3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

i've noticed that you can manipulate gravity and physical properties of the cloth in real time. This is very useful and i'm impressed by the ease of use and efficency :blink:

Just an idea to improve the use of cloth as modeling tool. Do you think it's possible to add XYZ direction (controlled in realtime too) of the gravity? Imagine a scarf around a neck or mummy with cloth stripes...

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

Everytime I check up on the Alpha for V3.0 there is a new zany tool implemented which is all great and innovative, but, what ever happened to fixing what's already in and some much needed features on the Painting side of things (which incidentally is why I bought 3dCoat)

• importing PSD files still doesn't work properly (the imported file gets layered onto what already exists in 3dcoat) The Imported PSD should just completely overwrite the layer structure that exists. This is a big one for me
  • brush speed on paint tools needs improving.
  • brush alpha still looks a little strange around the fringes.
  • using the Clone tool on a blank layer and setting it to 'Through all layers' will give you a strange grey colour on the fringes of the brush.
  • Painting directly on UVs. Is there any progress on this?
  • general UI improvements.

There are more issues; like some bugs with symmetry and retopology but I feel I should stop whinging now and get back to work :)

Anyway 3dCoat is still an amazing and progressive app and I've managed to convince a few people at my current workplace that it's a tool that could be used in production but it just needs some streamlining and improvement before that's the case.

[*]importing PSD files still doesn't work properly (the imported file gets layered onto what already exists in 3dcoat) The Imported PSD should just completely overwrite the layer structure that exists. This is a big one for me

Don't use spaces in layer's names. It seems PS deletes spaces in layer's name and 3dC treats them as new layers.

[*]brush speed on paint tools needs improving.

[*]brush alpha still looks a little strange around the fringes.

[*]using the Clone tool on a blank layer and setting it to 'Through all layers' will give you a strange grey colour on the fringes of the brush.

[*]Painting directly on UVs. Is there any progress on this?

[*]general UI improvements.

Really voxel sculpting took more time then expected. But as I told before direct painting will see the light during march. I plan to start it in a week to move 3DC at least to Beta stage when all most important features are done.

Quadrangulate and i have converted one object at once.

-TOXE

That is the core of problem. When you are trying to merge object from retopo tool it takes into account overall volumetric shape. So if you want to transform only cloth, hide table and transform cloth,

then hide cloth and transform table.

OR

use Quadrangulate and paint - it takes into account all this.

• Advanced Member
That is the core of problem. When you are trying to merge object from retopo tool it takes into account overall volumetric shape. So if you want to transform only cloth, hide table and transform cloth,

OR

Thanks Andrew, ok, i'll try. Another strange problem, i've imported a simple model in obj format (296 kb) to test cloth, it's incredible that without cloth applied it requires 397 Mb when i increase the resolution only one time, with cloth applied it requires 1597 Mb... I've checked the obj file and it seems ok, maybe can be a scaling related problem? Let me know if you want the file.

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
Thanks Andrew, ok, i'll try. Another strange problem, i've imported a simple model in obj format (296 kb) to test cloth, it's incredible that without cloth applied it requires 397 Mb when i increase the resolution only one time, with cloth applied it requires 1597 Mb... I've checked the obj file and it seems ok, maybe can be a scaling related problem? Let me know if you want the file.

-TOXE

Solved for now, i've relaunched application and all work fine...

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

OR

Hi Andrew, no fortune with both solutions...

-TOXE

i am impatience to can use direct painting of low poly

I am too :)

Can you explain how make tee-shirt for character with cloth ?

Import model to vox tool, subdivide, merge, make simple retopo, set extrude, back to voxels, cloth, pick from retopo, subdivide, simulate cloth, merge to new layer, back to retopo, make cage tor cloth,.

V60 uploaded (Win).

1) New cool shaders.

2) All shaders could be easily customized using GUI (textures also).

3) Tool for creation new shaders (all in RMB menu).

