3DCoat Forums

3DCoat 2024 development thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

Anyone know why this happens? If I paint in one area, it paints in another area at the same time? UVs are not overlapped and the brush size is small and not to close to the area. Here is an example. If I paint on the size, the painting is also displayed in the eye socket. I've tried this in PPP mode and vertex mode. I've also tried this in Zbrush, Zbrush has no problem.  In 3DCoat, I am also not using "project through"

Screenshot 2023-12-15 082322.png

Edited by Ascensi

• Contributor
29 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

any UV island outside the UV layout ?

No, all within the UDIM blocks (7 horizontal)

In Zbrush it looks like this, not a single cross over to the eye socket. 

I used to have this kind of problem with native Reallusion Characters, painting would happen in multiple locations but I haven't tried it since.  I'll have to use a different painting app if I can't get past this, and I'd rather not.  I'll share my model with Andrew to see if he can find the problem.

image.thumb.png.2631d4692a0659f2ab15be22411af8ea.png

Edited by Ascensi
update

• Contributor
43 minutes ago, Carlosan said:

If it is character creator models, remember that use multi materials workflow and all the UVs share the same UV space.
Try importing it as multiple UV sets.

I do choose "treat as separate materials".  Do you mean that "import tiles as UV sets" is supposed to be checked???  they aren't supposed to be tiling textures so that name would be confusing to use. If it said import as UDIM UV sets, that would make more sense.  Is "treat as separate materials what you meant?

ok so I just used import tiles as UV sets" that seemed to work. Maybe we can get that name changed as "tiling" commonly is associated with tiling textures. Either import UV tiles as clamped UVs or import as UDIM UV sets would be more intuitive.

Thanks for your help Carlosan!

Edited by Ascensi
  • Thanks 1

• Contributor

I have a problem with a UDIM mesh Export from 3DCoat v 23.40 initially created in RisomUV, brought in 3DCoat.  I've painted with no problem but the export destroys the UDIM.

I created the 3DCoat project with "Import Tiles as UV Sets" and "treat materials as separate textures"  but when I export, it merges some UVs within Reallusion's character creator, and when imported into RizomUV it pops up with the warning  as seen in the attached image and won't even import back into RizomUV.

The UVs already had unique names and I also uniquely renamed the materials but the result is the same.

Maybe this is a bug? 

RisomUV warning.jpg

Edited by Ascensi

• Contributor
3 hours ago, Carlosan said:

Could be, please send the model to Andrew to take a look.

Not sure what it was, but I resolved my issue. I think after renaming the UVs/surface materials in 3DCoat, when I imported back into zbrush, somehow the UVs got messed up. Zbrush was throwing some weird glitches with UVs that I noticed later but it was a corrupted exported from zbrush and later examined in Character Creator and RizomUV. It might be material name length, zbrush bug or  something else maybe created by 3DCoat, but anyway it's resolved.

• Confused 1

• Advanced Member
On 12/18/2023 at 1:01 PM, Boozer said:

This is why I'll not renew my licence :D :D :D. Andrew is trying to implement funky stuff but the core of the software is broken. Attachment is after using the split tool and then move. I give up:

splitmove.jpg

i know.... freeze dont work with voxels , freeze messes up alot , meshes end up destroyed and unrepairable ...

certain brushes give off wrong results ... alot of 3dcoat doesnt work properly

but stick with these guys ... they offer perpetual licenses, they work super hard and are always engaging with the community ..

they work through alot of bugs and prioritise the worst ...

hopefully the team can fix alot of stability issues and focus on community wishes 

• Like 2

• Advanced Member
13 hours ago, Elemeno said:

i know.... freeze dont work with voxels , freeze messes up alot , meshes end up destroyed and unrepairable ...

certain brushes give off wrong results ... alot of 3dcoat doesnt work properly

but stick with these guys ... they offer perpetual licenses, they work super hard and are always engaging with the community ..

they work through alot of bugs and prioritise the worst ...

hopefully the team can fix alot of stability issues and focus on community wishes 

Out of pure curiosity , can you elaborate on brushes not working etc? My experience is that the latest is that latest version are quite stable actually.

