3DCoat Forums

Don`t save Jpegs with the scene files?

Tiles

Thanks carlosan

Bummer! :(

Other programs never save a jpeg with their scene file. I don`t need this thumbnails. And this jpegs heavily disturbs. I have tried to save over it as a scene file more than once now. And am busy with deleting this files again and again. Is there a place to enter my userwish to make this feature modal?

• Contributor

Thanks carlosan

Bummer! :(

Other programs never save a jpeg with their scene file. I don`t need this thumbnails. And this jpegs heavily disturbs. I have tried to save over it as a scene file more than once now. And am busy with deleting this files again and again. Is there a place to enter my userwish to make this feature modal?

Yes, as a feature request on Mantis: http://3d-coat.com:8081/mantis/my_view_page.php

• Contributor

Yeah it can be somewhat useful sometimes, but mostly I don't need it. I tend to just give all my project files descriptive names and that is good enough for me.

I will make a feature request on Mantis for us.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

please make the "no project thumbnails" as option.

with TURN ON by default STRONGLY !

I mean by default without jpeg thumbnails

What an overmind had made the saving thumbnails as:

file.3b.jpeg   format?

confused  :\ why not

file.jpeg ?

really stupid because if you try to resave the same scene it'll unable to write the file error (

• Reputable Contributor

Strong support from me too. I've never looked at those JPEG since my first contact with 3D Coat. They just eat up hard disk space that's all.

I use them all the time to see what stage a model was in, when it was saved. VERY useful and considering how small of a footprint they leave on the HD, I can't see why this is a complaint.

• Reputable Contributor

please make the "no project thumbnails" as option.

with TURN ON by default STRONGLY !

I mean by default without jpeg thumbnails

What an overmind had made the saving thumbnails as:

file.3b.jpeg   format?

confused  :\ why not

file.jpeg ?

really stupid because if you try to resave the same scene it'll unable to write the file error (

You'd be surprised at what you thought was stupid....was actually the result of someone requesting it. If you want to call Andrew stupid....you've crossed the line. He's one of the brightest developer's I've ever seen. Now some requests are petty and take up needless dev time. This might be one of those. If I recall correctly, someone or some folks had asked that clicking on the Jpeg launch the file, in case the user had accidentally chosen the Jpeg instead of the file.

Don't confuse Andrew's willingness to accommodate with being stupid. Very poor choice of words.

• Contributor

The main problem I have with these JPEGs is that they are separate files from the project files. The genius thing I noticed about Blender files is that the actual icon for the file is a screen shot of the project. There is only one file then, and it is much less of a clutter. If 3D-Coat files were the same way, then I'd like it, but as it is right now, I often get confused as to which file is the JPEG and which one is the project file. When working quickly I sometimes accidentally click on the JPEG file and it throws me out of my flow for a moment. Plus, when looking at a folder full of files, everything is essentially doubled visually, and that is not really ideal is it?

So, I think the idea of having these screen shots is good, but it could be implemented better, or at least giving us the option to turn it off would be nice.

In any case, I agree with AbnRanger in regards to Andrew. Andrew is definitely a genius programmer and a very considerate person as well! There are certainly other bugs and feature requests that have higher priority, so I can live with these JPEGs for now, but if Andrew gets around to changing it at some point, I would be definitely be grateful!

• Contributor

Yes, yes. Listen to Timmy. From my side I can only add that at save time (the moment you press CTRL+S or save incrementally) your scene camera might not necessarily be positioned in a place that would let you to distinguish between one state or another.

File names are the key. If you name your files properly, there's no need for scene thumbnails.

Edited by ajz3d

• Reputable Contributor

Yes, yes. Listen to Timmy. From my side I can only add that at save time (the moment you press CTRL+S or save incrementally) your scene camera might not necessarily be positioned in a place that would let you to distinguish between one state or another.

File names are the key. If you name your files properly, there's no need for scene thumbnails.

I'll have to disagree with that statement. I save a lot and incrementally, so that I don't end up losing much should I suffer a crash at some point. These thumbnails help me distinguish just what was done and saves me several minutes having to dig through different versions to find the one I'm looking for. Just last night, they helped me spot the file that had the retopo mesh I was looking for. I assumed the last one saved had it, but it turns out, that it didn't. The thumbnail gave me an indication that one a few saves earlier was the one I wanted.

