3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Contributor
1 hour ago, Carlosan said:

I think the same.

The great challenge for this year must be to unify workflow.

The global view must be changed from separating tasks by workspaces (cad style) and grouping by the 3 large interaction groups: highpoly, lowpoly, paint. 

And this 3 data-blocks groups must be linked for easy interaction.

image.jpeg

Sculpt, Retopo+Modeling, Paint+tweak+UV

I just read it again, thats it exactly !! :rofl:

• Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
Carlosan
This post was recognized by Carlosan!

digman was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 1 points.

"""Just one little explanation. The Reason I use Microvertex Mode is that it supports Flat Subdivision, it even respects Hard Edges. And the Preview Display of the Mid Poly Mesh is just excellent! PPP on the other Hand is much newer and stable I think? But turns everything into a ball (Catmull-Clark) as soon as you turn on Subdivision. I cant add Loops to the Low Poly, because Nanites will take care of the Subdivision. I just import Meshes to Paint Room with "no bake option" to Edit Textures and Displacement."""

You can select auto-smoothing groups and set your max angle to prevent rounding.

Does that help some.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, when testing, PPP and flat displacement, it respects hard edges when baking from the retopo room. No need then to use Auto Smoothing Groups then.

Does that help some...

square.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Contributor
12 hours ago, digman said:

"""Just one little explanation. The Reason I use Microvertex Mode is that it supports Flat Subdivision, it even respects Hard Edges. And the Preview Display of the Mid Poly Mesh is just excellent! PPP on the other Hand is much newer and stable I think? But turns everything into a ball (Catmull-Clark) as soon as you turn on Subdivision. I cant add Loops to the Low Poly, because Nanites will take care of the Subdivision. I just import Meshes to Paint Room with "no bake option" to Edit Textures and Displacement."""

You can select auto-smoothing groups and set your max angle to prevent rounding.

Does that help some.

Also, when testing, PPP and flat displacement, it respects hard edges when baking from the retopo room. No need then to use Auto Smoothing Groups then.

Does that help some...

square.jpg

Thank you Digman! I will try that in a moment.

• Contributor
On 3/9/2024 at 10:01 PM, digman said:

Does that help some.

Does that help some...

square.jpg

Hey @digman! Yes that helped a lot. And It does work for all modes in ppp, now that you say it.. (blush)

At some point I started using a Flat plane for testing, and that does not work.  Math guys maybe would say: there are no hard edges on a plane.

Would be nice if it works for Landscapes, Walls ,where a plane is enough. Probably i'm just overcomplicating.

Thank you very for the Tip, that brought me be on track!!

All the Best!

• Advanced Member

2024.14 Update;

"- The AI knowledge database is completely automated, updating whenever any text changes or a new tool appears, as soon as a valid hint is provided. Additionally, all new functions in the Python API automatically appear in the AI database."

Wow, that's beautiful. I've been the biggest nag for asking for a superior 3dCoat documentation, but even for me, this is beyond my dreams. Thank you thank you thank you.

• Thanks 1

• Contributor
Posted (edited)

Hi! Thanks for the cool Update 0.14. Updating the AI automatically is the best Way you can go!! That will make scripting and searching much easier.

I have a small but important Report, which will also make the work much better.

This is for workflows , which include editing and tuning existing Models. (Top Down) 

Starting in the Paint Room with Details ONLY existing in Displacement Maps.

Baking Commands in Paint Room(Menu,Edit,Calculate Curvature and Occlusion): While Curvature and AO Baking in PerPixelPaint Mode are incredibly fine, and I think this could work even better in Microvertex Mode.

->In Microvertex Mode: Curvature it is baked from Low Poly. Could this be baked from the generated high-res (black wireframe)?

It would be really cool, to have. 

image.thumb.png.8b03c995b5a37b5ded3faebb1ed62c77.png

For Comparison, the perfect PerPixelPaint Curvature Map:

image.png.656eccc53b538366128e00f2e270e0a9.png

Thank you,

and all the Best!

Edited by Ctc_nick
more nicely ask
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member

can the loft tools and surface tools get some love ... maybe make them automated so when you select them the drawing tools are already selected for you , i have no idea how they work ... and i cant find material that actually helps ..

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

what happened to viewport rotation?

the current rotation uses mesh rotation and not the actual viewport camera rotating around the object ... , if you test with free rotation the camera rotates correctly but is axis rotation the rotation becomes mesh rotation and not viewport?

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Is it a bug?  Linux 2024.06

Sculpt normal depth on a painting object, symmetry smoothing doesn't work when inverting the brush.

Edit: it works when inverting the brush using ctrl, it doesn't work when the invert tool box is checked.

Edited by animk
  • Sad 1

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Love the fixes to ctrl-inversion on paint tools! In a similar area: Can you look into the Polygon stroke mode in the Texture Editor?

The Polygon Stroke mode does this: image.png.595c511a839351b4820a1716b426012a.png

So, those are three clicks, all of which just fill a few random blobs (those aren't the pixels, I should note) but not the entire polygon.

I also have a suggested addition to the Fill tool that I think will make it a lot easier to use: An interactive 'color tolerance', where dragging left and right (or using two hotkeys to go up and down) will increase or decrease the Tolerance, with immediate visual feedback of the effect. Right now it's often very labour-intensive to click, see that bits were missed (or too much painted), go back to the Tool Options, tweak it, try again, repeat.

Edited by Mighty Pea
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
8 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

i think height baking is broken ...

if you take a normal sphere , use an alpha with drag stroke and give it some height or any height .. 3dcoats baker has issues with it... 

82528305_bakeresults.thumb.jpg.5671b6a9eb0bd2a76df52c085c03d51c.jpg

its like the baking cage isn't influencing the baking height and giving off weird readings ..  

• Reputable Contributor

Windows version 2024.14 Working on my end.

You mean, take a vovel sphere, use an alpha with drag stroke and then Retopo and bake to the paint room for a normal map? 

If I am mis-reading your post, sorry and please correct me.

sphere.jpg

• Advanced Member
15 hours ago, digman said:

You mean, take a vovel sphere, use an alpha with drag stroke and then Retopo and bake to the paint room for a normal map? 

sphere.jpg

is that depth or height? anything with depth bakes perfect on my pc but height wont work correctly

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, digman said:

sphere.jpg

i cant work out whats going wrong?

1607218114_bakeresults.thumb.jpg.ff706ae98a0bd6c0fc2e3b5da7aa7463.jpg

• Reputable Contributor

Boy, a strange one you are experiencing. I know you are an experienced 3DC user so I will not ask the normal questions I do.

Still working on my end with both height and depth. 

Can you send me the bad 3DC file, I can look at it too. 

Windows version 2024.14

HD.jpg

• Advanced Member

i fixed it ... for some reason it was holding two uv sets? i deleted 3dcoat reinstalled and all works perfect ,

however , baking curvature is very low detail , has a blurry effect to it , on round surfaces etc

• Sad 1