3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

What speaks against having an auto quadrangulation that has a nice poly flow? I'm sure this will be a killer feature when done right. I could imagine something like a drawing mode, where you roughly place areas that act as poles (e.g. knees, top head, knuckles) in one color, areas for cylindrical shapes in another color (depends on what info 3DC needs). So the automatic know where it has to place rings of polys (around the poles) etc. And maybe a line for general flow orientation (e.g. draw at the back of the character from the back of the head down the spine into two lines down the legs).

mike

• Advanced Member

thanks Andrew!

One more important thing - can you move/copy Quadrangulation to Topology Tools please so it can be used on regular meshes(reference meshes/3d scans) directly.

Agree 100%, I will support symmetry and plan even to auto - capture it.

3DC tries to cover surface with planar patched, but some source polygones remain uncovered. Process is continued until all polygones will be covered.

So 12 are not covered polygones, 406708 - covered.

Yes, I am working on this.

Please show screen.

I will update in half of hour and prolong trial.

I will fix it, but main aim of this update was quads.

thanks Andrew!

One more important thing - can you move/copy Quadrangulation to Topology Tools please so it can be used on regular meshes(reference meshes/3d scans) directly.

A number of the voxel features would be nice to have for the full program, like rendering, but I think we'll have to wait for that if it ever does happen.

• Advanced Member
What speaks against having an auto quadrangulation that has a nice poly flow? I'm sure this will be a killer feature when done right. I could imagine something like a drawing mode, where you roughly place areas that act as poles (e.g. knees, top head, knuckles) in one color, areas for cylindrical shapes in another color (depends on what info 3DC needs). So the automatic know where it has to place rings of polys (around the poles) etc. And maybe a line for general flow orientation (e.g. draw at the back of the character from the back of the head down the spine into two lines down the legs).

mike

That's what those papers I posted talk about. In one, you can place control points to improve the edge flow. ;)

Andrew needed some help in finding libraries to compute EigenValues of sparse matrices. ;)

yeah Andrew, control points!!! If you can find away to procedurally modify the quadrangulation via control points, kind of like tweaking and manipulating a rig for animation, then all you'd have to do is intelligently get those control points to interract. And of course you only insert control points where needed, already the feature works really well!

1- when I toggle off perpspective and switch to orthogonal view

3dCoat completely freeze for aprox 1minute at ANY change of settings.

examples of changes :inc render on/off,multicore on/off,change camera view,select a brush ect...

it happens only if I toggle perspective off,and only in DX version(Gl is fine)

Ok, I will check. Are you sure it is "uniq 48 feature"?

and I can't use the Gl version because I still got "ghost" selection when I use transform(not transpose)

see the green and pink there,this never goes away,even if I save and load back

I still not able to reproduce it... Please send me any example of "damaged" 3B file to fix it immediately (support@3d-coat.com).

2- (most dramatic as it is my main working tool))

Substractive action with E panel does nothing( I'm aware I must hold ctrl while doing it)

It only works on the default sphere.

But it doesn't work if I use it on .3b files from previous alpha.

Also...there is still no substractive action from "curves" implemented

only closed spline(very hard to do a sheild with this),

polylines (impossible to do rounded cuts)

and Handraw (very hard to do rounded cuts because of hand shaking)

it should be easy to do since it is (in my head) a mix of polylines and handrawn curves

and both are already there.

It was last hours change, I will improve it very soon.

• Advanced Member

I would second that for the Render panel. It would be handy to be able to render clear images of your normal textured 3D models as well. Currently you have to either take a screenshot or import the model and its textures to an external application to render (unless I've missed something?).

• Contributor
Ok, I will check. Are you sure it is "uniq 48 feature"?

I've been toggling perspective on/off a lot in all alphas since 42

because it is normal action when working and I didn't have any problem so far.

to be more precise it's alpha48 Dx64cuda ,I coudn't test 32bit because I have cuda64x

but I'll try with non-cuda before going to bed.

I still not able to reproduce it... Please send me any example of "damaged" 3B file to fix it immediately (support@3d-coat.com).

File sent.Just the default sphere scaled on one axis.

Scaling is the key action to generate the problem.(move and rotate are alright)

Maybe Someone with QuadroFx1700 should also test this.

anyone?....GL 64 cuda...not DX

thanx :D

I've been toggling perspective on/off a lot in all alphas since 42

because it is normal action when working and I didn't have any problem so far.

to be more precise it's alpha48 Dx64cuda ,I coudn't test 32bit because I have cuda64x

but I'll try with non-cuda before going to bed.

File sent.Just the default sphere scaled on one axis.

Scaling is the key action to generate the problem.(move and rotate are alright)

Maybe Someone with QuadroFx1700 should also test this.

anyone?....GL 64 cuda...not DX

thanx :D

I looked file, it seems to be shader-related problem

Try default, bronze and lamblight - they work fine, other have problems.

