3DCoat Forums

2024 Feature requests wishlist

Andrew Shpagin

• Reputable Contributor
On 6/11/2023 at 5:04 AM, Elemeno said:

3dcoat uses voxels ... you wont be able to keep your uvs... the topology is constantly changing but thats not a bad thing... thats what makes 3DC amazing

This is partially true. When importing a model into the Sculpt Room, yes, topology and UV's are discarded, however, as you recall in my posts about this topic, it is preserved by importing a copy into the Retopo workspace before the sculpting process begins > Enable CONFORM RETOPO MESH in the toolbar of the Sculpt Room.

• Thanks 1

• Contributor

This might be double post, if so I'm sorry but I think my previous request for this might have been lost to time :blush:

I would like to request "On Plane" setting for Sculpt room Move tool and possibly also Modeling, Retopo room Brush tool

the usecase is manipulating the geometry from outside the object's silhouette

thank you for any consideration!

4 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

Do you mean that the ON PLANE option, did not work when using the Vox Hide tool? It should. If it didn't then perhaps there is a bug. I will test and see if I can confirm it.

i just found it difficult to work with,  my request is to have a workflow closer to the subtract workflow in the primitives tool,  perhaps a proxy or preview primitive.

I just find that simpler to work with

Illustrated below.  (also another primitive is how I got the gap in the jacket.

workflow3.jpg

workflow2.jpg

workflow1.jpg

• Advanced Member
On 6/10/2023 at 5:17 PM, AbnRanger said:

Se c'è un'opzione "Sul piano" nello strumento, puoi usarla per spostare visivamente il piano di taglio lontano o verso la telecamera usando il tasto "+" o "-" (tastierino numerico) 

I am trying this tool again, also following the video above.
I premise that I could be wrong or not know the program well, but.

It is cumbersome to use the + and - keys, and in any case you have to choose the axis in the tool options tab each time.

This tool is very nice and would be extremely useful, but it needs improvement.

The need to manually choose axes, in the tool options tab, needs to be eliminated.
The depth to which the cut should go should be chosen visually, on the 3 axes, simply by rotating the object from time to time.

I think it is simple to achieve this improvement: first click (pick point by rmb action) visually at the point (on the object) where you want the cut to go.
Then rotate the object to the cut position and right-click again (something like a cyclic command), this tentatively establishes the plane cut  based on the user view, as happens when using ''cut-off'' without the ''on-plane'' option.

Getting something similar I think has always been possible with vox hide as well, but in a different way.

Edited by rubeos

On 6/10/2023 at 1:55 PM, Sui said:

Voxal Hide is so far a brilliant tool, but it takes some guess when I tried to limit how deep it cuts. It would be even greater if there is some ui that shows the depth it cuts, just like you would extrude a face to cut in some other programs, or perhaps simply like other brush tools which the depth is at some degree shown on the cursor.

Also, is there a way to use another object to voxal hide another object(something like boolean). I know it is possible through normal boolean operation in voxel tree. I just want to know if it is possible to do it in the Voxel Hide way, cos it's relatively nondestructive.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Sui said:

Also, is there a way to use another object to voxal hide another object(something like boolean). I know it is possible through normal boolean operation in voxel tree. I just want to know if it is possible to do it in the Voxel Hide way, cos it's relatively nondestructive.

no... but ive wanted this for a while.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sui said:

I wish they would do that like the primitive tool

• 3 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

can anything brought over from retopo room or modelling room as surface mode not be triangulated please ... gets an edge flow is impossible because its constantly being triangulated .. im happy with voxels being how it is ... but surface mode needs to retain its topology , and quads are the best way to sculpt onto , subdivide , modelling etc ... quads also dont cause shading errors... i really dont want to bring anything into zbrush anymore ... i want to be able to have a high quality high poly sculpt that isnt 30+millions tris and takes forever to bake from ...

• Like 2

FEATURE REQUEST:

Adaptive decimation at export. More details = less decimation, less details = more decimation.

Softwares like Gaea already do that for terrain mesh exports and it works beautifully. Get crisp and light meshes to work on in Blender is a blessing.

Edited by allanmrtn

• Reputable Contributor
11 hours ago, allanmrtn said:

FEATURE REQUEST:

Adaptive decimation at export. More details = less decimation, less details = more decimation.

Softwares like Gaea already do that for terrain mesh exports and it works beautifully. Get crisp and light meshes to work on in Blender is a blessing.

