3DCoat Forums

• Contributor
Hi!

I just installed the new alpha 85 and it got me to demo mode, no more trial! Hasn't been the trial restarted? I was testing happily the alphas so far, and now that I was hoping to use the direct paint feature - that my copy of 3db 2 does not have - for an actual work while I wait for the official 3.0 release , I can't! Any sugestions?! Thanks!

I don't know, but maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling.Don't know what else to say.

• Advanced Member
Maybe Andrew could cook up something like a shift-v for picking depth? I smell a feature request- but wouldn't be surprised to learn that the ability to use an eye-dropper to select depth wasn't already requested...might as well add selectable sample size averaging in there too!

I like this idea too, depth sampling would be great. I can gladly wait for v4 for it though if we can get other things cleared up instead. Not bashing ideas, just drooling over the thought of what a bug-free 3dc v3 would be like. :yahoo:

Updated to V86 (Win & OSX)

Change log (slightly more detailed then usually)

May 22

1) Checkers "In perspective", "In ortho" was inserted in navi panel to improve navigation customization

2) Integration with PS improved - no more duplicated layers, layers will be arranged in the same order as in PS, obsolete layers will be deleted.

3) Palette "space" circle - 64 colors there now

4) Redo in Voxel tools

5) Fixed long standing bug - artifacts in flattern tool. Now work of surface tool has become really stable.

6) Essential improvements in Flatten and scrape tools at the edges of the model

7) Light and grey interface themes

May 23

1) Fill and Increase tool are now dependent on Deep degree, not on smooth degree

2) Cylinder-like gizmos in Primitive tools fixed

3) Intro window

4) GL pen shader fixed (no more flipped pen preview in GL mode)

May 25

1) GL snake crash fixed in panorama view

2) Correct rectangles view on GL mode (now interface looks identically in DX and GL, so OSX version looks more accurately)

3) Seamless painting across UV-window restored in DP mode

5) Strange blue texture look in UV paint mode in GL version fixed

6) Polen encoding implemented (Central europe encoding)

7) Pick depth with V key (look this option in Pick tool)

• Advanced Member

Firstly let me be clear im not trying to over rule anyone its just hard to understand how this could work. the idea sounds awesome.

It is simple,just pick the gray value,because the hightmap use gray value of color to raise or low the mesh.

A heightmap isnt used though, If that were so you could only displace vertices along their original normals, which wouldn't give you much control at all. Im pretty sure you need a to store a vector value to achieve this sort of displacement. The way i understand it (and i could be wrong) is the displacement values would be very specific to what the base mesh was at the start. Relative values defining the changes in XYZ made in comparison to the original surface

You could make a flat plane on the side of the sphere for example. while all the verts were on the same plane the displacement that got them there would be very very different and if you started sampling that and transfering it onto other verts the result would be plain weird. you'd need to give it some sort of point of reference for comparison i guess.

Andrew please prove me wrong, this has really piqued my interest :D

Firstly let me be clear im not trying to over rule anyone its just hard to understand how this could work. the idea sounds awesome.

A heightmap isnt used though, If that were so you could only displace vertices along their original normals, which wouldn't give you much control at all. Im pretty sure you need a to store a vector value to achieve this sort of displacement. The way i understand it (and i could be wrong) is the displacement values would be very specific to what the base mesh was at the start. Relative values defining the changes in XYZ made in comparison to the original surface

You could make a flat plane on the side of the sphere for example. while all the verts were on the same plane the displacement that got them there would be very very different and if you started sampling that and transfering it onto other verts the result would be plain weird. you'd need to give it some sort of point of reference for comparison i guess.

Andrew please prove me wrong, this has really piqued my interest :D

Making deep picker is more then easy. Even if exery vertex has XYZ, but deep=dotproduct(VertexDisplacement,Normal)

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

Hi, great suggestions here to help improve 3DCoat. I thought I'd add my suggestion to the mix! :)

I was working in sculpt mode in Alpha 86 (great improvement BTW) and I noticed the default UI had no Panels/Windows for the Brushes/Pens, Masks and Strips. I noticed this because I have been using the 2.17 version and they are there by default.

Now I understand they can clutter up the workspace and that's probably why it was decided to remove them, but to manually load them I had to load the Pens, Masks and strips by going to (Menu > Popups > Masks) etc. manually.

Sure you can save your own UI layout, but it would speed up your workflow and be more intuitive if you could instantly see and use the Pens, Masks and Strips right away in the default UI?

Please see the images below for more explanation.

post-920-1243280868_thumb.jpg

post-920-1243280878_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the new depth picker. I was worried this would be difficult to add, and as usual Andrew delivers with style.

