3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Yup Mudbox 2009 does edge bleeding as you paint in realtime.

Well bleeding, padding and clamping are different things.

Bleeding alows for realtime bleeding of your brush outside the UV island. Hierarchical bleeding is even better for mipmaping (the further away from the island, the larger the bloc and it blends with the previous color, like maya 3d paint does).

post-497-1237115701_thumb.jpg

Padding usually refers to the extention of the border color outside the UV island when exporting, usually after painting/baking.

Clamping is a hardware feature at the texture sampler level where it will clamp UV values that are outside the 0,1 range to 1 (or 0 if it is negative). This as the effect to limit the interpolated value of the outer texel to 0,1 and avoid wrapping interpolation. It has no effect on UV island inside the 0,1 range (and doesn't change the content of the texture).

To me, having the three options available is the best solution.

Hope this helps,

Franck.

ed: image from maya 3d paint documentation added

• Advanced Member
Well bleeding, padding and clamping are different things.

Bleeding alows for realtime bleeding of your brush outside the UV island. Hierarchical bleeding is even better for mipmaping (the further away from the island, the larger the bloc and it blends with the previous color, like maya 3d paint does).

post-497-1237115701_thumb.jpg

Padding usually refers to the extention of the border color outside the UV island when exporting, usually after painting/baking.

Clamping is a hardware feature at the texture sampler level where it will clamp UV values that are outside the 0,1 range to 1 (or 0 if it is negative). This as the effect to limit the interpolated value of the outer texel to 0,1 and avoid wrapping interpolation. It has no effect on UV island inside the 0,1 range (and doesn't change the content of the texture).

To me, having the three options available is the best solution.

Hope this helps,

Franck.

ed: image from maya 3d paint documentation added

Yup Mudbox 2009 does edge bleeding as you paint in realtime.

Cool! Thanks for the clarification, that explains this texture I saw in GOW.

post-751-1237180443_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

I updated to Alpha v64. The black rectangles are still there. :mellow: (maybe Andrew hasn't had a chance to look into it yet)

post-1255-1237195325_thumb.jpg

I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT with 512 Mb onboard memory.

However, I noticed that they only happen in the DX version. The GL version works normally. Hope that helps sorting out the bug. Is the GL version now stable, can I use that?

One more thing, BTW, I noticed that pixel painting deforms the mesh. Shouldn't mesh deformation be disabled for pixel painting? I know the geometry can be exported with original positions, and basically only the texture needs to be exported from 3D-Coat, but ... still. :)

I updated to Alpha v64. The black rectangles are still there. :mellow: (maybe Andrew hasn't had a chance to look into it yet)

post-1255-1237195325_thumb.jpg

I'm using an ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT with 512 Mb onboard memory.

However, I noticed that they only happen in the DX version. The GL version works normally. Hope that helps sorting out the bug. Is the GL version now stable, can I use that?

One more thing, BTW, I noticed that pixel painting deforms the mesh. Shouldn't mesh deformation be disabled for pixel painting? I know the geometry can be exported with original positions, and basically only the texture needs to be exported from 3D-Coat, but ... still. :)

The problem is that I can't reproduce it. Does it happens if you will decrease window? Maybe there are some programs that have floating ontop windows? Does it happens in fullscreen mode (ALT+ENTER)?

Of couse there should not be any deformation of the mesh. How have you seen it?

GL version should work well now. But DX is usually faster on Vista.

• Advanced Member

Thank you for your quick reply. :) Here's mine:

The problem is that I can't reproduce it. Does it happens if you will decrease window? Maybe there are some programs that have floating ontop windows? Does it happens in fullscreen mode (ALT+ENTER)?

Indeed, looks like the rectangles disappeared when I switched to Fullscreen. Also, thanks to your tip, I just found the reason: I'm using a calendar program called Rainlendar, which draws a calendar onto the desktop. When I shut that program down, the rectangles were gone.

This problem didn't appear before Alpha 62.

Of couse there should not be any deformation of the mesh. How have you seen it?

Looks like it doesn't happen in Alpha 64 any more. OK! :) (that, or maybe I did something wrong the last time I tested)

But DX is usually faster on Vista.

I'm using WinXP, does this apply to that too?

• Advanced Member

V64

Got a big issue when saving the textures here.

I paint a rock object that has 6 material with a 128x128 texture on each material (so 6 textures in total).

Painting goes fine, but when I export the textures (all at once or individually, with or without filling empty area) 3dcoat exports huge grey 2k textures with only a few lines of pixels containing the messed-up texture data. I guess there's a problem with the 128x128 export size which is apparently not recognized correctly.

Andrew, let me know if you need the file to debug.

Franck.

ED: Also I just discovered that the smooth brush has no undo.

A sharpen brush would be handy too (or smooth with negative values)

V64

Got a big issue when saving the textures here.

I paint a rock object that has 6 material with a 128x128 texture on each material (so 6 textures in total).

Painting goes fine, but when I export the textures (all at once or individually, with or without filling empty area) 3dcoat exports huge grey 2k textures with only a few lines of pixels containing the messed-up texture data. I guess there's a problem with the 128x128 export size which is apparently not recognized correctly.

Andrew, let me know if you need the file to debug.

Franck.

Yes, file will be helpful. I will resolve it tomorrow (this day is gone on my side of globe).

