3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• Reputable Contributor
On 6/17/2023 at 10:08 AM, zf3d said:

Although there are currently agents and similar FFD lattice adjustments, sometimes I still think of using polygons to adjust the model. If low modes are used to drive high modes, and low modes are automatically generated, it would be great because sometimes, mobile tools, FFD, and agents cannot achieve efficient large-scale object movement,
Relatively speaking, I hope to learn from the advantages of polygons and implement methods similar to point deformation in Houdini. I believe in the strength of implementing 3dcoat

QQ截图20230617160554.jpg

There already exists something a bit like this in 3DCoat. It is in the Retopo/Modeling Room, called LIVE SMOOTH. It is somewhat like the reverse of the "Conform Retopo Mesh" feature in the Sculpt workspace, where 3DCoat conforms changes done in one room, to the mesh in the other one. It works quite well, actually, but unfortunately, it doesn't work both ways...not yet. I asked Andrew if he would enable this functionality.

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

There already exists something a bit like this in 3DCoat. It is in the Retopo/Modeling Room, called LIVE SMOOTH. It is somewhat like the reverse of the "Conform Retopo Mesh" feature in the Sculpt workspace, where 3DCoat conforms changes done in one room, to the mesh in the other one. It works quite well, actually, but unfortunately, it doesn't work both ways...not yet. I asked Andrew if he would enable this functionality.

I think he means a lattice tool to use a simple mesh to manipulate the high poly sculpt

Edited by Elemeno
  • Like 1

• Advanced Member
4 hours ago, Elemeno said:

我认为他的意思是使用一个简单的网格来操纵高多边形造型的晶格工具

Sì, lascia che ti spieghi il processo che voglio
Creare alcuni semplici reticoli di superficie, come la creazione di diversi poligoni sulla superficie e lo spessore dell'estrusione
2. Modificare le superfici di alta precisione spostando il reticolo
3 deformazioni di punti simili a Houdini, con ogni punto che controlla un'area spaziale
Il reticolo creato da 4 può essere cancellato e ricreato, senza forte connessione al modello originale

QQ截图20230620092301.jpg

• Advanced Member

I have referred to Houdini's interface and added a few suggestions for the 3dcoat interface. Please refer to the following figure, not to plagiarize, but to learn from and absorb the advantages
At present, it is better to add a slider to the small arrows on both sides of the text, which is more intuitive. You can refer to Houdini's slider and modify it appropriately
The down arrow of the 2 folders is slightly highlighted and can be expanded when highlighted. Currently, the color is average and not prominent
There is a difference between expanding a folder and not expanding it, and it is currently unclear whether it is expanded or not
2. The folder is placed to the left and the options are centered, making it easier to distinguish the order relationship. Currently, the option is placed to the left and the folder is centered, so the relationship seems to be reversed
3. The area where numbers can be entered, with darker and uniform colors, currently the radio button is not obvious
Finally: The folder method below is for backup purposes and can be used as a reference. Compared to the sequential method, it is clearer and can be used as a backup

QQ截图20230620093407.jpg

• Contributor

Build 2023.22 Having some trouble with combinations of the following options

image.png.d35b49e5da727e30d974c07aa3d85719.png
image.png.c784abee818bbe0015a3c33dce3b1d6c.png
image.thumb.png.daa9418c0a6f5bc7585e4962f2055454.png

I'm having a problem with import .3b in Sculpt room, the RMB context of the VoxTree

I am also having a problem if I use the "Save Volume" for only one object, and trying to re-import it

Trying to "open" normally a .3b which was saved as volume from tree: It ostensibly loads a bit of the way there but 3DCoat crashes and shuts down completely without any prompt for sending crash reports
Same with trying to "import" a .3b which was saved from tree

saving and loading scenes normally (save as, .3b / open .3b) work completely fine

Could anybody test to confirm?
- ~6million point mesh with some textures on layers

Addendum: I had a problem previously in earlier 2023 or late 2022 build, "Save volume" to .3b of a painted mesh or sub tree, importing it again would only get parts of the textures, maybe it is related. It was OK for a while.

