3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
Cool! I love this "by the way feature". I changed the object (subdivided it essentially) and now all works much much faster and correctly. Object attached

Thanks Andrew, I had a look at this mesh and the texture editor works correctly now and painting on this mesh was so much faster. I prefer to use Per Pixel painting and didn't know that the mesh resolution affected speed. I will use your subdivided mesh from now on :)

I do miss having the lines on the original mesh to use as a guideline for the edges of the tiling texture but I can solve that with a simple extra layer on top with lines drawn where the texture tiles. Can you think of a better way to do this?

Also just noticed another BUG with Syncing layers with external editor and Multiple objects in a scene.

e.g. Scene with 2 objects - Head & Hair

1. Select 'Sync Layers with Ext. Editor' or Edit All Layers in Ext. Editor'

2. Selecting UV-set to export = hair

3. Making edits in Photoshop to Normal Map - Save

4. back in 3DC the Layers will be applied to the Head object instead of the Hair.

Was not able to reproduce this part. Tried to merge cube, then sphere, edit only sphere, save, applied to sphere only as expected...

Possibly your object can help to reproduce.

I do miss having the lines on the original mesh to use as a guideline for the edges of the tiling texture but I can solve that with a simple extra layer on top with lines drawn where the texture tiles. Can you think of a better way to do this?

I think texture is a good way. Other way - create mesh with very little but visible geometrical details on the edge of the tile.

• Advanced Member
Was not able to reproduce this part. Tried to merge cube, then sphere, edit only sphere, save, applied to sphere only as expected...

Possibly your object can help to reproduce.

Unfortunately I've signed an NDA for the project that this particular object falls under. If I can manage to reproduce with another object I'll be sure to send it to you.

Cheers again.

I dont know if this is a bug or something on my part. I imported a model, in the sculpt tab smoothed out the rough edges some, when into paint tab and you can see my wire mesh. Please find the images to illustrate what Im talking about.

1-6.jpg

2-4.jpg

• Advanced Member
Multiscreen is impossible right now, at least before release because of all interface is rendered. I can render only in one window, but this functionality will be extended in future, I know it is important.

Good to know. I won't bug you about it then, I'll just wait patiently. :)

• Advanced Member
Andrew posted RC86 5 days ago. Many (but not all) of the bugs you listed have already been reported in this thread and the Bugzz thread; some may have already been fixed. If they still exist in RC86 or 87 though please make sure to post it again... but before RC89 comes out would be great. :)

This software is updated so quickly I got lost :) I've so many 3DC installed .... uhffff...

------------------

@Andrew

What does exactly CUDA accelerate in 3DC ? I was asking but it seems no one knows for sure.Is it only Voxels ? Or other sutff like displacement and painting ? Im not interested in vox stuff but if CUDA would accelerate painting or displace stuff I may consider buying Nvidia card just for that.

So ??

This software is updated so quickly I got lost :) I've so many 3DC installed .... uhffff...

Why so many? I only have the most recent one installed I keep the current installer as well as the most recent one before that. So right now I only have 86 installed and the installers for 85 and 86. BTW I've noticed that Andrew keeps at least the last few versions on the server. Like right now you can download alpha 81 by just pasting the current URL in your address bar and changing the 86 number to 81.

@Andrew

What does exactly CUDA accelerate in 3DC ? I was asking but it seems no one knows for sure.Is it only Voxels ? Or other sutff like displacement and painting ? Im not interested in vox stuff but if CUDA would accelerate painting or displace stuff I may consider buying Nvidia card just for that.

So ??

Only voxels are accelerated.

Updated to V87 (excuse, only Win version)

Changes (detailed, all changes are posted frequently in twitter too)

- Improving and getting baking in retopo tool to work in all modes - voxels, DP, microverts

- Delete object/material/faces - getting to work

- Improving normalmap calculation in DP - leads to less seams insde UV islands

- New splash screen for V3

- Render improvments - better AO uniformness, no more black contour around object

- Incorrect Undo in Retopo strokes mode fixed

- I made possibility to edit tiled pictures. This feature will appear in invitation screen in DP section->plane. Thanks to ghib for cool idea!

