3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Advanced Member

can i ask if tomorrows begin the... ? :huh:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: FEATURE REQUEST TIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Feature-Request.png

I REALLY hope you are kidding, I just want stability and refinement of the features which are already there...

• Advanced Member

Feature request time?

Here we are again...

Mine will always be just one! Multi resolution sculpting, bake from multi resolution. Probably in the tweak room, mirroring all the sculpting tools.

I know it is very hard for coding. Harder than it looks. Difficult to perform well. So, what stops Andrew? LOL

Like I said, it depends on what you're referring to specifically. Like I would consider giving the Hide Tool in the Paint Room to ability to hide UV islands a feature, but you could also say that that's a refinement of its existing capabilities.

If you'd like, feel free to give examples or link to them on Mantis.

• Advanced Member

Problem:

3DCoat V4.0.03 Linux (GL64)

After Retopoing in the retopo room for a few hours, I clicked on the Commands>Clear by accident, but when I tried to undo (Ctrl+z or Edit>Undo) nothing happened, it would not undo, I then went to the preferences dialog and enabled auto save, as it was turned off, then saved the preferences, then all hell broke out with the UI with square blocks of colour randomly on the interface and total inability to do anything, I had to restart 3DCoat.

• Advanced Member

There is definitely something wrong with the undo, after working on a model for a while the undo doesn't work any more, and the smooth brush doesn't smooth!!!

And when this happens I get a pop up "File write error!" Unable to write file;

This is from the auto save....

Sergyi, I could do with your help on this one...

Edited by Tser

There is definitely something wrong with the undo, after working on a model for a while the undo doesn't work any more, and the smooth brush doesn't smooth!!!

Ok, I shown the problem to Sergyi, he will deeply discover it.

Stability is first priory.

• Reputable Contributor

Feature request time?

Here we are again...

Mine will always be just one! Multi resolution sculpting, bake from multi resolution. Probably in the tweak room, mirroring all the sculpting tools.

I know it is very hard for coding. Harder than it looks. Difficult to perform well. So, what stops Andrew? LOL

I wish at the very least, that the Tweak room gets a major update. Mirror all the basic Surface mode brushes, Transform tool, and possibly the Pose tool. This would be a more efficient environment for creating good morph targets and posing a low poly character.

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I have had issues with UNDO plenty lately. Doesn't always occur, just under certain conditions.

• Advanced Member

I have had issues with UNDO plenty lately. Doesn't always occur, just under certain conditions.

The thing that really tees me off is that when this happens it prevents you from saving your work, 3DCoat throws up a dialog stating that it could not read the contents of the folder - too many open files, so you have to restart and try to recover from a previous save.

T.

Upgraded to v4.0.03 and Assign Keys seems to work now. Also noticed a new Modo navigation preset which I had just put in a feature request on mantis for like 2 days ago :)

--

Anyone else have an issue where sometime tablet pressure with make the cursor shake slightly?

• Advanced Member

Has anyone tried more than one variety of tablet or have a pref. (Possibly this is the wrong thread...) But I have a Bamboo ,which is great,but if I sculpt a fine line with minimal pen pressure,it seems every 4th/5th stroke starts off with a big blob which I have to undo, then the next stroke is fine.I don't know if this is 3DCoat (v4) or my tablet.I tried altering the pressure setting in prefs but that didnt help.

• Reputable Contributor

Has anyone tried more than one variety of tablet or have a pref. (Possibly this is the wrong thread...) But I have a Bamboo ,which is great,but if I sculpt a fine line with minimal pen pressure,it seems every 4th/5th stroke starts off with a big blob which I have to undo, then the next stroke is fine.I don't know if this is 3DCoat (v4) or my tablet.I tried altering the pressure setting in prefs but that didnt help.

I get that too. Been meaning to ask Andrew about that. I try to adjust my brush settings to eliminate that (including spacing and depth profile), but I don't think that's practical to have to do with each brush. It should work smoothly by default.

• Contributor

try cranking the depth curve (beside 3Dcoat depth slider) a tiny bit so it does not start at zero.

Please report if it worked or not.

• Advanced Member

mmm couldnt find anything called depth curve, so fiddled with everything in the brush options plus "falloff" and "flatten curves" on the top row ,no luck apart from now when I adjust the brush depth with my penbutton, it seems I have to move it more to make it move? Must have adjusted something I should have left....

Edited by stusutcliffe

I have found that using 3DCoat for any length of time (days), the OGL driver (Linux) gets hammered and you have to restart x to reload the driver.

