3DCoat Forums

• Advanced Member
If this is the case you could build a model very quickly using a greyscale image or a shaded pencil sketch. How cool would that be :)

Brilliant deduction! And you know what? Hopefully there will be a built in process so that you can do all the sketching that you speak of inside of 3d Coat =). You know an easy to follow procedure, like a button that says, "Sketch for Voxelation" or something like that. So you wouldn't necessarily have to do a lot of image saving and/or image importing.

I talked to Andrew lastnight briefly about it, it sure sounds like that is precisely what you will be able to do. :)

Alot of people are going to be pushing bricks with this new feature. We'll find out tomorrow of course, he's going to post the build then.

• Advanced Member
I talked to Andrew lastnight briefly about it, it sure sounds like that is precisely what you will be able to do. :)

Alot of people are going to be pushing bricks with this new feature. We'll find out tomorrow of course, he's going to post the build then.

awesome! and that's when I get my GTX 275 =)

• Advanced Member
Ah so nothing like Curvy 3d then for sketching.

(Hi Monsoon. New to this 3d coat thing. I have to find something that's as quick as I was used to in Curvy.)

Cheers

Mike R

Have you tried http://www.archipelis.com/ Its a 3d sketch program.

My friend has the Iphone version. Its very easy to use.

I hope Andrew implements something like this for 3dc.

• Advanced Member

The disadvantage with Archipelis over curvy is the output. Curvy outputs quads instead of tris. Which meant it was easier to use the exported model in other apps like zbrush and perhaps 3d coat. Not tried 3d coat with models with a tri mesh yet as I have only had 3d coat for about a week.

Cheers

Mike R

The disadvantage with Archipelis over curvy is the output. Curvy outputs quads instead of tris. Which meant it was easier to use the exported model in other apps like zbrush and perhaps 3d coat. Not tried 3d coat with models with a tri mesh yet as I have only had 3d coat for about a week.

Cheers

Mike R

Works fine. I've never been sure what the allure of quads was, outside of the fact that arrays for faces in sculpting is easier for lazy programmers to do. Originally, they were important for things before normal mapping came along for lighting purposes, but they are sort of an old deal now.

• Contributor
I've never been sure what the allure of quads was

Quads when combined with a good edgeflow can produce far more detaled results at lower million poly counts, For instance Voxels topology is basically tris and to achive a smooth detailed look I have to increase to around 18 million or higher in order for the tris not to effect the crispness of creases. with good flow and Quads I can acheve the same look in around 6 million. in ZBrush or Mudbox. This is definitely a Tri flow problem if you doubt try importing a Voxel sculpt raw into ZBrush or Mudbox and try detailing it there. I will if people are interested in my findings with these type of experiments post screens and vid on a seperate topic, I beleive this deters from the topic in question here.

As Voxel volume is resampled Tri or Quad work regardless Imported obj need not special topology, it is converted on load to voxel so its makeup is redundant.

- leigh

• Advanced Member

Any further word about this new feature?

Updated to 3.00.08J (only Win & OSX for now)

Changes:

- Hide tool on per-voxel basis (works in all modes - with pen, rect, lasso etc, respects masks). New hide tool seems has great potential. Combination of hide/unhide/delete hidden becomes strong hardsurdface modeling tool.

- Sketch tool - get model from 2 or 3 projections from reference images. You need 2 or 3 painted grayscale projections. White means filled, black - empty.

- Hide in retopo tool (in Select mode)

- found and fixed bug in retopo tool (points&faces) mentioned by Taros

- Fixed crash in expand/contract freeze (reported by Juan Carlos)

- It is possible now to view model with checker in UV-tool

- Left panel sections can be collapsed/expanded by click

• Applink Developer

WAU! using new hide tool...It opens so many extra doors how to model. It would be nice that when I hide a part of my sculpt and then choose Transform tool that it could cut that piece from hidden one and move around. Now what happens is that hidden one comes too. but again WAU! I think that I'm going to buy mac version even I don't own mac computer. I guess that is what fans do :jester:

• Contributor

Воксельный хайд очень крутой! Но с масками глючит: с кистями рисует за пределами маски, а с рамкой остается след от рамки и срез очень "шершавый".

Хайд в топологии работает отлично спасибо большое.

Обнаружил что pose tool работает с масками в режиме кисти, супер :) Отличный апдейт!

• Advanced Member
Воксельный хайд очень крутой! Но с масками глючит: с кистями рисует за пределами маски, а с рамкой остается след от рамки и срез очень "шершавый".