• Contributor
I looked file, it seems to be shader-related problem

Try default, bronze and lamblight - they work fine, other have problems.

thank you so much...now I can try testing alpha48 more deeply .. :D

but I liked clay and greyclay shaders so much,they are 3DC's best sculpting shaders :(

EDIT:haha...there is a workaround: the trick is to use the lamblight shader only when using transform,

transform doesn't require a good sculpting shader,the rest of the time you can still work with the clay shader

(the best cavity balance shader)

thanx again

I noticed something that I didn't see before and I'm not sure what it does. I VS sculpted something, then retopo'd it, then while I was marking the edges for the UV I saw that a colored ball would appear if I clicked on a polygon, not an edge. What does that ball do? Is it new or did I just miss it before?

• Advanced Member
Andrew, About the freezing thing when toggling perspectiive off

I found out you need to cut model with E panel first for ortograhic bug to come out.

(on my machine at least)

Andrew, after a few ctrl+Z's the undo feature stops working for me

Can not merge, select mesh and press enter to put object in scene in Volumetric Tools with Cuda on, but when I turn Cuda off it works.

Ambient Light not working properly in Volumetric mode.(In 64 bit DirectX)

Quadrangulate and Paint freezes at 99%

When Millions of polygons (Intermidiate) is set to 0.5-Quadrangulate messes up.At a certain point.(Use dino and view the top of both legs,his right leg is a bit messed up.

• Advanced Member

Thought I would try sculpting something from scratch for the first time. (Usually use a base mesh). Fast and fun :)

Some issues - When using symmetry mode, I get holes in the geometry with some operations - curve tools ect... and as with Jules D, merging isn't working. I tried making a quadrangle from it, but we need some way to control the areas to receive more loops. (Around eyes, mouth, nose etc...)

Overall, volumetric sculpting rocks!

post-632-1231539633_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

alpha48

I think all my majors 3dc problems come from the interaction between my quadrofx 1700

and the cuda beta driver.Strangely toggling cuda on/off would not help resolving the issues but, now that

I installed the latest nvidia driver for my card I can say:

I'm having my greatest 3DCoat experience since I started.performance and fps is a little

less empowering without cuda but the overall stability is greatly improved. :D

Doesn't feel alpha at all.

issues resolved

1-no more 30sec-1min freezing on every actions when toggling perspective/orthogonal

2-(still problematic)cutting with e panel works as well as alpha 47 now but strangely,only in perspective mode

in ortho most of the cuts do nothing

I think I installed 48simple and I was still having problemss so, it means that for me most of my problems were in the interaction between quadrofx 1700

and the cuda beta driver 2.1.

Maybe it can help others with same problems ;) if any

• Contributor

Don't change if you don't have any problems.

I had some problems that installing latest nvidia driver instead of cuda 2.1

solved but that meant loosing cuda power.So my advice is just change if you got same problems as me.

• Advanced Member
Don't change if you don't have any problems.

I had some problems that installing latest nvidia driver instead of cuda 2.1

solved but that meant loosing cuda power.So my advice is just change if you got same problems as me.

Ah.. I had misread you original message. I thought you had found a non-beta cuda enabled driver. I do have a few issues, but so far I can work around them, so I'll leave things alone for now.

Cheers.

• Advanced Member
Hey andrew will 3d coat ever have a polygon modeler inside, with such advanced retopo, you might as well throw that in there =)

Yes, indeed. I guess it has not been planned for the 3.0 release, but I think that a basic modeller could be really useful for some adjustments of the models without the need to export it in other apps (what i'm doing now using Silo). 3D-Coat 4.0 will rock! :)

• Advanced Member
alpha48

1-no more 30sec-1min freezing on every actions when toggling perspective/orthogonal

2-(still problematic)cutting with e panel works as well as alpha 47 now but strangely,only in perspective mode

in ortho most of the cuts do nothing

I have the same problem Artman.

Hi there,

i had the Alpha42 running fine and all.

now after switching to a new graphics card i

wanted to try the new Alpha48.

Downloaded and installed the CUDAdriver and

the Alpha48. The driver is Beta i know and

the newest driver version for this

card according to nvidia is also a newer

number than the beta driver.

All i get is an error stating

missing cudart.dll

WINxp64

Nvidia GTX260

driver tested

181.20 xp64

180.60 (the cuda beta)

P..:

• Contributor
Hi there,

i had the Alpha42 running fine and all.

now after switching to a new graphics card i

wanted to try the new Alpha48.

Downloaded and installed the CUDAdriver and

the Alpha48. The driver is Beta i know and

the newest driver version for this

card according to nvidia is also a newer

number than the beta driver.

All i get is an error stating

missing cudart.dll

WINxp64

Nvidia GTX260

driver tested

181.20 xp64

180.60 (the cuda beta)

P..:

you just forgot to download and install the cuda kit.The links is on the same page where you downloaded

the cuda driver. :)