3DCoat Forums
gbball

Gbball's sketchbook

More progress...

Still need to work on the feet (shoes) and the back and the shorts and body.

I wanted to get a sense of what the face would look like with a bit of colour though!

-G

post-3280-0-61268200-1379916243_thumb.jp

• Like 1

More progress...

Still need to work on the feet (shoes) and the back and the shorts and body.

I wanted to get a sense of what the face would look like with a bit of colour though!

-G

Dang...Looking good. :good:

Great progress on the Afro-man!

I like its dynamic shapes.

What did you use as a material?

It looks slightly "wet". Or is it your render?

Yeah, hands always suck. Maybe use the generic hand from the models pallet (I think there is a Body Parts directory with a head, ear, hand and foot), or the hand from the Mannequin model. It has stored pivot points at the joints and the fingers are parented, so you can just rotate the first segment to spread the fingers out a bit. That way they aren't so close together as to make it hard to work on, when sculpting on them, retopo and even skinning/rigging them in your main 3D app. There is a little bit of info on that in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THcJ1C4zpi0&list=PL0614F2A03AD725CD&index=8

Otherwise, the pose tool using the FFD lattice on each finger would work best to spread them apart and tweak their proportions. Attached are some Brush Alphas for finger nails and knuckes.

thank you

@TimmyZ -  Thanks a lot man, it's just poly paint so far, but it definitely makes a difference, you're right!

@Garagarape - ShaderShiny.3dcpack <---this is the shader I used...(I think so at least!)

@ABN - Thanks a lot!  I did tweak the biceps and arms a little bit from an earlier post. 

Turtle-Alien.jpg

Hey folks, it's been a while, but I've got a lot more free time now and I want to start sharing some work again!  This is a speedsculpt I did in 3D Coat, took about an hour and 15 minutes or so.  I recorded the process also, you can see it here.

• Like 3

Nice sculpting!

At about 45 seconds into your video it looks like you are having a few issues with moving the forearms of your character with the Transform tool. I recommend temporarily splitting off the forearms onto a separate layer in the vox tree and then use the Pose Tool with "whole volume" (I'm not at my computer now to check the exact wording, but I think that is what it is called, or something similar) selected in the Tool options panel. Your entire forearm will turn completely red (no gradient) and then when you move it, it will respect symmetry. This is a very useful technique that I learned from Artman.

Just a friendly tip, I hope you find it useful!

Thanks for sharing your work! It looks great!

cool stuff, what is the tool you are using at the beginning to block him out?

Thanks for the tip TimmyZ, I tried that and it works great!

@Aleksey Thanks man, I think I was using the sphere tool with very low resolution on the mesh.  In conjunction with smooth all, which I mapped to CTRL+Shift+S it's great block in tool!

Edited by gbball

For anyone interested, I made video overview on some of the cool things I like about 3D Coat.  It's intended for people coming from the 2D world looking for something to work with in 3D.  So I'm preaching to the choir a little bit here.  But I thought some of you might find it helpful or maybe will be able to pass it along to someone who is curious about 3D Coat.

Thanks friends!

-G

• Like 2

Yeah man! When you said the part about how you were jumping up and down because you finally found the software you were looking for, that was exactly how I felt when I found 3D-Coat! :) Thanks for sharing!

Appreciate the video! Really showed a good variety of features in the software. Coming from many years of heavy Zbrush usage I'm literally floored with 3D Coat V4. Purchasing today.

Also Donald Anderson... is that the same Donald that worked at Bedlam? If so yeah we worked together for a bit.

Cheers!

Very well done and especially good guide to resolution and shifting from voxels to surface mode.

Thanks a lot guys.  Glad to hear that it was helpful...more importantly helping to get the word out about this cool app!

@ TimmyZ  -  That's amazing that someone else had the same experience!  I'm amazed at how much better it is now in just 3 years than it was then.  Imagine another 3 years!

@Garagape - Thanks man!  Glad to hear it was helpful!

@lildragon - Yeah, definitely the one and the same Donald.  I was checking out your website, you've got some nice stuff!  I also noticed we've worked a lot of the same places just at different times.  But I was at Red Rover for a few different contracts and recently Nelvana.  A few of my friends are at Ubi.  We'll probably bump into each other at some point!

@Tony Nemo  - Thanks man, I thought that some of the stuff I was doing would be helpful.  Glad to hear it's been beneficial to 3D Coat vets like you and Garagape.

New sculpt of Wolverine.

Wolvie1.pngWolvie2.png

Wolvie3.png

I didn't intend to do this when I started, I was just messing around and was going to make a boxer, but then something inspired me to make it into Wolverine instead.

I hope you like it!

-G

Edited by gbball
  • Like 3

yes ! :blink:

Now you're talking ! :D