Хайд в топологии работает отлично спасибо большое.

Обнаружил что pose tool работает с масками в режиме кисти, супер :) Отличный апдейт!

Repeat in English please

• Contributor

Voxel hide extremely cool! But bug with masks: in brush mode drow outside mask, with border there mark from border on surface and cut very "rough".

Topology hide works perfect thank you.

Found that pose tool works with mask now in brush mode, super :) Great update!

• Contributor

Hovering over a point in "Point & Faces" tool (08J) no longer highlights and consequently doesn't permit the Delete key to do it's thing. Is Undo the only way to get rid of points that the tool can't use? By this last, in retopo I find that often (not always) the P&F tool doesn't seem to recognize the points it just created and consequently cannot employ to make a face (the tool reaches out for neighboring point in nearby faces but not the new points right under it's nose). I experiment and if it is working I'll use P&F otherwise the Quad tool is my fallback for new Face creation.

• Advanced Member

2 bugs :

1 Hide some voxels

unhide all

UNDO the unhide all

You can't unhide again the hidden voxels

2 when i use the 'pen pressure affect radius and depth' stroke with the hide tool large chuncks of the model are hidden

I'd like also to have a function to move the hidden voxels to a new layer with the same density.

2 bugs :

1 Hide some voxels

unhide all

UNDO the unhide all

You can't unhide again the hidden voxels

2 when i use the 'pen pressure affect radius and depth' stroke with the hide tool large chuncks of the model are hidden

I'd like also to have a function to move the hidden voxels to a new layer with the same density.

I can verify the hide/undo bug for win32 CUDA DX on XP sp2

The hidden voxels definitely seem to be deleted.

And I 2nd the feature request, essentially what we should have

would be "Split Hidden" and "Cut&Clone Hidden"

Also, Andrew with the Sketch tool(Really nice addition:);

is the order the images are applied in X, Z, Y ?

Thanks,

Jeff

• Advanced Member

I'm not quite sure I understand the usefulness of the new hide tool. For me it would be better if there were a function like Freeze in 3DC or Mask tool in Zbrush.

Perhaps someone could show a practical example of the Hide tool in action.

I want to know what my hidden voxels are up to while I'm working and having them shown but visually different would be easie to work with imho.

p.s. Tinker thanks for translation :)

• Advanced Member

First of im very pleased with the functionality of the new hide tool. Its many times more usefull then the previous version.

With that said there are some problems with using a normal stroke for hiding.

As Rimmason allready pointed out making a stroke for which both radius and depth are controlled by pen pressure creates holes.

Having only depth controlled by pen pressure appears to do nothing.

I think i remember reading on your blog you used the sphere brush for hiding.

Is it possible to link "sphere extrustion" to pen pressure?

For example if i use the normal sphere brush then a "sphere extrusion" value of 0.8 gives me a nice light stroke when i use ctrl to indent/scrape the surface of my model. If it was possible to control this value through pen pressure it would be great. Currently you can only work with a value of 0 which is much too crude. Here is how the values would relate:

Zero pen pressure would equal a sphere extrusion value of 1 (no indentation at all)

Full pen pressure would equal a value of 0 (a complete half sphere would be deducted).

Offcourse the usual % value would work as well giving the user even more control.

---------

I would consider this tool absolutely perfect if rimmason's bug got fixed and this would be implemented.

I also think i may understand what you meant when you said you could use this method for masking. If instead of hiding you would merely make a volume uninfluencable by brushes and perhaps discolor it you would have very crude masking (only with full influence and zero influence). If you can make it so that you can have transitional values where voxels are only partly effected by brushes you would have full masking which would be absolutely fantastic. Its definately worth it to put time in that.

3dioot

Does anyone have any example images for how Sketch is supposed to work I don't quite understand from the instructions. I have to agree with Ghib here. I'm not really seeing how the voxel hide is meant to be used, other than just hiding.

BTW I'm posting my bugs in the Beta Support section.

• Advanced Member

wouldn't it be better if you could just paint the reference images interactively inside of 3d Coat? Maybe another room just for sketching?

I think nurbs/precision modeling/sketching could be grouped together as it's own little section.

• Contributor

Played with new sketch tool, interesting greeble maker. To make it more useful it need "pick random 3 images from selected folder" button.

And need quick delete tool for result, bcos now to make new one, i have to click on "ok" button twice: once after "clean", second after switch from "merge tool".