Try this "Simplified Export" process that Andrew developed in the past year or so, to make it easier to get high poly assets to game engines like UE5 and to Blender.

From the Sculpt workspace, go to the FILE menu > EXPORT > DECIMATE-AUTO UV-EXPORT. Test a scene and see if it delivers the kind of results you are looking for.

• Advanced Member

Hiya,

It would be really really nice and more elegant if there were a way to have all the panels in one "asset browser" sort of set up.  The interface can get very crowded and clunky looking when one is adding docked panel after panel to the UI to get a work flow set up.  

Also there is no way for me to drag panels to my other monitor to lighten up the amount of panels needed to work.  As advanced as Textura and 3DCoat are I would have expected that to be already implemented.  

The large screen shot works OK but yea, could be a little more lighter if I had a way to push some of those panels to my second monitor! 

Thank you

Richard 

Current setup.png

Edited by Richard A.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Richard A. said:

Hiya,

It would be really really nice and more elegant if there were a way to have all the panels in one "asset browser" sort of set up.  The interface can get very crowded and clunky looking when one is adding docked panel after panel to the UI to get a work flow set up.  

Also there is no way for me to drag panels to my other monitor to lighten up the amount of panels needed to work.  As advanced as Textura and 3DCoat are I would have expected that to be already implemented.  

The large screen shot works OK but yea, could be a little more lighter if I had a way to push some of those panels to my second monitor! 

Thank you

Richard 

Current setup.png

my friend ... use TAB.. tab is your painting friend

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Revolutionary Holographic Display Plugin  - Users would only need to buy a special/cheap refractive lens that Microlux creates to apply to their LED display.

3DCoat plugin would project 48 camera angles to the entire display like a sprite sheet (many little displays tiled but represent different camera angles) 

The Microlux thin Film applied to the display decodes the individual tiles based on the user's viewing angle so looking around the corner on their Monitor is possible.

Two render modes should be possible: 1. full screen render of just the viewport 2. UI & Viewport Render.

This would be the viewing result of their own monitor 

I've created a post about this years ago. Such a plugin could also remedy VR compatibility.

Edited by Ascensi
missing info
  • Thanks 1

• Reputable Contributor
On 7/19/2023 at 6:09 PM, Richard A. said:

Hiya,

Thank you

Richard 

Current setup.png

I fully agree on both accounts.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Ascensi said:

Revolutionary Holographic Display Plugin  - Users would only need to buy a special/cheap refractive lens that Microlux creates to apply to their LED display.

3DCoat plugin would project 48 camera angles to the entire display like a sprite sheet (many little displays tiled but represent different camera angles) 

The Microlux thin Film applied to the display decodes the individual tiles based on the user's viewing angle so looking around the corner on their Monitor is possible.

Two render modes should be possible: 1. full screen render of just the viewport 2. UI & Viewport Render.

This would be the viewing result of their own monitor 

I've created a post about this years ago. Such a plugin could also remedy VR compatibility.

I've seen Looking Glass displays before and they're cool but I'm not sure how helpful they would be for sculpting or other 3DC functions.

10 hours ago, Ascensi said:

Batch import Textures with user specified naming convention ie; _nm  or nm_   _disp or disp_  etc for quick Smart Material database creation. 

Add existing materials folder.

image.jpeg

Add the Smart materials from an existing folder. A new Materials folder with the same name will be created. Select at least one file to automatically add all the files from the folder to the list.

image.jpeg

continue reading here

Hi 

Is there a feature where I can search for existing brushes/commands? Like pressing spacebar pops a list which can be text searched. This functionality is very common in other 3d apps. let's say I want access to cut tool. I should be able to press a shortcut and type cut, and it should appear in the dropdown. There are two advantages of this, 

1. Quick access to functionality without looking for it in the UI. 3DCoat has a lot of brushes, so it makes sense.
2. Learning about new functionality while searching. They drop down may show related brushes like split tool or others.

Thanks

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

I notice that after so many years 3DCoat still doesn’t consider a basic idea..or has taken it into consideration, but thinks that it is not important enough. Years ago I also created a topic, obviously people don’t care about this simple feature.:(

When sculpting, especially complex organic models, there are two very important functions: masking and hiding.

