3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

• Advanced Member

You can in surface mode, by selecting your mask and choosing a LC brush . Increase the detail sider to the amount of tesselation desired.

You might be talking about something else but added the info just to sure.

Yes I know but painting tesselation over large areas is not uniform and therefore will result in different texture resolutions on the model.being able to res up the whole painted model or masking an area that needs more detail is really necessit

• Reputable Contributor

Does Fill tool work for voxels in Paint room? When I select Fill tool with fill Layer or Object then nothing happens. When I select Fill by Material then program crashes.

Yes, fill works for surface mode voxels (polygons) in the paintroom. Did you deselect "Use color tolerance"

That works but yes, the others layers, materials. objects right now causes problems. Andrew will need to look at it.

Polypainting is a major new feature there is bound to be some bugs in the beta...

• Advanced Member

I think that forum help is already very good. I'm not concerned about creating "how to guides" for beta features (Andrew's time is limited). But I do agree that all the features in official release should be documented

and they should be easy to understand and use...BTW blender applink vertex colors support almost done :)

Awesome! I can't wait to try it!

• Advanced Member

Yes, fill works for surface mode voxels (polygons) in the paintroom. Did you deselect "Use color tolerance"

That works but yes, the others layers, materials. objects right now causes problems. Andrew will need to look at it.

Polypainting is a major new feature there is bound to be some bugs in the beta...

Yep, the fill is not working for me either, using Linux, but the general stability is good, I had a couple of crashes, but this is probably because I was experimenting. Andrew, why do you call this Voxel painting when you cannot paint on Voxel sculpts? and if you try, your sculpt is converted to a Surface mesh, it should be called Surface Vertex Painting so not to confuse what's happening.

I had no problems "Autopo with MV Paint" with my Surface sculpt which I vertex painted, just edited the UV's a little, touched up the paint job in the Paint room then exported the model as a low poly with a displacement and colour map and imported into Softimage. All turned out great, except the obj was upside down and 10x too big, but that's no problem at all.

Great job guys, I can't wait to see what this evolves into.

T.

• Advanced Member

Yep, the fill is not working for me either, using Linux, but the general stability is good, I had a couple of crashes, but this is probably because I was experimenting. Andrew, why do you call this Voxel painting when you cannot paint on Voxel sculpts? and if you try, your sculpt is converted to a Surface mesh, it should be called Surface Vertex Painting so not to confuse what's happening.

I had no problems "Autopo with MV Paint" with my Surface sculpt which I vertex painted, just edited the UV's a little, touched up the paint job in the Paint room then exported the model as a low poly with a displacement and colour map and imported into Softimage. All turned out great, except the obj was upside down and 10x too big, but that's no problem at all.

Great job guys, I can't wait to see what this evolves into.

T.

It's a bit of work around, but I found that you can also fill pretty well with the lasso tool if you uncheck ignore back faces in the E panel.

Andrew, voxel painting is amazing and you're turning out updates at an impressive speed. Just wanted to mention a few things I noticed with the latest update that don't seem to be working correctly. The first thing is that when I switch a voxel object over into the paint room the world grid draws over the object. Navagating the viewport makes the grid lines behave as they should but once I stop they render over the object again. Second, Having the voxel tree pop up in the paint room makes sense but it seems to be inconsistant and doesn't respect the customizations I've made to my work area. Also, changeing the voxel resolution with the increase object resolution button in the voxtree deletes any paint on the object, which makes sense, but isn't as user friendly as it could be. Especially since voxel painting is bound to the voxel resolution, when the artist needs more detail increasing the voxel resoluiton is probably going to be the first thing they try. These are all litlte annoyances but are there non the less so I figured I would point them out in case you hadn't noticed them yet. Great work so far, I can see this new feature leading to a much more powerful paint room and this makes 3d-Coat even more valuable for me.

I am making that increasing resolution, resampling, voxelizing will not lead to loosing color.

