3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, Henry Townshend said:

OMG, thanks for asking this. I just realized not long ago I enabled "touch" on my Wacom tablet to be able to zoom without mouse in some things like Unity Inspector and Substance Designer graph view. I will disable it now and see if the problem disappears.

However, I'm fairly certain it was also there before I started working with touch enabled. But I'm not 100% sure. Crossing fingers. Thanks!

Unfortunately this was not the solution @Carlosan. It still happens, so it is not the Touch setting on my Wacom. Pity.

What I noticed, but could be wrong also, when I use the "Smooth All" function, it sometimes happens right after hitting my hotkey for it, which is "ALT+S". Otherwise, I'm out of ideas and hope this can be addressed. 3D Coat really starts get in into the way of getting stuff done due to this for me, which is sad, as it is usually the opposite.

I don't hink recording a video would help here. What happens is just that the camera is offset far away, and once it is, when I hit SHIFT+A, it snaps back. However, from that point on, it will offset again and again, seemingly randomly after a few seconds.

• Confused 1

• Advanced Member

Every time you adjust the brush, you need to draw on the model for experimentation, which sometimes damages the model.

If you add a brush preview window on the right and randomly draw a brush, you will know the current brush status, which is more user-friendly

yulan.jpg

• Advanced Member

hello.  probably this is an issue.

When symmetry is on, Pose tool of brush paint have crack.

please watch this mp4.

Thank you very much for your every time bug fixes.

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Thanks for all the updates.
I would just like to suggest other improvements for the future.

A command to reverse the selection would be useful when you use ctrl+shift freeze/mask. For example, ctrl+left click or double click on the empty canvas space to invert selection. For me it’s not a big deal because I have the shift+A shortcut to reverse the mask (only in trasform)
But it would be more elegant to complete the default command package also with ''invert'' (and possibly hide commands).

All these masking controls are activated automatically when you use 'pose' tool. :good2:But it would be useful to activate them automatically with the 'transform' tool too.
Now the freeze mask disappears when I activate ''transform', and this is a counter sense. If I want to move the selection I am forced to use the pose tool.

If you use gizmo, in transform and pose tool, it would be extraordinarily convenient to have at least the main commands on dedicated gestural shortcuts, for example: ctrl+shift= reset axis; and also shortcuts to center mass, to main axis.
I dream in 3DCoat the logical and practical unification of all these little things, that make the workflow modeling more fluid and faster. The basic concept is to use as little as possible the tool’s options menu, in favor of intuitive shortcuts, as is trendy in mobile apps.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2023 at 11:58 AM, Carlosan said:

With the cursor mouse pointing the command press the END keyboard key.

That action let you to change the shortkey for another one.

image.png

I can change it but if I delete it and save it at null.. after reopening the 3dcoat back to the 'S' shortcut XD... this is, I think top of some 'mountain bug' in the 3dcoat shortcut system.

image.png.a3d7b5086c6567976c0e6b7a5898409d.png

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rubeos said:

Thanks for all the updates.
I would just like to suggest other improvements for the future.

A command to reverse the selection would be useful when you use ctrl+shift freeze/mask. For example, ctrl+left click or double click on the empty canvas space to invert selection. For me it’s not a big deal because I have the shift+A shortcut to reverse the mask (only in trasform)
But it would be more elegant to complete the default command package also with ''invert'' (and possibly hide commands).

All these masking controls are activated automatically when you use 'pose' tool. :good2:But it would be useful to activate them automatically with the 'transform' tool too.
Now the freeze mask disappears when I activate ''transform', and this is a counter sense. If I want to move the selection I am forced to use the pose tool.

If you use gizmo, in transform and pose tool, it would be extraordinarily convenient to have at least the main commands on dedicated gestural shortcuts, for example: ctrl+shift= reset axis; and also shortcuts to center mass, to main axis.
I dream in 3DCoat the logical and practical unification of all these little things, that make the workflow modeling more fluid and faster. The basic concept is to use as little as possible the tool’s options menu, in favor of intuitive shortcuts, as is trendy in mobile apps.

It would be great if you all could reach out to these guy and see if you can help them. gather a ton of shortcuts for 3dcoat! - Get the advanced folks here to find the best most used ones.  The setup for zbrush is pretty nice.  Streamdeck is a great tool for not needing to remember shortcuts but have them a button press away

https://www.sideshowfx.net/products

• Like 1

• Contributor

In ptex mode, Wacom doesn't work, it shows symmetry or clone like effect when I click to paint. I switched to windowsink in preferences and that works, I just now switched back to wacom and now it's working. Maybe all these tools should internally have a quick toggle off and on/switch and or to another device and back if this keeps happening? Some of these issues may just be related to GPU wakeup because I (and others) have similar uses having to toggle cloth/rigid physics in iClone/CC4 in order to get it working or reset it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Ascensi said:

In ptex mode, Wacom doesn't work, it shows symmetry or clone like effect when I click to paint. I switched to windowsink in preferences and that works, I just now switched back to wacom and now it's working. Maybe all these tools should internally have a quick toggle off and on/switch and or to another device and back if this keeps happening? Some of these issues may just be related to GPU wakeup because I (and others) have similar uses having to toggle cloth/rigid physics in iClone/CC4 in order to get it working or reset it.

