3DCoat Forums

Blender Applink

haikalle

• Applink Developer

Sorry for very late reply. I checked the latest blender version. And there is still some issues to fully support it. Maybe 3 months ago I did a test version where you

were able to bring vertex color from 3d-coat into blender. It was a nasty code hack. If I found that I will send it to you 3DArtist for testing. but I don't add it into official version, at least not yet..

• Reputable Contributor

Haikalle, question?

Using the attribute node with an imported ply model from 3DCoat you can render your vertex painting but of course this is not through the applink. Is there a way to have the applink do this for you...

Ply format

attribute node connected to the diffuse shader

object data panel /vertex colors/Col (the name that shows up in the name tab when you import a ply model)

Copy or type Col in the attribute's box

Now your vertex painting will render in Cycles...

I am speaking as complete newbie in this area, as I have not used the applink...

• Advanced Member
It seems to be broken in 2.63 but it works in 2.62.

Yeah, I know.

As obj needs some more love. It still doesn't imports - exports ngons. (converts them to tris)

Probably, there isn't any dev to have a look on these "minor" limitations, these days.

• 2 months later...

Hi all

Im using Blender 2.63.27

IMPORT STEP

I sculpt a voxel, retopo for PPP, painting it and adding normals maps.

Then Export to blender, obj saved.

At Blender AppLink updated reference mesh.

The object is HUGE.

-------------------

EXPORT STEP

I make a Low Poly at Blender, export .obj

Retopo room, File import retopo mesh

The object is TINY.

Why ?

Ty in advance.

-------

note:

I changed at 3DC Define measurement units but obj size remains the same.

• Advanced Member

I have a question regarding cycles support:

I experienced some difficulties with using UV-textures generated in 3DCoat, when i'm using Cycles to render.

What i did:

Mesh in Blender --> transfer to 3DC PPP Mode--> painted mesh in 3DC--> opened in original App--> clicked update

So with Blender Internal its all ok, UV are unwrapped and texture is applied.

But with Cycles it doesn't work this way, Texture isnt applied automatically.

You can even see this in nodes-editor, there are no nodes created automatically for UV-Image Textures, even not for materials. So what i did as workaround.

After procedure above, I created a blank material for Mesh (only in this case a node would be created, too), then i had to apply manually the texture maps which i created with 3DC (managed this trough exporting as obj additionally).

Shouldnt it be applied all automatically, like with Blender Internal?

PS: and how can i export the material/shaders from blender to 3DC? I thought maybe trough Microvertex painting, but that was wrong. Do i have to bake them first into UV-textures in blender?

• Advanced Member

cycles is a modern render engine. Based on a wonderful nodal UI. Unlimited possibilities there.

For instance, you may paint a map/layer in 3dcoat and use it as a factor under nodal system.

Mixing in cycles is a much superior method than Ps like layers.

It's Impossible for 3dcoat to comunicate with such a system.

Learn cycles and import all tex maps-layers from 3dcoat. The only limit is our imagination.

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, the applink works with the blender internal renderer but not cycles. Really it is just a couple of extra steps. Export your texture under the texture menu in the paintroom. Now as you update your painted texture or displacement map in 3DCoat's paint room export the maps not through the file/ export but through the texture menu and just reload them in the image texture node. Now your cycles texture maps will be updated.

I very seldon use the file/ export to export my textures, choosing rather to export them through the Texture menu... I get to name the texture maps myself this way and associate them to the model in the rendering application of my choice. I only export my obj file using the file/export option but no maps...

Maybe one day the applink will support cycles though I not sure what you what coding you would have to do.

Also no normal maps for cycles yet... bump and displacement yes. True displacement takes a couple of modifiers to set up for it to work in cycles though...

1. Export your model from the paint room, no maps

2. load the model into Blender.

3. Export your maps through the texture menu in the paintroom

4. set up your image texture nodes for cycles choosing said texture files.

5. do more work on your textures in 3DCoat.

6. Export them out again using the textures menu.(overwriting them)

7. reload the textures using the image texture node.

5 through 7 are the only extra steps you have to take once it is all set-up...

The above is the way I do it for Blender Cycles so I can have 3DCoat open plus Blender and work on my textures for cycles at the same time.

Michalis knows a number of ways when working with Cycles as his work shows it very well... good to listen to him...

• Advanced Member
Yes, the applink works with the blender internal renderer but not cycles. Really it is just a couple of extra steps. Export your texture under the texture menu in the paintroom. Now as you update your painted texture or displacement map in 3DCoat's paint room export the maps not through the file/ export but through the texture menu and just reload them in the image texture node. Now your cycles texture maps will be updated. I very seldon use the file/ export to export my textures, choosing rather to export them through the Texture menu... I get to name the texture maps myself this way and associate them to the model in the rendering application of my choice. I only export my obj file using the file/export option but no maps... Maybe one day the applink will support cycles though I not sure what you what coding you would have to do. Also no normal maps for cycles yet... bump and displacement yes. True displacement takes a couple of modifiers to set up for it to work in cycles though... 1. Export your model from the paint room, no maps 2. load the model into Blender. 3. Export your maps through the texture menu in the paintroom 4. set up your image texture nodes for cycles choosing said texture files. 5. do more work on your textures in 3DCoat. 6. Export them out again using the textures menu.(overwriting them) 7. reload the textures using the image texture node. 5 through 7 are the only extra steps you have to take once it is all set-up... The above is the way I do it for Blender Cycles so I can have 3DCoat open plus Blender and work on my textures for cycles at the same time. Michalis knows a number of ways when working with Cycles as his work shows it very well... good to listen to him...

thanks digman,

thats maybe more streamline workflow, than i had with my workaround.

