3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

• Advanced Member

Well according to Andrew on Twitter it makes everything smoother. He gave this example for thin paint strokes.

128774608388.jpg

Yea, I got that much so far. My question is more along the lines of how is it smoother, did Andrew implement some sort of sub-pixel sampling, higher path sampling? And how do these brush engine enhancements carry over to surface and voxels?

Not really important I guess, but I'm curious to know.

I'm not entirely certain. But from the discussions I've had, it's more akin to how the photoshop brush engine functions. Smooth strokes that look good with no jaggedness. That is of course my limited knowledge on it. I didn't pry the details out of him. ;)

• Advanced Member

new brushes feel great andrew!

looking forward to the full integration with voxels!

128887507386.jpg

I attached my wrinkle brush and my cloth brush if you would like to include them.

btw, these settings really need to be stored with the brushes, I keep having to setup my wrinkle tool and my cloth tool every time I restart.

128887521277.jpg

128887532242.jpg

brushes.zip

I agree. It's been on the agenda, maybe it can be pushed it up... I'll see what I can do. :)

new brushes feel great andrew!

looking forward to the full integration with voxels!

128887507386.jpg

I attached my wrinkle brush and my cloth brush if you would like to include them.

btw, these settings really need to be stored with the brushes, I keep having to setup my wrinkle tool and my cloth tool every time I restart.

128887521277.jpg

128887532242.jpg

brushes.zip

• Contributor

Strange, I was always sure that brush settings are kept on disk as XML files with the same name as brushes.

Please check if brush setting are really not stored.

-Not Falloff value

-Not interpolate(soft stroke) on/off

-Not interpolate(soft stroke) value

-Not Smoothing value

:)

(Zb/MB store those per brushes)

But what users really wants is way to SAVE that preset and load it in the interface as an Icon and a custom name.(its much easier for sharing too)

It is very old MB 1.0, Zb 2.0 features. It very important for sculptors.

All sculptors make themselves specific brushes

(ex: Spiraloid could save to file his Cloth and Wrinkle brushes and load them like if they were a complete tool and assign them to the interface).

In fact 70% of Zb brushes are presets based on a dozen Basic brushes.

But they all have different names for specific purposes like Stone brush,or Wood brush ect...

• Advanced Member

-Not Falloff value

-Not interpolate(soft stroke) on/off

-Not interpolate(soft stroke) value

-Not Smoothing value

:)

(Zb/MB store those per brushes)

But what users really wants is way to SAVE that preset and load it in the interface as an Icon and a custom name.(its much easier for sharing too)

It is very old MB 1.0, Zb 2.0 features. It very important for sculptors.

All sculptors make themselves specific brushes

(ex: Spiraloid could save to file his Cloth and Wrinkle brushes and load them like if they were a complete tool and assign them to the interface).

In fact 70% of Zb brushes are presets based on a dozen Basic brushes.

But they all have different names for specific purposes like Stone brush,or Wood brush ect...

+1.....I couldn't agree more! An easy way to create and recall brush presets is very much needed. :good:

• Advanced Member

I just wrote this in my ideas thread before reading this, slightly more advanced than just brush settings -

http://www.3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=6722&view=findpost&p=52493

it needs to be done as soon as possible in my opinion, i have no idea why 3DC doesn't already have a decent preset system for voxel mode in place as it is badly needed. If there was one i will probably make my own library just like i have for brushes and merge objects etc. We could share presets on the forum also just like brushes but currently there is not much point for voxel presets, for paint mode it seems ok though but it could still be much better.

Updates to the preset system would be really amazing though, i could see it being a big part of things in the future also if it was done well and maybe there could even be a default library.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Latest from Andrew... Instancing!

Support of instancing coming soon! It opens possibility to use one volume multiple times in scene without additional memory consumption.
For example you may do several bricks and made building of them and scene will be still very light and only initial bricks will take memory.
In so way you may manage really huge scenes if they can be decomposed into less count of basic elements.
Scene in viewport will also be rendered faster because of much less video memory consumption.
It is extremely helpful for architecture, hardsurface modeling, sometimes - for organic (scales, teeth).