3DCoat Forums
Andrew Shpagin

3D-Coat 3.7 updates thread

Updated to 3.7.18 (Win)

- Retopo tools got Faces extrude tool in face selection mode - http://bit.ly/MC23kz

- Other retopo improvement - automatic vert/edge/face selection in retopo select tool. Doubleclick will select connective area.

- Selection become additive. Use CTRL D or ESC or click outside the retopo mesh to deselect.

- New UI global feature - if you are changing something dragging mouse manually you may press SPACE and enter exact numerical value. Space has now double action - usually choose tool, but in tools where yo pressed mouse and drag something it allows to enter precise value. It is applied to gizmos, primitives, split ring tool in retopo room.

- Collada (dae) import-export introduced as first beta.

- Add/split,Quads may work in free space too if you attaching polygons to existing geometry.

- General retopo settings moved to Menu line to save space.

- Points&faces retopo tool got set of improvements:

(1) Possibility to assign other tool on CTRL, SHIFT, CTRL+SHIFT - http://bit.ly/NpAMYE

(2) possibility to create quads only,

(3) possibility to work in free space

- In this build there will be possibility to navigate with arrow keys, ALT+arrows and NUM + -. In may cases it is convenient. Just choose navi scheme "3D-Coat_Arrows"

- Instancing&proxy problems fixed - http://3d-coat.com/m...view.php?id=588

- Fixed retopo problem that leads to disappearing faces (rarely) after welding nearby vertices.

in so way you will get good combination of artistic "on eye" and exact tools for precise work.

- Big load of bugs from mantis fixed.

I just noticed this change "WARNING! Beta versions are limited in time to 10 Dec 2012. Then you will need to move to upcoming V4 when was this added and it kind feel wrong . thought all point updated where just that point updates with some beta some bug fixes.

I just noticed this change "WARNING! Beta versions are limited in time to 10 Dec 2012. Then you will need to move to upcoming V4 when was this added and it kind feel wrong . thought all point updated where just that point updates with some beta some bug fixes.

All point updates have been (over 4yrs now...that's a lot of free updates), but Andrew is close to releasing V4 and as you know, every software withholds certain features until an official release. For example, the average user of ZB had no access to any of the new R4 tools until the official release. Instead of doing that, Andrew is allowing these last few (Release Candidate) builds to be used for a limited time. He's trying to be graceful about it. I think he should, for the sake of clarity, name these last few builds V4 RC (Release Candidate).

If everyone has all the tools in V4, few will see a reason to upgrade anytime soon.

Thanx a lot for all the fixes!

yeah fixes and then once 4v comes out it's taken away.

Also Abnranger If this is true "All point updates have been (over 4yrs now...that's a lot of free updates)" how are they free if they are taken away at given date.

Maybe i don't understand what he means.

All i know is when i upgraded from V2 to V3 i wasn't forced and i didn't lose any updates. i upgraded when i was ready and again i lose any point updates. i just didn't get any of v3 things. So it just seems wrong now. Unless he's going to release a stable V3 with point released updates minus the v4 Beta things then i'm down with that. If not then anyone want to buy my copy of V3... only available after i know what's going on. hehe

Also Abnranger If this is true "All point updates have been (over 4yrs now...that's a lot of free updates)" how are they free if they are taken away at given date.

Do you expect you should get v4 features for free?.Im still surprised at how ungrateful people can be sometimes.Very sad, :(

Do you expect you should get v4 features for free?.Im still surprised at how ungrateful people can be sometimes.Very sad, :(

who the F said anything about getting V4 Free. what i want is not to lose my V3 point updates. If V3 has V4 features, that's not the users responsibility to monitor.

These V3.point wherever we are at , are for v3.x.x so which version am i stuck with then is what i want to know.

If V3 has V4 features, that's not the users responsibility to monitor.

3.7 is beta testing of V4 features....I think you should read first page of this thread before being rude...

You still had 3.5 for free so stop the whinning...

3.7 is beta testing of V4 features....I think you should read first page of this thread before being rude...

You still had 3.5 for free so stop the whinning...

if

that's how it read before. they where updates for V3 and dude shut your trap. i can whine all i want, that's what built this thing we call the internet. your the rude one to me and i have no problem with it. if ypu don't want to shut it, that fine. more then free to keep it coming .

I asked a question and stated, what i think is wrong. If I'm wrong then that's fine i'm happy to sell my copy then. i really don't care if this how things will be.

