3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
Hi Sonk, 3D-Coat has this option since it was in version 1.0 (3d-brush). Go to "Options" panel, check off "Show hints" option, done.

Ah thanks! i should look more carefully next time.. :unsure: And thanks for the compliment on the toad, it was totally painted(diffuse,spec,normal map detail) in 3.0 alpha, So a big thanks to Andrew for programming such a badass tool!

Voxel Import.

1..Can i deside what clay coarsness i want to import my object as, whithout scaling the object.

2..Importing objects, places the object in the middle of the world space ? (can i import the pieces to the world position i exported them from), so i can import multiple pieces to there right positions.

3..Import to multi objects would be great.

Voxel export

1..Reduce to target data size or reduce to preserve details..Ordinary reduce whith triangulated mesh.

I know i can quadrangulate the object to get a lower res. but can i do it whith ordinary reduce ?.

2..same as import 2 ,want to export my pieces back to there original positions in my other app (freeform modeling)(cinema 4d).

..I deleted a voxel tree and exported the others, in the eported mesh the deleted voxels where exported as well.

..Can i save a camera position, so i can go back to that position again and again.

In my work flow just now i use 3d coat for all my retopos... love the retopo tools.

..Can i look at the retopo in sub d surface mode,when retopo.

..Can i swith of the snap to surface in retopo, so i can clean up scans and do edges where the scaner has faild to build geometry.

Thanks for a great app

• Advanced Member

Some feedback on latest changes:

user defined key-mapping:

There has certainly been improvements but ambiguities remain in many areas.

In all the situations I'll mention 3DC triggers 2 commands simultaneously.

I ran into trouble with a reassigned RMB functionality (as in the scheme I sent you) while:

• adjusting material properties like scale, stretch etc in the viewport
  • While editing in the UV workspace (accidental dragging of vertices)
  • Scaling Curve or Text points (3DC did not know if it should scale or rotate the view)
  • The (RMB) Zoom is inverted in the 2D Texture editor.

It also seems impossible to reliably switch between different stored schemes.

I see the list (Maya, 3D Coat etc) but clicking on them does nothing.

Going to Customize navigation and choose a preset seems to destroy existing

presets by overwriting with the newly loaded settings.

It seems to me that making mouse-mapping completely customizable in a way that

it feels just right needs quite a bit more work. Maybe this addition should be postponed

for after the V3 release?

I'm saying this because I tried all workspaces when checking a new mouse scheme.

While doing so I still ran into numerous bugs and quirks. These are there for everyone who

uses this software and not only for the few of us who want custom navigation schemes.

The new editor docking still needs a lot of functional refinement. These things are mostly

of subtle nature. It is still way too easy to unwillingly undock a docked editor again.

The cursors for editor movements (vertical/horizontal/combined) behave way too nervous,

it is difficult to grab the right one at mouseover. There should be more defined zones for

the one or the other functionality. If nothing helps you might consider to let us additionally press

a hotkey to make editors dock and undock. Also the Photoshop-style context menus still behave "to nervous".

The new option to place bitmaps in standard views is awesome and will be very helpful!

However - I failed to place images in more than 1 viewport and to see them displayed together in perspective viewport.

3DC either displays the one or the other when rotating the camera.

I also would vote for renaming - I'm having a hard time to imagine what you mean with "reference image for X-axis".

Instead it should be Front, Right Left Top etc. Placing images also should cancel running commands!

It is hard toposition a image and drag its manipulators when the curve tool still wants to create points...

At some point it would be good to get numeric controls for the size of the image placed, so that we get a sense

of scale. Orthogonal viewports with parallel projection imo also should get a special status:

Here camera rotation should be plain impossible - this is how it is in many other 3D applications too.

Finally one mayor bug I found still existing:

When an object is switched off inside the voxel tree at times only its visibily is getting toggled.

Some voxel operations are still applied to the currently invisible object. Sorry I can not reproduce it

right now but I ran into this yesterday and was surprised about the mutations ;) on hidden objects...

Just generally it appears to me that it would be about time for a feature freeze if a release still in this year is

the goal. I find there's tremendously many things which still had to be debugged and refined before publishing V3.

Holger

Damn I wish I had that flower idea. lol

Polyxo: The drop down list with Maya and 3D Coat does do something, there's just no indication that it has done it. For example. Pick the 3D Coat preset and you can now rotate the view just by dragging in Empty space. Now pick the Maya preset, you can't do that anymore.

• Advanced Member
I'm no moderator, but, this discussion regarding mudbox would be more appreciated in it's own thread. Would you guys mind taking it outside of this one please? Thanks. :)

Sorry about that. I get a bit riled when i see people spouting rubbish. I wont comment on it again.

Using Alpha 82. Very pleased with the progress. Here are some comments and various suggestions for your consideration:

• In the voxel mode, if you "quadrangulate and paint", and then cancel the dialog, it changes the mode away from voxel and gives an error about there being no model. It should probably just remain in voxel mode.
  • In the voxel merge mode, the selected object doesn't stay highlighted in the params tree view.
  • When editing in voxel mode, going to "file/new" and creating a new model, coming back to voxel mode shows the previous model until the view is panned/rotated.
  • It would be a nice option to have any camera shortcuts added to the left of the 'adjust ambient light' on the top toolbar, with the ability to hotkey them. Or perhaps a camera shortcut toolbar. I looked for one since it seemed like there should be such a tool bar, but couldn't find one.
  • Camera shortcuts don't seem to take zoom level into account.
  • Camera shortcuts don't seem to be saved in the .3db.
  • It would be very helpful to have "Edit projection in external editor with camera shortcut #X" sub menu under Edit. This, combined with persisting camera shortcuts (and their zoom level), would be helpful for doing projection edits that we could have prepared images for particular angles that we could come back to and reliably edit later reapply at the same exact angle.
  • In voxel mode, if an empty voxtree layer is selected, the symmetry plane will render bigger than the window - I'm expecting to see all 4 corners of the symmetry plane.
  • With a tablet, I am finding it very easy to zoom to unusable levels. It would be nice for there to be some default limit on the zoom so that it doesn't "slip" in too far by accident. Zoom range min/max control, I suppose is what I'm asking for.
  • It would be pretty cool if a node in the vox tree could just be marked as symmetric along a plane and have a clone of that branch exist without having to manually maintain it. i.e. just work on one half of the model, and always see its symmetric uneditable clone that is automatically updated to match.
  • The top level menus, when moving mouse from menu A to menu B (pick any), menu A will remain visible briefly after menu B appears behind menu A.
  • Language menu should probably be under the Help menu.
  • Unless there is a conflict with existing controls, pressing F2 on any label should invoke "rename" on elements in the scene, such as nodes in the VoxTree. This is a pretty normal UI convention on Windows.
  • In the material panel, when set to "huge" size, the "Load a new material" folder icon is pretty heavily pixelated.
  • The material panel would benefit from a "material folder" and "mask folder" tab which would have a list view of the folders. Drilling down two levels to get to the folders is a pretty common task, and a tab for them would be handy, especially if double clicking an item in this tab would pop back to the Materials/Mask tab with the new folder selected.
  • I would very much like to drag & drop images into the materials tool bar. If dragged into open space, a pop up for "color, specular or bump?" for the image. If dragged into an existing material, a pop up to "replace color, specular or bump?" on the existing material.

Thanks for reading, looking forward to the final build! This program is already fantastic and I am very happy with the new UI.

• Contributor
[*]Camera shortcuts don't seem to take zoom level into account.

[*]Camera shortcuts don't seem to be saved in the .3db.

[*]It would be very helpful to have "Edit projection in external editor with camera shortcut #X" sub menu under Edit. This, combined with persisting camera shortcuts (and their zoom level), would be helpful for doing projection edits that we could have prepared images for particular angles that we could come back to and reliably edit later reapply at the same exact angle.

I BEG for this.Really. :)

GOOD :angry:

You're adding nothing to this thread by posting comments like this in it. It's seriously hindering to the bug hunting/reporting and sharing of information that this thread is. In fact, now you're just trolling. You were already asked to stop, and take it to another thread.

ldzywsj,

for me with 82SIMPLE DX it will actually create that driver error where the mesh looks 'blown-up'.

definitely an issue.

That's a nasty one. I searched a few posts back, but didn't see it covered. What exactly is causing this?

Hm - doesn't seem to work - entering the Cut&Clone - then trying to cut or clone drawing an outline from outside the mesh

The only way i can get an outline is if I click inside the mesh...

The cut works if i select any other brush after the Cut&Clone one - clicking on the mesh creates a rectangular piece of voxels - pressing CTRL deletes the outline part - but only if i click inside the mesh...

With the previous versions - 75 etc - i had this happen as well (needed to exit the cut to acctually cut) but the outline worked from outside the mesh...

to Andrew Shpagin - Another important thing besides these bugs that i would like to be fixed in ther future if possible is the clutter that appears in the scene when working with voxels...

till then it's diffucult to use the voxels in production at all ( anyway love what have been done so far) . Wondering as well if people find the Flatten brush useble....

Hold on "CTRL" key while drawing an outline.

Choose "[Camera...]" - "Custom navigation" - "Maya", it will work.

Thanks!!- this helped to be able to draw the outline outside the mesh - though the CTRL doesn't seem to switch the brush into cutting mode

only clone is possible...

• Advanced Member
Thanks!!- this helped to be able to draw the outline outside the mesh - though the CTRL doesn't seem to switch the brush into cutting mode

only clone is possible...

post-445-1242038930_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
Just to know, in per pixel painting mode, there is a way to load a normal map, and then use to paint more on cavity ?

I didn't succeded to do it, I hope there is a way.

Hey BluEgo, I spotted this a while back and posted a query, Andrew replied and is aware that it's something that's very much needed esp for game artists, so hopefully once all the bugs are squashed it'll get worked on :)

Here's the thread I posted fyi

• Advanced Member
Hey BluEgo, I spotted this a while back and posted a query, Andrew replied and is aware that it's something that's very much needed esp for game artists, so hopefully once all the bugs are squashed it'll get worked on :)

Here's the thread I posted fyi

Hi ghib, really thank you to let me know this.

I am very glad Andrew will put this feature in the future

• Advanced Member
lc8b105 the outline works fine - i might be doing something wrong couse when I press CTRL i cant remove a part of the mesh only clone it...

If you want to remove a part of the model, don't use "Cut&Clone" tool, use other tools instead. For example use "Increase" or "Clay" tool, then choose draw mode to outline and draw an outline.

• Advanced Member

I'm wondering when we could expect to see voxel layers and voxel painting? I'm not sure voxel paint is a priority for me, but voxel layers seem like a very useful non-linear workflow enhancement.

I'm not trying to change anything here, I'm just keen to know what's next after the UI revamp, and what people are most keen on seeing happen after 3.0?

• Advanced Member
I'm wondering when we could expect to see voxel layers and voxel painting? I'm not sure voxel paint is a priority for me, but voxel layers seem like a very useful non-linear workflow enhancement.

I'm not trying to change anything here, I'm just keen to know what's next after the UI revamp, and what people are most keen on seeing happen after 3.0?

Well, after the UI revamp I think that the best thing Andrew should do, is to improve what is already there, instead of adding new features.

And so I mean of course the brush engine, improving the feeling of the sculpt experience, organizing tools and options of voxels in a better way, making a good clay, plus the ability to go up and down in voxels resolution.