Hello, Tser! Thanks for your observations! After quite a long research the reason of this problem has been found. But the reason has not been eliminated yet. You will see why later. It was possible to reproduce the OpenGL glitches with dots on the whole screen which affect any application under Linux (even menus and text). Sometimes the Linux hangs before those glitches appear and only hard reset helps. During those glitches CUDA version suffers from missing cubes under brush. As it turned out the memory management of OpenGL under Linux and under Windows differs. When 3D-Coat adds a texture the OpenGL driver under Linux sends it directly to the video memory. After a long time (after many added unique textures) the video memory of the graphics card ends up. OpenGL doesn’t report the application about the insufficient memory. OpenGL driver continues to successfully add textures, vertex buffers, shaders. They overwrite existing data in the video memory. There is a dialog which shows how many video memory left in the System>Preferences>More Preferences>NVIDIA X Server Settings>GPU 0 - (GeForce XXXX)>Used Dedicated Memory. Just before the described glitches appear the video memory is almost used. Just add a new texture to the 3D-Coat or create any new geometry and the problem raises. Especially fragile is CUDA version of 3D-Coat, because CUDA reserves big chunk of video memory.

post-848-0-55021300-1370099863_thumb.jpg

• Contributor

mmm couldnt find anything called depth curve, so fiddled with everything in the brush options plus "falloff" and "flatten curves" on the top row ,no luck apart from now when I adjust the brush depth with my penbutton, it seems I have to move it more to make it move? Must have adjusted something I should have left....

to access the depth curve just hover the little pen icon that is just beside the depth slider in top of UI.

• Advanced Member

Got you..I opened up the graph,popped a new point in at the left hand side and dragged it down a bit to curve it.And I also tried just moving the first point at the far left up a square.Still not cured it, but I only got 4 blobbys out of 50 seperate strokes,which may be an improvement,but I diddnt do any counting before.Its good to learn about these mysterious little boxes though!

• Advanced Member

Hello, Tser! Thanks for your observations! After quite a long research the reason of this problem has been found. But the reason has not been eliminated yet. You will see why later. It was possible to reproduce the OpenGL glitches with dots on the whole screen which affect any application under Linux (even menus and text). Sometimes the Linux hangs before those glitches appear and only hard reset helps. During those glitches CUDA version suffers from missing cubes under brush. As it turned out the memory management of OpenGL under Linux and under Windows differs. When 3D-Coat adds a texture the OpenGL driver under Linux sends it directly to the video memory. After a long time (after many added unique textures) the video memory of the graphics card ends up. OpenGL doesn’t report the application about the insufficient memory. OpenGL driver continues to successfully add textures, vertex buffers, shaders. They overwrite existing data in the video memory. There is a dialog which shows how many video memory left in the System>Preferences>More Preferences>NVIDIA X Server Settings>GPU 0 - (GeForce XXXX)>Used Dedicated Memory. Just before the described glitches appear the video memory is almost used. Just add a new texture to the 3D-Coat or create any new geometry and the problem raises. Especially fragile is CUDA version of 3D-Coat, because CUDA reserves big chunk of video memory.

Hi there Sergyi, I don't have this OGL problem with any other application which uses OGL, I don't have any problem with the Linux X display and I am not using the Cuda version of 3DCoat, I run my system 24/7 and never restart it unless an update asks for a restart.

My new issue with the latest STABLE V4.0.03 of 3DCoat is that after using the program for a while, then taking a break for an hour or so, when returning to the program to do further work, I find that the program cannot save to the hard drive and on trying, gives a pop up dialog "Could not read the contents of xxxxx Too many open files" of course the xxxxx is the name of the folder that I am saving to, whats this all about, its as if 3DCoat cannot access my file system. All you can do after this happens is to restart 3DCoat and load a previously saved scene. I find it very frustrating working like this and will use ZBrush 4R5 (under wine in Linux) until you resolve this issue.

T.

Has anyone tried more than one variety of tablet or have a pref.

Actually I use a Monoprice (UCLogic) tablet these days, switched from wacom about a half year ago. They're extremely cheap (about 1/7 the cost of a comparably sized Wacom) and have very good pressure sensativity. Their drivers do have some issues, but most of them there are ways around. Some more info: http://frenden.com/post/31659364200/the-little-monoprice-graphics-tablet-that-could

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor

I'm running Linux 12.04 Ubuntu, using 3DCoat 4.0.03 non-cuda GL64 bit. So far I have not encountered the same problems as Tser's problem.

I have left the computer for several hours 3DC being left open and returned with no problems...

I always do manual saves not ever having used the auto-save feature.

This does not mean Tser does not have problems just reporting so far, I have not encountered them...