3DCoat Forums

V4.1 BETA (experimental 4.1.17D)

Hi, also, after a scan code night where I have spot some issues I have started trying my own medicine too:

http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10644

No issues so far, of course, the model still is low poly so does not stress 3Dcoat, will keep adding stuffs.... Is not as good as your models but I'm having fun like a child with a new toy.

I had a use for the decompose tool today,but it took a while to get it to work for me! It only worked when I used the rectangular cut off but not the multiple points cutoff.And am I correct in saying it is not called decompose anymore?And not for voxels? Great tool ^_^

Decompose works only in surface mode. Should be no difference how have you separated in parts. Could be good to show screen of problem.

• Contributor

I just tried decompose on a 3 millions tris mesh with 10 pieces, either it takes forever to walk through the geo to find boundaries or it simply froze. I wouldn't know I force quitted the app after 5 minutes of computation.

Wouldn't it be faster with a simple mask "part filling" tool manualy telling what to separate from the rest ?

And I still don't understand how you don't encounter the bugs I have.

Here's said model brought from zbrush, first stroke: mud 2, second smoothing. This is the first thing I did after merging into scene (without voxelizing) ! Everything brand new first time running beta 5 (dx64 cuda) on win 8.

two%20strokes.gif

Maybe I can manage to send the file but it's 80mb already after just importing

I reduced the scene to the head only and doing the same thing crashed the app this time, the scene is now 25mb I'll send it via big file upload. on my dropbox because the uploader keeps restarting from 0...

Uploaded file

• Advanced Member

Sorry Andrew, Operator error this end :( ,I didnt spot it left the original object intact! I think I was expecting the original to be deleted, leaving the two new layers!

( But I dont know why it appeared to work with the rectangular cut off and not the multipoint,Im confused...and tired......)

• Contributor

And now the bug I can't reproduce. That's something that always made me go mad... You do it 10 times in a row, wait a few minutes, get back to the app, and it works... no reason :x

If I didn't capture it the first time you wouldn't believe me... again.

This is also why some user say it's stable enough and ask for new features... this software is great but SOOO unpredictable.

Sometimes I just wished 3dc was logging everything to find the reason those bugs exist, even if it means clearing out logs once in a while to avoid cluttering... At least this way we would have real infos on the bugs, not just some "I did that and BAM and then I retried and it was all gone"....

• Advanced Member

Hello, Tser! Please specify is this something new to BETA5? Do the previous builds of 3D-Coat have such negative effect on other OpenGL apps?

Hi There Sergyi

All the later versions of 3DCoat act the same, I have just updated my video driver (NVidia) from 290.03 to 304.64 and so far so good after an hour of testing, I will let you know.

T.

• Advanced Member

Hi guys,

I just did a whole bunch of surface hiding (with the SurfHide brush) I then went to Voxels | Unhide All and got this:

135241579427.jpg

EDIT: Also, I've updated the WIP in my sketchbook. So please feel free to crit the hell out of it, as I'm ready to start adding detail.

Edited by wave of light

Just been decomposing the eyes from the included bust.They would not separate unless I did a "fake" cut off operation. i.e. draw a cut rectangle in the gap between them ,then it worked fine.This is not a gripe! Just info that might be useful to people.

eyes decompose correctly...perhaps are you using wrong the tool? I've taken this screenshot of the default bust eyes decomposed, make sure you hide or delete original eyes after the operation because it does not delete original compound object.

euye.png

• Advanced Member

Sergyi, I don't get the OGL application problems with the new Linux video driver (304.64), so that's a thing to remember, Linux video driver 290 causes problems with OGL applications.

On another note, I will not be beta testing the Linux version for quite a while as I have just started on a large job which will keep me occupied for quite some time, the sad thing is that I will be using ZBrush 4R4 P2 because I cannot rely on 3DCoat, its quite ironic that ZB is a 32bit Windows application which runs better and more reliable in Linux under wine than Linux native 64bit 3DCoat.

T.

• Reputable Contributor

I just got back in town and ran the new Linux 64 bit non-cuda beta 4.00.beta5.

My preset brushes are again messed up... I believe this a result of how new brushes or tools are added to LC, maybe an ID problem but no way for me too know for sure.

Beta 5 added two new tools under LC now a good number of my preset now are the wrong brush and settings. This happens to me as well when I create a new brush based off the General brush. I will post a Mantis report once I recover from the trip...

@Andrew and Raul. I'm glad you are doing some work more in a real world fashion. Remember a lot of us spend hours a day, every day with the program so we might find bugs that you will not come across at first. I know your time is tight, but keep dabbling at doing some art in a real world fashion. You already by doing this have come across a few bugs yourself...

I recommend using the rapid2 brush in conjunction with LC brushes. The rapid2 has been at times a major source of mesh tears and explosion. You might not get one, sometimes you do and sometimes not. This bug is really hard to pin down... but I know you guys will...

• Advanced Member

eyes decompose correctly...perhaps are you using wrong the tool? I've taken this screenshot of the default bust eyes decomposed, make sure you hide or delete original eyes after the operation because it does not delete original compound object.

euye.png

Thanks for looking Raul... Pretty sure I did everything correct...Surface Mode...clicked "Seperate Disconnected Peaces (sic)" Tried it on the ears also,no luck......But it works absolutely fine if I activate the cut off tool anyware on the screen,just a tiny little rectangle anyware will do it, very strange.

Windows Vista Ultimate,DX 64 Cuda Nvidia 9800GT. Like I say it is no big deal, just a tiny extra click.

The new non-tiling feature for materials in 4.00.beta5 is very much a welcome addition... Thank you....

I was going to say the same. This was a reason that I had to jump out to Photoshop when texturing my Jedi StarFighter model. Now I won't have to do that for decals.

I just got back in town and ran the new Linux 64 bit non-cuda beta 4.00.beta5.

My preset brushes are again messed up... I believe this a result of how new brushes or tools are added to LC, maybe an ID problem but no way for me too know for sure.

Beta 5 added two new tools under LC now a good number of my preset now are the wrong brush and settings. This happens to me as well when I create a new brush based off the General brush. I will post a Mantis report once I recover from the trip...

@Andrew and Raul. I'm glad you are doing some work more in a real world fashion. Remember a lot of us spend hours a day, every day with the program so we might find bugs that you will not come across at first. I know your time is tight, but keep dabbling at doing some art in a real world fashion. You already by doing this have come across a few bugs yourself...

I recommend using the rapid2 brush in conjunction with LC brushes. The rapid2 has been at times a major source of mesh tears and explosion. You might not get one, sometimes you do and sometimes not. This bug is really hard to pin down... but I know you guys will...

Ok, found the reason and fixed. You told exact reason. With next build presets will be restored.

• Like 1

Earlier today 3DC crashed and asked me to save the file before it did. So I just added a new number to the file name I had and saved. After restarting 3DC I went to load the file and noticed that instead of the file having .3B on the end it has .tempfile. When I try to load that it takes a long time and then my computer blue screens. My last auto save file is the same way. Tempfile and blue screen.

• Contributor

Earlier today 3DC crashed and asked me to save the file before it did. So I just added a new number to the file name I had and saved. After restarting 3DC I went to load the file and noticed that instead of the file having .3B on the end it has .tempfile. When I try to load that it takes a long time and then my computer blue screens. My last auto save file is the same way. Tempfile and blue screen.

Either the renaming of the temp file is not correctly added after a crash save or the save didn't work as expected and 3dcoat simply didn't rename it (but should have deleted it in that case, cause that could potentialy cause a new issue with regular save)