3DCoat Forums

3D-Coat 3.5 updates thread

Hi Andrew,

Is using DX a workaround for memory shortage?

I think that 3.5.25C(Mac) also has an issue of memory shortage, it runs only on opnengl.

Do you have any idea for this?

(Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549), AMD Radeon HD 6970M with 2GB VRAM, iMac12,2 (i7 3.4GHz 8GB DDR3))

• Contributor

There's a problem when using sketch tool and e panel rectangle and other non brush tools.Start with default sketch go to rectangle selection and subtract part of cube,then drag out selection again.It fills in parts of planes.Also undo does not work.

3.5.26 cuda DX64

Updated to 3.5.26 (Win)

Changes:

- LC tools got major update. Still alpha, still need some re-organisation.

- I made correct transition to voxels after LC tools, correct Undo/Redo after voxelization, solved problem related to "explosion" of the mesh.

- Sketch tool/reference image are corrected to work well with non power 2 textures and to avoid shadowbox preview in tools but Sketch tool.

- I made warning if there is no enough disk space to write file or if something prevents to save correctly (to avoid loosing work).

- "Run brush along curve" issue solved - http://t.co/PO38ma46

- Symmetry issues fixed

3.5.25A

- enabled materials/masks painting (still slow on big maps, will be resolved very soon)

- UI improvement - you will be able to exclude almost any UI elements that you are not using - http://t.co/4Uimmq6h (see [Customize] button).

- New voxel export option - "File->Export projected quads" - alternative high quality quad only voxel export

- Enabled "VoxCleanup" command in retopo menu just for experiment - it is tesselation that works like dynamesh in ZB (done many months ago). Probably it is better to remove it from there and place just in export, but I will consider.

- Fixed problem of painting with big brush near symmetry plane using material.

- Important instability issue in Paint room solved.

3.5.25B

- dependence parameters restored, CustomizeUI button moved to memu (Edit & Windows).

- serious problem related to Res+ fixed

- Ignore back faces will work correctly with eraser.

- when 3B saved 3DC creates jpg with preview in same folder. When opening JPG-s will be visible too. Clicking on them will open 3B file.

3.5.25C

- Painting over big materials/masks will be fast too. Now optimization done.

- Even if UI element is hidden with new "Customize UI" mode it will be accessible through the hotkey.

• Contributor

Symmetry problem is still on when using TubeClay and SmudgeClay(smudgeClay is probably very hard to make work in symmetry near center line)

post-1195-0-48998100-1318673432_thumb.jp

I think you guys are not stressing enough the center line in your tests,this is why you think issue is fixed.

Undoing seems rock solid.

No holes when returning to vox too.

(I tested all this VERY briefly.)

request:a Depth slider for the Livecaly brush please...

• Advanced Member

Little feature suggestion for Andrew(and also Farsthary for live clay/surface more):

Sub pixel sampling for wacom stylus pen.

It seems to me that if you do fast strokes you always have a jagged/polygon line(I mean that the path made by your stroke it's not a curve but a polyline).

If I remember well wacom's drivers can give the floating point values for the pixel coordinates,to avoid this.

It's implemented ?

If it's not.it's hard to do it?

Keep in mind that I'm talking about fast strokes on really low res meshes(so it can't be a problem with too much resources needed).

Thanks

• Contributor

- "Run brush along curve" issue solved - http://t.co/PO38ma46

Andrew,can you explain how that feature works?

I don't understand how it works and tips does not say anything.

When i press apply I get nothing except little red arrows on mesh...

and those wont go away whatever I do,even if I uncheck the box...even if I choose file-new...those little arrows are still there.

post-1195-0-86291100-1318679088_thumb.jp

• Reputable Contributor

Andrew,can you explain how that feature works?

I don't understand how it works and tips does not say anything.

When i press apply I get nothing except little red arrows on mesh...

and those wont go away whatever I do,even if I uncheck the box...even if I choose file-new...those little arrows are still there.

post-1195-0-86291100-1318679088_thumb.jp

Confirmed on win32 non cuda, 3dcoat version 3.5.26

Other problems:

LiveClay brush only smooths the mesh, does not build height at all.

Some mesh still has explosion problems when using LC brushes. Not sure yet the steps to reproduce the problem.

Are any new brushes in the update like move etc? They are not in my version.

Same runtime error as in past versions stwiching from LC to Surface brushes. As stated in another post,never had a runtime error before. Used 3DCoat since 2007

• Advanced Member

Not much fortune from my point of view.

Lc gives a lot of crashes,and Lc brush seems to work only when the surface is more or less flat,if the curvature is high(concave or convex) practically it does nothing.

I have also a performance issue,sometime a 50000 mesh is really to slow to sculpt.