Workaround I have is is to simply make duplicate of scenes, erase all other objects except the one saved
and merge textures

• Advanced Member
27 minutes ago, poeboi said:

Build 2023.22 Having some trouble with combinations of the following options

image.png.d35b49e5da727e30d974c07aa3d85719.png
image.png.c784abee818bbe0015a3c33dce3b1d6c.png
image.thumb.png.daa9418c0a6f5bc7585e4962f2055454.png

I'm having a problem with import .3b in Sculpt room, the RMB context of the VoxTree

I am also having a problem if I use the "Save Volume" for only one object, and trying to re-import it

Trying to "open" normally a .3b which was saved as volume from tree: It ostensibly loads a bit of the way there but 3DCoat crashes and shuts down completely without any prompt for sending crash reports
Same with trying to "import" a .3b which was saved from tree

saving and loading scenes normally (save as, .3b / open .3b) work completely fine

Could anybody test to confirm?
- ~6million point mesh with some textures on layers

Addendum: I had a problem previously in earlier 2023 or late 2022 build, "Save volume" to .3b of a painted mesh or sub tree, importing it again would only get parts of the textures, maybe it is related. It was OK for a while.

Workaround I have is is to simply make duplicate of scenes, erase all other objects except the one saved
and merge textures

saving the volume worked fine , im always imported perfectly too.. but it doesnt save information like paint but other than that it works fine also the mesh was 8.5 million

• Thanks 1

• Contributor
32 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

saving the volume worked fine , im always imported perfectly too.. but it doesnt save information like paint but other than that it works fine also the mesh was 8.5 million

Thanks!
the problem is probably on my end then, I think I'll refresh my installation at some point when it is convenient

but I do believe I have been able to save as .3b with sculpt room paint before and import it painted as well 

• Reputable Contributor
18 hours ago, Elemeno said:

I think he means a lattice tool to use a simple mesh to manipulate the high poly sculpt

Ahhh, okay. I thought the idea was something like GBall's request to use a low poly mesh to drive the high poly (deformations), especially now that the Retopo/Modeling room has soft selection.

• Contributor
36 minutes ago, Oleg_Shapo said:

image.png

Does using this command cause a crash?

With some further testing, it works fine (Save Volume as 3B, Save Volumew/ Sub-Tree.. + import) if I make new models and paint them from scratch.
I think the trouble is with one of my scenes and models in that particular scene, they are only ones that cause crash if I export and re-import them.
Cannot share those scenes as it stands but will report if I can reproduce this problem start to finish somehow

• Like 1

• Contributor

This is something else I wanted to report, it is a bit hard to explain so I include a video as well

Using subdivide surface tool to get more res in only one area, when ressing up a few steps there appears some strange artifact
but it seems like the artifact is "fake" because 1 stroke of smooth it disappears

but when painting depth on a layer it constantly appears and reappears, toggling depth % of layer it will disappear but then reappear

the reason I want a lot of res in one area is for more detail there when its OK rest of model is not as high res, or it becomes a lot to work with

(sorry about the duration!) 

• Haha 1

• Advanced Member
2 hours ago, poeboi said:

This is something else I wanted to report, it is a bit hard to explain so I include a video as well

Using subdivide surface tool to get more res in only one area, when ressing up a few steps there appears some strange artifact
but it seems like the artifact is "fake" because 1 stroke of smooth it disappears

but when painting depth on a layer it constantly appears and reappears, toggling depth % of layer it will disappear but then reappear

the reason I want a lot of res in one area is for more detail there when its OK rest of model is not as high res, or it becomes a lot to work with

(sorry about the duration!) 

looks to me like when the faces of the mesh get so small... they just delete themselves...  i went to 60 million and its all gone lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Contributor

