3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

Andrew, do you think that when using a preset, and then selecting a tool that the preset is based off of, should reset the settings the preset had? Right now it keeps all the same settings as the preset you previously used based on that tool. (For example a preset based on FlattenClay, and then using the actual FlattenClay tool). In essence the button for the tool, not the preset, should "reset" all attributes, or really it should be a preset itself. Otherwise you need to manually configure each setting or make a preset based off the "default" values for said tool, just to revert it.

Thanks!

• Advanced Member

Most of it is hardware. I don't have any problem with 4k maps on my 6 core AMD CPU, 16GB and GTX 470 Desktop. Not to say there isn't a little pause when toggling visibility, but no freezing up. You also have to keep in mind that graphic card naming conventions on laptops are very deceptive and inaccurate. They are extremely crippled in comparison to their desktop counterparts. They aren't even close (usually equivalent to desktop models 2-3 generations older). Plus, every layer has 3 image maps....so 6 x 3 = 18 4k maps. The bottleneck will be the lack of video RAM.

http://www.geforce.c.../specifications

Do you have Photoshop painting on the same obj. model with 18 4K maps? If not, try it. Painting models in PS, always seemed laggy and slow compared to 3D Coat, so I don't think that is an accurate comparison to make. Try using 1k-2k maps, and you'll probably see a big difference. You can change it by going to EDIT > Texture and Mesh Resolution.

Hi AbnRanger, I just tested painting 18 Layers in Photoshop CS6 64bit on the same laptop and switching visibility on and off between layers is instantaneous. I am not experiencing the ~3min hang up that I am doing the same thing in 3D Coat. So although you are right that 18 layers in Photoshop is equivalent to 6 layers in 3DC, it doesn't seem to be the problem. I'll go ahead and email Andrew directly since this appears to be a 3DC problem and it may be hard to follow in this busy thread...

• Reputable Contributor

Hi AbnRanger, I just tested painting 18 Layers in Photoshop CS6 64bit on the same laptop and switching visibility on and off between layers is instantaneous. I am not experiencing the ~3min hang up that I am doing the same thing in 3D Coat. So although you are right that 18 layers in Photoshop is equivalent to 6 layers in 3DC, it doesn't seem to be the problem. I'll go ahead and email Andrew directly since this appears to be a 3DC problem and it may be hard to follow in this busy thread...

I hope something can be done about this, but again, comparing a 2D app (with little to no overhead) to 3D Coat's behavior on a 3D Model is not a reasonable one. in 2D space, Photoshop doesn't have to apply those layers onto a model. That is why I suggested testing it's ability to turn on/off layers when those are assigned to a 3D Model in Photoshop. So, paint 18 4K layers on the same model, in Photoshop, and you'll have a better comparison. In fact, if you can record this process and turn those 18 layers off/on instantaneously, then that might compel Andrew to investigate it further.

• Advanced Member

I hope something can be done about this, but again, comparing a 2D app (with little to no overhead) to 3D Coat's behavior on a 3D Model is not a reasonable one. in 2D space, Photoshop doesn't have to apply those layers onto a model. That is why I suggested testing it's ability to turn on/off layers when those are assigned to a 3D Model in Photoshop. So, paint 18 4K layers on the same model, in Photoshop, and you'll have a better comparison. In fact, if you can record this process and turn those 18 layers off/on instantaneously, then that might compel Andrew to investigate it further.

Sorry, can you clarify? I did try 18 4K layers in Photoshop and it is instantaneous switching visibility on and off. Did you mean use a 3D object in a 3D layer in Photoshop? 3DC with 4-6 layers hangs for up to 3 minutes to turn visibility on and off - something is not exactly optimized at the least. There is something funky going on that doesn't need to be happening to hide a layer in 3DC. I can test something else if you could clarify, I'm not sure what you meant here. Btw the 3D model I was talking about had like 800 polys - pretty lightweight.

