3DCoat Forums
Psmith

3D-Coat From Scratch (Video Training)

Hi,

I'm following Psmiths Rat tutorials and very good they are for newbie.

However, I have a problem I cannot find an answer too.

When RETOPOing the rat the symetry plane jumps to the right side resulting incorrect/incomplete mesh.

I have tried resetting plane manually when it happens and even locking plane in place. 

Even when I get the plane to display correctly right until the mesh has been generated the plane then jumps to side and mesh is wrong!

I am using version 4.0.03 (and also tried latest 4.0.06A) to no avail.

Is there some obvious thing I am missing in this version as the vids were made with 3.5x I believe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I'm following Psmiths Rat tutorials and very good they are for newbie.

However, I have a problem I cannot find an answer too.

When RETOPOing the rat the symetry plane jumps to the right side resulting incorrect/incomplete mesh.

I have tried resetting plane manually when it happens and even locking plane in place. 

Even when I get the plane to display correctly right until the mesh has been generated the plane then jumps to side and mesh is wrong!

I am using version 4.0.03 (and also tried latest 4.0.06A) to no avail.

Is there some obvious thing I am missing in this version as the vids were made with 3.5x I believe.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Try closing the app > delete the Options.XML file in the MyDocs/3D Coat folder. Then Re-open 3D Coat and resume. See if that helps, as sometimes that .xml file can get corrupted and exhibit bug like behavior. Doesn't seem to be any reason why the symmetry plane would jump, in any room. Also, maybe test it on another file, and see if it only happens with that one file/project.

Also try right-clicking on your vox layer in the voxtree panel and then choosing To Global Space.

Absolutely. I have only just seen your reply Timmy but after AbnRangers' response I looked at options again and found 'To Global Space' and it worked.  :) I had noticed that although the plane showed correct in Voxel room, switching to Retopo showed it was in displaced position. I don't know why or how but resetting in global space repositioned it correctly.

Hope anyone else encountering this finds this answer.

Thanks both for the help.

Absolutely. I have only just seen your reply Timmy but after AbnRangers' response I looked at options again and found 'To Global Space' and it worked.  :) I had noticed that although the plane showed correct in Voxel room, switching to Retopo showed it was in displaced position. I don't know why or how but resetting in global space repositioned it correctly.

Hope anyone else encountering this finds this answer.

Thanks both for the help.

I got something like that once or twice. Does seem odd. Here is a video that covers Symmetry in the Voxel Room:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uCkB-PK8Ck&list=PLlQ3JITh9bXOfcZqGuO8gClZisN6yUd1x&index=11

And one for the Retopo Room:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z5h8T0c7BU&list=PLlQ3JITh9bXOfcZqGuO8gClZisN6yUd1x&index=12

I've observed some forum feedback by new users having more than a few questions and problems regarding getting started with 3D-Coat - which is a very complex application, overall.  

There are many deep functions which contribute to its complexity, but there are also many which are "on the surface", so to speak, and can make you productive right away.

I still think that this "From Scratch" series of tutorials covers just that sort of basic functionality needed by new users.

Why not take a look:

3D-Coat From Scratch, Part One

Happy New Year!

Greg Smith

Greetings from a new guy...

Is there another video that shows the import and incorporation of those wonderful teeth to the rat?

Thanks.

8 years on and this is still the best intro to the program I can find, which is the sign of great work on your part. I am going to be introducing the program to teens and was worried about how to get them started, as I'm a novice myself. Thanks!

Check this link, hope it help