For Voxel surface, freezing and changing to move tool like this,
it works great in surface no problem, in Voxel mode it loses the mask after one move operation
I forget if it used to work better in earlier builds
it offers a lot of control, would be very thankful if it can work like this 

• Like 1

• Advanced Member
1 hour ago, poeboi said:

it works great in surface no problem, in Voxel mode it loses the mask after one move operation

you cant freeze in voxels ... freeze is a surface tool brought over

• Like 1

5 hours ago, poeboi said:

To mantein the mask, you can uncheck this option in your brush settings. But I hope the freeze tool can work by default in voxel mode. image.png.5b106293de3a422c4846bd41387c0476.png

• Like 1

• Reputable Contributor
1 hour ago, MJonathan said:

To mantein the mask, you can uncheck this option in your brush settings. But I hope the freeze tool can work by default in voxel mode. image.png.5b106293de3a422c4846bd41387c0476.png

As Elemeno said, you cannot freeze/mask Voxels....yet. Andrew said he planned to look at ways it can be implemented, especially now that Voxel Paint has been developed. So, if it is important to you, make sure to send your feature request for true Freeze masking in Voxels to support@pilgway.com

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Advanced Member

I hope to strengthen polygon modeling,
The best polygon modeling currently used is Blender
Although 3dcoat polygons can be achieved, I still cannot combine them well and it is not easy to handle. I hope to adjust it to make it more convenient, which can greatly improve the adaptability of 3dcoat. If I can replace Blender polygons, it will be very strong and strong

QQ截图20230707185153.jpg

• Reputable Contributor
17 hours ago, Elemeno said:

retopo tools arent working properly?

if you zoom in close ... they just dont work... so many variables with this software...

Some of this has to do with scale, and I had the very same issue in 3ds Max, for the longest time. Models of very small scale have camera clipping issues. I had this exact problem on a recent model I imported from 3DS Max and after scaling the entire scene up considerably, the problem pretty much went away.

• Advanced Member
4 minutes ago, AbnRanger said:

Some of this has to do with scale, and I had the very same issue in 3ds Max, for the longest time. Models of very small scale have camera clipping issues. I had this exact problem on a recent model I imported from 3DS Max and after scaling the entire scene up considerably, the problem pretty much went away.

i shall give this a shot thank you

• Advanced Member
10 hours ago, AbnRanger said:

works better thank you, point to polygon isnt working as expected, it tries to attach to any other vertice except the ones you actually want lol.... most of the time it works nice..

• Advanced Member
On 2023/7/7 at PM7点24分, Gorbatovsky said:

如果您能制作一个简短的视频来展示 Blender 的一些强大技巧,我将不胜感激。

link: https://pan.baidu.com/s/17bLFYBMxA2krV_PZc9zLYg?pwd=xtk9 key: xtk9

Main useful features:
1 extrusion point, extrusion line
2 chamfers, adjustable chamfer edges with rollers
3 circular cutting, which can increase or decrease the number of circular cutting edges
4 merging points, welding points are more convenient
5 movement, rotation, scaling, normal movement, and soft selection size can be adjusted by combining the scroll wheel
Moving along the normal is good for scaling

• Advanced Member
6 hours ago, zf3d said:

link: https://pan.baidu.com/s/17bLFYBMxA2krV_PZc9zLYg?pwd=xtk9 key: xtk9

Main useful features:
1 extrusion point, extrusion line
2 chamfers, adjustable chamfer edges with rollers
3 circular cutting, which can increase or decrease the number of circular cutting edges
4 merging points, welding points are more convenient
5 movement, rotation, scaling, normal movement, and soft selection size can be adjusted by combining the scroll wheel
Moving along the normal is good for scaling

you know... i dont touch on the poly modelling side much ... but you can do all this in 3dcoat... the ui isnt great nor is the hotkeys dedicated for any workflow ... but if you look for it you will find it .

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Carlosan pinned this topic