These must be thought with intelligence to be super fast to run, practically without taking your fingers off ctrl/alt/shift and detach the pen from the tablet.
It would be CRUCIAL for the sculpting to have a shortcuts system for this. And it should be provided by default, when opening the program.
Like Zbrush.
It is not about becoming proud because of fears of imitating Zbrush, simply Zbrush has discovered the most natural and fast system to do it, and should be imitated (or improved, if you are able).

A fast masking/hiding system allows fast masking, with everything that follows. Existing tools and workflow could take on new life.
Often in an organic figure it is necessary to quickly isolate a part, in order to sculpt the undercuts or hidden parts.How many steps do you have to do now in 3DCoat to do these things? Starting with the fact that, to make things slightly simpler, you have to map masking and hiding yourself.

The current 3DCoat masking/hiding workflow is extremely clumsy. It is neglected as a concept, you can not see how useful it can be. Please bring extreme attention to this.

Edited by rubeos
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On version 2023.10 this features were added
- RMB over layer -> Freeze Painted/Freeze Transparent works correctly with Pose Selection.
- The pose/freeze selection management improved: store to layer, recall from layer, recall by click on layer.
Part of this functionality was present before, but it was not clear how to use it.

image.png

• Advanced Member

Sorry, maybe I don’t understand, but I guess that’s not what I was asking.
These functions that you indicate are certainly very useful but what I meant is a fast and essentially destructive masking and hiding system.
Basically based on some sticky keys and a gesture system, exclusively dedicated to masking and hiding.
For example, in Zbrush you have any brush active. Press ctrl and activate the mask tool, when you release it you will find the previous brush again. Along with this there are other related functions, such as deleting all selection, invert, etc.
It’s very useful, intuitive, fast, few clicks...once you have learned it you can not do without:)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member
  • Ability to dock the E Stroke panel.
  • Default behavior of the gizmo origin of the pose tool "Paint" to be at the transition area and centering to the volume of that transition area or having an option to do so rather than just centering gizmo on the whole selcection. Currently to pose a character or limb requires the user to adjust the location of the gizmo every time a user wants to make adjustments to models.  When using the irregular gizmo have it's orientation align more closely to that which is selected/painted and be able to snap the green spheres to the actual mesh or volume. As well as automatically adjusting the irregular gizmo lenght and size to the users snapped positions. 
  • Proper UDIM workflow and Visual layout of all UDIMs in a window, along with hiding,isolation and masking of individual udim tiles or painting across all udims in the viewport as well as in the 2D texture editor (similar to current). Creation of UDIMS and layout of UDIMS in the Retopo room.
  • Option to make gizmo completely visible and not hide different elements depending on the view.
  • Stop the Tool panel from reappearing after using the tab button when "hide tool panel" from preferences is selected. Tab key disables the Preferences setting.
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize in advance, software like 3d coat must have much better logic and better designed UI, it has great potential to be an industry standard. I apologize to the developers who put their effort into the program, there are a lot of functions that are great and make everything easier and I have no objections to that as well as to the constant development. What I want to say is that the current layout of the program is a total mess, and kills the will to work after a while.

Just ask some good UI UX designers to do their job , i think most user would agree with me, put effort on that on next version ! :)

Thanks

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
4 hours ago, NNperson said:

I apologize in advance, software like 3d coat must have much better logic and better designed UI, it has great potential to be an industry standard. I apologize to the developers who put their effort into the program, there are a lot of functions that are great and make everything easier and I have no objections to that as well as to the constant development. What I want to say is that the current layout of the program is a total mess, and kills the will to work after a while.

Just ask some good UI UX designers to do their job , i think most user would agree with me, put effort on that on next version ! :)

Thanks

These types of broad generalizations cannot help anyone. They don't help the developers know what you deem to be wrong...specifically. Please give explicit examples of the things you find fault with. Perhaps others in the community will confirm it and the developers then know it's worth addressing. The layout is designed to be very similar to Photoshop, so that is not going to change. There is nothing wrong with having different workspaces because 3DCoat specializes not in just one task but many, thus having all the tools for one stage of a studio pipeline, in one location, and another set of tools in another location, is not unintuitive in my opinion.

However one improvement I have been asking for over the past few years is that Retopo/Modeling and Paint Meshes should be merged/unified, so they are no longer separate objects. This way, the UV tools are all located in one place. The way it is now, yes, I agree, creates confusion for new users.

• Like 2

• Carlosan changed the title to 2024 Feature requests wishlist