3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

This version has a significantly slower "fast and rough" brush compared to the last one.

Ive really been giving the "fast and rough" brush a severe testing in the previous release. It has the potential to be the perfect clay brush imho. On alpha 57 it was nearly realtime to work with; i got hardly any lag from the surface to voxels conversion and the strokes were practically realtime even at higher voxel resolutions and bigger brush sizes.

With the current release its alot slower to the point where its not really usable anymore for "sketching in volume". I have the old version still on my pc so trust me when i say im not making this up. Wether this has something to do with the fact that it now works correctly with symmetry which makes the brush more taxing on my system i do not know. I hope its a bug of some sort that causes this slowdown.

Im also curious wether this brush applies some of the suggestions i made here or wether this brush works according to a different principle you thought up. Because whatever you did it has a lot of great qualities that i really was hoping to see in the clay brush (the blending and the filling to name the most important ones).

I have a few additional suggestions to finish it up (because this brush has to be polished to perfection) but ill wait till the i know whats causing the speed issue.

Something else i noticed (which may be related to the slowdown) is that NONE of the shaders that use textures work for me (thats both DX and GL non CUDA). They all render a solid unlit material in the color of 3dcoats bg.

JW

PS

Additionally. I dont think the "surface clay" should be called clay. It acts as voxel extrude (which is a good thing). I think its better to rename it to "standard" brush. Its a simple no nonsense brush which works with alphas and all the pen settings. Dont you agree "standard" brush would be a better name? You could rename "rough and fast" to "clay" which is alot more appropriate (it actually feels alot like clay). ^_^

Aw man! I was just getting really into my model when 3DC crashed. It asked me to save my file, so I did (new increment), but now 3DC crashes when I try to load the file...

same problem i have.

i save all 10 minutes to a new file and hope one of them will work, i start 3dc the next time. ^^

• Advanced Member

Wow, the cloth option has huge potential! with some more fine controls (or maybe a spline/transpose editing ability) it

could really sing...great job, Andrew! This functionality looks to be a very cool feature when finished.

Funny thing is, if this were a zbrush feature (along with the pixologic marketing), folks on that forum would barely be

containing themselves right now. :D

Anyhow, any tips for how to get less volume and more cloth-like? I just took a grid in Silo and cut a head-hole out of

it, then tried to make the polys close to equally spaced. when I selected it for the cloth mesh, tho, the whole was filled.

does 'cloth thickness' need to be under any particular threshold before it tries to 'fill' itself?

post-475-1235004452_thumb.jpg

Don't know if this will help, but I draped the default cloth over a sphere , subdivided twice,entered to create voxel mesh, cut away and turned.You see additional underside mesh.

Yes I noticed this. I tried hiding the part I want to keep and using Smooth or Ctrl to get rid of the bad part.

• Contributor
Correction: Many shaders from the tools menu make it invisible. From the tree menu they're great.

reproduced and true.

(I barely noticed because i always select shaders from the voxtree)

shaders setting is great btw,I like playing with scale :)

what I would like tough is playing with how the shader display cavities

but it is probably impossible.

Bump or normal channel would be great! especially now that you got genius idea

for automated shader-to-texture projection from multiple angles in your plans.

I can imagine people baking a tree bark or rock shader to texture along with corresponding bump

with a just few clicks.It would be much freedom for gameartists.

same problem i have.

i save all 10 minutes to a new file and hope one of them will work, i start 3dc the next time. ^^

I tried installing alpha 57 again and the file still caused a crash. So that means the file is actually bad, not something in 58 (as for loading anyway).

Thank you for the strong update. Very impressive.

But I would like to remember one of the most important points for a skulpting and painting software like 3DC.

In software like ZBrush the most important points are not the features like zspheres or retopology or whatever. There are a lot of possibilities to do this features in third party software.

The most important point and the "buying argument" are the brushes. Not the brushes themself, I mean the "feeling". I interviewed some very talented artists, who are using zBrush. Everyone says: The most important point is the smoothy and direkt brush-flow and the feeling to work with them. The artist don't need to think about megabytes of ram or fast cpu's, the brushes "just work" how the artist expects it. The work is not done, just to program a connection to the wacom drivers...

At least: Don't forget it. You can have voxelsculpting, cloth or whatever. If the brush will jump or stops or have simliar problems, this could be the argument, to not use 3DC. Especially new users.

Just my two cents.

Don't understand me wrong. 3DC is a very impressive and strong tool and will change the future of skulpting tools, but be carefully with new features. Better to stop implementing new features and concentrate to elaborate the embedded ones.

Be creative

Chris

Thank you for the strong update. Very impressive.

But I would like to remember one of the most important points for a skulpting and painting software like 3DC.

In software like ZBrush the most important points are not the features like zspheres or retopology or whatever. There are a lot of possibilities to do this features in third party software.

