3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Okie i think found a transparency bug with alpha 75 for direct painting, let know know if its a bug! I know Andrew is working on the GUI code, but i hope he can fix this real quick and release a fix(alpha 76). I'm trying out Kris Kosta skin texturing technique but in order for this to work i would need clean transparency. Here is the video showing off his technique:

http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/showthread.php?t=030094

Check the attached picture for the bug, also loading a PNG that has transparency into 3DC as pen gets messed up also. That same PNG loads into Modo just fine. In the meantime if anyone knows a good workaround please let me know. -_-

post-564-1239335307_thumb.jpg

Okie i think found a transparency bug with alpha 75 for direct painting, let know know if its a bug! I know Andrew is working on the GUI code, but i hope he can fix this real quick and release a fix(alpha 76). I'm trying out Kris Kosta skin texturing technique but in order for this to work i would need clean transparency. Here is the video showing off his technique:

Check the attached picture for the bug, also loading a PNG that has transparency into 3DC as pen gets messed up also. That same PNG loads into Modo just fine. In the meantime if anyone knows a good workaround please let me know. -_-

Hey, I actually get the same thing on something I was trying yesterday/today. The image alpha is dandy, but when I got to paint I too get the grey halo.

So chalk up that bug for another +1.

he application failed to initialize properly (*********) . Click on OK to terminate the application

My apologies on this is the error, but those numbers are wrong, tried to get a screenshot of it this time but there are no resources available when this happens. Anyways take it for what it is. might just wana ignore it Andrew.

It looks like resources leaking (handles or pointers). I will make careful checking before release.

Please pay attention if pointers count in status string below grows constantly.

Not very understood, but please send me this sample PNG file, I will check.

• Advanced Member

Hey, I actually get the same thing on something I was trying yesterday/today. The image alpha is dandy, but when I got to paint I too get the grey halo.

So chalk up that bug for another +1.

Please follow the SamplePen.psd in Samples folder to make your own pen.

I don't think 16bit per channel is necessary for diffuse textures, 99% of the monitors are displaying 8bit per channel(even less for LCD ones).

akira.

SkinPen01.rar

I don't think 16bit per channel is necessary for diffuse textures, 99% of the monitors are displaying 8bit per channel(even less for LCD ones).

akira.

Oops... :o

That solved it... lol.

Thanks akira!

• Advanced Member

I'm messing with Bodypaint right now, and that make me love 3DCoat more and more, there are only few little thing I would like to see in DP to make it even better but right now it is so powerful and simple to use compare to Bodypaint.

Currently I got visible seam while painting Normal map, I hope it can be fixed.

-Is it possible to have a better preview of your brush while using the Stamp tool, right now you got a graph inside the brush and a really blurry shape of the pattern you are using as a brush.

-Is it possible to flip the picture you are using as brush on X or Y axis? I found how to randomly filp it but I want it to be flipped once to be used without having to to it in Photoshop.

-Is there a way to change between foreground and background color randomly while you are painting? Like in photoshop?

And the best would be to have a random color taken from a gradient done from your foreground and background color.

Finally, pressure doesn't seems to be taken in account while painting, I toggle the opacity from pressure but nothings happen, did I miss something?

Dp is awesome ;)

• Advanced Member
-Is there a way to change between foreground and background color randomly while you are painting? Like in photoshop?
Yes, as show in the picture below:

But 3DC does not randomly change the colors while painting, only at the beginning of each stroke.

Another feature I would like to see is "Fade between two colors" with pen pressure.

And also the ability to assign the eraser tool to the eraser side of a wacom pen.

• Advanced Member

If akira hadn't of pointed that out I was going to say it looked like some kind of pre-multiply issue. Out of curiosity does anyone know why 16-bit per channel images cause this problem in 3DC? For color brushes it's fine to use 8bit images, but I can see at times maybe needing a 16bit alpha for sculpting.

• Advanced Member
Not very understood, but please send me this sample PNG file, I will check.

