3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

Don't know whether thats the best place to post my question, but can anybody confirm that 3D mice from 3D connexion are already working together with the 3dcoat linux version? I tried several 3dcoat betas and the official release, but couldn't get the mouse to run. Also I wasn't able to find a confirmation in the forum for that - just a hint that the spacenavigator is intended to work with the linux version. I tested both available 3d mouse drivers - the official 3D connexion and the 'inofficial' opensource one from sourceforge. The cube demos worked perfectly and also Blender works with opensource driver since a few months. With 3dcoat I had no luck. Is there a way to check whether 3dcoat recognizes the device? In the log file I had no luck finding any info about it. The settings for the device are already displayed in the options menu, but I guess this is no indicator that the device got recognized properly? I'm happy with any info you can give me about this!

Kind regards,

Michael

Don't know whether thats the best place to post my question, but can anybody confirm that 3D mice from 3D connexion are already working together with the 3dcoat linux version? I tried several 3dcoat betas and the official release, but couldn't get the mouse to run. Also I wasn't able to find a confirmation in the forum for that - just a hint that the spacenavigator is intended to work with the linux version. I tested both available 3d mouse drivers - the official 3D connexion and the 'inofficial' opensource one from sourceforge. The cube demos worked perfectly and also Blender works with opensource driver since a few months. With 3dcoat I had no luck. Is there a way to check whether 3dcoat recognizes the device? In the log file I had no luck finding any info about it. The settings for the device are already displayed in the options menu, but I guess this is no indicator that the device got recognized properly? I'm happy with any info you can give me about this!

Kind regards,

Michael

I recommend you contact Sergyi, Linux&Mac programmer regarding this question -

support.linux@3d-coat.com

• Contributor

Hello there!

This is my first time posting on the 3D Coat forum (I usually just download the new 3.5 beta versions as they come out and then search the forum if I am having problems using the software). The reason I am posting is because I have discovered the same problems with 3.5.25 that you described in your post. After using the surface tools and returning to voxel mode I am getting a lot of holes in my voxel mesh. I would like to start helping to post bugs to the Mantis system, but I have never done that before, and I don't know the process. I think I would like to become more active in these forums because I have grown to love modeling and texturing in 3D Coat and I would like to help improve it as it grows. Any suggestions on how to do the Mantis thing?

Welcome! Posting in Mantis is pretty easy. I'm not sure if it's different for a guest but if you have an account just go to http://3d-coat.com/mantis , log in if you need to, then click Report Issue at the top and fill out the form. Personally I have been leaving "Target Version" blank since I don't know the answer to that, and mostly assigning to Andrew, though I suppose you can assign to farsthary if it's specific to LiveClay.

Updated to 3.5.25A (win)

Changes:

- enabled materials/masks painting (still slow on big maps, will be resolved very soon)

- UI improvement - you will be able to exclude almost any UI elements that you are not using - http://t.co/4Uimmq6h (see [Customize] button).

- New voxel export option - "File->Export projected quads" - alternative high quality quad only voxel export

- Enabled "VoxCleanup" command in retopo menu just for experiment - it is tesselation that works like dynamesh in ZB (done many months ago). Probably it is better to remove it from there and place just in export, but I will consider.

- Fixed problem of painting with big brush near symmetry plane using material.

- Important instability issue in Paint room solved.

• Contributor

Updated to 3.5.25A (win)

Changes:

- enabled materials/masks painting (still slow on big maps, will be resolved very soon)

- UI improvement - you will be able to exclude almost any UI elements that you are not using - http://t.co/4Uimmq6h (see [Customize] button).

- New voxel export option - "File->Export projected quads" - alternative high quality quad only voxel export

- Enabled "VoxCleanup" command in retopo menu just for experiment - it is tesselation that works like dynamesh in ZB (done many months ago). Probably it is better to remove it from there and place just in export, but I will consider.

- Fixed problem of painting with big brush near symmetry plane using material.

- Important instability issue in Paint room solved.

What is the difference between the two export methods?

Which one is better?

What is the difference between the two export methods?

Which one is better?

File -> Export projected quads is the same as Retopo->Vox cleanup but more useful because so dense mesh is mostly useless in retopo room but good for export and further detailing.

It is still a bit experimental stuff. This method is a bit slower than direct export because many topological optimizations are performed there before actual export. It minimizes amount of stars in mesh. But of course Autopo produces better stuff. Anyway it much better than dense quads.

• Contributor

File -> Export projected quads is the same as Retopo->Vox cleanup but more useful because so dense mesh is mostly useless in retopo room but good for export and further detailing.

