3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Will we be able to view images and filter by layers, etc within the UV view at some point? I have a mesh with overlapping geometry that I'm trying to paint and clean up a normal map that was baked elsewhere and it is difficult to sample colors in the 3d view in some of the overlapping areas. I have the same problem in modo, but at least in modo I can sample color from the bitmap shown in the UV view. The texture editor in 3dc doesn't even show my normal map properly. I'm just painting on it as a diffuse/color map right now cleaning up some of the baking artifacts but it shows up as completely blue/green in the texture editor.

Andrew:

It seems Blender can no longer read either the .obj file format or the .lwo formats from 3D-Coat, probably since version 78 or before. So sad, since I've been able to make some very nice terrains for use with the Blender game engine, normal maps, caves, arches, etc - which very few terrain editing applications allow.

Psmith

Hehe

I have now a too old computer for run 3Dcoat so I must find some computers around for try the different versions!

So I must find time for make that, so that help me to know how where the state of the actual version ;)

Too old? What is it Win 3.1? ;)

• Advanced Member
Andrew:

It seems Blender can no longer read either the .obj file format or the .lwo formats from 3D-Coat, probably since version 78 or before. So sad, since I've been able to make some very nice terrains for use with the Blender game engine, normal maps, caves, arches, etc - which very few terrain editing applications allow.

Psmith

Export from 3d coat to blender works fine for me using obj. Just tested it (3d coat alpha 82, blender 2.49 rc2). Do you have any errors on the console? (in mac OS this is through the console application (use spotlight to find)). In linux and windows it's visible on startup. Likely it's an error in your mesh's geometry.

I'm using Blender version 2.48 for Windows and I'm getting quite a long list of errors in the console. Yes, you are right, it probably is an error in the mesh, but I created the terrain sculpture with voxels and then translated via "Quadrangulate for Per Pixel Painting", and textured it within 3D-Coat, so any errors are not my doing. I was able to import less complex meshes just a week ago using .obj from 3D-Coat, (78, I believe).

Psmith

• Advanced Member
I'm using Blender version 2.48 for Windows and I'm getting quite a long list of errors in the console. Yes, you are right, it probably is an error in the mesh, but I created the terrain sculpture with voxels and then translated via "Quadrangulate for Per Pixel Painting", and textured it within 3D-Coat, so any errors are not my doing.

That's very possible. Quadrangulate is not perfect. If you use it, it's best (for now) to manually touch up the mesh (quadrangulate, fix in retopo, lay out uvs, merge into scene... i *highly* recommend uv layout in blender.**). Personally, I manually retopo, lay out uvs with blender, paint in 3d coat, export back to blender... It takes a bit longer but it provides higher quality results. No "automagic" way of doing things will ever be as good as careful manual planning, imo.

** 3d coat may lay out certain islands "face down" resulting in incorrect normals and nasty seams if you use normal mapping in blender. It did the last time I used it so i've used blender's unwrapping ever since. I'm not sure if andrew has fixed this bug yet.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

Is it just me or does the Texture Baking tool in alpha 82 not work? I tried baking a diffuse texture to a new mesh(with different UV) and all i get is white texture island, with blue.

• Advanced Member

Is there any way to manipulate (eg. Clone with the Clone stamp) a diffuse, normalmap and specmap at the same time? Without it, the clone-tool's sort of useless to me for environmental stuff. I wanted to use 3dCoat to fix the tiling on a few textures, but sadly I couldn't find a way to do it like this.

If it's not currently possible, consider this a feature request :)

• Advanced Member
Is there any way to manipulate (eg. Clone with the Clone stamp) a diffuse, normalmap and specmap at the same time? Without it, the clone-tool's sort of useless to me for environmental stuff. I wanted to use 3dCoat to fix the tiling on a few textures, but sadly I couldn't find a way to do it like this.

If it's not currently possible, consider this a feature request :)

It works for me, clone tool can clone color/normal/specular at the same time. Did you keep all the 3 channel (Color, Depth and Specular) on?

• Advanced Member

I should probably mention this is with per-pixel painting. And yes, I've got spec, colour and depth turned on, but it's just not doing it. I also wonder how it would, since Normalmap and Diffuse are in seperate layers? At least, they are for me. I loaded them through the import/export textures submenu of the File menu.

Any ideas?

• Contributor
I'm wondering when we could expect to see voxel layers and voxel painting? I'm not sure voxel paint is a priority for me, but voxel layers seem like a very useful non-linear workflow enhancement.

I'm not trying to change anything here, I'm just keen to know what's next after the UI revamp, and what people are most keen on seeing happen after 3.0?

I'm really looking forward to voxel painting.I think this will add a whole new dimension to the potential of creating complete static art in voxel mode only.

Andrew says wait till 3.0 comes out then new features will be implemented.Can't wait to see what the future holds for this program. :D

• Advanced Member
I should probably mention this is with per-pixel painting. And yes, I've got spec, colour and depth turned on, but it's just not doing it. I also wonder how it would, since Normalmap and Diffuse are in seperate layers? At least, they are for me. I loaded them through the import/export textures submenu of the File menu.