• Advanced Member
14 hours ago, micro26 said:

Out of pure curiosity , can you elaborate on brushes not working etc? My experience is that the latest is that latest version are quite stable actually.

like the flat polish , its design was to work so that edges are preserved alot like scrap and Hpolish does ... this however has a tendency to take chunks out of the mesh an not keep and edge flow 

pose tool has certain features missing that you need to change for example the box select wont have a strength editor but line tool does ... do you need to edit it an then go back to box select 

but its only silly things ... nothing serious , nothing thats going to ruin anyones experience thats what i meant by it , the devs work super hard to work these kinks out ... 

just praying 2024 comes with surface mode quad topology :D  

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

for 3dcoat 2024 can we please dedicate some time to the surface mode ...

maybe incorporate modelling tools inside the sculpt room , quad topology , the ability to remesh and have an edge flow that is destroyed , 

i would love to keep my workflow inside 3dcoat all the time , unfortunately i move between coat and zbrush ... i would love to use only one

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 8:11 PM, Elemeno said:

I've been sticking with these guys for a very long time now. And then got Banned :D

I think this software is designed to fool the uninformed new users and take their money before they figure out 3dc is useless by itself. 

21 minutes ago, Boozer said:

I think this software is designed to fool the uninformed new users and take their money before they figure out 3dc is useless by itself. 

The Pilgway company is a customer-oriented company where you will always get your money back if the program is not suitable for you. But there were only a few such cases.

• Advanced Member
9 hours ago, Boozer said:

I've been sticking with these guys for a very long time now. And then got Banned :D

They have demo version to test and try , also multiple option to buy or rent to buy etc so its a bit harsh comment. Don't see any reason why you cant use it to in pair with other apps, has plenty of nice features. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Advanced Member

i wonder if someone can help me , when i use the move tool and have symmetry on a sphere it wont meet in the middle ... it will pull two separate spikes away from the mesh instead of a single spike like all over sculpting software does ...

any way to change this?

• Advanced Member
12 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

i wonder if someone can help me , when i use the move tool and have symmetry on a sphere it wont meet in the middle ... it will pull two separate spikes away from the mesh instead of a single spike like all over sculpting software does ...

any way to change this?

dont worry sorted it

• Like 1

• Advanced Member

Happy new year and thanks for the new 2024 version.

I saw in the new version, as well as in the previous one, that if you click Shapes > Default it will duplicate the shapes in the list and it will go on every time you click Default: would it be possible to investigate that?

Thank you.

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member
Posted (edited)

Ok, yeap, could you please check the shapes panel?

Not sure if it's only me, but I've just created my library and imported one eps file, but if I click between Default and my shapes group, it's confusing as it will show Default shapes under the new one.

image.thumb.png.0af9fdaa055359853f7abed27270cc62.png

Edited by thinkinmonkey

• Carlosan pinned and unpinned this topic
  • Advanced Member

Playing around with 2024 and... sadly, Flat Shading is still broken, brush presets still doesn't store Brush Rotation, brushing is still weird(sticky cursor/hangs for a sec) with complexe models(many elements/subtools), also some issues with 3dconnexion device in orthographic view(conflict with a mouse?).

• Carlosan changed the title to 3DCoat 2024 suggestions
  • Carlosan pinned this topic
  • Reputable Contributor
15 hours ago, Carlosan said:

For v2024 suggestions follow the link below

Please keep using this thread for bug reports.

Thanks

Speaking of bugs....one that I have noticed for years and reported to Andrew multiple times (but he cannot seem to reproduce on his side), is baking Occlusion on a dense/heavy Sculpt Object. It freezes viewport performance on my system, to where the FPS is virtually 1 or so. To restore viewport performance, I have to restart the application. Does anyone else experience this problem?

• Thanks 1

• Advanced Member

Never mind!

Just discovered the menu on top and chosen "Ghosted: Act But Don't pick"

Sorry

When using booleans and the layer is ghosted, I cannot use the Cut Off tool.

The voxels are ghosted, but no operation of Cut Off:

image.thumb.png.d19d34b56d057468a4de08929a10cb65.png

The voxels are visibile, but hidden, because they are in Live Booleans mode:

image.thumb.png.fbbc826ee17720e42f50b662c1cc0cf9.png

Cut Off operation:

image.thumb.png.ba2302d0f36723980e0b8f7acc07c9d9.png

The voxels are ghosted, so you can see the Cut Off result:

image.thumb.png.fca6cafd3a818181dccad30d404ff73a.png

Would it be possible to fix that? And all those tools that normally wouldn't work on a ghosted layer.

I think an "exception" should be triggered when the layer is used as Live Booleans.

Thank you.

Edited by thinkinmonkey
  • Like 1