3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.1 updates thread

With regards to visibility of the retopo mesh, Silo has a display mode called "ghosted shade" mode. It basically makes your background high-poly mesh display as an overlay over your new low poly mesh. This would work great regardless of your z-bias setting. You can see what it looks like here: http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6917&highlight=retopology

I think this would be excellent for 3D Coat.

Vista & 7 have big slowdown if there are some foreground transparent windows like instant messengers or download managers overlap 3D-Coat window.

Try ALT+ENTER - will it help?

This seems to help quite a bit. On Win7 64bit, 3DC (64bit) v3.1.15 DX-CUDA version.

• Advanced Member

With regards to visibility of the retopo mesh, Silo has a display mode called "ghosted shade" mode. It basically makes your background high-poly mesh display as an overlay over your new low poly mesh. This would work great regardless of your z-bias setting. You can see what it looks like here: http://www.silo3d.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6917&highlight=retopology

I think this would be excellent for 3D Coat.

+1 I second that one... Would be great to have in the retopo room.

• Advanced Member

I think I would like to see more updates in UI and workflow,it's like 3DC is turning into new Blender or Zbrush - 1000000 options and buttons, cool for some 'hardcore' folks but I think UI and general workflow needs a bit cleanup.More focus on UI,good usability and user friendly features please.

Bug ?

There is a problem with symmetry in retopo mode, when you try to symmetry x for example and try point&faces on the left side,new mesh won't be created, seems retopo mesh can be created only on right side.

• Advanced Member

yeah the one sided retopo is not a bug to say, i asked to make retopo work on both sides as well :)

For me and a lot of artists here the main reason not to sculpt with 3dc or even mudbox is performance, zbrush has amazing speed when sculpting that results in super smooth brush feel. So any improvements to 3dc voxel performance will be 1st priority for us over any features

I think I would like to see more updates in UI and workflow,it's like 3DC is turning into new Blender or Zbrush - 1000000 options and buttons, cool for some 'hardcore' folks but I think UI and general workflow needs a bit cleanup.More focus on UI,good usability and user friendly features please.

Bug ?

There is a problem with symmetry in retopo mode, when you try to symmetry x for example and try point&faces on the left side,new mesh won't be created, seems retopo mesh can be created only on right side.

• Advanced Member

Certainly before the BETA becomes release, the UI could stand for some homogenization and consistency, however, I much prefer a more feature rich toolkit, even if it takes a little more time to learn it.

At this point there is still missing functions that Andrew is knowingly working as hard as possible to add (thank you Andrew! :D amazing!) I'm sure at some point the feature set will be full enough that maybe cleaning up the interface could become higher on the list.

However, another point is... if you "fix" the interface, it's saying that the functionality is thought out and done-ish.

There are some things, I think, that are developing by adding and adjusting features, where certain areas of the interface are beginning to merge and blur.

I could totally see, at some point, all the "rooms" might merge and not be as separated... because we've been talking around the forum about referencing this, or that from one room, in another etc...

namely, referencing meshes while sculpting in voxels... then maybe there's a sculpt room only, and you can sculpt voxels or meshes there, and a painting room... hey why couldn't that be part of the sculpt room too... ok, so wait, that would leave only the uv, and render room... but why is render room a room??? maybe that becomes integrated with the sculpt/paint room too??? who knows... at this poit I WELCOME WITH OPEN ARMS any and all new functionality that Andrew can bring... and I can understand and accept the minor inconsistencies for now.

:D that's just my opinion, although I would have agreed more when I was new to 3DC as it took some effort to discover the work flow, but once I got it wheee!

for what it's worth anyway... that's my thinkin'

oh, one last thing... to me, it's not like Andrew just adds features for features sake... each and every one is based on input from customers or some required functionality, and not just random, typically they are issues that come up over and over, meaning that they aren't frivolous, but rather, they are necessary for some group bigger than one person.

• Advanced Member

Bug ?

It's no bug actually... The retopo room lets you lay polys on only one side of the symmetry axis. You have to toggle invert symmetry option on the upper toolbar.

Certainly before the BETA becomes release, the UI could stand for some homogenization and consistency, however, I much prefer a more feature rich toolkit, even if it takes a little more time to learn it.

