouse device made the scroll wheel stop working inside 3dcoat - however leaving the mouse variable empty worked for me.

Thanks again!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)
On 6/13/2024 at 10:58 AM, Grakino said:

The fourth month of expectations, the fourth month of hope.:(
image.png.92d3abc69fd89c9a1cccde59445fab15.png

In the mean time try use the win version in Lutris(wine) for the latest update, interestingly on my RTX card I need to uncheck incremental render in sculpt room to get better sculpt performance, if it's checked the stroke would be laggy when it's above around 3 million tris.   Overall experience is good.

Edited by animk
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the earlier post, I was a linux noob and didn't understand Nvidia's Wayland issues at the time.

Anyway, I hope that the next version has better compatibility with other distros. I've been having the same issues with the file browser crashing the program in EndeavourOS. Had no luck with DistroBox, it told me to install the (presumably Autodesk?) FBX SDK, only for the container to not recognize it once I did.

Guess I'll use WINE until the new version comes out...

• 2 weeks later...

I am having some problems with 3D Coat I think this start happening after a system update—the update from KDE Plasma 5 to version 6. Whenever I try to open a file dialog window (open a file from anywhere, import, saving, even when I try to load the license file) 3D Coat suddenly closes. No messages, no errors, when I see the log file it doesn't say anything strange. What should I do to send you information about this?

How can I help you and send you relevant information?

The versions of 3D Coat that I am using are 2023.31 and 2024.06 on Linux OpenSuse Tumbleweed. They both have the same problem.

Would it be something to do with a graphics or window library? If this is happening to someone else you can repost here. I really don't know if it's just a problem with my system.

@Jorge   

On 3/20/2023 at 12:40 PM, SERGYI said:

In build for Linux there is a debug output from the file dialog into the Terminal: https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/links-Linux.html
In case of a file dialog crash please send the output to sergkryzh AT gmail dot com.

• Contributor
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Jorge said:

I am having some problems with 3D Coat I think this start happening after a system update—the update from KDE Plasma 5 to version 6. Whenever I try to open a file dialog window (open a file from anywhere, import, saving, even when I try to load the license file) 3D Coat suddenly closes. No messages, no errors, when I see the log file it doesn't say anything strange. What should I do to send you information about this?

How can I help you and send you relevant information?

The versions of 3D Coat that I am using are 2023.31 and 2024.06 on Linux OpenSuse Tumbleweed. They both have the same problem.

Would it be something to do with a graphics or window library? If this is happening to someone else you can repost here. I really don't know if it's just a problem with my system.

It's possibly a change in GTK (your system now relying on GTK4). It's been a problem for quite some time for many with the exact same symptoms.
You'd want to head here, where we're keeping track of the latest Linux developments (link to a relatively recent post from the 3DCoat Linux developer): 

Also, there's a temporary way to keep using 3DCoat until it's fixed: using distrobox, installing ubuntu-nvidia image, and launching 3DCoat from there.
Link: 

Edited by Sorn

On 7/17/2024 at 11:29 PM, Jorge said:

Whenever I try to open a file dialog window (open a file from anywhere, import, saving, even when I try to load the license file) 3D Coat suddenly closes. No messages, no errors, when I see the log file it doesn't say anything strange.

Broken file dialogs are a known problem on non-Ubuntu distros: "3DCoat" is built under Ubuntu 20.04. The problem occurs inside the function gtk_file_chooser_dialog_new. I am porting the system code from GTK2 to GTK3 to overcome this. Here is a raw framework of "3DCoat" for Linux that uses GTK3:
https://pilgway.com/~sergyi/TestStroke/TestStroke.tar.bz2
The framework is still built under Ubuntu 20.04, but the file dialogs should work on other distros. Press key [O] for "Open Image File Dialog" to test. Key [S] for "Save Image File Dialog". Key [B] for "Browse for a Folder". Key [I] for "Input String Dialog". The tablet support still needs to be implemented. Please provide feedback on my email sergkryzh AT gmail dot com

• Like 2

On 7/19/2024 at 9:50 AM, Carlosan said:

Hello, I have downloaded the compressed file but I don't know where to put it. It must be in a specific folder. Can you please place some instructions on how and where it should be placed. Because if I unzip it and try to run it, it tries to open the 3dCoat interface but then an error appears that says: Couldn't make the context current and only a button that says: OK. When I click the button everything closes.

I'm not an expert but would it be easier to port the software on QT instead of GTK? What about an Appimage? 

Also is it possible to built it under Rocky Linux as it the main Linux system in VFX studios?

Edited by mmFX