3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

so mostly i like the voxels and i dont make use of surfaces often and i didnt care about live clay yet.maybe im not sure what is it for.you must point the advantages.

The main advantage is that you can have detail whereever you want it without causine huge polycounts everywhere else. In volume mode in order to have fine detail in one part of the model you need very high resolution everywhere.

• Advanced Member

really fun!

i switch on with shift pressed and there was the loading bar and after i had to login.

then my windows partition was gone, the wacom drives were broken,and programs were crashing!

then i restart and now it looks better...

ufff

• Advanced Member

Yes moska, something is happening here. I can't reproduce it, except of using this creature mesh at ~1-2M merging.

We'll find it sooner or later.

then my windows partition was gone, the wacom drives were broken,and programs were crashing!

Windows partition on OSX?

• Advanced Member

"VoxLayer" tool observations;

I am very excited about this new tool, and I think it is a tool which I will be using a great deal. There are a few things at the moment though which really make it hard to use and which exclude it from my work flow, such as;-

- Using "Auto Voxelize" yields wavey sufaces with jaggered edges

- Using "Create as surface" yields nice smooth surface with nice sharp corners, but when going to voxel mode the surface becomes wavey with jaggered edges the same as using "Auto Voxelize" & upon returning to surface mode does not return to nice smooth surface with sharp edges.

- The freeze like painting to define the region to create VoxLayer works inconsistantly & I can only get it to work with "closed Shape Spline tools" and some times with the "curve and line" tools. Also it paints on backfaces even though I have the "Ignore back faces" box ticked & sometimes it is impossible to get the full darkness of the paint which leaves segments out upon applying.

I am curious as to whether anyone else is having these things happen, or is it something specific to my computer, charactoristics of my model or something. Or am I just doing things wrong?

Hope theres some answers to these problems, this new tool really does give an awesome effect.

I've been using VoxLayer a lot lately. What I'm doing to get a clean edge is rough in the shape I want just with the brush, then using LiveClay just around the edge to increase the resolution. After hitting Ctrl+D to clear the freeze I am able to get a clean edge without a huge amount of added polys.

BTW, a couple of problems I've been having with VoxLayer to be aware of. If I paint some freeze on and then undo 3DC crashes, happens every time, I reported it. Also when you create the new mesh it generates a new layer. If you undo at this point the mesh is deleted but the new layer stays. Speaking of new layers VoxLayer creates a new one each time you use it, but if you try to merge them (at least in Surface mode) 3DC crashes.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for that tip Phil, I will try inceasing the res.

To add another thing I found problematic is using the "CutOff" tool on layers created by "VoxLayer" tool, especially in areas that are concave. It is creating more mesh instead of removing at times, which makes it hard to get rid of those unwanted back faces, and 3DC has crashed once using this tool, but I am not having the undo crash you are experiencing.

Merging layers is Ok if you are merging to the voxel layer used to create the Voxlayer, but this changes the VoxLayer to a wavey jaggered appearance as I discribed earlier, but perhaps increasing the res. will fix this, I will try it out. I also have a crash merging to surface mode as you do.

Updated to 3.7.04A (Win)

- Cavity painting in voxels done - http://bit.ly/zQL6mJ

- FBX import export supported with vertex color

- Any layer may be marked as "Use as vertex weight" and used as vertex weight map if you will export scene as LWO. It works in all paint modes. Weight may de 0..1 or -1..1 on your choice

3.7.04 (Mac & Linux only)

- I made good pipeline to maintain color while surface<->voxels transitions. See description -

http://www.3d-coat.com/files/bakedemo.png

- All boolean operations [even between volumes] will preserve vertex color.

- Resample will keep color too. Color will be re-projected. New routine opens possibility to preserve color in almost all cases.

Changes since 3.7.03 :

[16.01.2012] 3.7.03C

- painting over multiple voxel layers simultaneously.

- Connector to Photohop works with voxel painting too.

- Fill tool preview will not lag even on highpoly voxel objects.

- New tool intodiced - layer. It is intended for medical application, but will be vy useful for cloth, hardsurface modeling and many other. See example - http://3d-coat.com/files/VoxLayer.jpg

- clone tool bug fixed - http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=459

[12.01.2012] 3.7.03B

- import/export of vertex colored obj & lwo files. Lwo - via vertex maps. Please check compatibility with xNormal

You may import obj-s from ZB and continue painting.

- multicore optimization.

