3DCoat Forums

Is that even possilbe with voxel tech? Maybe Andrew could explain this sooner than later if its possible so people will have realistic expectation with 3dc.

There was much discussion of this in the early days of this thread (when voxels were young). From what I gathered it may be possible, but would be extremely difficult. In fact this was a major thing that drove some people away from 3DC when I was telling them about it. Of course I didn't bring it up, but they asked.

I'd rather Andrew avoided anything else ZB IMHO.

Cheers to that. :drinks:

• Advanced Member

Found a bug maybe. If you paint in the 2D view, it will screw up your navigation in the 3D viewport. I'm not sure which tool i was using clone, and normal brush alot in the 2D view.

• Advanced Member
I couldn't agree more. Here is my wish list.

The ability to go up and down in resolution like in ZBrush.

I'm not convinced this is really necessary. I can't help but wonder if some people are wanting the feature simply out of habbit.

If it's because you wish to make big changes then can't you just use a larger brush or the Transpose tool?.

I suppose Andrew could add a cage transform tool with a definable resolution. Modifying the cage's points will then modify the underlying model.

Or maybe the reason for wanting to step down in detail is to increase performance?. :pardon:

• Advanced Member
Is that even possilbe with voxel tech? Maybe Andrew could explain this sooner than later if its possible so people will have realistic expectation with 3dc.

I think Andrew believes anything is possible. He's probably right too. :)

But the question is - is it really worth the time adding the feature?

Sometimes it's best to try to change minds rather than code. Much less effort.

• Advanced Member
I think Andrew believes anything is possible. He's probably right too. :)

But the question is - is it really worth the time adding the feature?

Sometimes it's best to try to change minds rather than code. Much less effort.

This is a good point, but maybe I am lazy, it is really difficult to me moving masses and making some adjustments to the silohuette, when you are at higher resolutions.

I think that the main purpose of voxels is freedom, which is limited if you can't go up and down in resolution.

Another thing which could help should be to improve the move voxel tool. While it works quite well (not perfect) at very low resolution, when you increase it, the move tool is too sharp, even if you set the smooth alpha brush.

And about alphas, I really would like the ability to not use them if I wish, and set the hardness of the brush with a falloff curve, exactly as in zbrush, which is one really basic but very powerful feature.

I know that up-down res is important. I am thinking for a long time how to do that. And I have idea, but it will take some time to implement it. So, it is impossible before release. But I keep it in mind.

What I want to do int this area is:

1) To down-res just drop out every odd point, but keep it in some temp storage

2) To up res I need to make new algoritm of growing res to preserve even points values (it is slightly problematic, now all values are smoothed to get cool and smooth result). Next, if value of low-res mesh is same as even value in backuped object I will take odd point from backup, othervice I will interpolate it.

• Advanced Member

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but new drivers and a new version of CUDA are out.

CUDA 2.2

CUDA Driver: NVIDIA Driver for Windows Vista 64-bit 185.85 Download

NVIDIA Notebook Driver for Windows Vista 64-bit 185.85

I'm using Blender version 2.48 for Windows and I'm getting quite a long list of errors in the console. Yes, you are right, it probably is an error in the mesh, but I created the terrain sculpture with voxels and then translated via "Quadrangulate for Per Pixel Painting", and textured it within 3D-Coat, so any errors are not my doing. I was able to import less complex meshes just a week ago using .obj from 3D-Coat, (78, I believe).

Psmith

Please show/send me the log.

• Advanced Member
I know that up-down res is important. I am thinking for a long time how to do that. And I have idea, but it will take some time to implement it. So, it is impossible before release. But I keep it in mind.

What I want to do int this area is:

1) To down-res just drop out every odd point, but keep it in some temp storage

2) To up res I need to make new algoritm of growing res to preserve even points values (it is slightly problematic, now all values are smoothed to get cool and smooth result). Next, if value of low-res mesh is same as even value in backuped object I will take odd point from backup, othervice I will interpolate it.

I am really happy to hear you are thinking about a solution to implement this feature.

It's not a problem if this will not be in the v3 release.

Updated to V83

Changes:

1) Much better Scrape and Flattern tools

2) Visual shaders preview. Better shares management.

3) Antialiased fonts

4) Tweaked interface theme, closer to Shdow's design

5) Many many bugfixes. Almost everything reported is fixed. If something important is forgotten, please post to Bugs thread.

• Contributor

Awsome!Thank you for shader preview, it was much needed.Should the parameters tab be for editing shader settings?I will play more.