This performance problem is really odd,the first time I tried today the new build I was able to sculpt easily a 600000/700000 mesh sphere with good performance(simply trying some strokes on the sphere) but as I have tried to restart(from a really low res base sphere) and I have tried to shape the surface like a head(with no much more faces but with a surface with more curvature variation) the performance really go down

Holes seem fixed.

• Advanced Member

Ok,maybe I found some more reasons about my issues.

I have a wacom intuos 4,I think some problem is related to this.

If I try to use the mouse performance are better and I can sculpt even on convex,concave surface.

I think something is wrong on how wacom is handled by 3dcoat with liveclay.

• Advanced Member

Wacom drivers are good,everything works like a charm(apart live clay),also voxels mode works well(the sub pixel request I made previously it has nothing to do to the problem I'm having now)

To be clear,I'm not ranting about performance, I'm simply trying to understand what is happening.

Not much fortune from my point of view.

Lc gives a lot of crashes,and Lc brush seems to work only when the surface is more or less flat,if the curvature is high(concave or convex) practically it does nothing.

I have also a performance issue,sometime a 50000 mesh is really to slow to sculpt.

This performance problem is really odd,the first time I tried today the new build I was able to sculpt easily a 600000/700000 mesh sphere with good performance(simply trying some strokes on the sphere) but as I have tried to restart(from a really low res base sphere) and I have tried to shape the surface like a head(with no much more faces but with a surface with more curvature variation) the performance really go down

Holes seem fixed.

We continue to work over performance. It will be definitely much faster. Now performance drops down after some time, but it will be definitely fixed.

Next week we will post additional update to improve stability, quality and performance. We work over this a lot.

We plan to do universal custom brush but it is a bit later.

Flatten brush in surface mode is breaking liveclay models. Exploding mesh where you brush, it can be the brush itself and it's smooth function. It's the only one that does that so far.

I am also getting exploded meshes from the flatten brush. In my case it happens when using the flatten brush on top of the Mud2 brush.

I have problem with mac 3.5.25C, always gives "out of memory" error and quit unexpectedly upon saving ...

Have tried clear up all previous versions and preferences, reinstall twice, still the same error.

Going back to 3.5.24 for daily use now, which is quite solid imho, looking forward to .26 for mac :)

My spec: iMac i7, 8G ram, os 10.6.8

Here's something I don't understand. My sculpture was fairly dense, so I decided to save a new version and start using Reduce to lower the poly count. I dramatically reduced it, but after saving the file I notice that the file size is like, 4X as large. Before the file size was 170MB the new file is 748MB.

Hi,

I have problem with mac 3.5.25C, always gives "out of memory" error and quit unexpectedly upon saving ...

Have tried clear up all previous versions and preferences, reinstall twice, still the same error.

Going back to 3.5.24 for daily use now, which is quite solid imho, looking forward to .26 for mac :)

That case may be same to me ... if it occurs on the painting mode. Some people reported same issue.

I thought that Andrew said "use DX version" for the issue, but DX's not available on mac.

Please use DX version. GL drivers from NVidia still have problem.

That's exactly same to me ;-)

• Reputable Contributor

We continue to work over performance. It will be definitely much faster. Now performance drops down after some time, but it will be definitely fixed.

Next week we will post additional update to improve stability, quality and performance. We work over this a lot.

We plan to do universal custom brush but it is a bit later.

Andrew, I hope consistency in brushes improves in this update. I have had a hard time with smoothing. Sometimes it seems to melt (which is usually what I want) and other times it seems to take chunks out of the object, like it was a scrape tool or something worse. I also noticed that the Pose tool continues to drop your selection when you switch (in Pen Mode) from lasso ) to select a large area like an arm) to a regular pen (to soften the border of the selection). Very frustrating.

H Andrew

me same procedure with 3DC 3.5.25c i run most times in Out of Memory Errors and can´t work with that Version i go back to last one

version .

Is it interesting for you to get Crash Logs of this Phenomena ?

best

Andre

quote name='bona' timestamp='1318835495' post='68273']

• Advanced Member

I've had multiple crashes in paint mode using 3.5.26A using the polygon lasso paint mode. 26A also seems to have re-introduced a bug that I haven't seen in awhile that will (seemingly) randomly erase large parts of texture maps when zoomed in. It erases parts of your textures in an almost checkerboard fashion. If there are multiple layers, each layer is erased in the same way. I can provide screenshots if necessary.

• Reputable Contributor

I can't say for sure Abn, the UV's are symmetrical and I 95% of the time have the visible plane turned off. I have noticed some issues where the symmetry was turned off and I was getting weird draw-through problems.

If the UV's have islands overlapping, like you might do for a game character, it will paint through regardless..because both sides share the same texture space.