These V3.point wherever we are at , are for v3.x.x so which version am i stuck with then is what i want to know.

Hmmm.....I agree with you.It is not clear as 3.7.08B is still downloadable as latest stable release on main site.

Will 3.7.08B still force you to upgrade? Thats a good question,and of course that would not be fair.

Andrew,Greg ?Any words on this?

Maybe I am misreading but the very last paragraph in his statement he seems to be concerned if V3 will be non working and if he is forced to move to V4 after just getting V3.

On a separate note, Thank you very much for your hard work and dedication Pilgway! I definitely have plans of venturing to V4 as this is the most intuitive/ logical sculpting program I have used. I also really like the new face extrude option you have in your retopo set. By chance did you ever find/ solve the issue in LC that creates lots of holes in your model?

I definitely have plans of venturing to V4 as this is the most intuitive/ logical sculpting program I have used

Same here.

I asked a question and stated, what i think is wrong. If I'm wrong then that's fine i'm happy to sell my copy then. i really don't care if this how things will be.

Perfect how much ?

All i know is when i upgraded from V2 to V3 i wasn't forced and i didn't lose any updates. i upgraded when i was ready and again i lose any point updates. i just didn't get any of v3 things. So it just seems wrong now. Unless he's going to release a stable V3 with point released updates minus the v4 Beta things then i'm down with that. If not then anyone want to buy my copy of V3... only available after i know what's going on. hehe

Your aren't going to lose any builds up to this point. From what I understand, and from the sound of the statement, Andrew is just warning folks that public release of beta builds will stop on that date, and after that comes V4. Any subsequent builds will require a V4 license. So, he is just giving users a few months advanced warning.

I'm sure he will clarify things shortly.

AbnRanger it's still not really ok. I understand 3.x beta are technical preview of v4 features, but they also contain important bug fixes. And I mean fixes for functions in 3.7 (so from the 3.x cycle).

I understand the concerns of some folk here about losing access to fixed builds for the functions they use. I also understand that Andrew wants to keep functions for 4.0.

I'll buy 4.x if the polishing continues as it is since a few release anyway but I understand the concern of users without the means to buy the 4.x update while all they ask is solid 3.x functions which is for some of them only available in point releases.

I was about to make the same observation myself (phew lucky I did'nt ) :)

I seem to recall there was a kind of cutoff point around 3.7.12D ? cant remember exactly

Any way it would be better to start renaming payable upgrade versions from the beginning

as previously suggested (v4.xxx).

Btw I understand the concept of "sold as is", but going this way also means users will have the right to ask "more intensively" what can appear to be "due functionality". You have to think about that too, we had some cases of people asking kinda harshly about new functionalities (so not due), but imagine the same kind of people with what is advertised as a feature but doesn't work properly. Imho this is a dangerous path.

Time limitation is applied sice 3.7.14. There is relatively stable 3.7.08B that is widely used.

But of course if you feel it unfair, I may change policy. I don't want to force anyone.

Time limitation is applied sice 3.7.14. There is relatively stable 3.7.08B that is widely used.

Fine for me, now what about Greg pushing new users to test the latest betas for fixed bugs ? Do those users will get a free 4.x update when they find out that 3.x cycle stable release don't contains said bug fixes ? For 3.x buyers it's not really an issue, but for those still undecided in trial mode it's kinda edgy.

I'm not here to float your boat Andrew (and I don't pretend to know how) but the will to upgrade shouldn't come from some time limitation but from bug fixes and awesome new features. People rarely upgrade because they want to be able to use the program again (they'll most likely go to underground sites to fix this problem :/), they pay because the new version is so much better than the older one.

(I also imagine what'll happen with people on deadline around december using most reliable version in beta cycle, and falling short of time because the 4x release is delayed or something like that. Upgrade on a large array of machine is a pain.)

The possible solution is turning off some very new features in the manner of "Show beta tools" after given date without turning off everything.

But I agree, following development is main reason to buy V4, not time limitation. I will consider how I may improve policy in this way, so please don't worry.

The possible solution is turning off new features in the manner of "Show beta tools" after given date without turning off everything.

This would require extra effort from you but with a clear warning of what is deactivated (before it's deactivated !) this should be fair imo. Besides putting that in place right now would save you the trouble of explaining it every new cycle.

And next time don't put the time restriction visible like that, now people will expect something quickly after that... bad for business ;) (it's noble of you though)