3DCoat Forums

• Contributor
SHIFT prevents docking.

I will add CTRL to this list.

Personnally,I would prefer a key to allow docking instead of a key to prevent docking(I don't want to hold a key each time I move a pinned down menu around)

Although I know it's probably harder for you because nearly all the keys are already assigned. :)

Preventing must be easier for you because moving a menu around creates a condition.

But for user it is less convenient because a lot of menus are presently not dockable (ex:voxel menu)

and when 2 or more of those menus are pinned down the user need to be able to move them around without holding a key at the same time.

suggestion....presently "Y" key is not assigned...B)

The new interface is much nicer, it all looks a lot sleeker! :drinks:

Haven't played with 3d-coat for a while, but I found the following problems:

1) when docking, it often docks much too large(like half of the screen, while 1/5th would be enough)

2) Rendering with background shows Symmetry plane & grid

3) How can I reset the FOV settings, etc? Not really clear and quite essential

4) Weird shadow rendering with Background enabled(shown before)

Further Suggestions:

1) It needs an easy interface for manual textures with voxels, and a way to move these shaders to pixel painting(e.g. Tree Texture is ideal for trees)

2) Rightclick menu's on tab-headers could really help navigation, like Pin/unpin, close, hide, move, show other tabs, etc.

The new interface is a lot better than the previous, but it needs some adjustments. :)

Keep up the good work, 3d-coat is progressing by leaps and bounds!

Great work on the new build, Andrew! This program (and your rate of development) is, as always, amazing.

Here are a few issues I've come across in v79 (sorry if some of these have already been addressed):

+ The docking is a great feature, but I think the pixel range at which a palette tries to dock is too high. I don't know what it should be (user customizeable would be nice)... maybe somewhere from 5-10 pixels? FWIW, I'd also like to see docking off by default and enabled with the shift or control key (as mentioned by artman).

+ I wish the palettes would auto scale back to their original size when you undock them. Ocassionally they'll dock to the side and when they undock, they're so tall that it's difficult to get to the bottom of the palette to resize it. I end up having to redock it in a different way to get it smaller.

+ The ability to resize the palettes height from the top edge of the window would also help with the above issue.

+ Assigning keys to the tools (icons in the paint tab) with the "end" key is not working at the moment. I've also crashed a few times trying to assign a shortcut to the texture/UV window.

+ I can't display the texture/UV window unless there's a model loaded (in the UI). Not a huge deal, but can be kind of confusing.

+ The default color and all painted strokes are tinted turquoise in the texture/UV window.

+ You can't paint in the texture/UV window when it's docked (defaults to tablet navigation mode).

+ Maybe it's just me, but I miss the old "rotate around current pickpoint" method. It would set a new pick point everytime the LMB was clicked regardless of whether the alt button had been released or not. The new version seems to keep the same pick point as long as alt is held down.

+ I seem to have lost the layer properties palette and can't get it back. I can't find it in the Popups menu, either... Am I missing it? It seems like it should live under a drop down arrow at the top right of the layers palette (like in the picker palette) instead of having it's own palette.

+ I've had some weirdness with the navigation in this version. Sometimes, after working for a while, the program will stop responding to either method of navigation (alt key or background drag). I'm using "Rotate around current pick point". I wish I could recreate it.

+ Maybe related to the above: it's strange that the tablet style of navigation (dragging without holding alt) works when you drag on palettes and UI outside of the viewport. For example, MMB and RMB dragging on the layers palette will pan and zoom the viewport, but LMB (rotate) does nothing. And none of them work when you click and drag over the color picker. It seems like the drag style of navigation should only work when user clicks on the viewport, and not the rest of the UI.

That's all I've got for now. I love where the program is going, and I hope this helps.

• Advanced Member

Not sure if this was mentioned (this thread is way too long) but I really dislike how when I paint past the edge of an object I suddenly started rotating the scene around.

I only want navigation when I press the ALT key.

Is there a way to get 3DC to function that way?

Paul

• Advanced Member
Personnally,I would prefer a key to allow docking instead of a key to prevent docking(I don't want to hold a key each time I move a pinned down menu around)

I see problems with this, in that it's not going to be immediately obvious to people that you CAN dock everything. I reckon that using the free RMB to move panels around without docking might be a bit better than using up another hotkey.

• Advanced Member
Not sure if this was mentioned (this thread is way too long) but I really dislike how when I paint past the edge of an object I suddenly started rotating the scene around.

I only want navigation when I press the ALT key.

Is there a way to get 3DC to function that way?

