3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.7 (BETA testing thread)

Subfolders inside Folders can be useful too.

As example:

We can get Folder > Metal

And inside Metal, some subfolders > Aluminum, Brass, Chrome,  etc...

• Like 3

And all searchable. :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Subfolders inside Folders can be useful too.

As example:

We can get Folder > Metal

And inside Metal, some subfolders > Aluminum, Brass, Chrome,  etc...

Preach it, brother! :D

21 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Sorry but, why Show folders as buttons = off is not useful ?

Show folders as buttons off.jpg

Hey Carlos. Thank you for the hint. Did not realised this option. How long is this feature already implemented?

But even if it helps: It does not help to find materials in a fast way. There are still too many open tasks here. The idea to switch folders off is a nice workaround and helps, but it should be concepted out and implemented better to fulfill the most needs.

I still hope for my idea will be implemented sometime.

• Like 1

4.7.36 beta

Found a bug with "Cast Shadows" under the Geometry Menu in the sculpt room.

You can no longer can create the light coming from above or below your model. It now only goes side to side. Also if you move the mouse upward or downward the primary light is affected, You will decrease the primary light. 

The up and down movements of the mouse when using the adjust light angle icon in the top tool bar are now tied to the primary light but only decreasing the light.

How to test.

Open 4.7.35. Use a model that shows shadows clearly. Select Cast Shadows and then select a shader that is affected by Cast Shadows

Use the Adjust light angle icon in the top menu. Move the mouse side to side and then up and down. You see that you can create a light source from the top and the bottom when moving up and down. The primary light is not affected.

Open 4.7.36.  Do the above and you will see the problem / bug...

First picture. Icon to use for the test below to adjust the light angle.

Second picture. 4.7.36 beta. After moving downward using the light angle icon. The primary light is affected and not the light source direction.

Third picture.  After moving upward using the light angle icon in 4.7.35 beta. The light source is now from above the model. 

Capture21.PNG

Capture22.PNG

Capture23.PNG

Edited by digman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Could rendering PNG/ no alpha be added to "Render Frame Sequence" in the Render panel. BMP is a really old format that no one really uses anymore. If you want only a few turnable stills, then you have to convert the bmps to another format.  If you can give us the Png format with the alpha channel as well, that would be best. We could choose between Png with no alpha, Png with alpha or targa with alpha...

Also could you look at the anti-aliasing when rendering a sequence, it does not appear to be as good as the regular rendering of just one frame. 

Thanks for considering.

Again, no time here for me to post for added features at Trello or Mantis, so forgive for this...

Edited by digman
added information.
  • Like 4

+1 for that.

I dont find the current Alpha channel to be great.When I have used it I have had to render my image really large then reduce it later it eliminate unclean edge ,even with antialiasing off.

I'm having issues using Renderman on Linux.  3D-Coat complains that it isn't installed, although I have it installed and running on my system.  I have it working with the Blender plugin and I can run it via the command line.  

My system is Linux Mint 18.2 and Renderman is installed in /opt/pixar/RenderManProServer-21.3
Using 3D-Coat version 4.7.36, although the window header says 4.7.35

Is there any way to point 3D-Coat to the install?  I didn't find any preferences to set that. :(

Bug! Smart Materials UV mapping broken 4.7.36

When applying smart materials if mapping type is set to UV instead of cube, when applied to mesh the material will not appear correctly compared to Smart Preview Window. Specifically, effects of layers and depth seem greatly reduced, leaving the solid color of the base layer to be the dominant feature.

To repeat

Select smart material and enter Smart Material Editor.

Change Preferred Mapping from CUBE to UV

Apply material to model.

Note the difference between Preview Window and painted model.

Found a bug in 4.7.36 in the paint room:

When attempting to import external textures to a specific model if the drop down list to choose the model is too long the models on the bottom of the list cannot be clicked. Here is a screenshot showing the issue:

waTXy3T.png

Attempting to click the name with a mouse doesn't work which renders the import textures option essentially blocked. I think if the window is smaller and not as close to the bottom of the screen it would be easier to scroll and click. Possibly making the arrow keys and enter key to select an option would be nice as well. Only 'temporary' fix I found is I had to delete one of my other objects but that is an unfortunate workaround when I need them all in the same paint room.

Edited by Mystical

Bug. 4.7.36

In Eraser mode, using a stencil only works correctly in "From Camera" projection.

All other projection modes produce incorrect results that differ from brush preview.

Edited by Karnonos

19 minutes ago, Karnonos said:

Bug!

Using a layer as a Clip Mask on another.

Not working.

Did you try to adjust the opacity of the Masking Layer?

Press CTRL > clic using LMB to select spot to clone from.

Use brush on another spot. 

Is working fine.

Today I installed a good hdr image for 3DC and the picture shows the lighting result. So either my Beta 4.7.35 and .36 are buggered or it is a bug. 

I tested a few other hdrs and the same result even ones that I installed before. I can switch back to a default 3DC hdr and it works.

Could someone test adding a new hdr or exr in 3DC beta version 4.7.36 and see if you get the same result as I did.

If you are wondering, smooth shade is turned on.

strange.PNG

Edited by digman

I've imported this 3D scan to clean up in Surface mode and decimated it but then it gets all these little holes after decimation. When I try to use Close Holes the program freezes up.

08.22.2017-21.33.png

Did you weld vertices before ?

Weld.jpg

15 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

...or import into Voxels, first?

I didn't do voxels first because it's not a solid mesh, the whole bottom is ope and a bit messy.

3 hours ago, philnolan3d said:

I've imported this 3D scan to clean up in Surface mode and decimated it but then it gets all these little holes after decimation. When I try to use Close Holes the program freezes up.

08.22.2017-21.33.png

Be sure to look from the other side to confirm they are holes and not flipped normal!