3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

I really hope that with all the excitement over volumetric sculpting (regardless of how cool and groovy it is) the core foundations of 3dcoat aren't being neglected. Would be nice to have some feedback on how bugs and much needed features that have been discussed in the past are being treated, even if it's happening quietly in the background.

My personal gripes with 3dcoat are that the painting is still very slow occasionally while working with the various and being based on micropolygons (I forget correct terminology) it produces those strange triangulated artifacts where strokes overlap. Has 'painting based on uv' been touched upon at all Andrew? This might be a reason that the falloff seems a little inconsistent on the brushes, maybe the two are related.

Don't want to rain on the volumetric sculpting parade because it's quite exciting stuff but I bought 3dCoat as a replacement to zbrush/bodypaint/mudbox texturing for my pipeline.

Cheers.

I really hope that with all the excitement over volumetric sculpting (regardless of how cool and groovy it is) the core foundations of 3dcoat aren't being neglected. Would be nice to have some feedback on how bugs and much needed features that have been discussed in the past are being treated, even if it's happening quietly in the background.

My personal gripes with 3dcoat are that the painting is still very slow occasionally while working with the various and being based on micropolygons (I forget correct terminology) it produces those strange triangulated artifacts where strokes overlap. Has 'painting based on uv' been touched upon at all Andrew? This might be a reason that the falloff seems a little inconsistent on the brushes, maybe the two are related.

Don't want to rain on the volumetric sculpting parade because it's quite exciting stuff but I bought 3dCoat as a replacement to zbrush/bodypaint/mudbox texturing for my pipeline.

Cheers.

4 major features of 3.0 - voxel scculpting, direct painting, 64-bit support, interface improvements. So painting is not forgotten. 3 of 4 - direct painting/interface/64 bit are painting related.

VS touches retopo tools also - they will be improved as a part of VS improvement.

So, all in order.

I make all urgent requests - you know. So if you have urgent request - please post it in Feature requests and mark it as urgent.

Andrew, will you continue to release builds on this thread, or will they be moved out of it since the discussion has moved to an entirely different forum now? Understanding this is the Beta forum, so I presumed it would continue to be released here, but I thought I'd check just in case... :)

Cheers.

In addition to my previous post -

I have started from VS because if almods does not affect other functionality, so it will be easy to make service updates.

Direct uv painting will swizzle the whole 3DC so I have set it in second order after VS.

Also, many of reported bugs was fixed in 2.10.10, some improvements in retopo tool was done.

I will post there releases and alphas info. But main discussion will be branched.

I hope you don't mind the correction but I see you often saying "there" when you mean "here". Usually it's obvious what you mean but in this case it could confuse someone since "there" is the new threads. The other time I mainly see you do it is when you're saying something like "you can find the new version there". When people post a link like that they usually use "here" as in "in this spot".

Naturally, thanks for the clarification. I might suggest that you lock a thread with just the releases (and any release info on them) that way the discussion will move out of this thread and into the sub forums you created specifically for 3.0... Not to sound lazy or anything, but it would be nice to not have to fish around several different sub forums to find info or discussions related to the beta as it currently does, and have one specific thread purely for downloading the beta, thanks Andrew!

• Advanced Member

Andrew: A few days ago i posted a thread with some bug reports and feature requests and i was wondering if you had a chance to look at it yet.

Would it be easier for you if i broke the thread down and put them in the related feature and bug threads you just created?

My Bugs and Feature Requests Thread

Andrew: A few days ago i posted a thread with some bug reports and feature requests and i was wondering if you had a chance to look at it yet.

Would it be easier for you if i broke the thread down and put them in the related feature and bug threads you just created?

My Bugs and Feature Requests Thread

Thanks for reminding, I really missed this thread.

Maybe it is better to split that topic. Now I am getting so much info that it is really easy to loose something important.

Updated to v.24

Changes:

1) Performance improvements

2) New brushes - fill/airbrush/knife. Knife is still working not always well (experimental).

3) Render improved much. Many important options was included. DOF plane preview.

4) Possibility to smooth whole mesh

5) Shaders engine improvement. You have check box "Shadows". User shaders was moved to folder "Shaders\Custom". Much more convenient shaders debugging - errors will be displayed immediately.

Hi, just joined

Must say the new fill brush is the best new addittion.

Neither Zbrush nor Mudbox has any brush like this.

This application in my opinion is going to be the best of all the digital sculpting applications.

True sculptures are done with volume and this application is starting to finally breakthough to a more natural way of developing of creating forms digitally.

I will definitely become a customer.

Congrats to you Andrew.

• Advanced Member

Had the time to play with this new release, and I have to admit that I am amazed.

It's becoming really powerful, the shaders are really sweet, and I love the new tools, the airbrush and fill tool are really great.

Good job once again Andrew!

Hey where is the mac programmer? I have many creatures and puppets that wants to be improved ;)

-TOXE

Don't worry, Mac version is coming today. I have filished late evening yesterday and was not able to produce Mac build.

I slightly worry about "Render" - will it work on Mac or not, but anyway it should be checked.

• Contributor
Alpha 24 works fine here, maybe you habe a OS-Problem?

This is what I am getting--did not have the problem with V20 and before.

(The suggested options on the dropdown are not effective)

Brian

post-192-1223452666_thumb.jpg