I do agree that having a thumbnail as the icon of the file would be the best solution, but having them...even in it's current state, is far better than not having them. I can easily see what is a .3b file and what is a .jpg file. Andrew spent valuable time allowing the user to have the file open even if they mistakenly click on the Jpeg instead....and what reward does he get for that effort? He gets called STUPID by someone with just a few posts.  <_<

Edited by AbnRanger

Ranger if you didn't get the meaning of my post:

I didn't call someone stupid

I didn't call this option stupid

And I believe that it was actually the result of someone requesting it.

But why it can't be optional because not everybody like it?

OS Windows has the thing called file type associations.

So the question was in the jpeg file naming.

filename.3b.jpeg instead of filename.jpeg

Edited by zzz7net

• Contributor

It's probably because Andrew used the lazy way (I don't blame him, just saying):

Take the filename before ".jpeg" as the opening command in the open window in 3dc. zzz7net is somewhat right though, maybe he should've get rid of the .3b as it's always a 3b file anyway (he could've added it in his code).

What puzzles me though is that after this time he has not taken the time to refine this function and simply import the header as jpg in the file and wrote a custom file association for 3d to open with and still display a "jpg" has his file thumb.

This was a nice temp solution, easy and effective, but it's nothing expected from a software of this quality...

[EDIT] about this last error message: Andrew did forget to filter those files in save dialog, that's an error and need to be fixed if he doesn't plan to embed the thumbs in the files.

• Reputable Contributor

Ranger if you didn't get the meaning of my post:

I didn't call someone stupid

I didn't call this option stupid

And I believe that it was actually the result of someone requesting it.

But why it can't be optional because not everybody like it?

OS Windows has the thing called file type associations.

So the question was in the jpeg file naming.

filename.3b.jpeg instead of filename.jpeg

I told you, already...there was a reason behind it. Someone complained that they will accidentally click on the jpeg file when trying to open a file from within 3D Coat. So, Andrew used this file name convention to address that issue.

Open the app. Try to open a file that has a corresponding jpeg thumnail....by clicking on the thumbnail/jpeg file itself. It will open the 3D Coat file. That's not stupid. It's helpful. And when you call development work that Andrew has done....stupid, don't try to kid us....you effectively called Andrew stupid. When people start bashing his work like that, it can grieve Andrew enough that he no longer is motivated to work as hard as he does and communicate with the userbase. It's very rare to have a developer like him. There are plenty others out there, that operate in the dark. No communication...no word about development. Please don't mess this up for the rest of us.

As for CTRL + ALT +S....think about what you are saying. You are trying to use it for the very same function as CTRL + S. It is meant to save WITH A DIFFERENT FILE NAME. If you want it to save with an updated thumbnail (and the same filename), use CTRL + S. That error message is simply saying that it's not going to write a new thumbnail. It's not an issue if you use the right commands for the right purposes.

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew would be advised to filter .3d.jpg files from the save dialog though... that would have cleared his issue. No visible jpg files in that dlg is logical.

I agree that one should have the option to disable thumbnail jpegs from the preferences, but even as it is...I don't understand all the fuss. I LIKE the way it is. If you just embed the thumbnail in the .3b file, then you would only be able to see it from within 3D Coat via the FILE > Open menu. As it is now, I can peruse the different files and see which one is in the state I am looking for...even see which versions are safe to delete, without having 3D Coat open. I don't have an issue at all, with the way it is now. There are MUCH bigger fish to fry than this.

Edited by AbnRanger

• Contributor

Nope, not talking about an option. And no you can embed a thumb picture for a given file without having to use the software to open it, custom shell extension can provide such preview without any file lying around.

Not priority AbnRanger but definitely an usability tweak is needed here (on large projects the number of jpg can be pretty overwhelming).

• Advanced Member

Hey Everyone,

I think I was the one who initially requested this feature, however, I was hoping that the image would be embedded into the actual .3b file...which I think would be a much more elegant solution.  Blender does this and so does another program I use called TVPaint.