I think Paint Guy's right about the lack of palettes outside the paint room. I noticed this while using the sculpt tools last night. Sure you can't change layers in sculpt, but hiding/locking of sub-objects and materials still works, so I loaded them up while I worked. For regular users this is not a problem, but it might be helpful if some more palettes were added to the default state for the vox and sculpt rooms to help new users get up to speed. I really like the spacebar pop-up added with the new UI, maybe Andrew could come up with something similar for pens, strips, masks, etc (maybe a user-defined mix? like the presets panel)

A shaders palette that we can use in vox mode would be awesome too if it's not too difficult to add; such a fundamental vox feature shouldn't be hidden in a rmb menu imo and a thumbnail preview would really help.

I just installed the update and it looks really good so far. I like the way the intro window works, but I wonder about a couple of things. First, all that text in the main 3 buttons, It's a good description, but after I've reads it 2 or 3 times there's no longer any reason for it to be there and it just becomes an eyesore. I wondered about just making it all a tool tip, but it might also look strange to just have a one word button there. Unfortunately it's hard to describe these three things as an icon. Perhaps an option to hide the descriptions. The second things is that there are nice preset objects to choose from on that window, but no way to load your own starting object listed there. Yes you can go to the File menu, but I can imagine someone looking all over that intro window saying "I don't want one of these objects I want my own!" and getting very frustrated.

• Advanced Member
Thanks for the new depth picker. I was worried this would be difficult to add, and as usual Andrew delivers with style.

I think Paint Guy's right about the lack of palettes outside the paint room. I noticed this while using the sculpt tools last night. Sure you can't change layers in sculpt, but hiding/locking of sub-objects and materials still works, so I loaded them up while I worked. For regular users this is not a problem, but it might be helpful if some more palettes were added to the default state for the vox and sculpt rooms to help new users get up to speed. I really like the spacebar pop-up added with the new UI, maybe Andrew could come up with something similar for pens, strips, masks, etc (maybe a user-defined mix? like the presets panel)

A shaders palette that we can use in vox mode would be awesome too if it's not too difficult to add; such a fundamental vox feature shouldn't be hidden in a rmb menu imo and a thumbnail preview would really help.

I'm not sure adding buttons to the top row is the right answer, but as I was working I thought, boy wouldn't it be great and a whole lot quicker if I was able to visually see the Brushes or Pens Button and the Mask and Strip button, rather than having to search for them in a menu somewhere.

When I am sculpting I find I am hiding and showing objects quite frequently. I am also hiding and showing objects a lot when I am painting them so I think adding a button for the "Layers" and one for "Colors" too! would also be very helpful as I've described in my image and I would like to see it added to the Paint window as-well-as the Sculpt window if possible.

post-920-1243292461_thumb.jpg

post-920-1243295787_thumb.jpg

• Advanced Member
There is "Max" in depth blend modes. It is what you need.

No,Andrew,it is't what I exactly want :rolleyes: ,when I test the image-based sculpt for terra make,first I sculpt a mountain,then I want to make a plane of the mountainside.I want to use "V" to pick a depth value of the half-way of the mountain,the plane want to reduce the higher and raises the lower,but I can't do that!

I want to make a plane on the half way of a rough mountain,How can I do that?

• Advanced Member
No,Andrew,it is't what I exactly want :rolleyes: ,when I test the image-based sculpt for terra make,first I sculpt a mountain,then I want to make a plane of the mountainside.I want to use "V" to pick a depth value of the half-way of the mountain,the plane want to reduce the higher and raises the lower,but I can't do that!

I want to make a plane on the half way of a rough mountain,How can I do that?

I know it's not an answer for painting, but with the vox sculpting you could make a plateau on a mountain easily. You could also make overhangs and caves, which you can't do with the paint tools.

• Advanced Member

Great update Andrew!

3) Intro window

I like the intro window idea, but it is not very useful to me right now, but could be.

If 3DC could take a snapshot of the current project when it is saved and use those thumbnails in the intro window to show the last 5 or so projects in each of the categorys (voxel, per pixel, microvertex). or allow the objects listed to be customized (ie voxel male base, female base, animal base, etc)

or maybe some of both :D

One this i noticed with RC86 is that all the top menus do not appear until i switch to voxel mode.

• Contributor

]

I STILL can not get the Cuda version to work.

When trying to open it asks for---cudart.dll

Searching nVidia gets no joy?

Where is it, please, and, what do I do with it when I have it--where to place it etc?

Brian

• Contributor
Download an install the Cuda toolkit, there's a link in the first post. Assuming of course, that you have a compatible video card.

My son--my Guru and who builds /supplies me with my lovely computer, said he had only not installed the SDK!

BUT--he had not installed the Toolkit either--It made a difference!''

Thanks mate

Brian

• Advanced Member
Making deep picker is more then easy. Even if exery vertex has XYZ, but deep= dotproduct(VertexDisplacement,Normal)

Thanks Andrew ;) I'm slowly learning this stuff myself, slowly being the operative word

• Advanced Member
Updated to V86 (Win & OSX)

2) Integration with PS improved - no more duplicated layers, layers will be arranged in the same order as in PS, obsolete layers will be deleted.

I'm over the moon about this. Just gave it a quick test and it worked and was so fast to load the layers back in 3dcoat. Excellent