• Reputable Contributor

Yes. That's a more accurate comparison. Trying to compare PS's 2D performance to 3D Coat's layers tied to a 3D object is like trying to say a 4x4 truck to a Racing Bike. Sure they both have wheels but they are used for somewhat different purposes. I agree, that I would like to see some improvement there and with Large brush radius', but a LOT of the problem is with Video RAM. There is a guide in the manual that tells you how much you need to work with certain map sizes. 512MB is mighty small for a bunch of 4K maps on a laptop card.

• Advanced Member

Andrew, will you be adding the Steam TF2 feature to the non-Steam edition of 3DC? It's definitely something that would be fun to have and it seems a little odd that the cheaper Steam version has an add-on that the non-Steam version doesn't.

Please add it :D

• Contributor

Minor, but useful tweak: http://3d-coat.com:8...view.php?id=891

Am I the only one who would find pre-selection spin edge useful?: http://3d-coat.com:8...view.php?id=865

Actually, I requested something similar, I'd also like to see a hotkey implimentation from within the Add/split tool ie Hover over an edge and hit a key to spin :)

Is anybody else getting weird behavior with the docked tabs, like Tool Options, Layers, Shaders, etc? I have the panels docked, but sometimes when activating a new tool, a copy of the panel pops up over, hovering, the same panel which is now empty. It doesn't happen always, but it's frequent enough to be distracting. This is in the latest BETA9C.

And a few times the Layers tab doesn't show anything (as in the panel is completely empty) when I switch to paint room, but bringing up the Layers panel with L hotkey, it shows the layers and the usual buttons correctly.

• Reputable Contributor

Is anybody else getting weird behavior with the docked tabs, like Tool Options, Layers, Shaders, etc? I have the panels docked, but sometimes when activating a new tool, a copy of the panel pops up over, hovering, the same panel which is now empty. It doesn't happen always, but it's frequent enough to be distracting. This is in the latest BETA9C.

And a few times the Layers tab doesn't show anything (as in the panel is completely empty) when I switch to paint room, but bringing up the Layers panel with L hotkey, it shows the layers and the usual buttons correctly.

Yes, I've been noticing the extra pop-up panel, too.

• Contributor

Do anything you want in the app to create undos, create about 20. Undo (ctrl+z)fast with voxtree (it may work with other things though).

When working on a complex scene you can get maybe 20 duplicates in that tray...

You can get pretty cool result (even crashes)...

tarded.jpg

I've seen those happen in the past but not recently and it was the Tool Options that was blank for me I think. My problem now is that a floating panels resize themselves to their "docked" size if you try to drag them by the tab.

Video:

http://screencast.com/t/BxpCkzhU

• Advanced Member

hello... what the heck is happening here..?

yesterday when I saved it, I had the retopo model baked with Ptex..

the retopo mesh was there in retopo room

the voxel (surface) mesh ( scan) was there too..

Now after saving and re-opening

in Paint room, no Ptex anymore, and as a result, well unusable

retopo mesh is gone

Voxel room... gone too..

What is going on...? Dang...

h/

post-2277-0-54498500-1357981852_thumb.jp

I've been using a lot of 2D Paint voxel tool and other tools that have the Draw over plane feature. I'd like a rotation gizmo for the plane. You can already manually set the rotation of it (from "Normal of the plane" boxes), but it's not a very user friendly way to go about it.

A translation gizmo would be super handy as well. (for the move plane forward numerical input box)

What do you guys think? Is this a worthwhile thing or not?

• Reputable Contributor

hello... what the heck is happening here..?

yesterday when I saved it, I had the retopo model baked with Ptex..

the retopo mesh was there in retopo room

the voxel (surface) mesh ( scan) was there too..

Now after saving and re-opening

in Paint room, no Ptex anymore, and as a result, well unusable

retopo mesh is gone

Voxel room... gone too..

What is going on...? Dang...

h/

Post it on Mantis, as Andrew checks that regularly. May not see it on here.

• Reputable Contributor

Thank you... just did it..

h/

If it's super urgent (holding you up from meeting a deadline, with no work around available), you can mark it as "immediate" and I would also e-mail Andrew to follow that up (support@3d-coat.com).

