3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

I made possibility [optional] to merge mesh into voxel scene without actual voxelization. It will appear in voxel surface mode and ...

Great news! :)

I just hope pos,rot,scale and Uvs will be preserved on import and export (with no vertex reordering of course).

Otherwise it wont be that useful for production...

Great news! :)

I just hope pos,rot,scale and Uvs will be preserved on import and export (with no vertex reordering of course).

Otherwise it wont be that useful for production...

On this stage it vertices may change order and UV are not preserved, but it was first stage. I will do that required things a bit later.

Just now it may be used to merge instances without voxelizing and to participate in baking.

• Advanced Member

http://twitter.com/andrewshpagin -

Also I made mechanism for 3DCoat's extensions, at first for collaboration with Raul, and as basis of future 3D-Coat SDK for all users.
I can't release SDK right now, but when we will do scripting, it will be a lot helpful. We plan to do C++ scripting after some time.

Nice, i have been suggesting scripting or a SDK for a while now and this would be really great, the app link thing definitely worked well so it will be interesting to see what sort of things people can make with a real SDK or scripting. With C++ plugins/scripts it would allow 3DC to do a similar thing to blender and enhance the app a lot with new tools and options.

There has been a lot of good news recently with 3DC, this is really great. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Looks cool!

Seems a little cumbersome though, why not allow a quicker way to "pick" the locations of vertices? For example, using middle click with a modifier to place the points in space directly, one after another.

MMB Over an object (or CTRL+MMB) = Place point 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 (and so on until complete if more points are needed)

On that topic, there are a few tools with such settings could be changed, why not bind this to the MMB for all general functions? LMB completes the action, RMB sets size/intensity, MMB misc/gen settings for tool (could be assigned by the user even?). Just a thought.

• Applink Developer

Looks cool!

Seems a little cumbersome though, why not allow a quicker way to "pick" the locations of vertices? For example, using middle click with a modifier to place the points in space directly, one after another.

MMB Over an object (or CTRL+MMB) = Place point 1, then 2, then 3, then 4 (and so on until complete if more points are needed)

On that topic, there are a few tools with such settings could be changed, why not bind this to the MMB for all general functions? LMB completes the action, RMB sets size/intensity, MMB misc/gen settings for tool (could be assigned by the user even?). Just a thought.

Agree 100%

With this feature very important thing is that I can create the plane fast. with couple of mouse clicks.

• Advanced Member

Looks great! Can't wait to try it..

Has anyone seen the gradient tool gizmos in sketchbook pro Designer?

Right around 0:54

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?xl=xl_blazer&v=jXENHOzf3AE

That only shows a touch of what can be done. I spent some time playing with the gradient gizmos.. Amazing!

I was thinking something like this would work for the pose and freez tools. I imagine the gizmo would be overlaid and manipulated into position and then initiated to project the gradient through the surface or on to the surface.

Thanks,

IC

• Advanced Member

Agree 100%

With this feature very important thing is that I can create the plane fast. with couple of mouse clicks.

MMB may not be a clever choice depending on Wacom - User-Preferences.

If that functionality was established a Modifier-Key should be freed which allows emulating MMB.

• Advanced Member

I think your link is wrong.

Thanks for pointing that out..

Go to 0:54..

There is also a spot at 1:11 that shows a gizmo modifying a vector image.. You can do this same kind of thing with the boarders of the gradient gizmo + you have unlimited control of the colors in the gradient, where the colors start and stop and how they transition.

Sorry bout that..

IC

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Andrew - saw the tweet on memory leaks. Years ago I coded in C and C++ and had to deal with memory and resource leaks.

I used a tool set that seems like it may still be available:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BoundsChecker

It's been quite a while, but there were also tools available (I expect many are open source now), that would allow inserting debug code that could be used to test all of the important routines. Took some work to set all of this debug code up and the test suites, but as it is so easy for new code to break something, we found it quite useful to implement. Another program would call all of these routines during nightly builds.

I'm sure you are light years ahead of what I was doing as it was so long ago, but ... thought I'd throw that out anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Very important addition! Move & Pose tool may be optionally applied through all visible volumes (see checkbox "Through all volumes").

http://bit.ly/gZAIlS , http://bit.ly/erzctN

I'm speechless. :o What a powerful addition!

(Andrew,what Im wondering tough is which volume space will be used for symmetry?..I'm guessing current selected volume,that would make sense and users could even create an empty voxel layer with custom symmetry plane....anyway,I'll see soon enough :) )

• Advanced Member

Does this means we can now sculpt volumes independently of their visibility ?

I guess you mean regardless whether the active object or not?

Actually I'm very happy that one can no more accidently edit hidden stuff in 3DC...

I didn't realize Andrew tweeted about this feature. I've been testing it out today for some time, it works pretty well! I think a lot of folks are going to be quite happy with the results. This has been a big request by a number of users and companies.

Anywho, it only works with the pose and move tools. There is an option (at least for the moment, it could change at any time) to allow you to work on all volumes. It's still a rather powerful feature! I could this this being expanded to other tools (or even most of them where applicable).

As far as which symmetry plane is used, I have just tested it a few times. It seems that when you reposition a symmetry plane for one voxel layer, that all symmetry planes on every visible layer is changed. I'm not sure why the difference in symmetry plane. I'll mention this to Andrew.

Here's a quick video on what I mean:

http://vimeo.com/23059493

PS - Another new feature I think everyone will really like should be, hopefully, available in the next build...

Just read this from Andrew's twitter:

Ok, I made it while being in Pose tool lands. Free form transform in Pose tool!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

really like the pose tool working between volumes. really wish the hide and carve tools worked like this too.

since so much sculpting is working on the outlines of things, having the "hide" tool do this would save steps for those of us who use lots of colorized vox layers.

• 2 weeks later...

Andrew posted this video showing that you can now use E panel booleans in Surface mode and even keep sharp edges.

http://bit.ly/m4HkPi

Unfortunately he says you can't switch back to voxels and retain the sharp edges. This is what bugs me about Surface mode, I hate the idea of being stuck and not being able to go back to voxels. I like voxels and I like the tools in that mode.