3D Coat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3DCoat 4.8 BETA testing thread

Does anybody knows how the new Soft booleans mode in Primitive tool works? "Apply soft Booleans is checked but any of the Bevel parameters have no effects on applied operation(substract). Btw the soft Booleans button is really hidden it needs to be much more obvious,it looks like a checkbox but it's a button...and there is nothing written on it ;).  (im using latest SL beta build 4.8.39)

10 hours ago, Dmitriy_1978 said:

when press export button in 3dsmax model doesn;t appear in 3dcoat. It opens coat and import nothing.

That usually means there is a discrepancy between the location of the exported file and where you are telling the applink to look for those temp files. There is a list menu for the Temp directory in the applink. Make sure the chosen location is where you pointed to. Might be best to export to MY Docs/ 3DCoat 4.8 / Exchange, make sure the Temp directory in the applink panel is pointing to that folder, and it should work properly. 

4 hours ago, allanmrtn said:

Any release notes for the 4.8.39?

Usually on the first page of this thread.

Just now, AbnRanger said:

Usually on the first page of this thread.

....and it appears the 4.8.39 notes are incorrectly labeled 4.8.38. There are also some typos (like duplicate lines) that need to be corrected. 

On 5/14/2019 at 10:34 PM, lesaint said:

I'm sorry I just can't use 4.8.39
there is the retopo room that makes me crash, and the Space navigator that resets to default every time I start 3dc

Yeah! I was trying to figure out what was going on with my Space Pilot. I guess that's it. Although it seemed like it reset itself once while I was using 3DC. I fixed it and then had to fix it again.

• Like 1

So I just realized I'm not using the latest beta, I'm on 4.8.34. When I use the auto retopo I get a message saying a new UV set was created. But that's it, there's nothing new in the UV set list and there's no retopo mesh.

Retopo_bug.png

On 5/15/2019 at 10:50 AM, Rygaard said:

I just found out one thing about my brush performance problem on surface mode.
Bust test (from the initial screen):

- I subdivided twice the Bust by the Subdivide button that is in the Surface Tools in the Brushes. The operation generated me 3.5 million tris. The result is that I had no problems with brush performance.

image.png.cc5a53b1d256a5e6065d07970b27b2a6.png
* Then I subdivided Bust again by subdivide button that gave me 16.3 million tris and I still had good brush performance. The performance has dropped a bit, but this is acceptable for the amount of 16.3 million. The performance does not look good in areas of very high concentration of tris as in the nose. But the overall performance is good.

- Again, I subdivide the mesh twice by the small VoxTree button (Increase resolution of the current object). The operation also generated me 3.5 million tris. The result is that I had problems with a lot of lagging and very poor performance of the brush.

image.png.b1b85baa8e99e722aba86f5574b5025c.png

In this test I conclude that with me the type of subdivision directly influences the performance of the brush in the surface mode.

Thanks for investigation. Really there was problem in IncRes. After correcting sculpting speed in high resolutions grown many many times. Build comes soon.

• Thanks 1

Andrew can you briefly explain how Soft booleans work? None of the parameters seems to have any effect when applying operations.Im just testing using default primitives.

Also,I found source of  camera jump when using Run brush along curve,  the issue happens when user(like me) have set camera navigation to "Rotate around last draw  point" or "rotate around custom point"

Ok,I managed to get Soft booleans working it seems it does not work with the Freeform Primitives and the one that are in the models tabs.only the other kinds.

It's very powerfull and fun to use ,is there any plan to add this to all booleans ?(model tab,curves(mesh curves) or even general booleans from voxtree objects) .

I think I will skip .39 and wait for new version since it sounds like it will be coming eventually. Been on .38 and its been working good for now.

On 5/15/2019 at 7:23 AM, haikalle said:

I downloaded SL version and CUDA is working as expected on my computer.

thank you , I updated Geforce driver.  Cuda is working correctly.

3 hours ago, artman said:

Ok,I managed to get Soft booleans working it seems it does not work with the Freeform Primitives and the one that are in the models tabs.only the other kinds.

It's very powerfull and fun to use ,is there any plan to add this to all booleans ?(model tab,curves(mesh curves) or even general booleans from voxtree objects) .

How did you get it working?

5 hours ago, gbball said:

How did you get it working?

it seems to only work with a limited amount of primitives (I haven't tested all of them)

The button to access the Soft booleans parameters is the little box that looks like a checkbox and has nothing written on it.

sb.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, artman said:

it seems to only work with a limited amount of primitives (I haven't tested all of them)

The button to access the Soft booleans parameters is the little box that looks like a checkbox and has nothing written on it.

sb.png

Ok, thanks.  I got it working in Surface mode, but not Voxel mode.  It's pretty cool though.

This is offtopic, I just thought I'd dump this in here, I hope nobody minds.

Ideas for improvement :

-Make The symmetry information visible at all time in the symmetry panel if it is open. At present, when you open a saved file, the panel is blank until you go to Symmetry menu > Symmetry

-Add a Search filter for Smart materials in paint room

-In retopo room, make the "invert" button under Selected visible when the select tool is active.  At present, it is only visible when Mark Seams or Edge Loops tool is active.

is there gradient map like photoshop in paint room?

I want to use guradient map.

3 hours ago, jene said:

You can "edit projections in external editor" from the edit menu. Set photoshop as your external 2d editor in preferences.

4 hours ago, jene said:

There is a gradient mode inside Fill tool. Linear ,Spherical and using custom points.

1 hour ago, artman said:

There is a gradient mode inside Fill tool. Linear ,Spherical and using custom points.

Gradient map is a different thing. It's not a spatial distribution of color. It's a "tool that allows you to map different colors to different tones"

I think it's possible to make something like this with custom Smart Material, but it will not be as convenient as in Photoshop.

Edited by druh0o

On 5/20/2019 at 8:02 PM, lesaint said:

You can "edit projections in external editor" from the edit menu. Set photoshop as your external 2d editor in preferences.

On 5/20/2019 at 9:04 PM, artman said:

thank you . I will use external 2D software so far.

59 minutes ago, jene said:

thank you . I will use external 2D software so far.

3DCoat has a streamlined workflow with Photoshop, so it helps to view PS as an extension, on a 2nd Monitor. Just hit CTRL + P to move layers to PS and CTRL + S in PS to save and update those changes in 3DCoat.

• Like 1

Any news on when the native Linux builds will resume?

Running on Wine is OK, but almost always ends up in some kind of crash for me. Also the Blender to 3D Coat exporter doesn't work properly.

• Like 2