3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Reputable Contributor

Updated to 3.5.21 [beta] Win version uploaded, Mac and Linux expecetd soon.

- Important step forward! I made Boolean cutting the surface with E panel rectangle/lasso/ellipse/ I finally achieved very good stability and speed in boolean cut with very many sequential booleans - http://bit.ly/llo2IB

- Auto Scale in UV room will work correctly with multiple UV islands that cover each other.

- Longstanding & longwaited cavity painting problem resolved -http://bit.ly/jQws8X

- Displacement export issue fixed - http://bit.ly/kFnQ3G

- Fixed non-quad maps padding problem for PSD export -http://bit.ly/jezxLQ

- Objects/Matrials panels problem resolved - http://bit.ly/lxpFgv

- Transform gizmo in retopo tool got "To local space" button to orient gizmo according to main axis of selected elements. It orients gizmo really smartly according to selected elements.

- Image along spline problem solved - http://bit.ly/jsbl9X

- Palette window problem solved - http://bit.ly/jFKQAI

- Resolved hide issue - http://bit.ly/li2vmX

- Solved problem of possible incompatibility of 3B files between platforms when voxel curves are used.

!!! LiveClay updated only a bit, triangulation quality improved, but all very last changes are not included, they are too raw.

Thanks for the update, Andrew. Much appreciated. :good:

I also feel it's far more critical (than enhanced Sculpting capabilities) to get true ambient occlusion baking, whether merging to or baking from, the Paint room. This has been requested for a long time. The occlusion baking from the Retopo Room leaves a lot to be desired, and has almost no options whatsoever. The painting toolset is top notch and needs real ambient occlusion to make it (more) complete.

More on this i think what Merge Voxels Retopo Per-Pixel-Painting is called Baked Occlusion, is in fact Curvatures/Cavity and not really Occlusion. Image attached.

Occ is proximity to other mesh, while curvatures is the angle made with neighbour mesh.

Both give 2 different levels of informations and it's nice to be able to bake one and the other.

The use of 3D-Coat of Curvatures with "Modulate 2x" is very interesting since it perserves the black and white points and the grey is replaced with color.

While Ambient Occlusion would be blended normally with "Multiply", darkening the occluded areas.

Cheers

post-1389-0-83423200-1309292147_thumb.pn

I'd still really like to see an ambient occlusion that's based on the math of how far apart things are from each other, not shining lights on them. The problem with shining lights is that it doesn't work on an enclosed area like the inside of a building, since the lights only see the outside of the object.

A fine example is the LW plugin called SG_AmbOcc:

http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/AmbOcc/

I'd still really like to see an ambient occlusion that's based on the math of how far apart things are from each other, not shining lights on them. The problem with shining lights is that it doesn't work on an enclosed area like the inside of a building, since the lights only see the outside of the object.

A fine example is the LW plugin called SG_AmbOcc:

http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/AmbOcc/

SG_AmbOcc is exaclty the node I used in my previous post. Dpkit Curvatures is the other one.

• Advanced Member
The use of 3D-Coat of Curvatures with "Modulate 2x" is very interesting since it perserves the black and white points and the grey is replaced with color.

While Ambient Occlusion would be blended normally with "Multiply", darkening the occluded areas.

Of course, separated maps are needed here. Every decent render engine can handle them better (blender BI or cycles via nodes for instance)

• Advanced Member

I believe in 3dc and I pray for the 64 bit mac build. To be able to paint textures. I'm still using the 32 bit for this.

(from the movie "battle of britain" - Laurence Olivier- So, you believe in radars and pray to god? Quite the opposite, I believe in god and pray for the radars. Sorry for my english :)

• Advanced Member

When LMB on LiveClay under Voxels panel then trying to brush on a standard voxel sphere 3d-Coat-V35-21A-CUDA64 crashes.

This appears to happen in Voxel mode , Surface mode seems to work ok.

Same again.

• Reputable Contributor

When LMB on LiveClay under Voxels panel then trying to brush on a standard voxel sphere 3d-Coat-V35-21A-CUDA64 crashes.

This appears to happen in Voxel mode , Surface mode seems to work ok.

Same again.

I wasn't even aware that LiveClay worked in Voxel mode yet. I thought that tool was there by mistake (too early).