BTW According to Andrew these current releases are not beta. He said as long as he feels it's stable it will be a release version, if it feels unstable he will add "beta" to the version number.

• Advanced Member

BTW According to Andrew these current releases are not beta. He said as long as he feels it's stable it will be a release version, if it feels unstable he will add "beta" to the version number.

oh.... ok.

technically... it's certainly his discretion whatever he wants to call it, but... in my mind

alpha is potentially unstable

beta is anything that is not fully release ready (including typoes etc... consider gmail beta... released for YEARS!, but still beta and useful, not super buggy)

released version should be relatively speaking bug free.

Sorry for my incorrect statement. I did not mean to imply anything negative about the software.

So I guess these are technically more like "maintenance releases" which is a COMPLETELY valid schema... sorry for my misunderstanding.

• Advanced Member

Actually GMail isn't beta anymore either. :p: You made your point though.

So did you ;) and I am totally cool either way (for the record, I meant that it WAS in beta for year.. Gmail that is... another marvel of awesomeness)

• Advanced Member

It's no bug actually... The retopo room lets you lay polys on only one side of the symmetry axis. You have to toggle invert symmetry option on the upper toolbar.

I didn't know that ! Thanks

I still think 3DC workflow with voxels is too complicated, for example the essential thing > how to import low poly,uv mapped object,sculpt in voxels and export a displacement map? I'm currently discussing it in a proper thread and cakecaller is so nice he tries to help me but it's way too difficult,in paint mode it's easy in voxels .... hmmm it needs a lot of steps,imports,exports .... if it would be simplified it would be so much more fun without a steep learning curve.

Updated to 3.1.16

Changes:

- New major feature! I made possibility to reduce polycount in voxel scene during export. It is very helpful for printing, exporting just for render, exporting objects to be curve profiles, exporting for game-engines for static objects.

- Manual updated.

- Sketch tool improved - there is now way to easy deactivate intersection planes (visibility eyes like in layers).

- Curves tool in paint mode will work more predictable with back faces, snap to surface improved. It worked badly on the edge of thin surface.

3.2 postponed to December because of marketing reasons. There is no actual difference for you because development will run in usual rate.

• Advanced Member

- New major feature! I made possibility to reduce polycount in voxel scene during export. It is very helpful for printing, exporting just for render, exporting objects to be curve profiles, exporting

Awesome Andrew!

Now it is possible to actually export geometry which previously was trapped inside the program (e.g. after use of the Warp-Tool).

• Applink Developer

This is nice update again. Reduce polycount is just what I need in my current project. Thanks again Andrew for making this program. I have to say that

I'm your fan and will be like that in the future too. Keep up good work.

Thanks for the updates Andrew!

If you please, I would advise you to take a look at the way brush strokes overlap each other in an empty layer. I'm still getting artifacts when painting one lighter stroke over a darker stroke. I have to then constantly go back and smooth the artifacts, just slows things down.

• Advanced Member

- Curves tool in paint mode will work more predictable with back faces, snap to surface improved. It worked badly on the edge of thin surface.

The Draw with Splines tool in the paint room is still amazingly unwieldy and does NOT function as it should. There is NO WAY I can move any of the nodes once they're laid down unless I commit to it by pressing ENTER and that hardly means anything in terms of workflow... I can't use this tool although I'd love to. The video says it all:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/eq00pa

• Advanced Member

Updated to 3.1.16

Changes:

- New major feature! I made possibility to reduce polycount in voxel scene during export. It is very helpful for printing, exporting just for render, exporting objects to be curve profiles, exporting for game-engines for static objects.

What is the difference between quadrangulate and reduce poly? Which is not better?

What is the difference between quadrangulate and reduce poly? Which is not better?

Well quadrangulate makes quads for one thing. It also sends it to the retopo room so that you can continue working on the retopo or mark the seems, or just send it directly to the painting room. The new reduction only happens when you export voxels as an object. I must say I made up a really quick and simple sculpture and checked the polycount at about 2.9 million, then exported it to an LWO file and reduced it to about 62,000 (98%) and I think it looks quite good.

3dcdecimation.th.jpg

• Advanced Member

"quadrangulate" generates quads, which is equal to auto-retopo.

"reduce poly" generates triangles, which is ready for 3D Printing.