- fixed suspending 3DC while opening file that does not exist (from recent for example)

- I have made "Snap to low-poly vertices" item in View menu

- Fixed - undo in Line mode for E panel in DP

- Edit all layers /projection in ext editor will check now if layer name contains "normalmap" and if so, assign corresponding colorop to layer

- Enter/exit transform tool in painting mode fixed (there was wrong pen setting on exit)

- Fixed: direct painting now works correctly after exit out of usual sculpt mode (there was problems on newely sculpted areas in dp)

- Fixed: Chinese font pattern appeared in Render room after checking View->Show displaced mesh

- Fixed: duplicated tabs in tool parameters window.

- I made common selected button style for tool parameter panel and for left tool selection panel (it was far not so quck to do as I expected)

• Advanced Member
- Edit all layers /projection in ext editor will check now if layer name contains "normalmap" and if so, assign corresponding colorop to layer

Exporting to photoshop using 'Edit All Layers in Ext. Editor' result in the Normal Map layer being 25% Opacity. Was this intentional. *it imports back into 3DC fine*

- Enter/exit transform tool in painting mode fixed (there was wrong pen setting on exit)

This fixed the problem of reverting back to correct Pen pressure Mouse settings, but it happens too early (Always after a selection is made)

I'd expect it to revert back to previous setting only after you exit the Transform/Copy tool.

Thanks

• Advanced Member
Updated to V87 (excuse, only Win version)

- I made common selected button style for tool parameter panel and for left tool selection panel (it was far not so quck to do as I expected)

Not sure what this means, but are there any new palettes in the Sculpting work area?

Also this looks interesting, I am on a mac and ver. 86 doesn't have this. What's this shiny thing? (see image) Thanks :)

post-920-1243537175_thumb.jpg

• Applink Developer

the latest version works like a dream. Working together with Dp and voxel object open so many doors to create your models..

I have still a little bit hard to create the specularity I want in render tab. It seems that When you render DP object in render mode it creates an extra specularity map( according the light source) and adds that to your own map. If you come to Finland some day just let me know that I can put a red carpet ready!

• Advanced Member

Thank you Andrew for all of the improvement and bug-fixing in the latest alpha!

There are two issues I found when playing around with it.

Alpha 87 XP 32bit

1. If you import an object for DP or microvertex painting, it will affect brush landing when switching to voxel room.

2. Brush strokes lag with hard drive accessing In DP or Microvertex Painting mode especially on my laptop.

Feature request related to the 2nd issue above:

Is it possible to let us choose where to put the temp folder?

I'd like to put it in my ramdisk if possible, should be faster.

Regards,

akira.

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the latest update, nice improvements you did to it.

One thing i noticed was this..

3dcglproblem.jpg

It happend when i used the carve brush set to inverted (carve brush never carves into the voxelmesh unless you activate invert tool) and then i clicked on softstroke and i got this weird result.

/ Magnus

Not sure what this means, but are there any new palettes in the Sculpting work area?

Also this looks interesting, I am on a mac and ver. 86 doesn't have this. What's this shiny thing? (see image) Thanks :)

post-920-1243537175_thumb.jpg

The tab in the corner has nothing to do with 3DC. It's a vista thing that I cant seem to get rid of.

If you look at the first pic, I imported the model without smoothing. It gave me hard edges, so I took it into sculpt and used the smooth brush to soften the hard edges around the chest area.

I then took the model in to the paint panel and if you look at the chest you can see the wire "protruding" from the mesh. Its a cool effect but not desired.

That is Vista's Tablet PC Input Panel. If you click it it should pop out to let you hand write text. I found it annoying so I disabled it. Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features, click Turn Windows features on or off, then uncheck Tablet PC Optional Components. If you have annoying little circles that appear when you tap with the pen go into the Control Panel > Pen and Input Devices, then uncheck all of the boxes on the Pointer Options and Flicks tabs.

• Contributor

Oh cool, thanks Jokermax, i was trying to do it with spacebar menu. (i can't associate clay, it always select the clay surface tool nto voxel clay.

Am i the only one who got awfuly slow strokes with surface tools in rc87 ? < restarted computer, seems ok now.

I'm on Mac so maybe this is already in v87 but it'd be nice for there to be some sort of indication as to which direction the camera is looking when using hot keys to align it: front, back, left, right, top, bottom.