• Contributor

It crashed 3.5.20 and 3.5.21 x32 with voxel liveclay so no news here. But the crashes mentioned earlier in x64 are gone, so thanks Andrew !

I wasn't even aware that LiveClay worked in Voxel mode yet. I thought that tool was there by mistake (too early).

Not it never worked, it's obviously not IN yet :)

I can't wait for reduction tool, it's the only thing missing to start making zbrush like quality meshes :)

• Reputable Contributor

It crashed 3.5.20 and 3.5.21 x32 with voxel liveclay so no news here. But the crashes mentioned earlier in x64 are gone, so thanks Andrew !

Not it never worked, it's obviously not IN yet :)

I can't wait for reduction tool, it's the only thing missing to start making zbrush like quality meshes :)

If it's not intended to work just yet, why is it accessible in Volume mode, in the first place?

• Contributor

If it's not intended to work just yet, why is it accessible in Volume mode, in the first place?

Why is there sliders/drop down list on option bar ? rolleyes.gif You have to activate "beta tools" to see it so let's say it's raul and andrew sandbox for liveclay and you do not have to expect everything to be connected yet and they probably do not want to bother with actvating/deactivating those things for public compilation. At least that's what I understand :) it's an "insider preview".

The CutOff tool in surface mode absolutely blew me away! Awesome work! The only thing is the detail is lost when merging to voxels. It would be really helpful if the voxels had some type of octree structure or something so that there could be detail where it's needed. I also can't wait if there is some type of reduction brush like there is in sculptris. Anyway I mostly wanted to say great work.

CutOff is very cool, I notice though that some of the shapes do not get the sharp edges that the rectangle does. I made a little video, rectangles gets sharp edges, but not polygon (irregular area) or lasso (drawn contour).

• Reputable Contributor

Why is there sliders/drop down list on option bar ? rolleyes.gif You have to activate "beta tools" to see it so let's say it's raul and andrew sandbox for liveclay and you do not have to expect everything to be connected yet and they probably do not want to bother with actvating/deactivating those things for public compilation. At least that's what I understand :) it's an "insider preview".

So that means everyone's complaining about a feature being broke...that isn't yet a feature. That's what I suspected, just wasn't sure if I was missing a missing tool that just appears at first glance...not to be missing. :pardon::D

• Contributor

So that means everyone's complaining about a feature being broke...that isn't yet a feature. That's what I suspected, just wasn't sure if I was missing a missing tool that just appears at first glance...not to be missing. :pardon::D

yahoo.gif

There's already tons of bugs in liveclay I could report but won't because we all know it's so fresh most will probably be fixed when liveclay implementation progresses and that would just slow down Andrew and Raul at this point. .

yahoo.gif

There's already tons of bugs in liveclay I could report but won't because we all know it's so fresh most will probably be fixed when liveclay implementation progresses and that would just slow down Andrew and Raul at this point. .

But what if you've found bugs that they don't know about?

• Contributor

But what if you've found bugs that they don't know about?

I'm so excited by the possibiities of liveclay I'm not planning to keep the bug in the open, when I feel they're bugs not actual "holes" in the code I'll make reports.

You've to remember they're almost "typing code as we look at it", that's so nice to share the progress at such an early state it would make no sense to keep nagging them at this point. It's a bit like telling an author who's writing his book he forgot to put the page numbers at the bottom of his manuscript...

• Contributor

Btw, thank you Andrew for the nice change when getting out of surface mode and asking for aimed voxel polycount, it help avoiding losing too much detail when the vox density is MUCH lower than surface one :)

That'll help a lot till voxel subcells.

I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone (yes, everyone), that this feature (LC) is still in testing. It's not going to function fully as you expect. Please keep reports coming in, we need them to squash bugs, make it function as you expect, and, improve existing functions/features. Thanks. :)

Also note: That LC and other new features will break existing functions/features. Please report any bugs!

• Advanced Member

O.K. found the problem with version 21 Linux not starting, it is due to my preset layout, in the paint room I have the color picker window docked to the side, the color picker is broken in 21 so if you try to open the color picker window 3dcoat locks up, you can open the color pallet though.

So Andrew, this is a bug, trying to open the color picker crashes 3dcoat v21 Linux.

T.