3DCoat Forums

Twitter discussion: What Andrew is currently doing.

• Applink Developer

I don't know if this is possible but one solution could be that when you go back to voxel mode it would voxel the mesh only the area where you sculpt, leaving

the untouched area as it was in surface mode.

But booleans looks really great in the short video. Going into right direction for sure.

• Applink Developer

Care to elaborate ? Liveclay is in such an early state yet I don't see what voxel would do liveclay won't do when done.

Agree. I'm already seeing myself sculpting in surface mode most of the time. Really fast and fun. Fun part is because the LiveClay :)

Obviously I can only comment on what we have now, not what we well have in the future, but we have a whole collection of tools here, most of them we do not have in Surface mode. Even the ones we do have that are similar, I like the feeling of the the voxel version better. For example Build feels less mushy than Draw to me.

2011-06-03_1151.png

Please note I did not say all of them, I said most of them.

Whoa wait a minute, I was all ready to accept that those two tools are the same and then I went and tried them for the heck of it. They're completely different!

Video: http://screencast.com/t/Epe8nj4S8H

Another video: http://screencast.com/t/CQj1m9Jl

I only made the videos to show the point I was making, that the tools I like are not available in Surface mode and partly because I was confused at you were saying those two tools were the same, when I could clearly see they are not. I didn't do a move, I was showing that Build continuously adds geometry while Rapid2 doesn't. I was using a tablet but I purposely showed that I had sensitivity disabled so that it was a fair example of both tools. I don't really understand what's happening in your GIF, sorry.

Can we just have one set of Sculpting tools why so many?

-Basic Tools-

Clay / Scrape

Pinch

Crease

Flatten

Grab / Move

Rotate

Scale

Inflate

Pattern Stamp

-Extended Tools ( these tools should build a structure and stay live so when you affect them the sculpt moves)-

Bones / Curves

Muscles ( this tool is nice good job here)

and all should inverted with the right mouse button pressed.

• Advanced Member

Image editors like photoshop have loads of tools and loads of brushes. The way they sort that out is having a nice and simple GUI for it with well designed menus.

So i think 3DC should do a similar thing and change the GUI if anything rather than removing tools which would be a very bad idea. Sure there could be improvements to the most common tools but other than that lots of tools to use is a good thing, some of them need a few more adjustment options however.

But talking about the GUI, one thing 3DC still needs to do with it in my opinion is sort out the resource system -

http://3d-coat.com/mantis/view.php?id=161

The way it works now makes it annoying to use new content so usually i just don't, with most other apps it's as simple as navigating to my resource folders though.

• Advanced Member

Back on topic though, it seems there will be new Boolean operations which sound very useful.

Via - http://twitter.com/AndrewShpagin

I was busy with boolean operations in surface mode. They are almost as fast and stable as it should be, but still not ready for release.
Anyway, it is big step forward. Together with LiveClay it will be really powerful. Easy changeable topology + adaptive density!
First useful application of booleans - cutting off with E panel in surface mode - http://bit.ly/m4HkPi . Pay attention to sharp edges.
I finally achieved very good stability and speed in boolean cut with E panel even with very many sequential booleans - http://bit.ly/llo2IB

• 2 months later...
  • Advanced Member

Andrew...saw your posting regarding better PPP seamlessness...nice job! :)

(very happy to see you addressing this!)

BetterSeams.png

I wonder if there's a way to 'average' the padding values between each UV island

that has 'matched' edges, but specifically for the normals? (perhaps you're already doing this?)

It seems the normals information is having the greatest visual impact in breaking the seamless appearance.

Yes I can see that it would be different from further away. I just expected something much more drastic from the wording of the tweet, "Looks like I achieved some good success in seamlessness in PPP". But that's great if this is a small improvement and Andrew says it's getting even better than it's all good news.

• Contributor

Probably due to the nature of the maps: bumps are elevation only, normals are 3d vectors

Tangent space normal maps will always show seams even in AAA games if they would let us zoom close enough.

There is not much Andrew can do about this.

This is why artists (as you already know) are still highly encouraged to hide them whenever possible.

Object space normal maps are much more forgiving regarding seams.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Contributor

I am working over possibility to paint over all image planes in 3DC - materials, masks, reference image planes, patterns for logo/shadowbox.

Great!!! I dont care much about painting over materials/masks but I can't wait to try it along SketchTool. :brush:

Loading external images was exactly what stopped me from using this tool.

It was released much earlier than zbrush 's shadowbox and its exactly the same thing except that loading premade image required more organization.

Now its gonna be much easier to have fun with it. :)

Great!!! I dont care much about painting over materials/masks but I can't wait to try it along SketchTool. :brush:

Loading external images was exactly what stopped me from using this tool.

It was released much earlier than zbrush 's shadowbox and its exactly the same thing except that loading premade image required more organization.

Now its gonna be much easier to have fun with it. :)

Thanks, Andrew! That's exactly what SketchTool has been missing to let this gem shine. Now, anybody willing, can enjoy the precision and clear limits of projection sculpting, wrapped up inside a nice interface, all inside 3DC!

Best luck with that,

And, traditionally with all the new features sneak-peaks storming the community - can't wait to try them out!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bulba_normal.png - Andrew

I think I won't use voxel anymore if there's no bug forcing me to remesh. \O/ Thank you.

I just saw this, and am very happy to hear this! Very cool. Can't wait to get my hands on the build with this.