Now I am working over smooth and better seamlessness (sharp is almost the same as smooth). I am especially testing it on small textures.

Now seamlessnes has become much better.

• Advanced Member
Yes, file will be helpful. I will resolve it tomorrow (this day is gone on my side of globe).

Now I am working over smooth and better seamlessness (sharp is almost the same as smooth). I am especially testing it on small textures.

Now seamlessnes has become much better.

I saved the 3dcoat file, and reloaded it. The original textures (before 3dcoat painting) showed up. So 3dcoat didn't save the textures I reworked in the 3b format either (not that's a problem it was just a test).

At that point I was not able to paint on the mesh anymore (even on new layers).

When I tried the smooth brush it crashed. Just sent you the report.

I'll send the file right away.

Franck.

• Advanced Member
I saved the 3dcoat file, and reloaded it. The original textures (before 3dcoat painting) showed up. So 3dcoat didn't save the textures I reworked in the 3b format either (not that's a problem it was just a test).

At that point I was not able to paint on the mesh anymore (even on new layers).

When I tried the smooth brush it crashed. Just sent you the report.

I'll send the file right away.

Franck.

I got the same results... textures not showing up with the saved file when reloaded. I was testing on an imported mesh that already had finished spec, normal and diffuse maps.

• Advanced Member
I got the same results... textures not showing up with the saved file when reloaded. I was testing on an imported mesh that already had finished spec, normal and diffuse maps.

same problem here... no save .

And change uv-set loose the textures too.you can?t paint anymore. either in a new layer.

Are you guys talking about DP painting not saving? I have an "old style" painted model open now so I slapped a couple of strokes on a place where I could erase easily and saved it, restarted 3DC and reloaded the file. My strokes were fine.

• Advanced Member

post-900-1237253975_thumb.png

I get that error dialogue every time I load a new session on my mac. As far as I know the program is not crashing when I close it and the file I was last using appears fine. I've just been clicking on 'skip' and ignoring it.

• Advanced Member
post-900-1237253975_thumb.png

I get that error dialogue every time I load a new session on my mac. As far as I know the program is not crashing when I close it and the file I was last using appears fine. I've just been clicking on 'skip' and ignoring it.

I get that too.

Today I have fixed much bugs, export related especially. Update will be in 3 hours.

ok i precise i have in my scene multiple object

i have no probleme with paint tools

my only probleme i can't export texture

can you want to send report bug export ?

best regard

Updated to V65 - both Win & OSX

Chandes:

- export bugfixes

- much better seamlessnes. Smooth works better and faster.

- smooth & sharp in color operations

- undo bugfixing (but redo still does not works)

- correct layers blending (color and depth operations)

- removing different buggy artifacts

- more convenient import dialog

But really there are much small tasks still to do. Not done:

- merging layers with nontrivial color oprations

- redo

- copy/paste tool

- overall color transforms and preview

- world normalmap export

- import uv

- remake uv

- change resolution

- correct baking VS->Dp

- import big mesh for DP

That are small tasks but list is long. I hpohe I will do that this week (I mean very stable and almost release version of DP)

wow amazing hard work.. been folowing this since i purchased v2 and I'll definatly try our v3 alpha now

amazing product and development!

• Contributor

Absolutely no problems here whatsoever :brush::good:

I'm only painting ,loading normal maps

and baking VS shaders to lowpoly using "edit projection in ext editor".

I didn't try any of 3dc gigaton painting features yet (clone,splines stamp,e panel ect...)

also , a question for Andrew:

I'll be receiving my a new computer with Nv 280gtx

should I install the driver from cuda page or this driver http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp64_181.20_whql_uk.html

Absolutely no problems here whatsoever :brush::good:

I'm only painting ,loading normal maps

and baking VS shaders to lowpoly using "edit projection in ext editor".

I didn't try any of 3dc gigaton painting features yet (clone,splines stamp,e panel ect...)

also , a question for Andrew:

I'll be receiving my a new computer with Nv 280gtx

should I install the driver from cuda page or this driver http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/winxp64_181.20_whql_uk.html

Try this driver, but anyway download CUDA toolkit.

• Advanced Member

Alpha 65 DX version

Airbrush issue:

Is airbrush working with DP now? because there's still some bugs with it:

1. start 3DC, import any obj for per pixel painting, no subdivision, keep UV, original smooth group.

2. click on layer1 as current layer.

3. disable depth and specularity, paint some color on the object with standard pen.

4. switch to airbrush tool, paint some color on empty areas, no effect.

5. but if you paint on painted areas, it will affect the color.

6. disable color, enable specularity, paint something with airbrush, results in black strokes.

7. enable depth/color/specularity and paint with airbrush, everything goes fine now.

and it seems the alpha operation of overlapped pixel of airbrush under DP mode looks like

colorAlpha = max(1.0, previousAlpha + currentAlpha)

should be:

colorAlpha = min(1.0, previousAlpha + currentAlpha)

Layer issue:

Layers created from previous painting file didn't reset when importing another obj for DP or new a file for DP.

akira.

update: another bug

1. start 3DC, import cube.obj for per pixel painting

2. don't save, import model, still cube.obj set 4mil triangles, keep UV, smooth object, texture 2048x2048

3. an error window will show up displaying "Unable to create render target. It is possible to lack of video-memory." at the last line.