3DCoat Forums

Error message sometimes means that you are making some mem-consuming thing, sometimes - it is simply bug. So please send bugreports, it helps me to fix such bugs.

Of course 3DC uses common virtual memory.

bug report already sent, thanks Andrew.

Hi Doug,

I was getting the same error message after continue sculpting a period of time, but I don't think my virtual memory was not enough, I guessed it's a memory leak issue.

So I launched this program then 3DC becomes more stable with it. You should try it!

Hope it helps.

akira.

Thanks, Akira, I'll give it a try. Looks like an interesting program. :-)

Cheers

Doug

I don't think Andrew has mentioned this - but in the latest version of 3D Coat the Sphere tool will now let us draw in empty space. So there's no longer any need to mess around with that draw plane on the 2D paint tool. Just select Sphere and draw your model! WOOT!

It's super cool!

yeah i saw it, i was also pleasantly suprised by it, its my nr1 tool for the moment, first i tought it was cool for eyes and such, but now its very powerfull, fast baseshapes all the way, it is also feels more free, like sketching, ... love it, thanx andrew, maybe consider it as an option for more tools.

Wow, on my laptop, I don't think I can use 3D Coat to do highly detailed voxel sculpts, and I probably don't want to, because the voxel technology doesn't allow easy tweaks at low subdive levels.

That said, for roughing in heads, bodies, etc, it is AWESOME. A demon head with horns took all of ten minutes.

Interesting... I finally got around to installing the alpha on my laptop and everything works perfectly as far as I could tell. The only weird things is that normal rendering stops at 320 rays. 32 bit rendering just keeps going forever, or at least until 2000 or something when I manually stopped it. Of course rendering was a little slower but that's to be expected.

Oh wait a minute, it normally stops at 320 rays for non 32 (16?) bit. Well then it works perfectly aside from the expected slow down.

• Advanced Member
Hi

What is the status of the pose tools will these be implemented in the polygon mode or voxel mode?

I'm no expert, but I think I can safely say that any form of posing/bending will have to be done in a surface mode. But the mode will probably be invisible to the user. So you select your posing tool and 3D Coat will sneak into surface mode. Then later if you select a voxel sculpting tool then it'll switch back to voxel mode.

For the most part, the mode shouldn't concern the user. But I do think that eventually there'll need to be a detailing mode that works on surfaces and if you wish to go back to voxel mode then your details will be stored in a displacement map before dropping to a voxel friendly detail level. Then later when you go back to detailing mode the displacement map can be reapplied to your object.

Well that's just one possibility, but I'm sure Andrew has other ideas too!. :)

I was thinking just now, there's a lot of discussion of painting directly on the VS model, but from what I understand it has to paint on an image, therefore a UV map has to be made. It doesn't seem very plausible to me to make a UV map for a 9 million (or whatever) triangle model. For one thing it wouldn't match any final export you do.

For deformation based on transpose the key is for the deformer to know the volumes surface parameters

when influencing deformation.

Currently Zbrush rigging system can not do this. For example if you rig a arm to close to the torso

when you move the arm the torso will deform also. If 3D coat had a better implementation of this

it would start to make 3D Coat more advanced than Zbrush when you add in Voxel modeling.

Because from this an true smart rigging sytem could be built at a later point.

post-1084-1223914980_thumb.jpg

I have updated the link to V28. Not much changes because most of the day I was busy by service update.

I have fixed critical bugs, add "double sided" to 2d-paint, "Start form first point" in sphere tool.

One note about "Merge into scene" in retopo tool (to Juan at first) - it is better to choose resolution that is only slightly (10%) more then voxels resolution.

I was thinking just now, there's a lot of discussion of painting directly on the VS model, but from what I understand it has to paint on an image, therefore a UV map has to be made. It doesn't seem very plausible to me to make a UV map for a 9 million (or whatever) triangle model. For one thing it wouldn't match any final export you do.

correct, there's no way you could create uvs for the mesh, because it's dynamic. as soon as you change the volume in any way the mesh is completely different.

for painting on voxel sculpt, it would have to be a system like polypaint in zbrush. except instead of each polygon containing a color, each cell in the voxel grid would contain a color and the display mesh would simply inherit that. that way you could at least rough in color, and if your sculpt were dense enough you could probably get fairly detailed. then when you retopologize over the sculpt, you would need some way of projecting the paint along with the mesh details onto your new topology and it's uvs.

• Advanced Member
I have updated the link to V28. Not much changes because most of the day I was busy by service update.

I have fixed critical bugs, add "double sided" to 2d-paint, "Start form first point" in sphere tool.

One note about "Merge into scene" in retopo tool (to Juan at first) - it is better to choose resolution that is only slightly (10%) more then voxels resolution.

The change for these two tools are really great. I really like Start From first point it solve a flaw of the sphere tool when you tried to move the brush outward of the surface.

Is it possible to have two extra options where the direction of the stroke is base on the normal of the surface directly under the center of the tool, and an other one where it is the average of the normal of the surface cover by the brush radius?

• Advanced Member

Every two updates on windows= one update on osx, so i wait... :rolleyes:

-TOXE

• Advanced Member
:lol: :lol: yeh or wait for OS XXXI - with 100% windows emulation no doubt

Eheh, Maggot, with Bootcamp you can use Windows as main system (and startup disk), it's not an emulation...

-TOXE

• Advanced Member

Great, this update fixes the "merge into scene" crash I was getting when I did it twice.

It really highlights the need for an "delete polygon object" function though, otherwise you'll get some pretty bloated scenes if you need to alter the retopology mesh.

I'll just have to remember to save a copy before I hit 'merge' in the mean time :lol:

Great, this update fixes the "merge into scene" crash I was getting when I did it twice.

It really highlights the need for an "delete polygon object" function though, otherwise you'll get some pretty bloated scenes if you need to alter the retopology mesh.

I'll just have to remember to save a copy before I hit 'merge' in the mean time :lol:

There is View->Popups->Object list/Materials list

There you can delete object