Glad i’m not the only one that likes and wants to use  PTEX!

• Contributor
17 hours ago, illuminated Reality Studio said:

Glad i’m not the only one that likes and wants to use  PTEX!

I initially responded by saying it works well with painting and baking AO but had issues with the ptex export process, the model I used to test the scaled and exported textures with displacement may have been from a previous export so I'll have to test a fresh project. Overall I wish there was a ptex workflow video tutorial working with displacement, exporting etc to get up to speed. 

Edited by Ascensi
Post might be a mistake, still testing ptex
  • Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Hey, I have this problem now for some time. I would love to be able to use 3D Coats cloth sim, I think it works and feels great, despite sadly the lack of self collision (which I would really love to see added, as the meshes interpenetrate themselves all the time).

Most of the time, I would like to use it picking my existing Volume rather than the default square it opens with. However, the behaviour is never as expected, as the cloth object gets duplicated and the source object stays in place, interfering with the collision. The expected behaviour would be that the current picked Volume becomes the cloth object, not some additional object.

This makes it really hard to use this tool, and it has so much potential as another cool feature for the sculpting process. I just ditched ZBrush for sculpting entirely, terminating my subscription, due to the awesomeness of 3D Coat. However, I could work with cloth flawlessly in ZBrush during sculpting, and if only this "double object" problem would be fixed this would enable me to also use cloth sim during sculpting in 3D Coat as well.

I have seen a Podcast with Jama Jubarev where he uses the Cloth tool in an older version of 3D Coat, and it worked exactly as expected, no unwanted object duplication when he picked his current Volume as cloth object. Unfortunately, I can't find the video anymore. However, I highly assume that this is a problem that may got introduced somewhere. I would deeply appreciate if this could get fixed, and maybe even self collision be considered to be added, which is also present in ZBrush, and Blender, enabling the user to prevent creating a self intersection mesh he often can not salvage.

Please see this video to see what I mean about unwanted cloth object duplication (you can also see the result of self penetration on the borders of the resulting cloth):

Edited by Henry Townshend
typo-explain
  • Confused 1

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Sorry but... How exactly Live Addition works ? :huh:

Carlosan, I can see there are only three voices for live booleans: subtraction, intersection and none.

Why there's no addition? It should fuse the voxels in that layer to the other layer, so all the other boolean operations can work on that.

For example, here you can see a simple scene: there are three cubes, the main one (1), the wider one (2) and the one used for subtraction (3). The subtraction works only with the main cube, not the wider one.

Or I missing something about live booleans, and that's ok and I hope someone will explain me that, or, I think, we need the live addition boolean, so we will have the three basic boolean operations like other softwares.

But then again, what am I missing here?

Thanks

2023-10-13_10-36.png

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Sorry but it is working fine from my side

Try Edit > Resete to default settings, Hope it help
image.png

Ok, so, when creating a new scene for voxel, only the spheres are created on the fly, while selecting cube or cylinder makes a new scene with the primitive tool on.
Alright, didn't know that, I was expecting the geometry already there. No problem, then.

Pick and Past show up on surface mode.. not on voxel  ..should because it's not on my vanilla clean new instal..

and second one I can't install my older brushpacks if ther above 100mb  ..[instal as extension]

• Advanced Member

When importing the surface mode of the model, its four sided faces and UV attributes should be retained, so that after subdivision and reduction, the UV and four sided faces will not be lost,
Otherwise, in the current state, after importing the surface mode, all will be converted to triangular faces and all UVs will be deleted, which greatly weakens the powerful carving function of 3dcoat,
I hope it can be imported without losing the UV, without the need to enter a re topology room, even if only carving without subdivision is possible

模型导入表面模式,应该保留其四边面,uv属性,这样细分和减面之后,uv和四边面不会丢就好了,
否则目前的状态,导入表面模式后,所有转为三角面,并删除全部uv,这就大大削弱了3dcoat强大的雕刻功能了,
希望可以导入,不丢失uv,不需要进入重拓扑房间,哪怕只雕刻不细分都可以

QQ截图20231014130707.jpg

• Advanced Member
On 10/13/2023 at 9:45 AM, Henry Townshend said:

Hey, I have this problem now for some time. I would love to be able to use 3D Coats cloth sim, I think it works and feels great, despite sadly the lack of self collision (which I would really love to see added, as the meshes interpenetrate themselves all the time).

Most of the time, I would like to use it picking my existing Volume rather than the default square it opens with. However, the behaviour is never as expected, as the cloth object gets duplicated and the source object stays in place, interfering with the collision. The expected behaviour would be that the current picked Volume becomes the cloth object, not some additional object.

