3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member

Is looking great Andrew. Feels much cleaner with the dockable layout and I quite like the Paint/Sculpt/Retopo/UV/Voxels tabs at the top left (however they do have a slight lag when switching between them)

I'd also like to see a difference between tabs that are selected and ones that are 'behind'. If the selected tab header became brighter it would be instantly clear that it is indeed selected.

I noticed a few bugs.

1. Between the Paint/Sculpt/Retopo/UV/Voxels tab and the sliders panel above it there is a very small pixel thin gap where an underlying model in the viewport will show through.

2. Crash bug where I maganged to kill 3dCoat by Pressing L to bring up the Layers Panel. (I haven't been able to reproduce it yet but I'll keep trying)

It's a great move in the right direction though.

• Advanced Member

Wow, this is really a step in the right direction! :yahoo: I love the 'pages' - grouping the tools like this really helps to simplify the application!

I have a few suggestions, but overall this is great and well worth the effort:

* When you drop a panel over another to form a tabbed group, could you make the blue box surround the full area of the panel group you a docking to, rather than just the tab area at the top. I found this very confusing at first as it is too similar to the above/below mode.

EDIT: To add to this, I think it would be good if the docking "hit box" was the size of the whole panel too, rather than just this top bit.

* When you pull a panel out of a group, can you update it's size to that of the group it was just in. It's strange to pull a tab out and have it be some arbitrary shape.

* When dragging a panel around, if you hold 'shift' can you make it so this prevents docking.

I look forward to seeing this progress over the coming weeks - and I'll be glad to upgrade when the time comes! :brush:

How do you bake normal maps from a voxel object. I just can't figure it out.

Right click on the voxel layer you want out. Quadrangulate it, then export through File>export.

I like the interface Andrew. It's much more organized. My only dislike is that you have to bounce back to the Paint tab to select a different brush, if you're sculpting a mesh or voxel object. Of course you can peel off the panel and move it around, but that is one that should be on the side in voxel sculpting and mesh sculpting by default, IMHO.

Then, I bug report based on the same topic... After tearing off the pen tab, and then closing it. Hitting "T" to pop it up again doesn't work, and eventually crashes 3DC.

This happens on Vista 64bit, both DX and OGL version. Alpha 76.

Hi,

It's Looking Great, Andrew!

I got a small bug but I can't do it again. I did it in 76 DX version and it disaperared after

I made a new installation.

I pressed Maximize icon in the top right corner in the window and the GUI compressed the window

in a "weird way". It was animating, slowly getting bigger and bigger, pushing menu text over each other

(I haven't been able to reproduce it after reinstalling).

Here's a major bug that should be a quick fix. On my laptop Cuda is not an option (although it's supposed to be), so If the Use Cuda box is checked and I load 3DC Voxels will not work. In previous alphas all I had to do was uncheck that box and restart 3DC. However in 76 the Use Cuda box is always checked, every time you start it, no matter what. I guess for now I'll just switch it to the Simple version.

Edit: nVidia updated the Cuda files so I installed them. Cuda finally works on my laptop! However the above bug could still be a problem for someone.

• Advanced Member
I quite like the Paint/Sculpt/Retopo/UV/Voxels tabs at the top left (however they do have a slight lag when switching between them)

I hope Andrew makes that "instant" but the reason it happen is because from Paint to Voxel your switching modes. It was laggy when jumping into Voxel mode in the past, maybe Andrew can make isntant in the future.

I got a little over excited. lol Posted the news on CGTalk as well as SpinQuad.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php...147#post5827147

Wow Phil thanks for posting screenshot i havent had the time to install it yet but it amazing how adding something as simple as tab view can change the look and feel of a application. One quick thing after looking at the current UV screenshot, it split into 2 viewport, left should be the 3D view, right will be the 2D view(UV preview).

• Applink Developer

I played 5min with new alpha and I liked it, liked it a lot. Taking tabs away and adding them together works very well. There is some crazy small things happening sometimes but overall this looks very promissing.

• Advanced Member

The interface is really looking nice. I would like to see the "pen operations" dockable and the top adjustments (Soft stroke, radius, focal shift, etc.) also dockable among others.

Thanks Andrew, V3 is going to be nice. :paint2:

• Advanced Member
Right click on the voxel layer you want out. Quadrangulate it, then export through File>export.

I don't understand. Usually I can figure these kinds of things out but after many days of trying I just don't get it.

How do you go from Voxel -> low poly retoop -> baked normal +displacment for low poly mesh.

For me when I try things it either crashes or just doesn't work properly.

• Advanced Member
The interface is really looking nice. I would like to see the "pen operations" dockable and the top adjustments (Soft stroke, radius, focal shift, etc.) also dockable among others.

Thanks Andrew, V3 is going to be nice. :paint2:

I agree! Being able to fully dock everything (including the toolbar on the far left) would be nice ...

Some bugs so far, Andrew, but great job (as usual)!

:)

I'm sure I posted these but then right after that I couldn't find them so here it is again. A few small little bugs.

In retopo mode the "Faces" word and number in the upper left is partially covered by the tab bar.

The color pickers (2 rectangles) have been made a little smaller, bu the red circle-slash stayed the same size, so it doesn't fit properly now. Maybe it's just not centered right.

The Navigator popup Appears normal, but if you click it's tab it becomes really big. It also tries to dock, which in this one case is a bad thing I think.

Artman: yes you're right about Smooth All.

• Advanced Member

yeah it's a lot like the blender interface now and very nice

if only the voxel brushes weren't waaaay so far away from where you model is, then you wouldn't have to take your eyes off of your model in order to find voxel brushes

I like the new interface. But please consider make some icons for the voxel tools. :)

Hey there, I'm not sure how icons would enhance the voxel sculpting tools. Perhaps you'd like to submit some ideas (Andrew solicited for this in another thread)?

• Advanced Member

I can confirm, merge artifacts are still there. Also the "pose" feature doesnt work as it should, always gives artifacts, from spikes to weird "double" geometry. Please see below picture-

post-1281-1240559831_thumb.jpg

PS: no voxel icons please :pardon: However some larger button and text size would be good for the paint/sculpt/retopo/UV/Voxel switches (riders). It should really stick out of the rest. Maybe even the tool buttons themelves should be bigger.

• Advanced Member
I like the new interface. But please consider make some icons for the voxel tools. :)

I think the worst thing about the new voxel buttons is not a lack of icons, but a lack of structure. Previously there were groupings to the commands (voxel, surface, scene stuff) now it's a flat list and more confusing because of it. I hope these tools are put into a panel so I can resize it to be three buttons wide again.

• Advanced Member
I think the worst thing about the new voxel buttons is not a lack of icons, but a lack of structure. Previously there were groupings to the commands (voxel, surface, scene stuff) now it's a flat list and more confusing because of it. I hope these tools are put into a panel so I can resize it to be three buttons wide again.

the same way that if you press space bar the tools comes up, you should be able to press a button and then all of the voxel brushes comes up

• Advanced Member
the same way that if you press space bar the tools comes up, you should be able to press a button and then all of the voxel brushes comes up

Yes, and I think that the tools floating window should be dockable, in a way that if it is docked to the left or to the right, the more you resize the panel, the more the icons readjust to fit it. In this way, if the dockable tools window reach a very short width, all the icon tools are arranged vertically.