3DCoat Forums

It looks good.

I'm impressed how well the reducer performs, especially near symmetry area. (though I noticed a small problem).

There's always dangerous to have lot of edges connected on vertices, it seems that Raul found a way to avoid it.

Further in the roadmap is the mesh simplification feature, dynamic subdivision is not only adding detail but also removing detail.

All of that in the Surface mode, but eventually all of those tools will be replicated into the Voxel Room to get a very powerfull Voxel LiveClay that will allow interchangeability between both modes without loosing adaptive detail and improving memmory footprint a lot

This is the best news for me and this is actually what missed me the most in my workflow !

Good job

For me all this looks like someday there will be two modeling parts inside 3D Coat:

1. Basemeshes in voxels

2. Go in detail and finalising in LiveClay

But at the moment I get the feeling voxels beginning to be obsolete in the future, because of liveClay... very interesting.

Best wishes

Chris

But at the moment I get the feeling voxels beginning to be obsolete in the future, because of liveClay... very interesting.

LiveClay is cool for sure, but there are quite a few things it can't do like Warp, Curves, painting geometry in thin air. Sure it could happen, but we just have to wait and see I suppose.

LiveClay is cool for sure, but there are quite a few things it can't do like Warp, Curves, painting geometry in thin air. Sure it could happen, but we just have to wait and see I suppose.

The SubCells concept Andrew once mentioned, sounded more promising for Voxels than LiveClay does for Surface Mode. I've always found Voxels to be more forgiving as you work, and for that reason, I hope it stays.

@Taros

For me all this looks like someday there will be two modeling parts inside 3D Coat:

1. Basemeshes in voxels

2. Go in detail and finalising in LiveClay

You can do this today, using both sculptris and 3dcoat. Easy workflow and still forgiving. What you probably won't like is the problematic (more or less) decimator of 3dcoat. Easy to fix it in Sc (using reducer +-)

What I like to see in 3dcoat is the ability to increase voxels density when in surface - LC mode (Have I missed something?)

I'm pretty happy so far with starting in voxels and refining in live clay. With the coming updates it will be that much sweeter. I'm seeing less need to send my meshes outside of 3dcoat for refinement, the more I use it. Did my first full character sculpt from start to finish this last week at work. Looking forward to the live clay refinements and reduction tools, etc.

The SubCells concept Andrew once mentioned, sounded more promising for Voxels than LiveClay does for Surface Mode. I've always found Voxels to be more forgiving as you work, and for that reason, I hope it stays.

I do not understand what subcells are, can anyone explain it in layman terms? :P How will it change the way I interact with voxels?

I do not understand what subcells are, can anyone explain it in layman terms? :P How will it change the way I interact with voxels?

Each voxel section composed of x*x marching cubes is divided into smaller chunks.

Those chunks are called subcells, they make possible to apply liveclay changes (local sbudivisions) to a located area of the voxel volume, retaining the liveclay finer details into voxel form without affecting the entire voxel volume. This is a way to add more detail to voxel volume without up resing the entire volume which tends to use huge amount of memory.

Think of it as a rubik's cube: the entire volume is a cube, but you've got smaller cube embeded, those smaller cubes can retain as much detail as the entire volume but in a more compact space=finer details. Of course that's only an example it's completely theoretical and can be very different in real application.

• Like 1

That is especially good news for us Users :)

Have a good start - hopefully Kiev is nice and the Sun is shining so that you don't miss Cuba too much!

Good news guys!

I'm on Kiev!!!!!!! with 3DCoat team! so I will be around on forums :)

Cheers

Raul

Great! Post some photos, but only the censored please! ;)

That is very cool Raul!! I hope you enjoy it there. It seems like a pretty interesting place with a lot of very nice people. Hopefully when I visit the rest of the team in Kiev you will still be there so we can meet. :)

Cheers man, have fun there!! :drinks:

I like your new blog theme and also thanks for great work on LiveClay :)

One thing i have been thinking recently is maybe reduce and increase could be options with smooth mode also. So you have regular, reduce and increase modes in a dropdown so you can also add or remove details while smoothing. Currently it's 2 steps but that would be a new way to work and maybe some other modes like relax could be added etc. Hopefully you and others will like this idea as i think it could be very useful way to work when sculpting. :)

Difficult to explain what I'm waiting from sculpting tools. I can say this: Copy scuptris tools behavior. It's simple. These are just perfect.