You know whats funny, it was not working yesterday but today i imported the same PNG into 3DC and it works! There is probably a "loading" bug in there but i'm not sure how to reproduce however if i do i'll post the step. I'm just glad it work, now i can get back to my texturing! :yahoo:

@Akira thanks for file i actually attempt load my own pen(same setup as yours and even tried TIFF) but i was getting error upon loading them hence the halo picture. There is probably a bug, if i run into it again i'll post the step. The actual error that pop up was when i loaded a PSD, or TIFF it was some sort of combo of numbers and letter(damn i should of taken a screenshot!). BTW just loaded a 8bit per channel TIFF with transparency, it still has that grey halo..so i'll stick with the PNG file.

• Advanced Member

Confirmed. I recreated SonK's brush as a 16bit multi-layer tiff and got the same halo around the color. The color of the halo is dependent on the color selected in the color palette.

If akira hadn't of pointed that out I was going to say it looked like some kind of pre-multiply issue. Out of curiosity does anyone know why 16-bit per channel images cause this problem in 3DC? For color brushes it's fine to use 8bit images, but I can see at times maybe needing a 16bit alpha for sculpting.

This is indeed the reason for the 16bit brushes. The 16 bits are not for the color channel, they are used here for the grayscale range, which results in quality gains that are most visible in the height channel. Also, if you're using a black and white color channel instead of the SamplePen.psd's colorized layer, the 16bit values give you a smoother falloff on your alpha. I was surprised to see that the SamplePen.psd has a semi-transparent color channel, making it less accurate. It's not even just 50%, you can add 3 copies before it becomes opaque. Anyway, a while back Andrew added 16-bit support through multi-layer tifs. Now when I import a 16bit multi-layer tif I get this error:

"C:\...(3DC address)...\test.tif: wrong data type 7 for "RichTIFFIPTC"; tag ignored"

Address edited by me for brevity. But the brushes themselves still seem to work, so the program can still read the 16-bit data on all channels. The result however is the unfortunate gray halo that SonK pointed out initially. I suspect that mocaw is right and the color alpha is being premultiplied with the color from the color palette.

One thing I would like to request is full bit support for exr format (and any others that will support it, like tiff) in all image inputs (materials, masks and brush channels). It doesn't matter if the brush alphas are 16bit if the material's height/depth channel is still 8-bit. Once we have the ability to paint 16bit on all channels we should see some smoother depth values in general. Smoother spec too, since that also leverages grayscale.

Also +1 vote from me for the addition of flip on X and Y of brush alpha. This will greatly reduce trips to Photoshop to make flipped brushes and save disk space by reducing file count (just like the addition of the ability to invert and flip X or Y of mask did).

Another bug? I just noticed this while posting. I've been playing with the VS tools recently, so I had ignored the new DPainting with the exception of a few tests. Now that I'm playing with it though I noticed something:

-cube-mapping of materials is impossible to adjust with right button tools now because RMB is slave to smooth control whenever mouse-over the mesh. This is a huge disadvantage; the only way to adjsut the scale of rotation is to take the mouse off of the mesh, which removes the preview! So now we cannot use the cube-mapped preview through the cursor while we adjust the scale/rotation/translation of materials? If this is not a bug, then please change it back, this was one of my favorite tool features. Changing smooth size/strength/etc while trying to adjust a material is really annoying! The hint still even says that RMB should be used to control material placement, so how did it get changed? If we reverse the order and set the smooth values to be adjusted when the cursor is not over the mesh we will get back the cube-mapped preview while we adjust mats.

-Oliver

• Advanced Member
"C:\...(3DC address)...\test.tif: wrong data type 7 for "RichTIFFIPTC"; tag ignored"

-Oliver

yup that was the error, thanks for the confirmation and another vote for supporting OpenEXR, since both Modo and Mudbox support it.

• Advanced Member
Please pay attention if pointers count in status string below grows constantly.

That's happening with me in alpha 75 in sculpt mode. It's subtracting by about a hundred a second while idle and by about a thousand or more a second when sculpting. I'm also getting out of memory errors which may or may not be related. Restarting the program fixes the problem and auto-save on crash works, thankfully.

