3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

• Reputable Contributor

Im still very fond of "Coatings"..... ex:Here are 20 new coatings for 3DCoat 's coating tool.

But Custom PBR Materials is very good....Composite materials too...

I dont like Patina much....I dont know why ,probably I just dont like how it sounds....patina,patinas...I just dont like it.
Anyway its not that important...I remember profoundly disliking the word "autopo" and it does not bother me anymore at all...
(probably because I dont use it much anymore too..haha :))

What I mean is once Andrew has made his mind we'll all get used to whatever its gonna be called....

Same here. You know, I really like "Composite Materials" now that you mention it. Perhaps "Composite PBR Materials" would be the most descriptive of all proposed names?

• Contributor

Composite materials is nice too but less catchy.

Composite PBR Materials: too long, and it implies that there's non pbr composite material (which would be ?).

I still think smart materials are straightforward and not pompous.

But then again: I didn't use the builds. Maybe we'll all get aligned once the first beta build is out and everyone knows what's it about.

Been stalking for awhile here but first post. Great forum and great software. Many thanks to Andrew and team for their hard work.

I also like materia. Might just be the ff7 throw back but I like it.

Been anticipating this for awhile. Im finishing up a model and while Substance Painter is great for quickly getting base materials and dirt/grunge on a model it seems like it needs some maturing to be effective for actual painting - like for human skin.

A few questions - do we have a date on release? I know Andrew has been saying few weeks away some weeks ago. Do we have a solid date?

Secondly I know there was a trello vote to integrate substances. Did that make it on the road map?

I actually didn't planned to get involved into the name discussion. But what about to remain in industry standards as much as possible when looking for the right name?

In my opinion "PBR" must be combined with the new name if possible. It is very important to try to use words that are already established. Especially for people who come from other platforms/tools. Imagine you would use something different for the word "normalmaps"... unimaginable today.

It is something different when you establish a completely new idea. Like the autopo function, that was supported by 3D-Coat as one of the first apps in the industry.

Imagine when you try to explain someone the new PBR functionality in 3D-Coat. It is easier to say just "3D-Coat supports PBR materials." then to say "3D-Coat uses materia for displaying physically based materials. Materia in 3D-Coat are actually regular PBR material representations."

Do you know what I mean?

• Like 1

Smart PBR materials = Coats

Anyway, we still considering, I still don't know what to do with naming...

Substance Designer name the nodes substances... 3DCoat can easily name internally Smart PBR materials as COATS.

explain what COATS are, to share library of COATS to apply to any models... give cohesion to the software and close a CYCLE of development, showing how powerful it becomes.

everything can be in focus and have sense.

More: is a great base -establish a name convention in the community-  to build new changes at future releases.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I actually didn't planned to get involved into the name discussion. But what about to remain in industry standards as much as possible when looking for the right name?

In my opinion "PBR" must be combined with the new name if possible. It is very important to try to use words that are already established. Especially for people who come from other platforms/tools. Imagine you would use something different for the word "normalmaps"... unimaginable today.

It is something different when you establish a completely new idea. Like the autopo function, that was supported by 3D-Coat as one of the first apps in the industry.

Imagine when you try to explain someone the new PBR functionality in 3D-Coat. It is easier to say just "3D-Coat supports PBR materials." then to say "3D-Coat uses materia for displaying physically based materials. Materia in 3D-Coat are actually regular PBR material representations."

Do you know what I mean?

+!. I think Andrew likes "Smart Materials" and plans to stick with it for the time being. Outside of that, I like "PBR Composite Materials" the most.

• Contributor
Please, stop posting stuff like this..

It makes it even more harder for me to wait, until i could test the new Coats it by my self. :D

I know you are joking Malo, but please Carlosan, please keep posting more coats!

I visit the 3D-Coat forums for a few minutes every day (because I love 3D art, and I love this software, and I love this community), and seeing this stuff inspires and motivates me for the rest of my day!

These coats are like "eye-candy" for me!

...I hope Javis shares some images of the coats he is working on too..!

Thanks for sharing, these images look great! A question, after the model is finished, how much effort is required to get these kind of results? Are we talking a few minutes, hours, or...?

Hey Robert!

It's not very time consuming, if you have some materials already set, or at least some seamless textures to pipe in. And even then, depending on what you want to do, seamless textures are not required. It really depends on the situation.

That said, generally speaking, with a few materials already set up, it's a matter of selecting the material, maybe tweaking it a little (or not), and then clicking. Not much more than a few minutes.

If you need to also make the seamless textures, it can take a bit longer, and that really depends on the amount of work required to make the image seamless.

I know you are joking Malo, but please Carlosan, please keep posting more coats!

I visit the 3D-Coat forums for a few minutes every day (because I love 3D art, and I love this software, and I love this community), and seeing this stuff inspires and motivates me for the rest of my day!

These coats are like "eye-candy" for me!

...I hope Javis shares some images of the coats he is working on too..!

Ok, here is one. :)

post-1232-0-58024000-1417427014.jpg

More later today. I've got a good mix of "effects" materials and some that I consider base materials (real world materials).

post-1232-0-58024000-1417427014_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Here's one more with the Stanford Thai Statue scan, with a copper base material, and two copper patina layers. One for the edges and one for flatter surfaces. Also changed the environment map for this.

post-1232-0-31699900-1417428152.jpg

post-1232-0-31699900-1417428152_thumb.jp

• Like 4