Overall look is getting better.

Edit:Never mind, I see what param. tab does.

• Contributor

Refract shader seems to be lost when switching to render mode, as well as final render.(see image samples below)

Also rendering with 32 bit settings in image sequence with "loseless" on saves as jpeg.There is banding in background and pixelation.Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Still, good work!

Edit:I was wrong about saving only jpeg.Sorry, don't know what I did wrong.

post-913-1242236156_thumb.jpg

post-913-1242236166_thumb.jpg

I like the new theme and I like the group names for the left tool bar a lot. I was going to suggest making the gap bigger, but that takes it one step further. Some of the new icons on the left are a little confusing. It would be helpful if they had a name I think For example, I can see what the airbrush tool is so I know that one but the tool tip doesn't say it, just "draw with extrusion". Which isn't a very good description since it sounds just like what the pen tool does to me.

The next three are even more confusing, since I can't tell what it is based on the icon and it also doesn't have a name. The one that's a brush with the b&w triangles makes me think of Photoshop's dodge and burn tools, which I guess is partly right.

The next one's description "Magnification and reduction of layer height" is too many syllables to read at a glance and when you talk about "layer height" it sounds like the up/down arrows in the Layers panel. I would just make it "Magnify or Reduce".

For the next one I might remove the "tangent space". Maybe it's just me but I don't think many people really know what that is. I only know it from normal mapping for example and even then all I know is "it's the blue one" and it's the one that works for animation.

• Contributor

scrape brush is SO much better,I didn't even want to use it and now I feel I'm starting a long term relationship with it. :)

Thanx a lot for improvements!

There are still some artifact bands when using any of the surface tools (flatten(a lot,),move,clay(rarely)ect...)..I'm used dealing with those artifacts so it is not a big problem for me but new users will complain if it happens to them..

also If you could fix the fill brush ... ;) (LOT more cavity detection....) it would be awesome.

• Advanced Member

Hi Andrew,

v. 82

• Could you add an option to hide this thin camera "frame" in viewport ? I don't see much use for this frame.It sometimes distracting.
  • I'd like to see an option for setting one color background (not gradient one or image one)

The development is completly insane I didn't even have time to test 82 properly and there is 83 already :D I installed 83 but I've 9 days left of trial not 30 as it used to be I removed other version of 3DC but it didn't help.

[*]Could you add an option to hide this thin camera "frame" in viewport ? I don't see much use for this frame.It sometimes distracting.

There is an option, I've pointed it out twice in this thread, once just a few posts ago. Go to Camera > Customize Navigation, scroll down to the bottom, and uncheck "Display Navi Zone". Although I must admit, I wanted to get rid of it at first, but now that I know what it's for I keep it up.

• Advanced Member

Is there a way of customising the colours in the [space] menu? They're all really good skin tones -- but if you're painting a lizard, etc. :pardon: I would be cool if it sort of improvised around the two brush colours - a bit like Kuler or something?

There is an option, I've pointed it out twice in this thread, once just a few posts ago. Go to Camera > Customize Navigation, scroll down the the bottom, and uncheck "Display Navi Zone". Although I must admit, I wanted to get rid of it at first, but now that I know what it's for I keep it up.

Thanks for repeating yourself, I missed it both times :rolleyes:

• Advanced Member
Is there a way of customising the colours in the [space] menu? They're all really good skin tones -- but if you're painting a lizard, etc. :pardon: I would be cool if it sort of improvised around the two brush colours - a bit like Kuler or something?

David, you can place colours into each slot by 1st chosing a colour from the picker then right clicking over a slot. It will overwrite one that is there.

Alternatively you can load in .aco files from your Adobe Photoshop\Presets\Color Swatches folder. Nice

p.s. Kuler type colour scheme creator would be a sweet bonus :)

A number of things didn't show up (Shader previews, Params for voxel tools) after installing. I had to uninstall and reinstall.

A few bugs for build 83:

-When using the new popup panels (spacebar), all clicks are carried through to the viewport

-Scrape tool gets really jittery when using the soft scrap tick box, turning it doesn't stop the jittering

-When using the voxel Spikes tool, and selecting:

Pentips>dome1.obj

Pentips>dome1.obj

Pentips>dome1.obj

The curve jitters all over the place, lesser so with the following, but still happens:

Pentips>Rec1.obj

Pentips>Rec2.obj

Pentips>Rec3.obj

Pentips>Rec4.obj

And probably more. This didn't happen with build 82.