- Frame fixed

- several crashes fixed

- symmetry plane works better (consistent size)

[11.01.2012] 3.7.03A

- export compatimle with ZB (should be tested)

- picking works correctly (H and V)

- baking problem mettioned by Phil (probably) fixed.

• Advanced Member

I reported some bugs on the mac build, did you fixed them? The side view painting for instance. Please Andrew. Some more information could be great.

If they still exist and start reporting again, this is boring for everyone.

• Reputable Contributor

3DCoat version 3.7.04A 32 bit non-cuda

Polypainting still causes 3DCoat to crash to the desktop according to Mantis Bug Report 0000473

priority_normal.gif

I start painting outside the area that I increased the number of trianlgutated polygons in but once I start brushing color over the newly created polygons

3DCoat gives the error message and crashes to the desktop.

Now according to the bug report, the depth has to be set to (0). and the detail to 2.00. for the inflateClay brush.

If you set the depth to greater than (0) 3DCoat does not crash to the desktop.

post-518-0-82846300-1327776406_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Well that was great, I opened the default large sphere and manipulated it with the move brush, dropped it to surface mode and in the paint room, added a bit of vertex colour, then went back to voxel room, changed to voxel mode, did some more with the moving brush, clicked to change to surface mode and CRASH, 3DC was gone!!!

Linux CUDA x64.

• Advanced Member

Well that was great, I opened the default large sphere and manipulated it with the move brush, dropped it to surface mode and in the paint room, added a bit of vertex colour, then went back to voxel room, changed to voxel mode, did some more with the moving brush, clicked to change to surface mode and CRASH, 3DC was gone!!!

Linux CUDA x64.

Same in windows

A note: Please make sure that you delete your config files, especially with these beta builds! Sometimes these types of things will be rememedied.

That said, I can confirm this bug, posted above my posts. Sorry I didn't catch that one early, Andrew. :(

And a HUGE thanks for implementing the weight painting. Super useful stuff there. :)

I know, some of you don't like it but I must remember you: Please post the bugs into mantis, the mac related too. I know always when a bug was fixed because I get an automatical message immediately from mantis. For Andrew it is much easier and faster to communicate this kind of infos over mantis, believe me. You are not forced to do it, but it would help a lot if everybody who like to do it would post the bugs into mantis.

Thank you

Chris

• Reputable Contributor

Also if you do post a bug report to mantis, keep a track of Andrew's response to it. Sometimes he needs more feedback. I was sick lately and did not check the mantis report. He closed out a bug report of mine because he did not get a response from me. He was asking me if it was fixed. I now will have to check and then get back to him on it. At times some bug reports remain unassigned for a while and it might seem Andrew is not respondiing to them. He is only one person plus Raul, so only so much time in a day to work on getting 3DCoat ready for version 4 and bug squashing...

• Advanced Member
I know, some of you don't like it but I must remember you: Please post the bugs into mantis, the mac related too. I know always when a bug was fixed because I get an automatical message immediately from mantis. For Andrew it is much easier and faster to communicate this kind of infos over mantis, believe me. You are not forced to do it, but it would help a lot if everybody who like to do it would post the bugs into mantis.

Understood!

Please excuse,

Sometimes it is good to colaberate with others to see if they are having the same things happening. I find this usefull in finding out whether it is actually a bug, or whether its just something I am doing wrong. People also from time to time come up with good little work arounds that can help you still get things done. It would be good if we could have somewhere where we could post such things for colaberation, either a thread here or on Mantis or both. I see many times people post in an issue they are having as bug when, in fact it is not a bug. I am guilty of this myself and am now reluctant to post it as bug until I 100% sure that it is a bug..

I think it would be a good idea for both reducing the amount of false reports so Andrew and team can focus on the real issues, and aslo for the users to learn things.

Or is there somewhere already you would like us to do such things?

Also, is it necessary to post a report for a crash when an automated report is generated and sent off?

I reported some bugs on the mac build, did you fixed them? The side view painting for instance. Please Andrew. Some more information could be great. If they still exist and start reporting again, this is boring for everyone.

Cube side painting fixed. Instability probably too. It was especially unstable for you because bug frequency was proportional to cores amount...

• Advanced Member

3.07.04A: If you Res+ a voxel mesh, you lose your ability to properly place the sphere in the Primitive tool. The other primitives don't seem to suffer from this problem. Are others seeing this? Just curious whether I need to perhaps delete my prefs file or not. Edit: Just noticed clicking some primitives highlights the cylinder button lol.