On different note, I discussed a few typos and name changes in the UI, with Andrew. Some of those should be in future versions. I also changed a few things for my own use:

1) Changed "Masks" to "Stencils"

2) Changed Materials PANEL (not pallet), to "Surfaces"

3) Changed "Move Vertices" to "Move Elements" in Retopo room

4) Changed "Interpolate" to "Steady Stroke"

5) Changed "Update Retopo" to "Conform Retopo Mesh"

6) Changed "Detalize" (misspelled anyway) to "Add Detail"

7) Changed "Detalize more" to "Extra Detail"

8) Changed "AUTOPO" to "Auto-Retopo"

9) Changed the wording "Carcass Mesh" to "Viewport Mesh."

I think new users should be able to have a vague understanding what a tool/feature does by the name. "Interpolate," "Carcass" and "Autopo" is totally foreign terminology to a new user. "Move Vertices" doesn't accurately indicate what the tool does/is capable of. "Masks" is a confusing term, when you have the same terminology applied to Layer Masks, and the Freeze tool doing what MASKS do in other applications. "Stencils" are what they are and it provides some naming standardization.

You can copy the attached English.XML file in the Install directory of 3D Coat > Languages. Open the app. > go to the HELP menu > Languages > English. This will update the changes. It would be a good idea to save a copy of it elsewhere, so you can access it if the file gets written over (via new build installs?). Also, you can make your own changes by opening the file with a decent Text Editor (windows 7 comes with WordPad), use the FIND feature (in the toolbar of WordPad), to locate the text you want to replace. Only modify the lines that have a <TEXT> wrapper. Do not change the ones with an <ID> wrapper.

• Like 2

Almost every one of those changes is something I've mentioned or complained about in the past. A couple like Move Vertices I have noticed but always forget to mention. This should make things much easier for new users. Heh I think Interpolate was originally called Soft Stroke, so this would be the third name it's had.

• Reputable Contributor

Almost every one of those changes is something I've mentioned or complained about in the past. A couple like Move Vertices I have noticed but always forget to mention. This should make things much easier for new users. Heh I think Interpolate was originally called Soft Stroke, so this would be the third name it's had.

Well, it does utilize interpolation, but "Interpolate" is far too technical and confusing for many users. Steady Stroke is something everyone will/would know what it does, without having watch a tutorial or dig through the manual to find out. Same thing about Auto-Retopo. Autopo is the most confusing term in the whole app (next to carcass mesh). The goal is to make it as easy as possible to learn the app. Not force the new user to have to find out what an Autopo is.

• Reputable Contributor

I'm noticing that if you paint a freeze selection, holding the SHIFT key, to smooth, does not work. You have to actually start painting again, then hold SHIFT. How does this stuff that was working fine, get busted all of a sudden?

http://www.screencast.com/users/dnashj33/folders/Default/media/d3c7e1e3-a0b1-4775-a60e-958d544df1b6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9Sv1yRe5PI&list=UUSjhT2NgUAmlVCW-Rhw9S_A&index=2

• Reputable Contributor

I'm noticing that if you paint a freeze selection, holding the SHIFT key, to smooth, does not work. You have to actually start painting again, then hold SHIFT. How does this stuff that was working fine, get busted all of a sudden?

Edit: I reread your statement....

Ah, I see what you mean, If you are painting a freeze selection and while you are still brushing you hold down the shift key then the brush cursor is constrained to the direction of your brush stroke and no smoothing takes place. Could there be a hot key that is being stacked and is invoked for constraining the brush stroke to your brush direction. I will have to look and see and if not then it is a bug...

This happens with painting color as well...

• Reputable Contributor

I just realized there's no way of duplicating retopo layers other than to export one to file and import back to 3D Coat. Or am I wrong?

http://3d-coat.com:8...view.php?id=908

Click "Select all faces on layer" icon at the bottom of the panel (or just the faces you want to duplicate) > CLONE button. 2-3 clicks (a new layer is created for you)
  • Like 1