It is still a bit experimental stuff. This method is a bit slower than direct export because many topological optimizations are performed there before actual export. It minimizes amount of stars in mesh. But of course Autopo produces better stuff. Anyway it much better than dense quads.

Its cool, but I like densequad better,result is closer to source.Very interesting tough. :)

• Advanced Member

Hey Andrew and Raul,

Great work recently on 3d-coat. I've been using it to do some sculpting lately after a bit of a break. I'm finding it easier to get a better degree of polish (Higher geometry) while keeping the brushes relatively responsive.

I think my favorite brushes are in this order, Scratches2, Mud2 and Rapid2. Absolute is also really nice and can be used in some interesting ways.

One thing I wanted to request, hopefully it's not too difficult is including a thumbnail image with each save file. That way I can look through all my sculpts and know which is which without having to open them up. It could be a default image or it could be a snapshot that the user takes when the save the file.

I think that would be a pretty cool feature to have.

Take care,

Gavin

Probably a bug: press space in customize mode= space menu go bye bye.fix: return to custom mode, press space again: back !

I must add I love this feature, be able to work with what's only necesary helps me having a better mindset for sculpting :) ( I can't work on a messy desktop for instance ^^)

Another issue bothering me for some times now: if an item is hidden you can't invoke it by hotkey. This means if you hide the tools you can't use them via hotkeys :)

Your code seems to only answer to what's is in ui, in the same problem: you've got two item using the same name (clay in surf/vox mode): the shotcut you assign to one of those is also used for the other one, this is a real problem and I think changing just text in language file is not a clean answer, it would be better if shortcut reacted to global ID elements, not page > element.

Regarding space - not a but. What you excluded from right panel, will be excluded from space menu too.

Agree - it will be good to allow accessing hidden tool by hotkeys.

Hey Andrew and Raul,

Great work recently on 3d-coat. I've been using it to do some sculpting lately after a bit of a break. I'm finding it easier to get a better degree of polish (Higher geometry) while keeping the brushes relatively responsive.

I think my favorite brushes are in this order, Scratches2, Mud2 and Rapid2. Absolute is also really nice and can be used in some interesting ways.

One thing I wanted to request, hopefully it's not too difficult is including a thumbnail image with each save file. That way I can look through all my sculpts and know which is which without having to open them up. It could be a default image or it could be a snapshot that the user takes when the save the file.

I think that would be a pretty cool feature to have.

Take care,

Gavin

I may do screenshot at the time of saving and save it as jpg with same name as 3b file.

Will it satisfy your needs?

• Reputable Contributor

I am stilling getting the runtime error when switching between first using LC and then using a regular surface brush. I have never had a runtime error since owning 3DCoat from version 2 in 2007.

Win32 non cuda 3.5.25A beta

Win XP Pro.

I use my 64 bit linux 3DCoat version most of the time so I'm still good to go... Oh yeah, Linux update on new version... I had to ask. :rofl:

• Reputable Contributor

I wonder where is these settings in new update?

post-1165-0-37241700-1317224946_thumb.pn

I can confirm that the tool bar that is shown in the picture is missing also in the win32 bit non-cuda version lastest Beta 3.5.25A

There was no customizing done to the interface.

• Advanced Member

I may do screenshot at the time of saving and save it as jpg with same name as 3b file.

Will it satisfy your needs?

Hey Andrew,

Alot of programs can show you thumbnails of your files while you are in the program. Kind of like Photoshop PSDs. Would the jpg be a separate file in the same folder or would it be contained within the .3b save file? I think something where it is attached to the .3b file as a preview would be best.

Cheers,

Gavin

• Contributor

Ok, now I put it in Edit menu and duplicated in Windows menu. But not sure where is better....

Hello Andrew!

I use a Wacom Cintiq 12WX pen tablet and an additional 21 inch monitor (both being run from one Quadro FX 3800 graphics card). I have always wished that it would be possible to take parts of the 3D Coat UI out of the main window (as separate windows) so that I can have the most room to work on my Cintiq, but still be able to see other 3D Coat windows on the 21 inch monitor for reference. I use some programs (like Maya for example) that let you put UI elements into separate windows on other monitors. Would it be possible to make this kind of functionality in 3D Coat? If you could do that I would be very happy!

Thank-you for a wonderful program, and thank-you for listening to your users!

-Tim Z.

Updated to 3.5.25B

Changes:

- dependence parameters restored, CustomizeUI button moved to memu (Edit & Windows).

- serious problem related to Res+ fixed

- Ignore back faces will work correctly with eraser.

- when 3B saved 3DC creates jpg with preview in same folder. When opening JPG-s will be visible too. Clicking on them will open 3B file.