3D Coat Forums
digman

New Curves Beta

Version 4.8.16

New Beta Curves.

Using the Cut Off Tool.

The new curves still does not make smooth clean cuts as the old curves do. The new curves are still in beta but before final release the new curves need to make clean cuts as the old curves do when using the cut off tool.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New Beta Curves.

Now if you use Cut and Clone tool the cuts are clean and smooth. 

The clone tool also created a clean smooth surface.

nosmooth.PNG

Edited by digman
corrections

I will write brazenly right here. Finally, add the ability to edit the scale of curve points with a hotkey, rather than a boring mouse size transfer. I'm not interested in adjusting the size of the mouse to the size of this section of the curve each time, while the spline is rarely symmetrical with respect to the center of the brush.

Edited by Sorda

And why in the .15 version I can see real-time changes to extrusion settings, profile rotation, and so on, and in .18 only through the "Apply Curve" button? What is that for ..?

Bug confirmed and reported

Tube-array tool visualization: Bug confirmed, only can see real time changes if i slightly move any curve point.

Can't seem to assign hotkeys to the top left  Curve editor functions, tried both exe's and checked the xml file to see if they were there (they were).

Initially it assigns the key but as soon as you load another brush and then go back to it, it disappears.

Also moving a curve point and inheriting the brush size should be optional or should only happen with a hotkey, otherwise it's very unpractical,

and I don't really understand why the Curve editor functions panel appears and disappears, i cant see the point of it.

It would seem however that this is one of the best tools available in 3D-coat, it makes Zbrush look very poor in comparison.

Tested the new curves the 1st time.

Do someone knows how to add a new point inbetween two selected points? Or add a point to an existing curve at any position???

I'm working since over 20 years with vector tools, but for any reason I am not able to do this. Is it not supported (yet) ?

EDIT: Found it... it was hidden (?!?!?!) You have to double click on a curve. Why?!

Why not supporting already existing standards and then improve them?

Just watch Illustrator for example or Corel Draw to see how they solved this. Try to keep standards.

But the new curves is a step forward.

Just for info: After working some some time with the new curves I like them. Will post bugs if see some.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Shpagin said:

- Huge changes in curves. Filling curve by patch works stable and provides good quality. Filling with holes inside supported. Just add curve in sub-tree of filled curve and it will be treated as hole. Boolean operations between curves in 3D. Many changes related to curves. 

how can I delete the curves with keyboard instead of right click>delete?

the old way is hit Esc key. its so simple.

never mind, found it. just hit delete key.

Edited by TLE
  • Like 1

(Regarding loading curves in 4.8.31 Beta) 

Hi team.

Can I ask, what version of Illustrator .EPS should I be saving as ? Nothing was showing up in 3DC after selecting the latest version Illustrator EPS CC, CS6, CS2 and Illustrator EPS 8 produces strange squiggly lines as curves in 3DCoat. 

This shape as an expanded vector in Illustrator CC 2018 (EPS)

image.thumb.png.be18aff6757d5966bb4d3518a1d12d39.png

image.thumb.png.230261691e708cb033a8c2858453acda.png

Or worse, in some older versions of Illustrator EPS (for example Illustrator EPS v8). One imported curve from that looked like a bowl of noodles. 

BTW, the spline is differently joined at all points.  Would LOVE to get this working as I think it would really help clean up my hard surface modelling outcomes.

Many thanks guys.

Jamie

Is it possible to loft between splines? 

Awesome news!  Sorry to push the topic, but what about intersecting splines...kind of like being able to create a grid pattern with new cv points created at the intersections? 

https://blenderartists.org/t/custom-build-dyntopo-improvement-toporake/1142166

This is a Blender script that does a smart dynotopo so that the triangle edges conform to the stroke.  I think it would be great to allow the splines to dynamically reflow the sculpt mesh topology so that the spline can be used to create clean edges.  Further, the spline should be usable to deform the mesh like a move tool with falloff.

• Like 2

I did this a long time ago, but it seems like the functionality is almost ready to do this kind of work.

3d-coat_edge.jpg

3d-coat_now.jpg

3d-coat_now1.jpg

3d-coat_now2.jpg

3d-coat_now3.jpg

3d-coat_poly.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for your detailed development and explanation, have you sent it by mail to Andrew to support@3dcoat.com ?

To be honest, I don't remember.  I think I might have shared these before.  Some of it might have shared with Raul when he was still part of the team.  I'll send it along though.

• Like 1

I created a couple of videos to demonstrate a bit of what I'd like to see here.  This is a basic example of manipulating the Voxel or Surface mode sculpt with curves, which would act like pseudo polygons.

This was done in Blender by using a subdivided sphere, and a grease pencil stroke drawn on the surface.  The grease pencil stroke was then converted to geo, joined to the sphere and then manipulated with volumetric soft selection.

This would be a really powerful workflow with curves and voxels/surface sculpts.  Even better if in surface mode, the topology could conform to the curves so that we'd get nice sharp edges there.

It's not shown here, but I would also like to be able to extrude a curve shape, creating a duplicate curve that would behave like a polygon extrusion.

Lastly, it would be great to convert curves to polygons similar to how the strokes tool works in the retopo room.

GIF0.gif

GIF1.gif

Edited by gbball
  • Like 1

Yeah, I've been asking for a PATH DEFORM option (for the Pose tool) for a while now. It would be especially helpful for modeling vehicles where you need more nuanced control.

• Like 1

Yeah, it would be an ideal setup.  Is this a Max plugin?  I think as 3D Coat matures, we'll start to see some interesting plugins being developed.  I had a look at the scripting API, but it was all in Russian, so I'm not sure how much of the data scripters have access to.

I know this is all new, but if someone gets a chance to explain the intended purpose and functionality of this tool, I'm sure many people would benefit (including me).

I have been toying with it and I've got to say I don't quite understand it.  Below is an example.

Left is a standard surface Pinch brush.

Middle is a freehand closed Curve applied with the same Pinch brush.

Right is an open Curve - same brush.

I don't understand the results of the closed curve.

Thanks.
image.thumb.png.362480d7f3fd9bdcde7132ed8ca0d206.png

3 hours ago, smatthews1999 said:

I know this is all new, but if someone gets a chance to explain the intended purpose and functionality of this tool, I'm sure many people would benefit (including me).

I have been toying with it and I've got to say I don't quite understand it.  Below is an example.

Left is a standard surface Pinch brush.

Middle is a freehand closed Curve applied with the same Pinch brush.

Right is an open Curve - same brush.

I don't understand the results of the closed curve.

Thanks.
image.thumb.png.362480d7f3fd9bdcde7132ed8ca0d206.png

Pinch is an effect you would want to apply ALONG a stroke path. Closed Curve will FILL everything inside. So, you would want an OPEN spline, and there is usually an option to close the Open Spline, in the list menu. This still applies the brush/effect ALONG the curve, but completes the circuit.

• Like 1