This video shows two retopology bugs. I did this with the Add Quads tool and you can see some of the points are quit sticking to the surface, but floating above it. If I delete the polygons connected to that point and rebuild them I can get it closer to the surface.

The other bug I've seen happen before. In the video I have the Delete Polygons tool active. You can see the yellow selection makes it look like there are two polygons selected, like they're layered on top of eachother.

http://screencast.com/t/4oVqisch

I see what's happening now with the first bug. With the Tweak Vertices tool I can drag the vertices away from the base mesh, they don't stick. After they've been dragged away from the base mesh I can no longer grab the verts, the little "selection ball" doesn't appear.

2009-04-11_0228.png

Update: it also isn't sticking right when you Apply Symmetry, the polygons on the "new" side are floating away from the model and I have to "tweak" the points until they snap to the base mesh.

When importing .obj files, the grid seems to be placed in the vertical centre of the object, can it be placed at the base of the model?

In other words - The model im exporting has its feet on the surface of the home grid, but importing into 3D coat moves the vertical position of the model so it is centred on the home grid

gridshot636.jpg

• Advanced Member
When importing .obj files, the grid seems to be placed in the vertical centre of the object, can it be placed at the base of the model?

In other words - The model im exporting has its feet on the surface of the home grid, but importing into 3D coat moves the vertical position of the model so it is centred on the home grid

gridshot636.jpg

3DC will zero out the translation of the object when importing.

The simplest solution to your request is to move the pivot point of your model to the ground(world center) before importing into 3DC.

akira.

Its a model made out of many separated parts. I placed it above the grid so its feet were on top of the grid. As philnolan3d says, 3dc moved it back to the middle. I could get around it by grouping the object, and moving the group pivot to the base. I'm sending a copy of the .obj and .mtl file to andrew shpagin

Wow this is really frustrating. I tacked this onto someone else's thread but I think it's important enough for this thread. Sculpt something with VS, then retopologize and mark seems. Now you're ready to bake it for painting on. But what if you're not happy with the UV map that was created? As far as I can tell you're stuck. Either be happy with the one it created or stop this project where it is.

This map won't do, it's all distorted.

2009-04-13_1153.png

• Advanced Member
Wow this is really frustrating. I tacked this onto someone else's thread but I think it's important enough for this thread. Sculpt something with VS, then retopologize and mark seems. Now you're ready to bake it for painting on. But what if you're not happy with the UV map that was created? As far as I can tell you're stuck. Either be happy with the one it created or stop this project where it is.

This map won't do, it's all distorted.

2009-04-13_1153.png

isn't it possible to just redo the uv mapping? That's what I did with the penguin I made before. Andrew just redid the uv in the tutorial.

I don't exactly remember your penguin (though I do remember it was nice) but I believe the penguin was an actual object. Mine is currently just a retopo mesh, it hasn't been merged yet. I could do it after merging, but by then it would be too late, the baking would already be done. I tried the Export UV command but it must be exporting the voxels as well, because I ended up with a 500MB LWO file. I'm pretty sure LW can't load 22 mil. polys.

Edit: Or I wonder if it's possible to export the full voxel model, then export the retopo mesh, fix the UVs, then load them both in and do the baking.

• Advanced Member

maybe I'm not understanding, or maybe I never run into this problem because I don't

use 3d-coat's UV system, but I just:

- sculpted in voxels

- retopologized with retopo tools

- export raw object

- (took into Silo and made sure symmetry was good, then re-exported)

- imported into UVLayout and did UVs

- deleted original retopo mesh, then imported 'external mesh' back into retopo tools

- merged into scene and painted away

not exactly streamlined, but it guarantees I'll get everything the way I want it...and

definitely not 'stuck' <shrugs>

post-475-1239684664_thumb.jpg

Wow OK that sounds just like what I need to do, just using LW instead of Silo and UVLayout, thank you. I somehow didn't see that External mesh option. Yep, just did a quick test and it seemed to work as expected. I have to re-stick each point to the base mesh, but it's better than nothing.