3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

• Contributor

Anyone else having trouble with LiveClay looking lumpy? it's been doing this for the past couple of versions for me.

http://screencast.com/t/PjVTJ5QNEqt2

Not me...

Look if a stripe is on,maybe it is the issue...a few days ago I had a problem with a brush being lumpy and I discovered a stripe was associated with the brush (it seems it had inherited the stripe from another brush...)

• Reputable Contributor

Oh I found the solution. User error, I has some procedural noise turned on. My mistake.

speaking of which...I wish Andrew would add some more procedural noise/patterns to work with. It's one of ZBrush's features, and I found it very handy using it in the General Brush. But there are too few of them. Some Reptile skin patterns would be awesome, as well as adding all those in the FILL tool from the Paint room.

speaking of which...I wish Andrew would add some more procedural noise/patterns to work with. It's one of ZBrush's features, and I found it very handy using it in the General Brush. But there are too few of them. Some Reptile skin patterns would be awesome, as well as adding all those in the FILL tool from the Paint room.

Yes I saw that being used for some broken up rock textures that looked pretty nice. I'd love to have that in 3DC.

• Reputable Contributor

Colour Sampling (w/ V key) doesn't work on locked sub-objects or surfaces (still incorrectly called materials)

http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=859

I agree. There is inherent confusion having a Materials Panel and another Materials Panel (Pallet) for something else entirely. I believe Greg was asked to change this long ago, but hasn't. Not sure why. Also, Masks Pallet should be renamed STENCILS. That is what it is, and doing so would remove any confusion for new/prospective users. Masks are associated with painting Layer Masks, in Photoshop and other CC apps....not overlays.

Autopo SHOULD HAVE A BUTTON in the tool panel of the Retopo Room as well. That's where any new user would look for it. Way too big of a feature to be hidden in a right-click menu. Would be nice to get these things addressed before V4 is officially released.

• Like 1

• Contributor

I agree. There is inherent confusion having a Materials Panel and another Materials Panel (Pallet) for something else entirely. I believe Greg was asked to change this long ago, but hasn't. Not sure why. Also, Masks Pallet should be renamed STENCILS. That is what it is, and doing so would remove any confusion for new/prospective users. Masks are associated with painting Layer Masks, in Photoshop and other CC apps....not overlays.

+1

Uncluttering_menus05.jpg

colorpalettes.png

• Like 1

Currently 3D-Coat bakes the nicest Displacement map compared to the latest Mudbox and any 3DSMax versions. If the baking task is a lowpoly mesh and its separate highest level hipoly sculpted counterpart. Max is really disappointing, since it has only "Height Map" and it looks ridiculous. Mudbox can import the highest poly count mesh from the three, but it puts pitch black areas on the disp. map, which appear in Max as shallow craters on renders.

3D-Coat displacement map renders fine in Max.

updated to BETA9C

- Important change! "Ignore backfaces" works basing on Z-Buffer, not on normals direction. It makes possible to work correctly over multilayered structures correctly (example - thin pants).

- Curve stroke improved to work well with thin walls even if b-splines are used.

- a lot of mantis bugfixes

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

- Important change! "Ignore backfaces" works basing on Z-Buffer, not on normals direction. It makes possible to work correctly over multilayered structures correctly (example - thin pants).

No that's interesting. I wonder if this is why I was having trouble with shorts/pants. Excellent Andrew, will check out the new BETA version.

Ricky.

Talking about UI changes...

Libraries: Pop-up Windows vs Tabbed Windows

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10114&hl=&fromsearch=1

mantis

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=861

----------------------------------------

BeatKitano suggestion

+1

• Advanced Member

I only recently updated to 3.7.18H (though it actually says F I see) and am wondering if it's worth installing the v4 beta. I'm having a ton of continuously annoying problems in the retopo room and it's driving me nuts. I honestly don't remember having so much difficulty in the previous version (3.7.15 or .16, can't remember exactly). I've taken to incrementally saving after ever little thing I do because it's become so very easy to destroy some part of my mesh I can't see while zoomed in, which I am 90% of the time.

So I guess my main question, besides the above, is whether it's ok to install v4 without it overwriting v3. Can the coexist side by side? And does anyone know how to get v3 to show how many edges are selected in edge selection mode, as well as show how many vertices are selected in vertex selection mode? That would go a long way to preventing damage instead of me having to load an older save and redo a bunch of work (again). Right now 3DC v3 will only show how many faces are selected when in face selection mode.

PS: Sorry if this is the wrong place to post these questions, but the v3 thread says to come here because it's not supported anymore.

• Reputable Contributor

I only recently updated to 3.7.18H (though it actually says F I see) and am wondering if it's worth installing the v4 beta. I'm having a ton of continuously annoying problems in the retopo room and it's driving me nuts. I honestly don't remember having so much difficulty in the previous version (3.7.15 or .16, can't remember exactly). I've taken to incrementally saving after ever little thing I do because it's become so very easy to destroy some part of my mesh I can't see while zoomed in, which I am 90% of the time.

So I guess my main question, besides the above, is whether it's ok to install v4 without it overwriting v3. Can the coexist side by side? And does anyone know how to get v3 to show how many edges are selected in edge selection mode, as well as show how many vertices are selected in vertex selection mode? That would go a long way to preventing damage instead of me having to load an older save and redo a bunch of work (again). Right now 3DC v3 will only show how many faces are selected when in face selection mode.

PS: Sorry if this is the wrong place to post these questions, but the v3 thread says to come here because it's not supported anymore.

The V4 install will go into it's own directory, by default.

• Contributor

A suggestion, if I may:

If one is using ZBrush navigation type (or a custom one that bases on it), then navigating around the scene is very troublesome with tools like:

- Stroke,

- Points/Faces,

- Voxel Spheres,

- Curves,

- any other that works by clicking outside of an object

ZBrush rotation around the scene means, that one have to click and hold a LMB outside of an object first and, when these tools are selected, then this action ends with placing a stroke, point, sphere or whatever the tool does.

This is why I ask for an option to use a modifier key while working with these tools.

So, for example, [CTRL+SHIFT]+LMB places a stroke/point/sphere/voxel or whatever, but simply pressing LMB does not, so one still is able to navigate without the need to use Navi Zones.

• Contributor

My own opinion which I'm sure will not please everyone but I need to say it.

Zbrush created a retarded navigation system when wavefront created a "standard' with maya nav (at least it's a highly recognized scheme that even competitor products took as preset). Mudbox adopted it, 3ds 2013 adopted it and many other big packages.

So my question is:

Do we really need to support a retarded creation ? Even more when there's zswitcher (you have to pay, right) to makes things NORMAL again on zbrush side (because Zbrush created this situation not the others)...

Now I'm waiting for the haters saying "yeaaah but it's tablet friendly !" (how's that, you still have to use alt pressed or unpushed to zoom/pan !) but honestly think about it, who's the bugger here, zbrush or all the other packages ?

I hate to relearn software as much as anyone, but when you could simply use ONE scheme for almost all your app, why would you create a couple of "anomalies" in your pipeline ?

• Contributor

Navigation preferences are subjective, indeed.

While I normally prefer Maya's navigation over any other, I find ZBrush one more comfortable when sculpting and texturing. It just feels easier for me to be used with a tablet.

That said, another thing comes to my mind. What if we had an ability to configure each room to utilise a specific navigation set?

For example, as I said above, I prefer ZBrush navigation over Maya's in Voxel and Texture Rooms, but not necessarily in the Retopo Room. I'm not sure if someone will agree with me, nor if it's worth the programming effort, but it would be nice and would save some clicking if we could pre-configure rooms to use different navigation sets.

• Contributor

Navigation preferences are subjective, indeed.

While I normally prefer Maya's navigation over any other, I find ZBrush one more comfortable when sculpting and texturing. It just feels easier for me to be used with a tablet.

That said, another thing comes to my mind. What if we had an ability to configure each room to utilise a specific navigation set?

For example, as I said above, I prefer ZBrush navigation over Maya's in Voxel and Texture Rooms, but not necessarily in the Retopo Room. I'm not sure if someone will agree with me, nor if it's worth the programming effort, but it would be nice and would save some clicking if we could pre-configure rooms to use different navigation sets.

Not my gig but as you see having multiple preset is already a problem because Andrew needs to code the tool interaction system depending on nav preset. Imagine that in each room with preset changing from room to room :/

Said it before but it's never a bad idea to repeat:

Artman should be a consultant on brush feeling. Flatten brush is almost the trimdynamic I've been desesperately asking here

• Contributor

Flatten brush is almost the trimdynamic I've been desesperately asking here

You can try making your own with Flatten curve tweaking....its a lot of trial/error until you find the feeling you want.

I tried to go more toward a Polish brush feel....personnaly I dont like Trimdynamic,its too violent.

...I always thought it was a lot like actual SF Flatten.

Its good to blockout big Hard surface shapes but its too violent to make precise complex shapes....