This makes it really hard to use this tool, and it has so much potential as another cool feature for the sculpting process. I just ditched ZBrush for sculpting entirely, terminating my subscription, due to the awesomeness of 3D Coat. However, I could work with cloth flawlessly in ZBrush during sculpting, and if only this "double object" problem would be fixed this would enable me to also use cloth sim during sculpting in 3D Coat as well.

I have seen a Podcast with Jama Jubarev where he uses the Cloth tool in an older version of 3D Coat, and it worked exactly as expected, no unwanted object duplication when he picked his current Volume as cloth object. Unfortunately, I can't find the video anymore. However, I highly assume that this is a problem that may got introduced somewhere. I would deeply appreciate if this could get fixed, and maybe even self collision be considered to be added, which is also present in ZBrush, and Blender, enabling the user to prevent creating a self intersection mesh he often can not salvage.

Please see this video to see what I mean about unwanted cloth object duplication (you can also see the result of self penetration on the borders of the resulting cloth):

Sorry for bumping on this, but it feels kinda dis-satisfactory to only get "confused" smiley reactions on the forums lately when reporting something.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Will something may be done about it? Cloth Sim is a pretty important part of workflow nowadays, and Blender and ZBrush offer it. I would really like to be able to utilize an already existing cloth tool in 3D Coat. If "Pick Volume" -> "Start" would work without the unwanted remnant duplicate of the current object influencing collision, that would be awesome.

• Advanced Member
16 minutes ago, Henry Townshend said:

Sorry for bumping on this, but it feels kinda dis-satisfactory to only get "confused" smiley reactions on the forums lately when reporting something.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Will something may be done about it? Cloth Sim is a pretty important part of workflow nowadays, and Blender and ZBrush offer it. I would really like to be able to utilize an already existing cloth tool in 3D Coat. If "Pick Volume" -> "Start" would work without the unwanted remnant duplicate of the current object influencing collision, that would be awesome.

imagine it like this .. 3DC piles lots of great features but once they are added they arent perfected .. for example the mesh to nurbs or nurbs modeller thing that nobody uses or will ever use was added ... but thats all its done ... the photogrammetry was added and no work will be done ... theres tons of modelling fixes we need .. tons of paint room features and bugs that need adding and fixing .. a ui that needs updating and simplifying .. sculpting bugs that weve had for many years .. but silver lining is they do fix it and do perfect some things .. they are a small team that currently work at home and they are providing a great product so stick with them ... they are trying

• Like 1

@Henry Townshend All issues were reported, If you like a direct response please contact support@3dcoat.com

Thanks

//Sidenote:

The dev team is working on his own agenda, and each problem is tested and -depending on severity- solved as soon as possible.

Crashes or problems that affect the use of the software take priority.

About malfunctions of the tools: It depends on the number of users affected, that is why it is important to send mails reports to support, if more users report the same it the issue increases in popularity and is prioritized on the agenda.

• Like 2

• Advanced Member

Throwing shadow function, currently the light and shadow look very awkward. When the light comes from behind, the light and shadow effect is completely invisible. If it were a similar rendered light and shadow, it would be great

QQ截图20231017195612.jpg

QQ截图20231017195631.jpg

• Haha 1

• Advanced Member
18 hours ago, Carlosan said:

@Henry Townshend All issues were reported, If you like a direct response please contact support@3dcoat.com

Thanks

//Sidenote:

The dev team is working on his own agenda, and each problem is tested and -depending on severity- solved as soon as possible.

Crashes or problems that affect the use of the software take priority.

About malfunctions of the tools: It depends on the number of users affected, that is why it is important to send mails reports to support, if more users report the same it the issue increases in popularity and is prioritized on the agenda.

Thanks for the responses @Elemeno and @Carlosan . I def. stick to 3D Coat, as I love it. I seldom have any severe issues other than the functional ones I post here. I don't have any problems with the Software in general, like many other frequently ranting users here do. Just want to clarify this: I am not joining the eternal 3D Coat global workflow or UI complaints club.

I just thought this was a support forum. So getting no answer to if something was recognized as issue or not, can be very frustrating for an experienced user, who takes his time (subtracting from his own work) to not only hint at these problems, as in "dis broken, please fix", but also tries to clearly describe them and record them, also trying to make sure it's not on my end. Hence, why I bumped this. It was the second post of mine with a somewhat urgent problem that went without any sign of being registered or replied to.

I get that it's a small team, but that has nothing to do with the quality of Support on these forums.

The least I think would be not over the top to expect would be a signal of these issues I'm experiencing and reporting here being registered and valid. Nothing to do with the software team, at all. They are doing an incredible job imo. It's more like me trying to guess if it was worth spending my time reporting something clearly and in detail here. I totally also get that issues being ironed out by priority. But again, this has nothing to do with support not answering and confirming users who take their time to report.

I was totally unaware that reporting issues here is basically in vain in terms of generating priority, and that email is the only way to being registered more vehemently. I always assumed gathering and propagating these would be part of Support instead of the users responsibility.

I had issues reported here in the past that where fixed immediately in the next version, so please pardon my confusion. I will in future stick to email then and avoid using the forums. Thanks for the hint.

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic