3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
I was thinking just now, there's a lot of discussion of painting directly on the VS model, but from what I understand it has to paint on an image, therefore a UV map has to be made. It doesn't seem very plausible to me to make a UV map for a 9 million (or whatever) triangle model. For one thing it wouldn't match any final export you do.

Of course you can paint on voxels. Andrew has stated very early in development of the vs tools that the data structure of voxels could be extended to include color. It would take more memory though. I dunno if there's an octree compression implemented right now, it can help in terms of memory requirements, but is harder to implement and maintain as it requires to rebuil the octree when brushing/carving the model.

One great advantage of painting voxels would be not having to do UVs at that stage. Later on, after retopo, just project the voxel model (actually the MC poly model) onto the new topology (with UVs) to generate normal and albedo maps.

However there are some issues to be tackled, like the depth of the paint tool. If only the surface voxels are to be painted, next time you carve you loose the paint job. An elegant solution found in FreeForm is that the brush size influence its depth. So if you start to rough paint with a large brush, it paints undelying voxels deeply too. Some options could be exposed to change the depth of paint, so you could have a small brush that has a large depth. I'm sure Andrew will come up with an elegant solution.

I'm looking forward to voxel painting, but I understand one thing comes after the other.

Cheers,

Franck.

However there are some issues to be tackled, like the depth of the paint tool. If only the surface voxels are to be painted, next time you carve you loose the paint job.

Yes, Frankie understands well main problem of painting over voxels.

If this problem will get solution, painting can be implemented easily - all is ready for painting.

• Advanced Member
Hey TOXE, just seen you there - excuse for "no mac still". I am trying to make this stuff more stable and make OSX version then.

Thanks Andrew,

but sometimes i have a doubt... I'm the only user of 3dcoat on OSX?

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
My currrent suppose on this topic is - paint over surface, but when you will start to carve, color will be transmitted over voxels in volume. Until that color will be distributed over surface.

Yep, I was thinking about that solution too. It would probably slightly degrade the texture over time as it gets sampled and projected over and over. I think it would be ok though.

On the other hand, I also like the idea of painting color with depth. It has the potential for extremely innovative tools.

Now I suppose it all depends if you are storing and maintaining the inner voxels or just the surface.

Yep, I was thinking about that solution too. It would probably slightly degrade the texture over time as it gets sampled and projected over and over. I think it would be ok though.

On the other hand, I also like the idea of painting color with depth. It has the potential for extremely innovative tools.

Now I suppose it all depends if you are storing and maintaining the inner voxels or just the surface.

Scene consists of cells 8x8x8 (9x9x9 to be more precise - right border is in cell to speed up). If cell is fully empty or filled then it does not takes any space.

I think I like the idea of painting with depth as well. If the paint gets transmitted as you carve I have a feeling there would be problems with carving strange angles and areas that do not go straight down into the main mesh. Unless of course the paint for each triangle gets transmitted along it's normal, in which case it shouldn't be too much of a problem, aside from the possibility of degradation mentioned above. The only thing about depth painting is that you would have to be careful with thin areas so you don't accidentally paint through to the other side.

• Advanced Member
Not only you, also Deadman21, I have seen several peoples more. There are many mac users of 3DC, but only several of them are active in alpha testing. You and Deadman21 are most active.

So I often thinking of you :)

Ahh, thanks again. I'm happy because i have a strong tradition in alpha and beta testing for various softwares and plugin... I'm always happy when i can give a hand!

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
Thanks Andrew,

but sometimes i have a doubt... I'm the only user of 3dcoat on OSX?

-TOXE

I have your back TOXE :D

I use windows on my Mac pro with boot camp . As a mater of fact I loved this program so much I bought the windows version back when there was no Mac version and used it in boot camp.

This brings me to a question for Andrew. There are two Major application update listing web sites that you could list your software on that are visited by Mac users. I know when I am searching out a specific type of software I go to these sites. They are www.versiontracker.com and www.macupdate.com the later being where of-course alot of mac users frequent.

Just an idea to get the word out to others.

I use windows on my Mac pro with boot camp . As a mater of fact I loved this program so much I bought the windows version back when there was no Mac version and used it in boot camp.

This brings me to a question for Andrew. There are two Major application update listing web sites that you could list your software on that are visited by Mac users. I know when I am searching out a specific type of software I go to these sites. They are www.versiontracker.com and www.macupdate.com the later being where of-course alot of mac users frequent.

Thank you for links! I will give that link to PR manager.

• Advanced Member
Link updated to V29. Not much visible changes. I worked hard over makeing airbrush and other growers to work correctly with noisy alphas. It resulted with performance improvement and many bugfices, to more correct work of brushes.

OSX - I have sent sources to Mac guy. I hope he will complile it soon.

As always, very welcome news:-)

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

You provided two important link for the mac community. Maybe also Softpedia and the Apple site in the app section can be good. Andrew, the most important italian 3d magazine will be interested for sure writing a review of 3D coat, in my opinion it's a good thing send something to Antonio De Lorenzo (that is a very kind guy) to adl@imagonet.it.

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

just tried the new alpha, the convert to polygons don't work: a windows appear for 1 second, after it's impossible to use any tools in voxel mode. The good news is that the smooth function and all the brushes work very well, really much faster! That's all for now, too much tired this evening to do other tests...

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

My last try(starting from the base sphere),the volumetric sculpting is great.

Head.jpg

The only thing I'm a bit disappointed is that I can't go up in resolution.

I have tried increasing resolution,with this model works ok(it's a little bit smaller)but when I try to save it gives me a memory error and I lost all.

Another thing that I have found is that,when you work for much time(at this resolution,not higher),after some hours of continuous work when brushing the volume disappears and after it gives a memory error,and I lost all again.

It seems memory usage grows after working some time.

Bye

• Advanced Member

Very cool head Renderdemon. Shame you lost the work. :(

Taros had the exact same problem you experienced: Taros Thread

Perhaps its handy to post this bug in the bugzz forum. Andrew is real good on squashing them. Also ive noticed the same with memory somehow building up. Weird thing is i cant really spot it in taskmanager but after an extended period of sculpting (not increasing resolution or size of the model very much) 3dcoat always gets slower to the point of not being usable anymore and i need to close it and open it again for it to work fullspeed again. Perhaps these things are related. I posted a topic about that under performance. Havent had it crash though.

3dioot