3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

• Advanced Member

Andrew, why don't we have a masking brush which we could paint over areas of the voxel sculpt and then press a toggle button to hide those masked areas? this would be great for those hard to get into places, or if you wanted to just work on one bit of your model and mask off the rest.

T.

Andrew, why don't we have a masking brush which we could paint over areas of the voxel sculpt and then press a toggle button to hide those masked areas? this would be great for those hard to get into places, or if you wanted to just work on one bit of your model and mask off the rest.

T.

You can do this with the Freeze tool in Surface mode, though I don't think there is a toggle. Apparently it is much more difficult to do in Voxel volume mode.

• Reputable Contributor

T.

Use the Freeze tool in Surface mode for that. You have a hotkey to undo the selection (CTRL+D like in Photoshop). It's not yet available in Voxels because of the complexity Volume adds to the equation, but I would like to see it among the few Surface mode tools in the Voxel toolset (toward the bottom of the tools pallet).

Edit: I see Phil beat me to the answer. Also, you have HIDE or CELL HIDE that effectively acts as a masking tool. It's actually a good way to get really crisp edges on boolean type operations.

Wow, that looks cool. Andrew, now that you are working on retopo features I have just filed a request concerning the retopo room. http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8742

Oh, the thing that looks cool is "Major New Feature: Baking Multiple Retopo Layers in one go". The post was here a minute ago, but now its gone. Well i assume ABNRanger and Andrew knows what I am referring to.

Edited by Phizter

• Reputable Contributor

Wow, that looks cool. Andrew, now that you are working on retopo features I have just filed a request concerning the retopo room. http://3d-coat.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8742

Oh, the thing that looks cool is "Major New Feature: Baking Multiple Retopo Layers in one go". The post was here a minute ago, but now its gone. Well i assume ABNRanger and Andrew knows what I am referring to.

I decided to wait until Andrew takes a look at it, and then re-record a test...a brief one this time.

• Reputable Contributor

IMO the longer the better. I'm sure a longer video would have more useful general tips in it which is always a good thing.

That's why I was trying to point out things that would help a new user (too) in the process, and not just be a test. I've made a number of Voxel tutorials, only to delete them because they are too long. It's hard to stay concise when there are so many tips that can help others, in the process. I realize that the average person's attention span is relatively short, so it's tough to find a balance.

Haven't heard back from Andrew yet, so in the mean time, here is the video for those who may be interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLAU2vIyoBY

You can skip through it, just to the main steps (about halfway through). The Cliff Notes version is....just ensure your Vox Tree layers and your corresponding Retopo layers share the exact same name > check "Use Names Correspondence for Baking" and then choose whatever merge option you like.

• Advanced Member

You can do this with the Freeze tool in Surface mode, though I don't think there is a toggle. Apparently it is much more difficult to do in Voxel volume mode.

Yep, I thought it would be great if there was this function in voxel mode, surface mode is o.k. but I prefer working in voxels.

T.

Andrew, BIG PROBLEM, you made file opening from Jpg possible, the problem is the software takes the jpg as the save file path. SO it opens the corresponding 3B file, but when saving (not saving as) it creates a new jpg (by adding .jpg to file name) not updating the 3B file but overwriting the current jpg file with 3B datas. I'm warning you because if people attempt to save without checking their file they may end up with HOURS of work lost.

By the way, I know it's on purpose but it's confusing to see jpg file in a folder when doing file >open while the open dialog is expecting 3B file, I'm sure new user will wonder why they see file they can't edit in the software anyway. May I suggest only showing jpg files that have a 3B counterpart ?

Agree, reuploading it asap.

On slow connection now... not sure will be able today...

Win version updated to 3.5.25G to solve names problem

changes:

- You will be able to edit spline points position & radius - http://t.co/cjEhOWp1

- file open/save with preview and dots problem solved

- Fixed problem of Fill tool preview scale when you are filling with pattern in "UV mapping" mode.

- Important impovement to simplify baking process: There is new option in Retopo menu to bake retopo layer only over voxel layer of same name

There is also "Check correspondence" button in retopo menu to simplify finding correspondence.

- baking memory consumption decreased a lot.

- holes in LC fixed, but no major update there, wait changes in 3.5.26

• Advanced Member

Thanks for the vid. So the multibaker in 3dcoat does not occlude objects if they're on separate retopo layers? That's a big time saver.

Btw I requested before to have retopo active layers not have light gray highlight. It should have yellow highlights like voxel active layers. 3dc needs to look consistent.

Am I crazy or is the Clear button missing from the Voxel menu? I was sure there used to be a button there that would delete all voxel meshes, while keeping the layers intact.

It is in the menu to the left, at the bottom (Commands/Clear). Its also accessible via the space-bar menu.

Hi there.

I encounter problems with the symmetry tool in version 3d-Coat-V35-25C1-CUDA64 and 3d-Coat-V35-25G-CUDA64.

Typing "s" on the keyboard and activating the symmetry limits the paintability of the brush in the area around the symmetry plane.

I am talking about Per Pixel painting on a standard sphere in both opengl and dx versions(with cuda, 64bit).

I've got also version 3d-Coat-V35-24-CUDA64 installed which is working fine.

Anybody got similar problems?

Regards,

Martin

post-1808-0-90396600-1318424980_thumb.jp

Hi there.

I encounter problems with the symmetry tool in version 3d-Coat-V35-25C1-CUDA64 and 3d-Coat-V35-25G-CUDA64.

Typing "s" on the keyboard and activating the symmetry limits the paintability of the brush in the area around the symmetry plane.

I am talking about Per Pixel painting on a standard sphere in both opengl and dx versions(with cuda, 64bit).

I've got also version 3d-Coat-V35-24-CUDA64 installed which is working fine.

Anybody got similar problems?

Regards,

Martin

I know 2 more peoples who experience same issue. But I can't reproduce it....

Edit: reproduced the issue.

This strange little issue is hard to describe but I've noticed with the new Sketch painting I can paint on one side of the sketch area and a sheet or line appears on the other side. This has cause some problems with my current project as the "sheet" blocks the view when you're trying to work. Here's a video showing it: http://screencast.com/t/qgHv6piBek

• Contributor

This strange little issue is hard to describe but I've noticed with the new Sketch painting I can paint on one side of the sketch area and a sheet or line appears on the other side. This has cause some problems with my current project as the "sheet" blocks the view when you're trying to work. Here's a video showing it: http://screencast.com/t/qgHv6piBek

Try expanding the reference planes

This is fixed. I have a hope to make update today.