3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Not a huge issue (for me) but I'm having trouble downloading the latest build ( alpha 80 ) via firefox. I can get it to download in IE though. Anyone else have this problem or know the solution?

Also if you type eighty it turns into this on the forums!----> 80 <----which is an emoticon sin!

Yeah this was mentioned a couple of times since it was released. What worked for me is:

Click the link - it opens a new blank tab, nothing else happens

Now click in the Address bar and hit Enter. Download should start.

Not a huge issue (for me) but I'm having trouble downloading the latest build ( alpha 80 ) via firefox. I can get it to download in IE though. Anyone else have this problem or know the solution?

Also if you type eighty it turns into this on the forums!----> 80 <----which is an emoticon sin!

Oh yeah. Sorry. I forgot to mention that to you. :drinks:

Did you get it downloaded? Pretty sweet yeah?

Found another bug in build 8 0.

When using the retopology tools (specifically the Mark seams tool) and then navigating, upon letting go of the viewport, if your cursor is over geometry (poly or edge) it will be marked as a seam.

Could be part of the previous bug, but... I'll make a separate post for it, may be different.

Build 8 0 again here. When you are Merging from the Retopo menu and have a hovering panel, if you click on the panel the clicks are being "passed through" the panel and onto the retopology causing a selection (much like the bug above).

• Advanced Member
Sure is. I was just using them actually.

They are called Freezing in 3DC. The icon for is the 8 pointed star, just below the Erase tool and just above the Eye Drop tool.

Great - thanks for the info. Shame no Voxel implementation - is it something Andrew might add I wonder?

Hi! How to use connecting slices in Alpha 79?

rtp_slices.gif

When I'm trying to start painting slices on empty area - I'm getting viewport rotation. How to start drawing slices as in example video?

Thanks.

• Advanced Member

When I'm trying to start painting slices on empty area - I'm getting viewport rotation. How to start drawing slices as in example video?

Thanks.

Maybe you need to download Alpha80, and then use "Strokes" button.

rtp_slices.gif

Thanks.

Bolba, try holding shift and then dragging your lines where you want them. This is for open space. Just draw like normal when connecting the lines on the mesh.

• Contributor
Did you download the Cuda Toolkit from the first page? And for that matter do you have a compatible nVidia video card?

Here's the link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_get.html

Thanks for the reply. I thought I had already installed Cuda for my 9600 GT card but I did it over again. Reinstalled 80 and tried again: same error. I'm using 2.1, perhaps there's a conflict of some kind that will wait until I have to do something for the final build.

Do you have the newest video drivers? Only the newest support Cuda.

Otherwise cleaning the drivers completely(with e.g. driversweeper) could fix the problem.

Holes in the mesh keeps appearing with models here as well. Also sometimes bridges appear between voxel(like between legs), and these are quite annoying to repair.

• Advanced Member
Holes in the mesh keeps appearing with models here as well. Also sometimes bridges appear between voxel(like between legs), and these are quite annoying to repair.

oh yes, the bridge artifacts are very annoying <_<

Did I miss it, what's new in Alpha 80?

Quoth Andrew:

1) Critical bugfixes

2) New item in top menu - Windows

3) Several icons changed

Also if you missed it he says he has created a new room for rendering, so now we'll be able to render voxels and painting models. That's not in v80 though.

• Advanced Member

Is the voxel curve tool buggy for anyone else? I can't move the points in the curve but able to scale them.

I think the gizmo should have pre highlighting on mouse over since I dont know if I'm clicking the xyz of the gizmo.

• Advanced Member

Just noticed an error with the new UI and docking the Color Picker.

While holding down the mouse button to choose a colour, I accidentally moved the mouse cursor out of the Panel and 3DCoat tried to 'undock' the Color Picker panel.

Expected result - you should only be able to undock Panels by clicking and dragging on the ==== Double bar at the top of the panel.

• Advanced Member

I have just been using 3DCoat again recently and have to say Andrew what a brilliant App. The Per Pixel painting feels so smooth and the UI is looking fantastic (albeit with some bugs)

There are still a few things that I personally have issue with that I hope will be addressed before the 3.0 release.

1. Layer 0 - I still don't understand what this layer is for and have only had problems with if I actually paint on it. Just one example is Painting on it with a colour then using the erase tool will actually make the mesh transparent. By default it is the chosen layer after importing a mesh and I sometimes forget to move to Layer 1 and don't notice until it's too late. Please make it hidden to us.

2. Strange Falloff when drawing with Pen Still exists in Alpha80. This for me is the big issue as the quality of the brush engine is MOST important when achieving accurate textures. The issue with the erroneous overlapping brushstrokes also exists in the freeze tool and becomes painfully apparent when you paint over the mask with a colour that is in high contrast to what is beneath.

3. There doesn't seem to be a way to import multiple meshes for Per Pixel painting other than 1st merging the objects in another app before bringing into 3dCoat. Preferrably a way to merge new objects for perpixel painting will be available.

Anyway, just want to end this post on a positive note and say that I can't help spreading the good word about 3dCoat and that I think several people in our studio are using it purely for it's retopology tools (probably because they haven't discovered the rest of it yet :)

p.s. An added bonus of being able to calculate Cavity & Height Masking based on imported Normal Map and this app will be Gold. Might even be able to ditch Photoshop altogether :D Fingers crossed.

• Advanced Member

I tried importing a big OBJ file for retopo in both dx 64bit and gl 64bit version of v80 and got the model taking the background colour like this

3dcoat_bug1.jpg

I have an ati 4850

I just tried some other models and I get really wierd shading and a moving checkerboard shader???? this is wierd I didnt have any of these problems with my old nvidia card but vista seemed to hate that card. I am on the latest drivers

Sorry figured it out, I needed to turn on auto uv mapping I dont understand why I cant just import a model with no uvs?

How do I import multiple objects for retopo? like I want the body and the armour imported as seperate models?

Sorry figured it out, I needed to turn on auto uv mapping I dont understand why I cant just import a model with no uvs?

You need UVs because everything in 3DC (painting mode) is a 2D canvas wrapped around your model, if there's no canvas, you can't see the model.

• Advanced Member

Yes, you can. Use "File -> Import Reference Mesh" for big meshes that have no UVs.

With the GTX 285 coming to Mac, and the 8800gt in my system now, and CUDA already on OS X, why no Mac CUDA love? I have been playing with the mac and windows versions of the alpha, and am disappointed that the mac version does not offer CUDA acceleration. Is this in the works, or are there no plans for hardware acceleration on Leopard/Snow Leopard? I am also curios as to whether 3DC is doomed to remain 32-bit in OS X with the final release of V3.

Bug...

In UV mode. When using alt to rotate the camera while the "mark seams" tool is active. A seam will be marked on the release of left click while you still hold alt.

Yeah that one sucks, I reported it a a page or two back. I'm sure it'll get tackled. :)