You will be able to voxelize model, color will be kept (but not visible) and after getting back to surface mode it will be baked back over model.

The paiting on voxels is great! Is there a way to have a texure map that is already on a model import into 3d coat directly to the voxel object. For example I deal with a lot of 3d scan data that has a texture map captured to the model during the scan. If I could open up the obj mesh in 3d coat and have it read the texture to the imported voxel conversion that would be great! This would save time from having to reproject paint the texture back on to the model.

I will do converting from texture to vertex color if you imported model for vertex painting.

• Advanced Member

It's a bit of work around, but I found that you can also fill pretty well with the lasso tool if you uncheck ignore back faces in the E panel.

Thanks for that gbball, it indeed does the trick, its a pity that the Cavity doesn't work.

T.

• Advanced Member

I've gone back to an older version of 3dcoat and then back again....I've done this several times.Not being a computer genious like some of you clever people I was wondering ,am I doing it the right way...I have a folder with several versions I have downloaded , Cuda and Simp ( what does "Simp" mean by the way?) And all I have been doing is clicking the Version I would like to try, and It installs In no time. It seems to just replace the version I had. Is this the way to do it, or should I be deleting the installed version. Have I got a bunch of files slowly getting bigger and bigger somewhere clogging up my computer....

• Advanced Member

Great, i will reinstall the latest version and see if the solution to the "Case of the Invisible Object" that was suggested on my other thread works!

I love the VoxelLayer thingy, loads of possibilities. I've not given it a proper look yet,but is there an option to draw a constained straight line. I need to make a shopping trolly and I figured if I drew a grid around a primitive I could just extract one!! I did notice the Alpha brushes faded towards the edge? ( I had the option unchecked in Options ) Or maybe I'm just a bit SIMP! :)

Every time a new thing appears my mind races....but I need to learn the basics first I feel.....

Edit . I figured it out 2d Grid...Snap to grid...draw line....apply voxel layer...= wire basket mesh !

Had to revert back to previous vers as my model is invisible in the paint room unless you pres ALT?

I have the same problem, with both 3.7.03C DX and OpenGL versions (CUDA). Older files work fine, but creating new stuff leads to display bugs in paint room.

Just create a primitive sphere, use AUTOPO for Per Pixel. Then hide the voxel object. Now the retopoed object is only visible in paint room while pressing ALT or changing camera position/rotation with the buttons above the viewport. Painting over the invisible object works too, it just doesn't show up until you change your view.

Can more people confirm this behavior?

Just create a primitive sphere, use AUTOPO for Per Pixel. Then hide the voxel object. Now the retopoed object is only visible in paint room while pressing ALT or changing camera position/rotation with the buttons above the viewport. Painting over the invisible object works too, it just doesn't show up until you change your view.

I just tried this, works fine here.

DX 64 Cuda

• Reputable Contributor

So far the problems you are describing have not happen to me but I think a few other users are having similar problems.

I tested on both windows 32 bit and linux 64 bit versions and they are both the non-cuda versions.

If I come across the issue, I will let you know...

• Advanced Member

I'm continually blown away by 3DC and all the time, effort, and genius Andrew puts in for all of us. Thank you! So far I haven't experienced any crashes with a clean install of 3.07.03C, but I did discover something weird with VoxLayer. If I try to use rectangle/circle/spline mode with symmetry on, the selection area gets painted on the other side of my mesh, often in weird places that have no correlation to where I'm drawing. This doesn't happen with the regular/dot/stamp modes. I just finished reinstalling Windows and still need to install my 3DX drivers, so I can't say whether the multiple key press bug has been fixed or not. As for voxelpainting, not having much difficulty here either. Is it possible to transfer paint to ptex prior to export, and is it possible to import ptex painted models from other apps? I haven't gotten that far yet so I have no clue. I'm very hopeful the industry will accept ptex as a commonplace standard this year, and that we'll start seeing it in everything soon. I know it's something a lot of artists desire, including me lol. ;)

I did discover something weird with VoxLayer. If I try to use rectangle/circle/spline mode with symmetry on, the selection area gets painted on the other side of my mesh, often in weird places that have no correlation to where I'm drawing. This doesn't happen with the regular/dot/stamp modes.