But i think that i can use the applink-procedure (because ive modeled originally in blender) to the point, where i have to set up the image-texture node manually , and then export the maps from 3DC via paint-room-export like you suggested and apply them in cycles node (wasnt aware of the exporting function for maps only, did obj export because of the linked maps :D).

thanks again

• Advanced Member
thanks digman, thats maybe more streamline workflow, than i had with my workaround. But i think that i can use the applink-procedure (because ive modeled originally in blender) to the point, where i have to set up the image-texture node manually , and then export the maps from 3DC via paint-room-export like you suggested and apply them in cycles node (wasnt aware of the exporting function for maps only, did obj export because of the linked maps :D). thanks again

actually it only works randomly with applink procedure. Maybe sometimes the unwrapped UVs are not applied or saved?

But your way with exporting model and load it in manually does work every time, but i would use the export to Blender (obj) format instead, and not the seperate texture export, because with that blender export function you can always overwrite all maps, like specuar, diffuse etc. at one time. (didnt find such function on the seperate texture export function)

• 3 months later...

Hi Haikalle

Using Blender 2.64.9

Blender Render

Model have more than 1 material

When i transfer to 3DC take only 1 material

Textures used are not exported

If i save the same model like .obj

And load it in 3DC

All the Material used are listed

ty

im doing a basic cube

assign 1 material by face... 6 faces = 6 materials

Scene > 3DCoat Applink > transfer

then at Paint Room

Windows > Popups > Object Materials (Surfaces)

Only one material listed: default

Do the same test exporting the obj, importing at 3dc

All materials listed

warning

Materials are named like UVset_name... is a bug

ty for your time :)

If any1 need this...

Moving your assets around in a 3DCoat <> Blender Pipeline

This tutorial was recorded by Daniel Yarmak whom is an invaluable member of the Pilgway team! Thank you Daniel for recording this video.

In this video Daniel covers:

- Exporting model from Blender

- Importing model in 3D-Coat

- Exporting textures from 3D-Coat

- Applying created textures in Blender

Hello

Journeymen . Your Applink i very cool and i use it every time when i use 3dCoat.

I have a feature request: can you add a checkbox "apply modifiers" of "apply mirror modifier"? The problem is that i oftenly have models with a mirror modifier in blender. But when i export it to 3dCoat i have only a half of a model.

Thank you.

• Applink Developer

Carlosa: Thanks. Now I know what you mean and yes it is a bug for sure. I will check this.

Mifth: I have to think how we could add this request. The purpose of applink is to be very easy to use. extra options will confuse many users. But I think at some

point I will do other version for users like you who wants more options for applink.

Carlosa: Thanks. Now I know what you mean and yes it is a bug for sure. I will check this.

Mifth: I have to think how we could add this request. The purpose of applink is to be very easy to use. extra options will confuse many users. But I think at some

point I will do other version for users like you who wants more options for applink.

The applink cannot be just two buttons (Export/Import). We really need different options to use it faster and smarter.

I think to add one checkbox is not so complicated. :)

Just a checkbox "Apply Mirror Modifier" or "Apply All Modifiers".

Like this in python: bpy.ops.object.modifier_apply(data, "modifier name")

Anyway thanks.

• 1 month later...

Hi haikalle,

I've been using the addon for a little while, and it suddenly stopped working correctly when trying to update objects in Blender from the paint room in 3DC. It was removing the .mtl file before reading it or something, so it would never update the materials and textures.

I recently updated svn and recompiled, I wonder if this was a source of the problem? I'm using rev 54297 now. It was working fine before that...

Anyway, I had to comment out the line in the addon about removing the .mtl file, and now it's stopped removing that, but what kind of issues will that cause for me in the long run, do you imagine? What was the purpose of removing the .mtl file when using "Update" in Blender?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Applink Developer

Hi ohsnapitsjoel! And sorry that I didnt replied ealier. Thanks for reporting that applink stopped working. I have to check what has changed in blender.

The purpose of removing .mtl files is that I coded my own system how to bring textures into blender. If I keep .mtl file then blender is using that file and bring

the textures and it will conflict with my code.

What comes about coding blender applink. The status is that I try to keep this applink that it works but right now I don't have time to write any big updates into it.

But I will update the applink that it works with the latest blender version.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

Any chance of getting the Blender applink working for Blender 2.66x release? It's a great blender release, the only thing I'm missing is being able to go back and forth with 3DC. I know you're busy, but it would be great to have it working if it doesn't take to much time.

Thanks Haikalle.

-G

• Advanced Member

It loads up in 3D Coat now, but I can't get it to come back into Blender when I press the update button. I'm having a bit of trouble getting things back into Blender. I might just be using the applink incorrectly though. Do I have to do something more than press Update in Blender to load in my changes? I'll have to check more thoroughly later on.

Thanks again!

-G

• Applink Developer

two things to check gbball

1) After you have done your painting in 3d-coat did you click "File->Open in orginal app"

2) Did you change "vieport shading -> texture" in blender.

After these steps you should see your textures in blender too.

• Advanced Member

Getting this error? On linux using 2.66a.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/home/ebitz/Programs/blender-2.66a-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.66/scripts/addons/io_coat3D/coat.py", line 235, in invoke

keep_vertex_order = True,axis_forward='X',axis_up='Y')

File "/home/ebitz/Programs/blender-2.66a-linux-glibc211-x86_64/2.66/scripts/modules/bpy/ops.py", line 188, in __call__

ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)

TypeError: Converting py args to operator properties: : keyword "use_apply_modifiers" unrecognized

• Carlosan changed the title to Blender 2.83 Applink