Paul

try the setting in the image below (maya)

post-475-1241190261_thumb.jpg

try the setting in the image below (maya)

One thing about that preset is that it's not immediately apparent that clicking it has done anything. I sat there clicking them for several seconds before I realized that they were working fine, there was just no indication until I tried it.

• Advanced Member
+ I wish the palettes would auto scale back to their original size when you undock them. Ocassionally they'll dock to the side and when they undock, they're so tall that it's difficult to get to the bottom of the palette to resize it. I end up having to redock it in a different way to get it smaller.

+ The ability to resize the palettes height from the top edge of the window would also help with the above issue.

+ Maybe it's just me, but I miss the old "rotate around current pickpoint" method. It would set a new pick point everytime the LMB was clicked regardless of whether the alt button had been released or not. The new version seems to keep the same pick point as long as alt is held down.

One thing about that preset is that it's not immediately apparent that clicking it has done anything. I sat there clicking them for several seconds before I realized that they were working fine, there was just no indication until I tried it.

Quoted above for truth. Especially the pick point with alt bug. That needs attention.

Also agree with philnolan settings in the navigation menu need a checkmark in front of them when they are chosen. Right now you cant see when you open it which one is active (if any).

GrtZ 3dioot

• Advanced Member

Andrew, its coming along absolutely great - I admit i fall in love with 3DC more and more.

Im not sure if you know about the following problems, so I mention them:

* CUDA: when CUDA is enabled, some brushes show weird behaviour with larger radii. The strokes leave large holes in the mesh. Example: Carve brush.

* Pose: Its better now, but posing still leaves random artifacts, like streaks of voxels.

Have a good weekend

• Advanced Member

Don't know if it's a bug or just an additional feature:

Voxel Mode

Clay tool supports pen alpha only when CUDA is turned on. Maybe it's performance consideration?

Regards,

akira.

• Advanced Member
Updated to V80

Changes:

1) Critical bugfixes

2) New item in top menu - Windows

3) Several icons changed

Andrew, hi great job you are doing here.

Q1) I downloaded the "Mac" version (version 78) 2 days ago. Is this the latest mac version and if so do you know when V80 will be out for mac? Thanks

If you're using alpha release 79, go to the Voxel Tab>Merge (tool bar on the left hand side, toward the middle/bottom)>Select Mesh ,then just point the file requester to where the mesh is you want to convert to voxels.

Q2) In another thread I was given instructions (see quote) to be able to import my .obj file into the "Voxel mode" window, but I don't see the "Mesh" button anywhere. Could you please explain? Thanks

Q2) In another thread I was given instructions (see quote) to be able to import my .obj file into the "Voxel mode" window, but I don't see the "Mesh" button anywhere. Could you please explain? Thanks

See the attached image.

post-1232-1241202713_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

I think Phil mentioned this earlier, the "safe frame" box renders.There should be an option to tun this off.(see image)

I have quite a few new works I rendered turntable movies of, but would like to redo them using the new gradient background,but that box is rendering.

Can the 3d grid disappear as well when rendering like it use to.

I am also having problems sculpting files saved in alpha 60.These files contain multiple sub objects.If you want I can send you a .3b file.

post-913-1241203823_thumb.jpg

I think Phil mentioned this earlier, the "safe frame" box renders.There should be an option to tun this off.(see image)

I found the way actually. In the Camera > Custom Navigation panel, scroll all the way down to the bottom and uncheck the box "Display Navi Zone".

One thing that is not a big deal but would be nice. If I load a 3B file that is only VS, it should see this and switch to the voxel tab automatically. Currently If I load a VS model it looks like nothing has happened until I switch tabs.

BTW I fixed the holes I was getting in the back of my guys' head by adjusting the retopo mesh so that the polys were dispersed a little more evenly. So it may not have been 3DC's fault entirely.

• Advanced Member

how can i change the color of the voxel mesh in the inactived layer in voxel tree? right now its green. I looked under option and there isn't option in there for that.

I prefer the dark gray color in 78 version.

T

how can i change the color of the voxel mesh in the inactived layer in voxel tree? right now its green. I looked under option and there isn't option in there for that.

I prefer the dark gray color in 78 version.

T

See attached image.

You can also dock it, so it's permanent.

post-1232-1241212393_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Bug: If you import the sample model 'helmet.obj' for Per-pixel Paint and choose 'view low poly', or pick the symmetry tool -- the model moves up into the air (this happened in v79 too)

Request: Can you make the 'e' brush panel so you have to click the button -- it's always appearing when I change tabs and it's quite distracting. Nothing else in the UI works like this!

Like: The gradient :D -- looks really nice. I'd never thought of the panorama mode, that was a nice surprise!