Following some basic tips for using cavity painting in 3D Coat. Some people asked me how to use cavity painting in the recent days. It's very funny, because cavity painting never changed basically... This attest me, that a lot of people never realised the great painting functionalities of 3D Coat and since vertex painting appeared on the screen more people discover the paint room... ;)

Here is my blog link with some fundamental tips for cavity painting:

http://3dcoat.blogsp...undamental.html

Bst wishes

Chris

Updated to 3.7.04B

- fixed crash in pipelive surface->paint->voxels, change->surface

- fixed crash in vertex painting due to mullticore optimisation

- fixed gizmo problem - to difficult to select arrow in some positions

- fixed sphere primitive placing problem

Short instructions to use vertex weights export to LW:

- go to Layers blending->Use as weightmap->choose signed / unsigned

- paint weights in correspondence to hints

- hide layers if need to avoid mess

- export as LWO, weights will be stored with names of layers

• Advanced Member

Updated to 3.7.04B

- fixed crash in pipelive surface->paint->voxels, change->surface

- fixed crash in vertex painting due to mullticore optimisation

- fixed gizmo problem - to difficult to select arrow in some positions

- fixed sphere primitive placing problem

Short instructions to use vertex weights export to LW:

- go to Layers blending->Use as weightmap->choose signed / unsigned

- paint weights in correspondence to hints

- hide layers if need to avoid mess

- export as LWO, weights will be stored with names of layers

Holy cow that was fast, and I'm happy about the gizmo change too. Your awesome, Andrew! I sure wish other devs were more like you. B)

• Advanced Member
Cube side painting fixed. Instability probably too. It was especially unstable for you because bug frequency was proportional to cores amount...

OK thanks,

Some information please...

this multithreading issue is fixed then... but on the 3.7.04B which happens to be for win OS only.

I'm confused.

Understood!

Please excuse,

Sometimes it is good to colaberate with others to see if they are having the same things happening. I find this usefull in finding out whether it is actually a bug, or whether its just something I am doing wrong. People also from time to time come up with good little work arounds that can help you still get things done. It would be good if we could have somewhere where we could post such things for colaberation, either a thread here or on Mantis or both. I see many times people post in an issue they are having as bug when, in fact it is not a bug. I am guilty of this myself and am now reluctant to post it as bug until I 100% sure that it is a bug..

I think it would be a good idea for both reducing the amount of false reports so Andrew and team can focus on the real issues, and aslo for the users to learn things.

Or is there somewhere already you would like us to do such things?

Also, is it necessary to post a report for a crash when an automated report is generated and sent off?

I guess, you can keep a general discussion about bugs here in this thread. This way is a good thing, important and can stay (Apart from that such forum discussions can't be avoided anyway. ;) ) As soon as you are shure it is one post the bug into mantis. A good way to proof a bugreport is to search for the keywords in mantis before posting it. Maybe someone else had already posted your issue too.

Thank you

Chris

A couple of weird things (which I will post to mantis). First, for some reason when I am poly painting and I switch from paint room to voxel room, change layers, and go back to paint room. My current color changes to an olive green shade, which looks like one I was using on an old project.

The other is that if there are multiple vox layers everything is fine on the selected one but when the cursor is over any other one it goes crazy. In my video example the shoulder patch is the selected voxel layer:

http://screencast.com/t/Mz6lCdQfF

Edit: As for the first part it looks like maybe it only retains the current color on a per voxel layer basis, not across the whole project.

• Advanced Member

I got an issue too .performing a Boolean with two poly painted models only keeps the colour on one part .the second messes up the colours into a mess .also holes are appearing sometimes and other times it's like the models patches have become disconnected and smoothing creates holes.undo also causes the paint in parts to be lost .some strange bugs that need sorting out.

Ideal VoxPaint Pipeline: how it should work

Feature idea: Bake color from separate VoxPainted surfaces to a new merged surface.

Merge VoxPainted 3B-s into a new scene so they keep color when switched to surface mode.

Voxpainted 3B-s keep paint after voxel volume merge or BOOLEAN by using BAKE.

This is bake from multiple source models to one target model.

1. Create separate models.[A, B, C]

2. VoxPaint them in surface mode. Export these models as separate 3B files.

3. Create a "Main" scene. Import all the objects [A, B, C] one by one. Switch them to surface mode, they should KEEP their original VoxPaint.

4. Switch all objects to voxel mode. MERGE or BOOLEAN these objects together.

5. Switch the merged voxel volume to surface mode:

--- BAKE: Now 3D-Coat must convert the merged volume to surface and transfer paint from source imported VoxPaint objects [A, B, C] to the new merged object [D]--