The most important point and the "buying argument" are the brushes. Not the brushes themself, I mean the "feeling". I interviewed some very talented artists, who are using zBrush. Everyone says: The most important point is the smoothy and direkt brush-flow and the feeling to work with them. The artist don't need to think about megabytes of ram or fast cpu's, the brushes "just work" how the artist expects it. The work is not done, just to program a connection to the wacom drivers...

At least: Don't forget it. You can have voxelsculpting, cloth or whatever. If the brush will jump or stops or have simliar problems, this could be the argument, to not use 3DC. Especially new users.

Just my two cents.

Don't understand me wrong. 3DC is a very impressive and strong tool and will change the future of skulpting tools, but be carefully with new features. Better to stop implementing new features and concentrate to elaborate the embedded ones.

Be creative

Chris

I know, brushing is important....

• Advanced Member

I'm getting a crash on startup with alpha 58. Problem details are as follows:

Process:		 3D-Coat [47187]
Path:			/Applications/3D-Coat-3-00-ALPHA/3D-Coat.app/Contents/MacOS/3D-Coat
Identifier:	  com.yourcompany.3D-Coat
Version:		 ??? (???)
Code Type:	   X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [96]

Date/Time:	   2009-02-19 09:38:11.611 +0100
OS Version:	  Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)
Report Version:  6

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework/Versions/A/3DconnexionClient
  Referenced from: /Applications/3D-Coat-3-00-ALPHA/3D-Coat.app/Contents/MacOS/3D-Coat
  Reason: image not found

System config:

Model: MacBookPro3,1, BootROM MBP31.0070.B07, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.6 GHz, 2 GB
Graphics: GeForce 8600M GT, GeForce 8600M GT, spdisplays_pcie_device, 256 MB
Memory Module: BANK 0/DIMM0, 1 GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz
Memory Module: BANK 1/DIMM1, 1 GB, DDR2 SDRAM, 667 MHz
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x168C, 0x87), 1.4.8.0
Bluetooth: Version 2.1.3f8, 2 service, 0 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
PCI Card: sppci_expresscard_name, sata, PCI Slot 3
PCI Card: pci168c,24, sppci_othernetwork, PCI Slot 5
Serial ATA Device: Hitachi HTS722020K9SA00, 186.31 GB
Parallel ATA Device: ST3300831AS, 279.46 GB
Parallel ATA Device: ST3300831AS, 279.46 GB
Parallel ATA Device: MATSHITADVD-R   UJ-85J
USB Device: External HDD, (null) mA
USB Device: Built-in iSight, (null) mA
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, (null) mA
USB Device: IR Receiver, (null) mA
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, (null) mA
USB Device: Microsoft Optical Mouse with Tilt Wheel, (null) mA
FireWire Device: My Book, WD, 800mbit_speed

• Advanced Member
Yes, we discovering this problem... The build was done on new mac, we are reconfiguring it...

The problem is in lack of 3DConnexion drivers... But they will not be need after fixing this problem. All our PC have that drivers, so it is difficult to test.

Thanks for the explanation. I tracked down the drivers and installed em (even though I do not have a 3d mouse). It works fine now.

• Advanced Member

Andrew,

Alpha 58 don't start on my machine, this is the report and the configuration, let me know if i've made something wrong...

REPORT:

Process: 3D-Coat [9851]

Path: /Applications/3D-Coat-3-00-ALPHA/3D-Coat.app/Contents/MacOS/3D-Coat

Identifier: com.yourcompany.3D-Coat

Version: ??? (???)

Code Type: X86 (Native)

Parent Process: launchd [161]

Date/Time: 2009-02-19 12:16:15.470 +0100

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)

Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

Crashed Thread: 0

Dyld Error Message:

Library not loaded: /Library/Frameworks/3DconnexionClient.framework/Versions/A/3DconnexionClient

Referenced from: /Applications/3D-Coat-3-00-ALPHA/3D-Coat.app/Contents/MacOS/3D-Coat

Reason: image not found

CONFIG:

Model: MacPro3,1, BootROM MP31.006C.B02, 8 processors, Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 3 GHz, 6 GB

Graphics: kHW_NVidiaGeForce8800GTItem, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, spdisplays_pcie_device, 512 MB

Memory Module: DIMM Riser B/DIMM 1, 1 GB, DDR2 FB-DIMM, 800 MHz

Memory Module: DIMM Riser B/DIMM 2, 1 GB, DDR2 FB-DIMM, 800 MHz

Memory Module: DIMM Riser A/DIMM 1, 2 GB, DDR2 FB-DIMM, 800 MHz

Memory Module: DIMM Riser A/DIMM 2, 2 GB, DDR2 FB-DIMM, 800 MHz

PCI Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT, display, Slot-1

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

thanks, work fine now and the cloth tools is extremely impressive! One thing, i'm not able to drag with mouse after installing 3dconnexion drivers, it work right with tablet instead, but it's impossible to use mouse and ai haven't found anything useful in the preferences panes...

-TOXE