4) New Cube prim manipulator. If you will like it I will clone this manipulator for all tools that use manipulators (merge etc). It is main purpose of this update. Tell what do you think.

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

Im happy with the new tools overall (very addicting and powerful stuff!), i try to take some time this weekend and outline in detail what could be improved from my perspective.

As for the manipulator, its the best from the primitives manipulators. But still, to me it would make more sense to have all controls in one point and not having rotate on one side and scale on the other.

I have attached the manipulator from hexagon to illustrate what i mean.

post-1281-1235160671.jpg

Personally if this manipulator could be used for everything I would be thrilled, as long as there was a way to move the location of the manipulator in relation to the object, like you can with Transpose. That cube one, I'm sorry to say, looks like a baby toy. Like these fake plastic keys.

2009-02-20_1539.png

BTW This is weird. See this video. Are the gears supposed to spin like that? Also you can see in the beginning of that video if I have another program or task bar selected, then click in the 3DC screen, the cube jumps. This time it wasn't so bad but the first couple of times I tried making that video it jumped all the way out of the recording area.

• Advanced Member

With cloth, the simulation is great as is the result, but both manual retopo and auto quadrangulation have problems (one is time consuming, and the other isn't optimized at all). Would it be possible to have a "send to retopo" option for the result of the cloth simulation. That way the simulation result could be the retopo mesh. Perhaps UV coordinates from the original non-simulated mesh could be retained as well.

A workflow would be like this:

- import a plane or other cloth with UV coordinates.

- Place in scene

- perform simulation

- export simulation result to retopo/file (original uv coordinates preserved)

- subdivide

- merge into voxels

- sculpt details

- go to retopo mode

- merge

- paint

This would also make it easy to re-simulate the cloth in another application in animation, for example.

Another nice feature might be to have an option for alpha baking on merging of patches in retopo mode. This would allow cloth with holes and fringes at the edges to be produced easily.

• Contributor

Nice surprise waking from my nap to see new update already.That's 3 this week right?

Anyway back to business.

Significant improvements on shader control and creation.This cuts back on a few steps. :)

Cube primitive manipulator seems to be fine for most applicable uses.I would make a suggestion of maintaining scale cube position (see image1and 2) to avoid controls overlapping.Especially important when in orthographic view or at extreme angles.

Phil, would less saturation of colors be better?I think so.(Image 2)

When applied to voxel operations my hope is that this manipulator would:

A:lock to object while selecting and moving object.

B:Have options for aligning manip. to world coordinates as well as be able to align with object.(Don't know how this works with voxels since there are no face normals.?)but as long as there is free control over position of manip. I don't care.

One last thing on primitives.Can we rotate screen around local primitive center?Or like as in other navigation functions, (where ever our cross hairs are.)

Nice update.

post-913-1235170399_thumb.jpg

post-913-1235170404_thumb.jpg

Phil, would less saturation of colors be better?I think so.(Image 2)

To be honest I think it's really everything about it. For one, everything it too thick. The "sticks" should be a line, not a tube. The gear shape is another big part of what makes it looks like a toy. I really feel like the manipulator should do it's job while getting in the way as little as possible. That's one thing I hated about using Maya, the UM was constantly in the way and I actually caught myself moving my head, trying to look around it.

• Advanced Member

What about keyboard based movements. In blender I can press the g key to enter move mode and then the x y or z keys to constrain to axes. similarly, I can press the "r" key to enter rotate mode and then the x y or z keys to constrain. It has standard manipulators too, but I hardly use them since the keyboard shortcuts are far more handy.

• Advanced Member

I'm not too crazy about the cube manipulator.

How about something a little more traditional like this one?:

It's similar to the merge mesh manipulator, but I don't like the skinny lines of the current version. I quite like the more solid look of the newer manipulators that's recently been added.

Might also be cool if it was possible to make the unselected parts of the manipulator hide while moving the object around. This would help with precise positioning.