Try checking the Depth Limit box in the E-Panel. That should fix it. As for it being in the wrong place if you do want it that's probably the perspective. If you try switching to orthographic mode with the cube icon in the upper right or 5 on your num pad you should see the shape cut straight through to the other side.

Is it possible to transfer paint to ptex prior to export, and is it possible to import ptex painted models from other apps? I haven't gotten that far yet so I have no clue. I'm very hopeful the industry will accept ptex as a commonplace standard this year, and that we'll start seeing it in everything soon. I know it's something a lot of artists desire, including me lol. ;)

I haven't tested but I assume if you have a polygon Retopo mesh you should be able to bake to Ptex from the Retopo room just like baking to microvertex (which I have tested). Unfortunately even the apps that do support it right now mostly don't have full support. Like they will paint normally and only export to Ptex. I think that's what mudbox does.

I'm having a problem where after saving a file that I've done poly painting, closing 3DC and opening 3DC with the same file, the poly paint work I did is not showing up in the viewport at all. Each layer I created is there, just no paint work.

I searched the thread but didn't see anything relating to this. Is anyone else having this issue?

Symmetry doesn't work all that well with poly painting. The symmetrical stroke will have missing chunks of the stroke created on the opposite side. A few simple test strokes on just a sphere primitive will show this. Attached is an example image.

post-1232-0-30267400-1326922606_thumb.jp

It's working for me. Is it perhaps loading with a different shader and you just can't see the paint?

Nope, I tried quite a few shaders after loading it.

I've successfully loaded a file before with poly painting work done in the file, but files with more complex geometry than a primitive, has so far given me trouble.

• Advanced Member

Ive noticed the "Showvoxelsinpaintroom" re-checks it self on if you switch it off then restart 3dcoat. This is a bit annoying because I think this is part of the "invisible model" syndrome I was getting.So you have to keep going back to switch it off to see your model in the paint room.

Ive noticed the "Showvoxelsinpaintroom" re-checks it self on if you switch it off then restart 3dcoat. This is a bit annoying because I think this is part of the "invisible model" syndrome I was getting.So you have to keep going back to switch it off to see your model in the paint room.

Hopefully when all is finished for v4, that box wont even be there, and we'll have a single outline panel for the entire app to hide/unhide any object.

Another inconsistency between poly paint and all other paint methods in 3DC, is that the freeze tool effect/look appears the same as the surface freeze tool from the voxel room. I think it's time that they appear the same, to be more consistent. All freeze tools in 3DC should appear exactly the same as in the paint room. This includes voxel/surface mode freeze tool, poly paint freeze tool, etc..

Another poly painting bug, the flatten surface paint tool doesn't do anything, and I suspect since there is a sculpting equivelant of this one, it shouldn't be available for use when poly painting. (If there were an outline panel, this could be contextual based on your selection in the outline panel)

That's probably related to the fact that there's no Hide tool in Voxel Surface mode.

I'm well aware of that, Phil. What I'm doing here is reporting bugs, redundancies and inconsistencies. The latter two of which, can cause serious confusion to new and existing users alike.

There is a hide tool for the paint room and there is one for voxels, and the (cell) hide tool in in the voxel room carries over to surface mode. What is more, they both function the same. So either it should be removed wheh poly painting or it should function exactly the same as elsewhere in the application and all redundancies should be minimized.

Another poly painting bug, and this one was already reported so I'm just confirming; Color sampling doesn't work correctly.

EDIT: Further investigation shows that it works sometimes, and sometimes not. It works OK when holding the hotkey for the color sampling tool (V key), but doesn't work at all when using the actual tool itself.