Any ideas?

What do you mean by 'it's just not doing it'? What's not working 1, 2 or all? I just tried this on Alpha-82 DX64 and it seems to be working ok. I can paint Colour, Spec and Bump at the same time.

As far as I know 3DC paints all three things onto the same layer and converts the depth to normal map on the fly, which you can export separately by turning layers on and off if you have painted on several layers.

p.s. I'm sure I'll get corrected on this :)

• Advanced Member
What do you mean by 'it's just not doing it'? What's not working 1, 2 or all? I just tried this on Alpha-82 DX64 and it seems to be working ok. I can paint Colour, Spec and Bump at the same time.

As far as I know 3DC paints all three things onto the same layer and converts the depth to normal map on the fly, which you can export separately by turning layers on and off if you have painted on several layers.

What I think Might Pea is trying to do, is to clone a layer with the blending set as normal map, which is an image, not the depth channel.

• Advanced Member
What I think Might Pea is trying to do, is to clone a layer with the blending set as normal map, which is an image, not the depth channel.

Ah my mistake.

One thing I noticed while trying this was that if you set the view in the Texture editor to show normal information it would be great if you could use the eye dropper tool to pick the actual colour from the normal map.

• Advanced Member

That's right. I'm trying to change an already created normalmap. The geometry's a simple plane, since it's a ground-texture, and I wanted to check if I could clone all three maps at once, which would've been lovely. This doesn't appear to be the case, sadly.

Thanks for the suggestions, though.

If the Developer reads this, could you chime in on whether you're considering this or not?

One thing that would be very nice is if you could interactively 'sculpt' a normal-map, as well. Which --again-- may be something that's possible already, but I haven't figured it out yet.

I'm really looking forward to voxel painting.I think this will add a whole new dimension to the potential of creating complete static art in voxel mode only.

Andrew says wait till 3.0 comes out then new features will be implemented.Can't wait to see what the future holds for this program. :D

Yeah me too. This will be amazing to have. Direct voxel painting!

Andrew,

Is it just me or does the Texture Baking tool in alpha 82 not work? I tried baking a diffuse texture to a new mesh(with different UV) and all i get is white texture island, with blue.

The same thing here! i tried different uvs and for me displacement and normal map don't work too.

• Advanced Member
Well, after the UI revamp I think that the best thing Andrew should do, is to improve what is already there, instead of adding new features.

And so I mean of course the brush engine, improving the feeling of the sculpt experience, organizing tools and options of voxels in a better way, making a good clay, plus the ability to go up and down in voxels resolution.

I couldn't agree more. Here is my wish list.

• The ability to go up and down in resolution like in ZBrush.

• Add more brushes like ZBrush

• Improve the feeling of the sculpt experience like in ZBrush.

• Allow users to rotate, select, scale and move unwrapped UV maps so they don't overlap and s o they can fit better on the UV map

• Continually looking at ways to keep the 3DCoat UI simple, intuitive while still remaining powerful.

• Advanced Member
The new option to place bitmaps in standard views is awesome and will be very helpful!

However - I failed to place images in more than 1 viewport and to see them displayed together in perspective viewport.

3DC either displays the one or the other when rotating the camera.

I also would vote for renaming - I'm having a hard time to imagine what you mean with "reference image for X-axis".

Instead it should be Front, Right Left Top etc. Placing images also should cancel running commands!

It is hard toposition a image and drag its manipulators when the curve tool still wants to create points...

At some point it would be good to get numeric controls for the size of the image placed, so that we get a sense

of scale. Orthogonal viewports with parallel projection imo also should get a special status:

Here camera rotation should be plain impossible - this is how it is in many other 3D applications too.

yes please improve image reference function and add opacity to make object overlay.

• Advanced Member

Small request, i love FOV control but i wish they would be saved in the 3DC file, everytime i open a 3DC file the FOV is reset to default value...

• Advanced Member
The ability to go up and down in resolution like in ZBrush.

Is that even possilbe with voxel tech? Maybe Andrew could explain this sooner than later if its possible so people will have realistic expectation with 3dc.

• Advanced Member
Is that even possilbe with voxel tech? Maybe Andrew could explain this sooner than later if its possible so people will have realistic expectation with 3dc.

Maybe it could work on some level like how houdini stores its simulations now? That might be a HUGE file though...but then again maybe not.

I'm trying to wrap my brain around how this could work and my brain makes it only 2 degrees around the corner!

Would it just keep averaging the spaces between voxel points to arrive at greater or lesser than current level details? If that were true I'd think that the first level (the lower resolution) would be altered by the higher levels if the changes were great enough- which could be a good and bad thing.

I think local refinement (greater resolution/density) is obtainable though...at least in my make believe like I know what I'm talking about world.

As far as look/feel of zbrush...besides brush handling "feel" and brush curves I'd rather Andrew avoided anything else ZB IMHO.